JD CUSTOM

Old 13-01-08, 23:26   #101
MARMO.
Player

Car: White manual VLT, White auto 750il BMW
Trader Rating: (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
Thats the plan. Figured I'd skip the MX7 to save problems (like this ) later on.

Better start researching what goes with what....

i got a spear mf5, that the cluter bearings have gone in if u want it(use the out put shaft of it)

im in frankston, and dont want anyhting for it
Old 14-01-08, 09:20   #102
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Done mate, sent you a PM.

And here is the main shaft from the gearbox I picked up from MARMO today.

Lots of fun pulling it apart.....thanks Aj for the help!

Last edited by 5spdvl; 18-01-08 at 18:55.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-08, 21:58   #103
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Here is a more detailed look at the damage now that I've pulled it apart.

Not for the faint hearted...

It turns out that there is a difference between the gearbox I picked up to salvage the mainshaft from, and the box I have been using/broke. Doing some reading in Gregorys, and it turns out I've been using a New Zealand 2.0L five speed gearbox. Basically, these boxs lack a fifth/reverse detent bracket (bolted to the carrier plate), whereas the 3.0L Australian MF5 has it. I've got no idea how I came to have one, but thats what I've got! It came in a conversion kit off eBay from a dude wrecking an Executive in Greensborough...weird. Lets hope that the mainshafts aren't different...

No wonder the damn thing broke!

Last edited by 5spdvl; 20-01-08 at 22:03.
Old 21-01-08, 17:45   #104
dannyk
Player

Car: vl calais
Trader Rating: (0)
A few things different from the original tech artical..

The metal gasket needs to go on before the flywheel and cluch (wont fit after).
And the bracket on the bottom of the motor to the bell housing (drivers side) is different on the manual to auto.
The difference is with the auto, the bolt goes from the front to back (thread tapped into bell housing), manual, the bolt goes from the back to front (thread tapped into bracket). Very strange why they did that only on one side???

Make sure you have the bolts that came with the manual... 4 of the bellhousing bolts (around the top) are 20mm longer.

I just did the conversion the other day. The biggest problem I had was some wally in the factory cross threaded one of the flex plate bolts and forced it almost all the way up. (It still had a couple of mm to go)! trying to get it out, I eventually snapped the head off. Had to do a hallycoil to fix the thread.

Does anyone know of an easy way to get those damn tail shaft bolts off the diff?
You cant get any tool other than open ended spanners on.. (couldn't even use rattle gun).

btw: The gregorys manual shows you how to dismantle and swap the brake and clutch pedals without having to remove the pedal box, (or steering column). A little bit fiddley but probably easier than changing the whole assembly.

Last edited by dannyk; 28-01-08 at 14:21.
dannyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-08, 18:39   #105
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Yeah, the tailshaft bolts are a prick to undo (without rounding them).

I've found the best way to do it is jack the car up from the back, and support it with two jackstands under the actual diff (diff housing, as close the wheels as possible). That way the diff doesn't drop down, and keeps the uni joint at the pinion flange nice and straight (maximum access to the bolts/nuts).
Old 07-02-08, 22:53   #106
PhatVL
Player

Car: Stock VLCT Auto 3" Inch Exhaust
Trader Rating: (5)
Can anyone help us out with some info from goin manual to auto ??

I bought a N/A Calais with a rb20 5spd box right.. now i would like to do a motor and box transplant with my turbo motor and turbo auto ..

Now would it be easier to salvage the old turbo auto wiring loom or can i just use the existing wiring looms in the current calais and modify them to suit the auto gearbox ??????
PhatVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:00   #107
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Salvage the old wiring loom. All the plugs are right there waiting for the auto.

Manual will just be a stuff around.
Old 09-02-08, 08:10   #108
PhatVL
Player

Car: Stock VLCT Auto 3" Inch Exhaust
Trader Rating: (5)
cheers buddy..
the auto wiring loom goes thru the dash aswell !!

thinkin maybe i should just get an auto leccy to custom wire it up
any ideas on a price to get that done
PhatVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-08, 09:05   #109
terryo
Player

Car:
can someone advise what mount or mounting plate is needed for the turbo manual box???. I have got a turbo gearbox and cross-member from a non-turbo 5 speed. There msut be some sort of rubber mount ---is this the same as non turbo 5 speed??). Also, is ther a some sort of plate that joins it to the gearbox and is it the same as non turbo box??? any help appreciated. thanks
terryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-08, 09:42   #110
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

"I have got a turbo gearbox and cross-member from a non-turbo 5 speed."

Are you sure its a turbo box? Do you mean crossmember, instead of "mounting plate"? There is a rubber mount that bolts onto the crossmember, they're the same between auto and manual, although the crossmembers are different. You can use the same crossmember between MF5 and MX7 anyway.

And the second plate you mention, are you referring to the sandwich plate? Goes between the gearbox and motor? They're different between MF5 and MX7, due to the starter motor on the MX7 box being different. What flywheel are you using? 9.5" or 10"? What starter are you using?
Old 19-02-08, 22:52   #111
terryo
Player

Car:
yes, I know exactly what I've got. a RB25DET turbo engine, box, starter, clutch, flywheel etc.

thanks, you have partially answered my questions by telling me the rubber mount that bolts to the gearbox, is the same on turbo & non-turbo manual boxes, and so are the cross-members (the bar that goes across the tunnel and bolts to the floor).

what I still dont know is if the plate that fits between the cross member and the gearbox rubber mount, is the same on turbo as non-turbo. even my local Holden dealer cant tell me this.

none of this obviously has anything to do with the sandwitch plate at the back of the engine block, but thanks for asking
terryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 20:57   #112
Stoner_vl
Player

Car: vl exec
started my conversion this weekend, from what i've read i need a manual sprigot/bush, do most auto shops sell them? and will they understand what i'm asking for?
Stoner_vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-08, 21:18   #113
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryo
yes, I know exactly what I've got. a RB25DET turbo engine, box, starter, clutch, flywheel etc.

thanks, you have partially answered my questions by telling me the rubber mount that bolts to the gearbox, is the same on turbo & non-turbo manual boxes, and so are the cross-members (the bar that goes across the tunnel and bolts to the floor).

what I still dont know is if the plate that fits between the cross member and the gearbox rubber mount, is the same on turbo as non-turbo. even my local Holden dealer cant tell me this.

none of this obviously has anything to do with the sandwitch plate at the back of the engine block, but thanks for asking
Sorry mate, just trying to get on the same wavelength!

Are you referring to the little steel bracket, between the crossmember and gearbox, that holds the rubber mount? They're definately all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner_vl
started my conversion this weekend, from what i've read i need a manual sprigot/bush, do most auto shops sell them? and will they understand what i'm asking for?
Call Bursons, ask for a "VL Commodore manual spigot (bearing)". If they need more information, tell them its the bearing that fits into the back of the crank that steadies the input shaft. They're worth around $5.25.
Old 24-02-08, 21:21   #114
pmac
Ninja Sh!t

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via MSN to pmac
they will know what your on about lol unless u get a trainee or something.
Old 24-02-08, 21:24   #115
Stoner_vl
Player

ok no worries thanks guys
Old 04-03-08, 11:19   #116
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Not according to anything I've ever seen. But, of course, Gregorys and Max Ellerys wiring diagrams are made to suit auto and manual, so they make little additions/subtractions here and there to suit.

The manual cruise circuit *appears* to either have replaced the brake switch with the clutch switch, or added the clutch switch in.

The manuals make no mention of there being a difference with the module itself. No one thinks the 3EM ECU would change things around do they?

Oh, by the way - I can unplug the TPS, accelerator pedal position sensor, and AT2 computer without it making a difference to the car whatsoever.
F*CKING FINALLY!! Problem solved!

After many nights looking over the wiring diagrams, and even a trip to an incompetant auto electrician, I've fixed my cruise control!

Something I hadn't noticed until Sunday night was that the cruise control actually has an ECU. Its a small black box, probably around the size of two cigarette cases together, and its clipped standing up sideways to the right hand underside of the lower dash panel. Has a plug of seven wires going into it. Think it has a big "AC" on the side, from memory. I realised this when comparing the colours of the wiring between the switch and module, and seeing they weren't listed in the manual at all.

Anyway, one of the wires between my switch and module were cut - I would have assumed an auto elec would have picked up on that.
And I'd removed that ECU ages ago, simply because I didn't know wtf it was for. I swapped the cruise control module for another, reinstalled the CC ECU, went for a quick spin - tah dah!

Long story short - I must have not plugged the ECU back in when I converted to manual. It should have worked from the word go.

One thing to note for those converting with CC setups - stepping on the clutch during cruise makes the car rev off it tits. I'll be looking into splicing in a cruise cancellation switch above the clutch pedal, or simply putting the vacuum release there.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited by 5spdvl; 04-03-08 at 11:22.
Old 06-03-08, 19:17   #117
Stoner_vl
Player

just wondering will a vl go through more fuel when its manual?? i get about 550-600kms to a tank now.
Old 08-03-08, 13:31   #118
OldGold

Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
nah it's more economical if anything

...depending on how you drive!
OldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 10:58   #119
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold
nah it's more economical if anything

...depending on how you drive!
True. Auto uses more fuel.
Old 12-03-08, 15:09   #120
NZ-RB30ED
Player

Car: 1987 vl commodore
What xcatly do i need?

Hay man
awesome thread!!!
I'd just like to no xcatly wat parts im gona need to do this?
ive found a conversion kit but i just want to make sure everything is in there

Cheers
Mark
NZ-RB30ED
NZ-RB30ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 15:30   #121
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I assume you're refering to me, because I practically own this thread now.

You need:
-gearbox (with crossmember)
-manual tailshaft
-shifter (with knob)
-manual surround (trim in cabin)
-clutch fork (with bearing)
-manual spigot (get new from Repco etc)
-manual sandwich plate
-starter motor (N/A auto, manual & turbo manual are all the same)
-flywheel
-clutch (pressure plate, friction plate)
-master cylinder/slave cylinder
-clutch pedal (pedal boxes are the same, simply add the clutch pedal in & swap brake pedals)
-brake pedal
-manual ECU

Have you got an eBay link or something for me to check for you?
Old 12-03-08, 18:55   #122
NZ-RB30ED
Player

Car: 1987 vl commodore
Quote:
I assume you're refering to me, because I practically own this thread now.

You need:
-gearbox (with crossmember)
-manual tailshaft
-shifter (with knob)
-manual surround (trim in cabin)
-clutch fork (with bearing)
-manual spigot (get new from Repco etc)
-manual sandwich plate
-starter motor (N/A auto, manual & turbo manual are all the same)
-flywheel
-clutch (pressure plate, friction plate)
-master cylinder/slave cylinder
-clutch pedal (pedal boxes are the same, simply add the clutch pedal in & swap brake pedals)
-brake pedal
-manual ECU

Have you got an eBay link or something for me to check for you?
ah im in NZ so this is our ebay lol
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=145274800
NZ-RB30ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 18:57   #123
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Yes mate, that has everything.

If you noticed, it also includes free fitting. Its a bit hard to sell you and fit a kit that doesn't work when parts are missing...

They go for around $500, so you're being charged $500 in labour. I've been quote $1100-$1250 supplied and fitted, so thats not too bad.
Old 13-03-08, 12:13   #124
Stooge
Pazzo

Car: VL 5 spd :)
Trader Rating: (12)
You can use your existing crossmember as they are the same, starter motors are the same except for turbo manual(MX7) and you can use your auto ecu in a manual but not a manual ecu in an auto.
Originally Posted by Cletus
and i hate it when their pussy taste bad....lol

Last edited by Stooge; 13-03-08 at 12:35.
Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-08, 13:29   #125
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge
You can use your existing crossmember as they are the same, starter motors are the same except for turbo manual(MX7) and you can use your auto ecu in a manual but not a manual ecu in an auto.
The crossmembers aren't the same. The auto is taller on (I think) the driver's side. If you are certain Stooge, I'll check my car and spare auto this weekend. Not trying to shoot you down, but I think they're the same.

However, the starter motor and ECU points are correct.