CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork
GRUNT Performance

Old 11-01-03, 10:19   #1
87VLSL
Player

Car: 5/87 VL Calais Turbo Replica, 11/87 VL Exec, 2/04 VY SS Ute
Trader Rating: (2)
Temp gauge & sensor

My temperature gauge does not seem to be giving an accurate reading. After about 20mins - 1/2 hr of driving it comes up to 1 - 2 mark's before the red H mark. But the engine does not seem to be overheating. Im thinking the gauge sensor may be the problem. Is there any way you can test if its working properly. Or has anyone else had this problem.
87VLSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-03, 18:10   #2
madleb
Player

Car: VP Calais HSV Enhanced gone.......now got a TX3 4wd turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
i have the same problem, it doesnt seem to over heat the water levels are always ok
Old 11-01-03, 20:11   #3
87VLSL
Player

Yeah. My coolant levels are all ok. Radiator is full when you take the cap off, and the coolant level in the reserve tank is always at the maximum. :? Yet the temp gauge still shows a high reading. :?: :|
Old 11-01-03, 20:23   #4
Muzza
Player

Car:
Mine would sometimes get that hot on hot days, but since putting a cold air intake in it now runs a bit below half. Don't know if that will help youse though.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-03, 21:38   #5
madleb
Player

Car: VP Calais HSV Enhanced gone.......now got a TX3 4wd turbo
i have cold air intake as well, but it is still high, will be getting it checked within a week. keep u posted 8)
madleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-03, 22:59   #6
Lord-Data
Player

Car: Series II Kimberly Bronze VL Executive
Send a message via ICQ to Lord-Data Send a message via MSN to Lord-Data
Anyone know what a GOOD condition, perfectly tuned VL temp gauge should read? Mine sits right on the center line most of the time, higher on hot days, and half way to the next bar above half when on LPG. I've been told however, that on LPG the temp gauge should read lower? I'm not sure .. nothing seems to be overly wrong with the car, sure never over heats (has hit 1 bar below the top on a 40c day with the aircon on, and was still running fine .. killed aircon and it dropped down another bar) .. Just curious where everyones normally sits?

[ http://www.vidguide.com ] - [ Free Downloads, Interactive Tech Support and More for your Digital Video Needs! ]
Lord-Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 00:58   #7
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Car: Holden VL Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (4)
Temperatre Guage

Mine sits on half way when its at operating temperature, and just a bit over if I'm driving it hard or if its a hot day... :roll:
Old 12-01-03, 13:52   #8
Morgz85
Player

Car: '87 VL (Project Car)
Send a message via ICQ to Morgz85 Send a message via MSN to Morgz85
mine never gets to half, always stays around 2nd-3rd mark, even hot days + thrashing....
Old 12-01-03, 14:06   #9
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Temperature Sensor

So that could mean that my Coolant Temp Sensor is faulty? I thought it either worked or it didn't... :? Does this affect anything else apart from the Guage? Or the actual running of the car as well? How do you go about replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor also? :roll:
Old 12-01-03, 20:23   #10
87VLSL
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
So that could mean that my Coolant Temp Sensor is faulty? Does this affect anything else apart from the Guage?
The Coolant temp sensor works with the control unit (has nothing to do with the temp gauge). The Temperature gauge sensor controls the gauge. The gauge sensor is the smaller of the two with a black slide on connector. located in front of the coolant temp sensor.
Old 12-01-03, 20:34   #11
87VLSL
Player

Went for another cruise today. It was cool and overcast and the gauge still went up to 2 marks before the red mark, I wasn't driving hard and it only took 20 mins. 8O. What could be the problem guys?
Old 12-01-03, 20:35   #12
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Coolant Temp Sensor

So what about the Coolant Temperature Sensor? How could that affect the Engine, is it worth Replacing? :roll: And the Guage Sensor, if its reading Half Way all the time could it be faulty? Or would the sensor not work at all if its faulty?
Old 12-01-03, 21:02   #13
87VLSL
Player

The coolant temp sensor works with other sensors controlling the fuel injection system so the only thing it would effect would be the EFI system. If the EFI system is functioning correctly, there is no need to replace it. 8) As for the temp gauge sensor I have the same problem and im trying to work out weather mine needs replacment or not?
Old 12-01-03, 21:11   #14
Kylie
Italian Stallion

EFI

Well, my car is running pretty badly at the moment, sometimes it feels like its going to stall, and sometimes has in the past, its as thought it isn't getting any fuel into the engine, this only happens at Low Revs though, around Idle, nothing higher up... :?
Old 16-01-03, 20:41   #15
87VLSL
Player

Bump! Can anyone offer any suggestion. as I said in an earlier post even when driving in cooler conditions the gauge still goes up to beetween 2 to 1 marks before the red mark, If anyone else has had this problem how did you fix it ? Do you need to replace the sensor? How much does a new sensor cost.
Old 16-01-03, 21:25   #16
Brett
Player

Car: VT V8 Calais & VR V8 Ute
Trader Rating: (1)
Flush the block and radiator (one or both could be full of sh|t), refill with coolant and bleed the system. Check and see if its losing water. Check the operation of the clutch fan, theres a thread about it somewhere. And if its getting hot with the Air-Con check to see if the thermo fan infront of the radiator is working. You could also try rigging a switch up to the thermo fan to turn it on when ever you want to, like when it gets hot try manually turning the thermo fan on and see if that helps at all.
Could maybe do one of those CO tests on the coolant to see if the head gaskets blown.
Dont know if any of this will help you out but its acouple of things to think about.
This *****ed out hot weather is mucking around with afew people i know cars cooling system. Before you replace the sensor first swap yours over with a mates and see if it still does the same. Saves paying for crap when you need to.
Check the timing and thermostat also.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-03, 20:48   #17
87VLSL
Player

I Just flushed the block and radiatior about 4 months ago and bled it correctly using the bleeder bolts. The water level stays at the max in the reserve tank and radiator is full. And the Air - con thermo fan works. Ill Check if the clutch fan is operating correctly. The timing may be effecting it as I also changed the Timing Belt recently. Could the timing be out? Although the engine runs very well. Ill put the timing light on it anyway.
Old 18-01-03, 20:06   #18
87VLSL
Player

I Checked the fan clutch today and I dont think its working properly. I started the VL up when it was cold and the fan clutch engaged and the fan turned at normal speed. After 1.5 - 2 mins the clutch disengaged and the fan was turning slowly. after that I went for a drive until temp gauge went over half, Checked the fan again and it appeared to be working :?. Im thinking now that the clutch may not be engaging early enough and engages too late. At what temperature going by the temp gauge should it engage :?: And how exactly do one of these fan clutches work. Anyone else had trouble with them.
Old 19-01-03, 20:54   #19
87VLSL
Player

Anyone How do you know if the fan clutch is working properly? I spun it around by hand and it doesnt seem to have much resistance. How can you tell if its no good.
Old 20-01-03, 23:47   #20
natho
Gold Members

Car: '02 Subaru Liberty
Trader Rating: (21)
if the guage is up to half the clutch fan will definately be at least partly engaged.

my n/a used to get to 3/4+ on the guage on hot days with aircon. new clutch fan and on days like today (39) it barely ever goes over half.
natho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-03, 00:16   #21
Lord-Data
Player

Whats the cost like on a new clutch fan? Is it a job you can do yourself? or a mechanic type of work?

[ http://www.vidguide.com ] - [ Free Downloads, Interactive Tech Support and More for your Digital Video Needs! ]
Old 21-01-03, 08:24   #22
natho
Gold Members

Car: '02 Subaru Liberty
its pretty easy to do yourself and they cost about $200 new.
natho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-03, 15:50   #23
jasoncngo
Player

Car: no car
Send a message via Yahoo to jasoncngo
compare it to mine heehehe

Hi everyone,

I own a VL Turbo!! :mrgreen: , mine temp readinging never reaches the 2 bar, never been half way on the dash.

I have a big front mount cooler too. On really hot days it almost reaches the second bar and thats it.

Advice: Flush out your coolant, put new coolant in. Then check your temp sensor (The yellow one with the black wire on it ). Wriggle it a bit. If ya temp goes close to red you will probably need to replace this sensor, they are around $30-$40 depending on where you get them.

Burson is the best as they have good prices and their stuff is pretty close to genuine stuff.
Old 21-01-03, 20:21   #24
Lord-Data
Player

Where does one find this Burson?

Old 21-01-03, 20:29   #25
87VLSL
Player

Ive just ordered a new fan clutch from Autopro for $130.00. I should recieve it by Thursday, and install it on the weekend. Hope this sloves my overheating problem. Ill keep you guys posted.