Tyres Now

Old 14-04-18, 18:49   #1
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
We are enthusiasts of what?

Thought I'd have a little rant on here.
Was just strolling through Facebook, and my feed kept on getting updated with discussions from not only Vl followers but other cars too.
The topics that continually pop up are 'what's my car worth' and 'show us pics of your car and how much would you ask'
Then occasionally you get a link to an expensive car and have a pack of responses like, 'hope it sells for that, it makes mine more valuable'.
10 years ago all we wanted to do and discuss were cruise around, build fast cars and talk about who's the quickest on the street and how they're not really a street car cause there using e85 and 255's.

When did we become money enthusiasts and not car enthusiasts?
Old 14-04-18, 20:08   #2
calaist5
Here since 2002

Car: 1D008D LW5 MX7 BT1, Vl “Calais MOCK” sl Turbo 5speed, VZ
Trader Rating: (0)
Totally agree - couldn’t care if the car is worth a $1.
A Vl turbo to me is the only car I don’t get sick of (so far since 1998).
I’d daily one if I knew it could be left somewhere with out getting damaged or lost.

So many people when they see our cars, the first thing besides “that’s nice” is the subject of monetary value. That’s when I lose interest with conversation with people.

I suppose it hasn’t changed Katsa and I could be wrong but I’m
Guessing in the 70s/80s whenever, these conversations (how much they are worth) were still prevalent.

http://www.johnmoylemotorengineering.com.au/
calaist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-18, 20:34   #3
deeno
Player

Car:
Totally agree Katsa, blew the auto in mine 5 years ago rolled off the back of the tow truck and has been in the garage ever since. I hate people asking what i reckon it'd be worth bla bla, i genuinely love the car don't make a difference to me what it's worth as i have no intention of selling. Just need the funds to get her back on the road lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 14-04-18, 20:50   #4
Katsa
Gold Members

Yep, it's getting abit much, literally have people calling me that are cashed up asking if they should buy a certain car because and I quote, "guys asking 20k and I've seen them listed for sale for 40k"
From people that used to hang sh1t on me for liking vlts as a kid cause they were 'ugly boxes, and muzza/wog cars'
I will be looking forward to the day all the "investors" piss of from the Vl scene.
I would go as far as saying, when/if the day comes where I'm sick of vls, I would almost give a car to a fellow enthusiast, terms are strictly must not re sell for a dollar, must give to another enthusiasts and he must also adhere to the above.
Katsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-18, 10:04   #5
deeno
Player

Car:
Ha yeah that'd be the day. The thing people may not understand when something is for sale, it will only sell for whatever someone is willing to pay for it anyway. I came from the era when genuine vlts were for sale for under 10k if it was a shmick calais or bt1 maybe 10-12 lol i miss that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 15-04-18, 10:53   #6
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (6)
Do you know what my VL's are worth?
1 Marinello V8 BT1 with a group 3 body kit (apart from calais front)
1 Calais Turbo (converted) Morning blue, and manual, with new paint (in july)

kkthxbai

i haven't driven my car in 3 years.
i honestly coudlnt give a flying **** as to what it's worth, i put a value of 30k on kalay, and 30k on the BT1

kalay because that's what it has cost me, and what it will cost me to replace her.
the bt1, how many red v8 bt1's are around?
only reason for a value is for insurance.

other than that, i can't wait to just get in my car, hit boost in 2nd, and keep driving.

i don't care about cruises, i don't care about clubs, i care about getting in my car, driving it and that's it.

when i first joined ct, 15 or so years ago (<<< read there) people were syaing, lower it more, put these wheels, do this do that... never have i done any of that.
my cars are built for me, by me, for my own enjoyment.
my little brother is going to the trouble of smoothing his engine bay, this and that, for others, i don't give a **** what others think.

i gave the bt1 to myother brother, with 3 very strict rules.
he can't sell it
need full comp insurance
bodykit stays

imagine the bt1 efficanatios that will have a heart attack later this year when the bt1 finally, after 16 years drives out of the driveway, with it's very "wog" plates and a body kit.
best thing? will be the first drive to the previous owners house, he was crying when i picked it up.

i can't wait for the ****heads to piss off and leave the scene... they should go into stocks or some****.

ifyou think i'm no enthuisist, good on you... i have my rear doors in my bedroom, with my blanket off my bed and pillow keeping them from bieng damaged.
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-18, 13:32   #7
Oliver
DB Tech Polarized

Trader Rating: (44)
I've had my VLCT since 98 sure the value has increased but it doesn't matter to me as the car will never be for sale and it will get left to my daughter in many many years time.

Most of the guys on here are real VL enthusiasts hence CT is always going to be better than the FB groups

I'm bringing a car full of girls for you as a thank you haha
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-18, 16:21   #8
Katsa
Gold Members

Ye, big fan of the forums, shame there's only a handful of us that contribute. To be honest that's why I started thread in public section and not members section to generate some discussion and see who's lurking around.

Might have to do a calaisturbo.com.au roll call and see who's still strolling around the forum lol
Old 15-04-18, 20:38   #9
John boy
Player

Car: VLCT
Guys well said , one other thing i hate is when you are trying to sell a car and people bagg it
John boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 17:15   #10
SilverCal
342kw @ 20psi bp98

Car: s2 vlct & ba xr6t
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to SilverCal
Loving the fact that the forums are still up, even if i don't come on here much anymore, hate the fact that facebook has ruined it.
SilverCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 19:11   #11
Katsa
Gold Members

Ye that's why I thought I'd make an effort to get this place up and going again! Unfortunately some of the clowns from Facebook will find their way over here if it starts ramping up abit
Old 18-04-18, 19:14   #12
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

we can ban them / control them here.

fb is just about likes and talking ****
Old 18-04-18, 20:29   #13
Katsa
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALAY View Post
we can ban them / control them here.

fb is just about likes and talking ****
Hahaha like your talking about wild animals, in your defence some of the comments I've read on fb your not far off.
My favourite thing to read though has to be the old can you decode my ID plate, there's a post daily of that lol
Old 19-04-18, 20:17   #14
mattlads
Player

Car:
katsa i dont want to be a **** but every thread you have made the last 6 months has been about the value of a vl ....
i am a big vl fan dont get me wrong but they are not valuable.... ( except hdt, walkinshaw ,directors and other specialty ones) a calais turbo will never be worth 50k and even if it was you would have to spend more then that getting it there. they are the slowest value growing cars going. i have owned about 10 now over the past 10ish years and never paid more then $1500 for one and neither has any one i know. vls are all about big ass turbos with mangled gearboxes doing big ass skids and thats all they will ever be and should be treated as.
anybody who thinks otherwise or posts adds on gumtree advertising wanted classic cars will buy cash to collect are scum.
mattlads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 21:46   #15
SII_Turbo
People read these?

Car: with wheels
Trader Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlads View Post
katsa i dont want to be a **** but every thread you have made the last 6 months has been about the value of a vl ....
i am a big vl fan dont get me wrong but they are not valuable.... ( except hdt, walkinshaw ,directors and other specialty ones) a calais turbo will never be worth 50k and even if it was you would have to spend more then that getting it there. they are the slowest value growing cars going. i have owned about 10 now over the past 10ish years and never paid more then $1500 for one and neither has any one i know. vls are all about big ass turbos with mangled gearboxes doing big ass skids and thats all they will ever be and should be treated as.
anybody who thinks otherwise or posts adds on gumtree advertising wanted classic cars will buy cash to collect are scum.
Sounds like you and your mates have only ever owned sh*tboxes.
SII_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 21:54   #16
Katsa
Gold Members

Quote:
This is the only thread I have made in the last 6 months regarding prices.
The other ones have been about arm rest paints, Pannic, a blue sl turbo etc etc.
Not sure what you've been reading mate.
Also it seems like that's all people want to talk about in regards to vls so it would make sense to try and generate discussion in this forum with current topics. You'll have to excuse me for trying to breath life back in these forums again.
To add to the above you will find that I to a point share your view about the price being unrealistic so not sure what you were getting at.
But thanks for the input mate, everyone's opinions are welcome and it's good to see you posting, shame you sold the Calais roller!

Last edited by Katsa; 19-04-18 at 22:20.
Katsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 22:22   #17
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Happy to ban people if we want to argue
Everyone has their own opinions but let’s keep it clean and not personal
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 22:58   #18
mattlads
Player

Car:
I was talking about the investment finewine thread and other comments but do not worry.
Half the people in this thread all tried to ask me how much i sold my calais for... so you all do care about sales prices.

I am a realist if i buy $1500 tidy na sl , turbo it and give it a quick paint job and it only owes me 3 to 5k then what is the point of paying $20000 for a lw5 where the only benefit is different letters on a piece of tin besides , yes resale value and wank factor are better but if the other car is so much cheaper even if you lose $1000 who cares

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 23:08 ----------

If you look at alot of the older monaro/toranas xa/xy falcons prices are dropping and cars that were all bought up and restoRed in the late 90s and early 2000s are now hitting 15 and 20 years old again and people are starting to sell them off again being now most of the owners are gettin on in years.
Now the jap imports are getting abit older people who liked them as kids when they came out are older and can afford to restore /build them better and the newer stricter import laws are pushing there prices up instead
mattlads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 23:27   #19
Katsa
Gold Members

Quote:
I was talking about the investment finewine thread and other comments but do not worry.
Half the people in this thread all tried to ask me how much i sold my calais for... so you all do care about sales prices.

I am a realist if i buy $1500 tidy na sl , turbo it and give it a quick paint job and it only owes me 3 to 5k then what is the point of paying $20000 for a lw5 where the only benefit is different letters on a piece of tin besides , yes resale value and wank factor are better but if the other car is so much cheaper even if you lose $1000 who cares

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 23:08 ----------

If you look at alot of the older monaro/toranas xa/xy falcons prices are dropping and cars that were all bought up and restoRed in the late 90s and early 2000s are now hitting 15 and 20 years old again and people are starting to sell them off again being now most of the owners are gettin on in years.
Now the jap imports are getting abit older people who liked them as kids when they came out are older and can afford to restore /build them better and the newer stricter import laws are pushing there prices up instead
I can see where your coming from, to many Vl lovers LW5 means a boatload however, I for one care about it. A good mate of mine however shares your opinion and doesn't mind.
I'd rather a rough factory turbo over a clean converted turbo. I'm strange like that.
As for the other cars you mentioned I can't comment as I don't follow them.
In terms of price and comments on price, it's relevant, if you want a Vl you have to pay a price, that's why we discuss it. I,personally would prefer vls to be cheaper cause I love the car not the value of it. But simple supply and demand will have it the other way.
Again good on you for posting your opinion mate, I can always appreciate another persons view! Have you got into another Vl mate?
Old 19-04-18, 23:43   #20
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
I pulled my Calais off the road for a resto a year and half ago... I don't plan to keep it in the garage either once it's running again. I plan on driving it regularly to work (because we have a secure carpark with boomgates and I'm security b!tch, so good luck theives :P)

Each to their own. A lot of guys would leave it in the garage and only bring it out on the odd show or cruise.
I could drive to work a new car, but something about my Calais and the smell of fuel, coupled with boost just can't be matched. As annoying as it can get at times driving a 30yr old car, problems, no Tech, etc. I wouldn't have it any other way.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 23:59   #21
calaist5
Here since 2002

Car: 1D008D LW5 MX7 BT1, Vl “Calais MOCK” sl Turbo 5speed, VZ
Great opinions Mattlads (Im not being sarcastic) I respect your input.

I agree Katsa, Im all about originality (LW5) and not for resale purposes.

MUS I hate shows and cruises (would rather find some drive with no one to get in my way).
Love the vl turbo daily (your nearly there).

Calaisturbo on fire this week - better call back up

http://www.johnmoylemotorengineering.com.au/

Last edited by calaist5; 20-04-18 at 00:02.
calaist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-18, 07:54   #22
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
I love cars and this website in general
Happy days boys
Love helping out fellow members and getting the same in return
It’s great
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-18, 11:02   #23
Katsa
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoVLCT View Post
I love cars and this website in general
Happy days boys
Love helping out fellow members and getting the same in return
It’s great
I love getting mms from you at 11 at night of rx3's
You almost have my dream collection
VL turbo
Indy orange HG GTS
Mazda rx2 with a stinky bridgy that idles like an old washing machine

There's my shopping list Deano, if you win lotto and can buy us one of each thatd be great
Old 20-04-18, 18:22   #24
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

kalay used to be a daily til 5 years ago or so...
got given to my brother, then, i became indian, so i took it back (he has his own black calais now)
after some "issues" (members will know), i hope to have it back on the roads by August.

and don't worry, it will never be hidden in a garage.

it's also getting a new identity..
Old 20-04-18, 18:38   #25
Katsa
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALAY View Post
kalay used to be a daily til 5 years ago or so...
got given to my brother, then, i became indian, so i took it back (he has his own black calais now)
after some "issues" (members will know), i hope to have it back on the roads by August.

and don't worry, it will never be hidden in a garage.

it's also getting a new identity..
I just sent deano pics of the sl turbo, getting rwc as we speak, I just popped by and put badges on minus electronic injection badges which I have at home still. Also had a crack at putting pinstripe on. Fair to say I ****ed it lol, at least I tried, car will be getting driven every few days! It's on a permit and I've already clocked up afew ks !
Feel free to post the 8 pics I sent ya deano in the original thread or in then thread I made about the car brother for all to,see and laugh at my pinstripe attempt lol