CalaisTurbo New Tags END Ignore Digital Niche Code -->
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 29-11-04, 23:15   #1
cal-a-kid
Player

Car: LX Torana hatch ---> with an rb30et
Trader Rating: (8)
My project LX Torana Hatch with an RB30ET

Well it's been awhile in the works but my project torana is starting to finally take some shape. I've had the car now for almost two years. It started as a 253 with an auzzie four speed, and stayed this way for about a year, but it was toooo slow and kept breaking so I took it off the road. Got it painted in ford blueprint, put a droptank in, re-trimed the interior, added a stereo and im now at the stage of putting a decent motor in.

The decision wasn't hard when i found an already dismantled rb30et with a set of hypatec - ceramic coated pistons, crow cam and rebuild kit for next to nothing and the rebuild started. I got the heads ported and some crow valve springs to match. As the pistons are thirty thou over i got the block match bored and decked to bump the compression up slightly.

I have just accquired an air reasearch t04b and custom exhaust manifold which i believe has been based on a nizpro design and looks great however im still trying to figure out if it will fit in the bay ... should be sorted out soon though. So what do yous think of the project so far?

The reason for this post is that im at the stage of sorting out a gearbox and was wondering how good an n/a jatco auto (rebuilt, with a stall and shiftkit) would go behind this kind of an engine if it was putting out about 250-300hp. The reason for asking this is that i've got access to a free n/a jatco auto which would help with the project as im on a uni budget.

I'm also interested in plenums. I have heard that jdcustom plenums are good but not 100% sure... What do yous reckonmend?

Paul (MR30L) is going to post some pics of the progress that is being in made on the car and a few other random pics .... THANKS PAUL!!!

Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabat
The Torana would have won - Jason.
cal-a-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-04, 23:25   #2
cal-a-kid
Player

Forgot to mention that it also has a nine inch rear end with a 3.9 ratio which will be welded up before it hits the street, and also that in the pics it's still got the standard turbo manifold and turbo.

cheers, Dean
Quote:
Old 29-11-04, 23:27   #3
MR 30L
Official Member

Car: VL Calais Turbo And A 5.7 Litre Statesman
Trader Rating: (2)

MR 30L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-04, 23:30   #4
MR 30L
Official Member

very nice project, dam wish i could do the same but LJ torana
Old 30-11-04, 00:07   #5
GMH-GEM
makaveli

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
not bad, not bad at all!!!
GMH-GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 04:54   #6
OldGold

Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
fark dude what haven't you painted blue?!

Looks mad, great idea, would turn some heads hearing an LX spooling up I bet. Maybe you should put some white in the engine bay to contrast with the blue, like your wheels do?

Love it.
OldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 07:03   #7
VLT_RB30
Player

Car: 96 White VS, 18's, Lowered. 95 Black VS, V6 M90 Supercharger, SS body kit, Statesman Interior, 18's, Custom lowered suspension, Full Alpine stereo.
Send a message via ICQ to VLT_RB30 Send a message via MSN to VLT_RB30
Man, very nice. With the n/a jatco auto, do a search, there will be heaps of info on em.

I'm going from a RB30ET to a 253 with 304 internals in my VL. Just wondering what ya did with your Aussie 4SPD? Most importantly have you still got it and do you want to sell it? Thats if its in good condition.
Old 30-11-04, 09:34   #8
Sinister
Player

Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLT_RB30
Man, very nice. With the n/a jatco auto, do a search, there will be heaps of info on em.

I'm going from a RB30ET to a 253 with 304 internals in my VL. Just wondering what ya did with your Aussie 4SPD? Most importantly have you still got it and do you want to sell it? Thats if its in good condition.
huhhhh??? what u mean a 3253 with 308 internals?? they had a completely different sized bore.

The torana looks AWESOME but i think ur selling yourself short with the build up... dunno much about hypertecs but i doubt they're anything tough, u need forgies coz i guarantee the power bug will bite u and when u want to upgrade them pistons will be your weakest link. U could be the next cgmfly
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 12:18   #9
cal-a-kid
Player

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Oldgold: the white wheels aren't going to be used when it's finished i've got a nice set of hotwires that have shined up really well and i eventually wanna put a set of 19 inch vx gts mags on it, but that's along way off. I'm going to do speedflow fittings in the engine bay with braided lines, so hopefully that will contrast well enough.

VLT_RB30: Funny you should mention the 4 speed ... As i've got two, both are in good condition one is even painted the same colour as my car... also got a heavy duty rpm clutch which has never been used. I wanna get rid of them so if you pay for frieght i'll sell em both to you for $400 and thrown in the clutch.

Sinister: the only reason i put the pistons in was because they were there. They are simply turbo pistons with a ceramic coating on the top, which i think is meant to distrbute heat more evenly over the top of the piston, helping to prevent burning holes in them. I've already got another block sitting at home which I plan on doing a forged bottom end for, got another two years of uni left though ... So i might leave it til after that.

Has anyone got some information on plenums, and whats good and whats not?

Thanks again guys, and I hope to post some pictures on the turbo and manifold asap.

Dean
Quote:
Old 30-11-04, 12:26   #10
LTHLRB
Player

Car: 93 R33 GTS-T
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to LTHLRB
Nice work Dean should lookd and go sweet when its done. Good on ya!! and good luck!!
Old 30-11-04, 13:03   #11
blue_vl_t
Player

Car: was vlt, to be lx hatch
torana hatch

god, cant believe it, I have a ford bluprint Torana hatch as well, and it too has a rb30det in it as well, and is up to about the same stage as yours. I have some pics if you want to see, dont know how to post them up though. mine runs a 2 speed powerglide, forged pistons ported head, homebuilt custom manifold and 600 hp garett roller bearing, am yet to make a plenum, I love your ride, would be good to c pics of yours as you progress.
blue_vl_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 13:04   #12
VLT_RB30
Player

Car: 96 White VS, 18's, Lowered. 95 Black VS, V6 M90 Supercharger, SS body kit, Statesman Interior, 18's, Custom lowered suspension, Full Alpine stereo.
Send a message via ICQ to VLT_RB30 Send a message via MSN to VLT_RB30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister
huhhhh??? what u mean a 3253 with 308 internals?? they had a completely different sized bore.
3253???
WTF? The 308 and 253 are both the same blocks. I have a 253 that will have a 304 (3.025 stroke) crank, 304 rods and 304 + 60 pistons fitted. Of course the block will be machined to make em fit. I was just going to 308 +40. But the 304 came out with a better crank.

Man if I had the cash I would buy both, but xmas, rebuild ect. How about just 1 complete? No probs with frieght, Northline freight should be close to you?

Last edited by VLT_RB30; 30-11-04 at 13:14.
VLT_RB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 14:04   #13
Sinister
Player

Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLT_RB30
3253???
WTF? The 308 and 253 are both the same blocks. I have a 253 that will have a 304 (3.025 stroke) crank, 304 rods and 304 + 60 pistons fitted. Of course the block will be machined to make em fit. I was just going to 308 +40. But the 304 came out with a better crank.

Man if I had the cash I would buy both, but xmas, rebuild ect. How about just 1 complete? No probs with frieght, Northline freight should be close to you?
obviously 3253 was a typo
and ummm... the blocks are as identical as camiras and vl executives (close, but not exactly same)
253 blocks have almost a centermetre smaller bore, which in motor measurements is a hell of a lot. So you'd have to bore out your 253 a ****load to get the 304 pistons in... and then why would u bother ?? u still have a dirty old 80s or even 70s block that needs prob has a bellhousing for a weak trimatic or something. Go with a 304 block mate...
rb30 boys and v8s dont go together
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 14:36   #14
GMH-GEM
makaveli

Car:
VLT_RB30, why dont you just buy a 308?
seems to be a lot less ****ing around......
GMH-GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 17:00   #15
MurderCity
Player

Car: 1986 Turbo Executive, LC 2 door Torana RB30ET
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to MurderCity Send a message via Yahoo to MurderCity
Sinister is correct. The Blocks are different.
MurderCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 17:17   #16
extroana
Player

Car: blue vlct and soon to be vlt wagon
Send a message via MSN to extroana
man i love it. its exactley what i was gunna do to my slr. but i sold it.

long live the mighty torana
extroana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-04, 17:24   #17
duz360
VOTE 1 HORSELL COMMON

Car: muppet mobile
Trader Rating: (79)
Send a message via MSN to duz360
haha your user name always made me think ex torana!
now i know i was right!
Old 30-11-04, 19:41   #18
cal-a-kid
Player

So guys what do you think about the n/a auto behind my engine ... How long will it last? what do i need to do to make it stronger? Has anyone got an n/a auto behind an rb30et?

Someone must have some information on plenums!!! anything at all!!! Does anyone have a secondhand jdcustom plenum for sale? I've read up on them abit and they sound like they are pretty good. What are other peoples opinions?

VLT_RB30: You can have one box for 250 with the clutch and shifter, also will you need a bellhousing? ... you organise freight and i'll drop it off, how does that sound ... let me know???

Blue_vl_t: Send your pics to mr_sly@iprimus.com.au and he'll post em up for you (thanks paul) ... Can't wait to see what it looks like !!!

Dean
Quote:
Old 30-11-04, 22:54   #19
MR 30L
Official Member

here are the pics Dean. you guys are geerin me up to buy a LJ 2 door hehehehe, Dean dont u think that turbo is small hehehehehehe (personal jk)

Old 30-11-04, 23:15   #20
blue_vl_t
Player

cheers MR 30L, id love to know how to post pics etc, The torana has a 9" diff 4.11 gears and spool, two speed powerglide, balanced bottom end, shotpeened rods, wiseco forgies, 8.0:1 compression ratio, ported head, 036 injectors, Haltec e6x, custom homebuilt manifold (not finished yet) garett gt30 600hp roller bearing, 600x300x100 bar and plate cooler, vl turbo brakes and booster. obviosly its not finished yet, want a large external wastegate if anyone has one. cheers
Old 30-11-04, 23:18   #21
MR 30L
Official Member

no worries mate. u guys need to get these cars running so i can see how they go. other then that how much u wanna spend on a wastegate. i got my 48mm one cheap
Old 30-11-04, 23:48   #22
cal-a-kid
Player

Blue_vl_t im seeing it already ... front cover of street machine two ford blue lx torana hatches with 10 second rb30's in em ... just like hvatos and ono30t in street commodores mag. Your engine is way more hardcore than mine, my engine is just a fuse-engine whereas your engine has all the good bits!!! Can't wait to get a serious bottom end in mine, although with abit of luck and good care i should be able to put 18-20 pound into it as is for a few passes. That turbo doesn't look that small to me paul!!! Nice manifold aswell!!! Mine looks something like that cept it's a downmount. The hothouse green hq or whatever it is looks pretty sweet aswell ... What a driveway!!!

Few questions blue_vl_t: Is there room for the intercooler where you've got it aswell as the radiator and thermos before hitting the engine??? I was thinking about taking out the grill and cutting the front bumper to make room for the intercooler however if it fits in there i might do that, saves cutting everything up and re-painting it.

Have you wired the Haltec in? obviously in the pics the wiring isn't run but just incase it has been done already ... do you know how much of a mission it is to create a single loom?

How are you adapting the two speed glide to the rb30 (crs kit)? What is the advantage of using a glide over a jatco or trimatic?

Did you make your own sump or oder it through crs? If so could i get a picture of the oil pick up? This is because i've already reversed the sump just need to work out how to make the pick up.

Where are you going to run your exhaust? Through the wheel arch? Is that easy to do? and is it legal?

what can i say ... great minds think alike, good luck with the build ... the race is definatly on to see who can get it going first

Dean
Quote:
Old 01-12-04, 00:09   #23
blue_vl_t
Player

the green machine is a td cortina wagon, 17"wheels etc, ( soon to have twin turbo 4 litre.) I have had an intercooler in that position with the radiator and motor, very little room for thermos though, I was going to mount them on the front, The two speed adapts with a Hugos raceglides adaptor, the bellhousing has to be cut off the two speed, then this adaptor bolts to the pump on the front with the new bolts that come supplied, then a std jatco bellhousung bolts to the adaptor. I dont have a sump yet, will come from crs though i recon. The exhaust fits down behind the turbo without cutting anything, there is a fai amount of room there actually, was going to use 3 1/2 inch. Do you have extra chassis welded or bolted into your hatch? keep me posted.
Old 01-12-04, 00:17   #24
MR 30L
Official Member

you know whats one thing i like about this post????

the nice legs in cal-a-kids garage mate cant get my eyes off them hehehehehehehe, wonder if they are going to open up like that engine is when u start it hehehe
Old 01-12-04, 00:20   #25
blue_vl_t
Player

yea nice legs, like the fluffy dice too a.