CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 20-01-08, 17:14   #26
vl_gigalo
Player
 
vl_gigalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15-04-05
Location: SA, Golden grove
Car: PINK calais, Ford Focus & HSV GTS
Trader Rating: (0)
just did mine. couldnt get the bottom section out so just cleaned the top half primed them with oil etc.. When i stated it damn it was loud! I was freakin so took it for a drive sat 3K for a couple of minutes then.... quiet.
sweet.
vl_gigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-08, 18:29   #27
sv6000
Player
 
sv6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-01-08
Location: Sydney, hawkesbury
Car: Red Vl wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVL


Steve you just got chopped
DEAR GOD! is there even a cam in there?!
sv6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-08, 20:46   #28
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Hahaha, that looks like the head I had that had been sitting in the shed for a year after a blown head gasket!

My lifters started making a racket a few months back. Heres what they looked like...

5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 16:32   #29
vl5speed
Player
 
vl5speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-06
Location: VIC, northern suburbs
Car: Got meself a pushy
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to vl5speed
after using this procedure on one lifter and once all assembled should the top part (where the clip is) be able to be pushed in so the spring throws it back up, bcoz all the other ones are solid
.
vl5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 17:05   #30
theVLguy
Gold Members
 
theVLguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21-05-06
Location: Brisbane, southside
Car: VL turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl5speed
after using this procedure on one lifter and once all assembled should the top part (where the clip is) be able to be pushed in so the spring throws it back up, bcoz all the other ones are solid

yes that is normal, seeing you have cleaned the lifter out there is no oil in them, that is why lifters take time to bleed when u put them back in.
theVLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 17:55   #31
vl5speed
Player
 
vl5speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-06
Location: VIC, northern suburbs
Car: Got meself a pushy
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to vl5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by theVLguy
yes that is normal, seeing you have cleaned the lifter out there is no oil in them, that is why lifters take time to bleed when u put them back in.
thanx mate, will be doing all the rest asap.. very helpful write up
vl5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-08, 01:28   #32
golum
Player
 
golum's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21-09-05
Location: VIC, Craigieburn
Car: Vx ss Also Have a Yellow BT1 , Purple Pearl Berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Question

000_0846_2_2_resize.jpg

000_0842_2_resize.jpg

000_0842_3_resize.jpg

Gday i Have Cleaned all my lifters Ect Also Inside the rock cover ect my Question is What is the best way to Clean Around the cam ect is there Sumthing to do this as i dont wanna put the lifters ect back on after spending so many hours on them to get clean ? Also Whats The Go With Diesel Mixed With Oil 50/50 Anyone done this Before ?
golum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-08, 10:25   #33
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Jesus, that is clean. Maybe a stiff toothbrush?
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-08, 12:16   #34
golum
Player
 
golum's Avatar
 
Join Date: 21-09-05
Location: VIC, Craigieburn
Car: Vx ss Also Have a Yellow BT1 , Purple Pearl Berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Used a Die Grinder with Wire Brush at Low Speed Works well !!!
golum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 12:15   #35
Spool
Player
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14-05-08
Location: ACT, Wanniassa
Car: Vl Sl
Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to Spool
hey guys i just did this but did a terrible job of it. well for starters i cleaned the lifter out all fine and when i put them back together the bit were you said fill the ice cream container up with oil i did that about half a centametre from the top of the lifter standing up and i pumped the top of it but no air bubbles came out so i though oh ok lets put it all back together,
so i started putting it back together and i dont have a tourqe wrench i snapped the sixth bolt and started to freak, so i put it all back together went to start it and the ticking noise is even worse! a mate said the tapits need to be adjusted but i am not to sure can someone please help me asap as this is the way my car sits now.

Last edited by Spool; 05-03-09 at 12:17.
Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 18:29   #36
Allanr
Player
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: NSW, SouthCoast
Car: Factory VLCT
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool
hey guys i just did this but did a terrible job of it. well for starters i cleaned the lifter out all fine and when i put them back together the bit were you said fill the ice cream container up with oil i did that about half a centametre from the top of the lifter standing up and i pumped the top of it but no air bubbles came out so i though oh ok lets put it all back together,
so i started putting it back together and i dont have a tourqe wrench i snapped the sixth bolt and started to freak, so i put it all back together went to start it and the ticking noise is even worse! a mate said the tapits need to be adjusted but i am not to sure can someone please help me asap as this is the way my car sits now.
Can't adjust tappits they are hydraulic, thats why you clean the oil galleries etc. Did you take it for a drive, or just let it idle over?
Allanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 14:48   #37
Spool
Player
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14-05-08
Location: ACT, Wanniassa
Car: Vl Sl
Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to Spool
took it for a drive it was stalling and feeling like it was going to stall on me i did that for like 5 mins and the sound was still there
Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-09, 19:52   #38
pht35e
Player
 
pht35e's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-02-07
Location: Sydney, central coast
Car: genuine manual calais turbo bagged stato and siggy
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to pht35e
devo mate new head lol 50 bucks
__________________
dont be a tool ENGINEER IT you fool!
pht35e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-09, 20:11   #39
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Devo mate, 5 months ago.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-09, 20:17   #40
pht35e
Player
 
pht35e's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-02-07
Location: Sydney, central coast
Car: genuine manual calais turbo bagged stato and siggy
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to pht35e
ha shot

how long does a thread stay open before you close it?
__________________
dont be a tool ENGINEER IT you fool!

Last edited by pht35e; 25-08-09 at 20:19. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
pht35e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 13:15   #41
jase_vlct
Player
 
jase_vlct's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31-01-10
Location: VIC, colac vic
Car: vlct (4sale), vp hsv sports wagon #17
Trader Rating: (0)
hi guys i just got my vlct and i think its got a sticky lifter coz when i rev it up a little the sound gose away dose that sound right???
jase_vlct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 20:25   #42
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members
 
Join Date: 11-07-06
Location: WA, SOR
Car: Vlc wagon, 08 Husqvarna TE510, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Send a message via MSN to VLWAGONIT
my daily had the maddest lifter noise. i pulled the rocker cover off and it looks like they have bin done recently. never the less i am have cleaned the front 6 lifters and they didnt have any marks on them and hardly any gunk.

and i have only lost one clip sofar - anyone got a spare lol?
__________________
I just want enough power to rip single leggers on wet grass
VLWAGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:11   #43
aaron09_
Official Member
 
aaron09_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 19-09-09
Location: Melbourne, NE
Car: '88 SL LE
Trader Rating: (4)
lifter lube bro. repco. its a hektic 15 bucks.

cleaning them might be a little better though....
aaron09_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 16:41   #44
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members
 
Join Date: 11-07-06
Location: WA, SOR
Car: Vlc wagon, 08 Husqvarna TE510, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Send a message via MSN to VLWAGONIT
put it all back together and it still made mad noise so i put another set of lifters in out of another motor, was fine for about 10km then it started again so i think its not getting enough oil up the top so im thinking i need a new oil pump or i have a blocked oil gallery
__________________
I just want enough power to rip single leggers on wet grass
VLWAGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-10, 14:28   #45
clutch
Player
 
clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-03-10
Location: VIC, Berwick
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to clutch
just curious, would this work also?

buy cheap cheap oil, dump the old oil and bin it, put the cheap cheap oil in and run the car for a few mins to get the oil everywhere, then dump the cheap cheap oil and replace with your proper oil?

i thought this might work as the engine now has clean oil all round? and not the old dirty oil that stays in the crevices when u only dump old oil and put ur good stuff in.

if this doesnt work after one flush, buy the cheapest oil u can get, i found some 13 doller oil, and flushed with that, you could buy 2 bottles, and flush the car twice, maybe run it a bit longer between changes, maybe for 10 mins giveing the car a squirt so u know its clean the whole engine, then dump it.

the only reason i can see this not working is if the dirt in the lifters doesnt come out? or its blocked in them somehow?

what you guys think?

if this works, this would be easier than cleaning the lifters, but yea like i said, not sure this would work as good as cleaning the lifters themselves!

Ta
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-10, 14:45   #46
SilverCal
342kw @ 20psi bp98
 
SilverCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-11-05
Location: NSW, Wollongong
Car: s2 vlct & ba xr6t
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to SilverCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
just curious, would this work also?

buy cheap cheap oil, dump the old oil and bin it, put the cheap cheap oil in and run the car for a few mins to get the oil everywhere, then dump the cheap cheap oil and replace with your proper oil?

i thought this might work as the engine now has clean oil all round? and not the old dirty oil that stays in the crevices when u only dump old oil and put ur good stuff in.

if this doesnt work after one flush, buy the cheapest oil u can get, i found some 13 doller oil, and flushed with that, you could buy 2 bottles, and flush the car twice, maybe run it a bit longer between changes, maybe for 10 mins giveing the car a squirt so u know its clean the whole engine, then dump it.

the only reason i can see this not working is if the dirt in the lifters doesnt come out? or its blocked in them somehow?

what you guys think?

if this works, this would be easier than cleaning the lifters, but yea like i said, not sure this would work as good as cleaning the lifters themselves!

Ta
Imo that wouldn't work man, you'd be surprized at how much build up of **** is in them that wont flush out with just oil. besides the're not that hard to pull apart and clean just follow the steps in this thread
SilverCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-10, 14:47   #47
clutch
Player
 
clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-03-10
Location: VIC, Berwick
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverCal View Post
Imo that wouldn't work man, you'd be surprized at how much build up of **** is in them that wont flush out with just oil. besides the're not that hard to pull apart and clean just follow the steps in this thread
worth a shot lol

cheers

PS how do u clean the rockers etc? u cant degreas them can you?

Last edited by clutch; 19-03-10 at 14:51.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-10, 02:14   #48
Oliver
DB Tech Polarized
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-01-05
Location: WA, Perth
Trader Rating: (44)
Your oil idea wouldnt work as when you pull the lifters apart there is heaps of crap inside them also.

Flushing with oil also wont fix any chipped lifters. Do it properly and it will give you lots of quiet motoring
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsick View Post
Awww thanks Oliver

I'm bringing a car full of girls for you as a thank you haha
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-10, 07:20   #49
first?vl
BANNED
 
first?vl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15-10-09
Location: NSW, on the farm
Car: VL SUNDAY SPECIAL
Trader Rating: (0)
if the lifters are good,could u use .....just an engine oil flush fluid to loosen up the build up?i dont have sticky lifter but would be nice to know its clean in there.wat u guys think?
first?vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-10, 15:30   #50
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members
 
Join Date: 11-07-06
Location: WA, SOR
Car: Vlc wagon, 08 Husqvarna TE510, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Send a message via MSN to VLWAGONIT
it would work but like oliver said, if you acctualy pull them appart there is all black **** inside that you need to scrape out
__________________
I just want enough power to rip single leggers on wet grass
VLWAGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger