Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
JD CUSTOM

Old 11-09-06, 14:26   #1
RB30X
Still a player

Car: 570Z
Trader Rating: (26)
Changing Spark Plugs on an RB30.

Changing spark plugs is a very simple procedure, but if done wrong can seriously hamper the performance of any engine. I hear horror stories on this forum of beginners stripping threads or cracking the ceramic insulator and leaving half a plug stuck in the head. Costly exercises to say the least. So here is a quick tech article to reffer to in threads regarding changing plugs etc.
Type of plug and gap distance can translate to missing at idle or breaking down at high rpm and boost which is not what anyone here wants. If you are changing plugs to track down as miss at idle etc, you might want to start the engine after you change each plug to see if that was the problem. If the miss remains, change leads and if it still lingers you're looking at an engine management issue.

I like to change my plugs when I change my oil. Obviously spark plugs are designed to work fine for much longer than 5000kms, but as with my oil, life's short when you play hard.

As far as plug type goes, I'm too tight to buy iridium tipped plugs so Super Cheap NGK BCPR6ES-11 are the plugs for me. These plugs are fine for standard to semi modified VL Turbos. I run 14 psi and just to be on the safe side, I gap my plugs down from 11 or 1.1mm to around .8mm. If your running more boost than that you are probably looking at a different temperature range of plug. If you do require a different plugs then you're probably a pro at changing them and won't be reading this article so I won't go into it.

The tools I have found easiest to use when changing RB30 plugs is a 3/8 drive ratchet, extension, uni joint and the spark plug socket, in that order. Ensure the spark plug socket has a rubber boot inside to hold onto the spark plug when you're lowering it into position. Nothing is worse than dropping a new plug into the depths of inlet runners, pollution gear and starter motors.

Starting at number 1 cylinder, remove the spark plug lead by pulling on the rubber boot that clicks over the plug only. If you pull on the lead itself you can pull it out of the boot. Start loosening the plug using the ratchet, once loose, remove ratchet and turn extension by hand. Remove plug and check condition. I like to put the old plugs back into the box it's replacement came in and label which cylinder it came out of. Spark plugs can be analysed to determine if an engine is running lean or rich.

With the new plug in the socket, lower into position using just the socket, uni and extension. Turn the socket extension clockwise using your fingers until it gets tight. You should be able to give the extension 7- 10 full turns before it gets tight. If the plug gets tight after 1 or 2 turns, stop, remove and start again. Once hand tight, connect the ratchet to the extension and tighten. This should be between half to 2 turns of the ratchet, depending on how much crap is in the threads of the head. Take note of how tight the plug you removed was. This is one reason why I prefer to use a smaller 3/8 drive ratchet, as you cannot get as much leverage on the smaller handle to break or over tighten a plug too easily. Reconnect the spark plug lead ensuring the boot is firmly over the top of the plug and you hear the "click".

Number 2 cylinder is performed the same as number 1. Number 3 is where it starts getting tricky. Due to the throttle body (on standard manifolds) being directly above the number 3 and 4 spark plugs means you have to work around it. Removing the lead off number 3 and 4 spark plugs may require a hand on both sides of the throttle body working from the drivers side. If you still cant reach the boot, you can use some bull nosed pliers to grab the boot only tug it out that way. Some brands of leads have a longer boot for easier removal but my Top Gun leads don't. Position the ratchet up against the throttle body and repeat the steps above.

[IMG]hhttp://www.calaisturbo.com.au/images/TechThreads/Changing%20Spark%20Plugs%20on%20an%20RB30/6.jpg[/IMG]

Number 4 plug is the hardest to get to. You will need to remove the harness plug on the throttle position sensor, as this is where the ratchet need to work from in order to get the angles right.

Remove the plug as previously mentioned. When lowering the extension for the installation of the new plug, you may need to guide the plug into it's hole using a your hand from in front of the throttle body. Here is where it is imperative that you hand tighten the spark plug using the extension only. If there was a plug you would have trouble getting in the thread correctly it would be this one. Due to the position of the throttle body, you may even have to angle the plug slightly towards the back of the engine to get it started. Plug slightly towards the back, with socket and uni pointing slightly towards the front. Ensure you reconnect the TPS plug.

Plugs 5 and 6 should be as simple as 1 and 2.

Double check all boots are secure and none of your leads have been mixed up (impossible to do if you reconnect after each one) and go for a test drive. Any problems with the plugs should arise immediately and providing you have given the engine a good thrashing during the test drive and everything seems fine. You can rest assured that your plugs will give you several long months of quality service.
Old 16-09-06, 00:26   #2
JET-6
THE BANINATOR

Car: MK1 Esky 2 door(2.3 turbo), Patrol monster truck, and a EB2 XR6
Trader Rating: (68)
Good well set out thread, cheers!

Email me @ thumpainc@bigpond.com
JET-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-06, 08:32   #3
DVLISH
Player

Car: vl calais
Trader Rating: (2)
very good thread mate but just to add to that, for plugs that are hard to insert by hand due to location, i sometimes use a 5/16 hose and fit it straight over the top of the sparkie securely, and then lower it and screw it slightly with that. the last thing you need is a sparkie to fall out of you hand in a tight space and the electrode to get hit against something and affect your gap!
Old 17-09-06, 09:19   #4
RB30X
Still a player

I never put plugs in by hand either, especially RB30's (i don't think its possible) but a hose on the end will definently give you more angling to get the thread right.
Old 18-09-06, 10:05   #5
cal-a-kid
Player

Car: LX Torana hatch ---> with an rb30et
Trader Rating: (8)
nice tip with the hose.. I will give it ago next time I change mine.

Excellent tech article Tim!!!

Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabat
The Torana would have won - Jason.
cal-a-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 00:58   #6
STCKVL
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Good Thread

Dude this is an excellent well written article.

Being a mechanic by trade I obviously already knew how to do this but you can never get enough information!!

Just thought I might add a couple of things. If you don't mind. If you do i'm very sorry!

1) Using a hose around the top of the plug to pull them out or put them in is an excellent thing to do. Makes life really easy.

2) Sometimes a good idea to blow out each hole before removing plugs. This prevents dirt from entering the cylinder head and damaging the engine.

3) Also a good idea to check gaps before putting new plugs in. My boss tought me this. They are usually always correct but you will be very surprised at how many are incorrect.

Hope this helped out a little more.

Again excellent thread and well written.
Old 28-09-06, 19:35   #7
michael2427
Official Non-VL Owner

Car: Coming Soon
Trader Rating: (10)
also u may hit a injecotor plug off while fiddling around with the leads a good idea to check there all in once ur finished
michael2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-06, 11:51   #8
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

Car: 2012 ExtraCab Hilux 4X4, RB30DET 180SX
Trader Rating: (19)
this tread has turned a simple job into a hard core sounding job..
Old 30-09-06, 14:33   #9
RB30X
Still a player

Only hard core if you get it wrong.
Old 30-09-06, 14:34   #10
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

Spark plugs are really just a bolt. If you get taking 6 bolts out then back in wrong you have problems..
Old 30-09-06, 14:59   #11
RB30X
Still a player

Alright smarty pants, there are a lot of younger, less experienced VL owners on this forum than yourself that haven't supercharged or is it ex-supercharged there VL's before that need a little guidence in even the simpler areas. Feel free to do up your own tech article on something for those with the higher brain capacity such as yourself. Changing stearing wheel covers or something??
Old 30-09-06, 15:23   #12
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

I have done "Removing harmonic balancer", "Removal of Steering Column" and also "The Ignition barrel guide".. i would do more if i could think of anything..

And its Ex, due to its single turbo now..
Old 09-02-07, 23:04   #13
REDNUT VL
Player

Car: Daily Sti powered rex, VLCT toy car
just a question guys, went down to local atuo shop to get plugs, checked up in the book and all the usual stuff, they gave me a diff part no. and yes they are ngk plugs something like bcpre7-11 i dunno. anyway they were saying ngk only make on heatrange plug. is this true? it gets better. my car is ****ing around, think its cas, would fire but not run. put new plugs in and no fire at all WTF?
Old 10-02-07, 02:34   #14
Antranik
GAMISETTA Peformance

Car: 2004 VY SS Series II
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to Antranik
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNUT VL
just a question guys, went down to local atuo shop to get plugs, checked up in the book and all the usual stuff, they gave me a diff part no. and yes they are ngk plugs something like bcpre7-11 i dunno. anyway they were saying ngk only make on heatrange plug. is this true? it gets better. my car is ****ing around, think its cas, would fire but not run. put new plugs in and no fire at all WTF?
NGK says BCPR6ES-11 for RB30.

Cant seem to find much on BCPRE7-11 at all, sure you typed it correct?

Last edited by Antranik; 10-02-07 at 02:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Antranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 09:07   #15
RB30X
Still a player

Could be why your car isn't running. Also if you had a lead on it's way out or a dizzy cap then changing plugs and moving leads around could have made the problem worse, check inside the dizzy cap for track marks and a broken dizzy button.
Old 11-02-07, 21:06   #16
REDNUT VL
Player

lol yeah may have tyoed wrong, its the same as the other plugs just with 7 instead of six, and its missing an s somewhere, thing is these guys double checked with ngk after i said something bout a heat range. morons... but wouldnt they not thread if they were the wrong ones? car has new leads as well but i must check to see if its interfering with cas plugs. the dizzy looks ok
Old 13-02-07, 15:22   #17
holdonv8
got rice bitch?

Car: 26/30,t51r,motec powered vlct
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to holdonv8
with number 4 plug if you can go over the rocker cover with the ratchet on a 45 degree angle and there is no need to undo the tps sensor

BARRACUTA RACING, 2 IN THE PINK ONE IN THE STINK!!!
holdonv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 19:38   #18
Antho
Certified Wise

Car: 2 x VL Calais Turbo, VL Berlina Turbo, 2 x Ford Explorer V8, Subaru Forester GT, BMW 325i M Sport
Trader Rating: (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNUT VL
lol yeah may have tyoed wrong, its the same as the other plugs just with 7 instead of six, and its missing an s somewhere, thing is these guys double checked with ngk after i said something bout a heat range. morons... but wouldnt they not thread if they were the wrong ones? car has new leads as well but i must check to see if its interfering with cas plugs. the dizzy looks ok
NGK plug BCPR6ES-11 is for the RB30E/RB30ET and is the higher heat rating plug, the standard RB30 plug is the BCP6ES-11.

From memory the BCPRE7-11 suits the R31 skyline amongst others. The also have a different part number for the rotor button and dizzy cap for some strange reason?
Antho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 21:05   #19
REDNUT VL
Player

so thje plugs should be the same in theory yeah? same engine. it has same thread and looked the same as the other plugs, juts gapped bigger, but that may not be a part difference.
Old 14-02-07, 21:43   #20
Boostedcal
SUCH IS LIFE

Car: VL Calaisturbo II 5speed
all the R in the part number means that it a resistor type plug..
as said by RB30X the BCPR6ES-11 is the correct plug for any RB30 engine.. the 11 at the end of the part number means a preset gap of 1.1mm
If you are running a lot of boost then the BCPR7ES-11 , which is the next heat range cooler... not advisable to do just for the hell of it tho
I think you will find the same plug listed for RB20's, RB25's, RB26's(but id be running an iridium which is a BCPR6EIX-11) some SR20's and a few other nissan donks...

Good thread mate, its good to have the basics on here for all to read and learn!
Old 14-02-07, 22:09   #21
REDNUT VL
Player

so in a word if im runnin say 10-12 psi the pugs would be..... unsuitable??
Old 15-02-07, 09:38   #22
Boostedcal
SUCH IS LIFE

Car: VL Calaisturbo II 5speed
nah, just gap em down to 0.8mm
Old 16-02-07, 23:52   #23
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antho
NGK plug BCPR6ES-11 is for the RB30E/RB30ET and is the higher heat rating plug, the standard RB30 plug is the BCP6ES-11.

From memory the BCPRE7-11 suits the R31 skyline amongst others. The also have a different part number for the rotor button and dizzy cap for some strange reason?

VL's dizzy is made by Bosch
and the R31's is made by Mitsuba or Mitsubishi
Old 01-03-07, 21:19   #24
bewsh
VL JUNKIE

Car: G6E Turbo [G6E-747]
Trader Rating: (8)
i started to do mine today, didnt get past the 2nd one....

i tried to pull off the inlet manifold pipe/cross over pipe to get to number 3 and 4 but gave up as it was dinner time!

will try and finish it off tomorrow, by removing the harness plus on the TPS and see how it goes!

CHEERS
Old 16-03-07, 23:33   #25
notlownuf
Player

Car: 86 VL 5L + supra 5 speed + Locker = fun :)
Trader Rating: (0)
hahahahaha i had a set last 60 thousand and then it started missing hahahaha and if u need to read that thread to change spark plugs, you are actually retarded and shouldnt work on your car!!!! hahaha