User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
GRUNT Performance

Old 19-06-05, 17:23   #26
alotofpsi
Official Member

Car: Refer to avatar
Trader Rating: (6)
One of the most useful threads ever posted. My ignition barrell was f***ed in the bt1 and I was selling my wrecked calais. The guy was here to pick it up and I pulled it out before he could put it on the trailor (12 minutes) thanks to this thread. Many thanks mate.
Old 29-06-05, 12:14   #27
sully
Player

Car: vl - duel fuel, no boost :(
Trader Rating: (0)
stupid theives

hey guys some people stole my vl not long ago got the car back but the ignition is jammed ie. i cant get the keys to turn to the on position to pull it out, any ideas apart from the above mentioned method of pulling really hard with plyers? thats kinda a last resort as i dont wanna break anything
thanks
sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-05, 15:00   #28
sully
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully
hey guys some people stole my vl not long ago got the car back but the ignition is jammed ie. i cant get the keys to turn to the on position to pull it out, any ideas apart from the above mentioned method of pulling really hard with plyers? thats kinda a last resort as i dont wanna break anything
thanks
edit: have fixed that problem, if anyone needs info them pm me.
new problem: when the key turns, the car starts, when the key turns to off, the car dont stop, i have to reach in behind the ignition to the white box (someone will know what im talkin about) and turn it off manually ie. the ignition cant pull back the switch. anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?
Old 30-06-05, 16:32   #29
Mr^Calais
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (10)
So using a flathead screwdriver, you use a hammer and bang the screwdriver with it to make that hole in the indentation against the ledge shown in the picture? And that hole you make is what "frees" the barrel so you can pull it out? Or once you make the hole do you have to press into the hole or how does that work, just that I'm not so clear on, thanks.
Mr^Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-05, 17:10   #30
sully
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr^Calais
So using a flathead screwdriver, you use a hammer and bang the screwdriver with it to make that hole in the indentation against the ledge shown in the picture? And that hole you make is what "frees" the barrel so you can pull it out? Or once you make the hole do you have to press into the hole or how does that work, just that I'm not so clear on, thanks.
once you make the hole press into it w/ screwdriver, there is a little peice of metal in there which holds the whole thing in - while doing this pull really hard and wiggle the barrel and it should come out
Old 25-07-05, 15:17   #31
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
hey guys forget this trick of tackling the ignition barrel we recently bought a VL commie and lost the key today i went and bought a brand new ignition from commwreck in sydney for $30 (lucky this one comes with 3 keys) no instead of going through that long process of taking everything apart all u need to do is stick a flat head screw driver inbehind the lip (the part people stick a shifter on to steal your car) just make sure u grab the second lip and slowly ease the ignition out i got mine out in 30 seconds the new one slipped strait in to do this u dont need a key to have the ignition in the "ON" position wether u have a key or not it still works and saves time u will have your new ignition in your car ready to use in 2 minutes! flat
Gazza2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-05, 15:44   #32
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

Car: 2012 ExtraCab Hilux 4X4, RB30DET 180SX
Trader Rating: (19)
Hay.. how? please tell us more.. Ill do a new one is this is the case..
Old 25-07-05, 15:46   #33
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
i will take some pictures of the job with my digital camera for u soon
Old 25-07-05, 16:09   #34
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
you will need to leaver the old ignition out at more than one point here i show 2 points (top and bottom) but i used the screw driver in two spots o nthe bottom and one on the top

here u can bairly see the lip u need to catch with the screw driver it is a snug fit behind the lip that people use to seal your car
Old 25-07-05, 16:12   #35
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
i tryed to edit my post with the pictures but could only delete it anyways in the pictures is our new ignition the last pic is the old removed one i didnt take any pictures once the barrle was out as it all happen so fast
Old 25-07-05, 19:14   #36
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

thanks man.. Sure you didnt **** anything but?
Old 25-07-05, 20:17   #37
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
it doesnt wreck anything it only snaps the little pin on the back of the ignition barrel this is the same thing as pocking the screw driver behind the steering wheel
Old 25-07-05, 20:26   #38
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
there are only two ways of doing this #1 is the way on page one #2 is the way i showed #3 is to replace the whole steering colum i forgot to add if u dont go easy u will get very very tinny scuff marks around where the screw driver goes saves buying a new steering colum doesnt it?
Old 26-07-05, 21:56   #39
VLPIMP
Player

Car: Blown v8 ute .. Vlct building
Trader Rating: (2)
lol mate the first way is the only way to do it.....the way described on this page is only if u intend on either having your car stolen or ur stealing a car...lol.....they invented keys on the key housing for a reason so no one comes up and rips out ya ignition barrel lol....if u rip it out with a flat head u snap the key and there for u wreck the barrel aswell and u can rip the whole ignition barrel out wit ya fingers...lol....
Old 26-07-05, 22:02   #40
Gazza2005
Player

Car:
the back of the ignition snaps no damage to the sleve and the new ignition has a new retaining clip to lock it back in mate i can tell u now u must be superman to pull it out with your fingers the guy at commwreck told me this little nifty trick he said hes replaced hes VL ignition many times this way if he can do it over and over with hes fingers would would he tell me to use a screw driver
Old 26-07-05, 22:08   #41
VLPIMP
Player

Car: Blown v8 ute .. Vlct building
Trader Rating: (2)
yea tru tru.....its all good.....
Old 10-01-06, 15:28   #42
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

Car: The Petercopter
Trader Rating: (14)
just changed mine then... took a heap of effort to get the boss kit off

and i had a heap of trouble getting the old barrel out, i had to tap the clip and wiggle the barrel at the same time

cheers for the guide, helped heaps
SYKO3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-06, 20:33   #43
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

Good to see people are still using my guide.. its about time i did a new one..
Old 10-01-06, 21:16   #44
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

yeah man, helped alot, but the old ignition barrel did NOT want to slide out after i pushed that clip in lol

had to keep pushing it with a screwdriver and wiggling and pulling on the ignition barrel to get it out

thanks again
Old 29-01-06, 16:18   #45
Cursed
Player

Car: Gold N/A '86 VL EXEC
Thanks for this guide it helped a lot. Had to change my ignition after some little prick tried to steal my car. They got my head unit which sucks but i've still got my car at least.
Took me all of about 20mins and most of that was getting the steering wheel off and cost me about $43, ignition and cheap steering wheel puller.

Thanks
Cam
Cursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 23:21   #46
Creamin
Player

Car: VL Calais 5 Speed
Trader Rating: (8)
I can't get the new ignition barrel to 'click' in, it's struggling, you can only stick it in so far.
Creamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 15:15   #47
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

keep wiggling the barrel around, move the key a little if you have to... eventually youll find the right position and itll go in easy
Old 07-02-06, 16:05   #48
Creamin
Player

Car: VL Calais 5 Speed
Trader Rating: (8)
Did you have to put much pressure to get it to click back in? I'm just sitting there, turning the key around and pushing the barrel in, hoping for it to just slot in, but no luck..frustrating.
Creamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 23:25   #49
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

i had much more trouble getting it out, it was fairly easy to get back in for me...

i had to press the little tab things in at the start to get it to slide in though , are you doing that?
Old 09-02-06, 23:54   #50
rununxt
PIMPIN A RIDE NEAR YOU!

Car: VR 5.0 statesman, HQ GTS 308 GT4088 turbo
Send a message via MSN to rununxt
that is good advise i have 2 to change problem is they were both broken into and they wont go to the on possision any advice cherrs
rununxt is offline   Reply With Quote