Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
G-Cylinder

Old 07-04-17, 12:25   #1
Tksiko83
Player

Car: Blown Ve e3 gts , sr5 dual cab
Trader Rating: (0)
advice on a crazy turbo 6 and some help

I'm a newbie when it comes to the turbo 6 game all I have had is v8 and v8 turbos. I have bought a vl calais roller and getting it all ready. I'm very undecided on which path I want to go with engine combination it's going to be a fully built turbo 6 or blown v8 lsa. Cost really is not a problem not going to spend 100's hundreds of thousands, but have a healthy budget. now for the turbo 6 thing what's the difference between normal 6 and the a8? If I plan to go turbo 6 I will be building a proper nitto stroker rb30, still don't know whether to go 26 head or leave the normal. Any advice would be awesome either way I will be setting the car up to run at bare minimum low 9s to 8s I'm not a bull****ter person wasting your time. Any help would be great I'm open to any advice

Last edited by Tksiko83; 07-04-17 at 12:38.
Tksiko83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 17:16   #2
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
Mate if your going to be doing as you say you will not need to buy an a8 block
A8 blocks mean they are a turbo block with different Pistons etc (lower comp)
Seeing as you will be pulling it down and replacing everything anyway it does not matter if you buy an a8 or an a6 block
Old 07-04-17, 18:39   #3
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

Trader Rating: (39)
if coin is not a problem, billet rb block :O
Psi_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 22:58   #4
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: VS exec forged LS3 + S482
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
Waste of coin building a stroker and using a single cam head - it's a mismatch and if your building extra cubes go a twin cam head. If your talking a Nitto stroker with twin cam - then you could be talking $100k by the time your done - because you wouldn't just use crappy accessories on that kind of combo.

The main thing with the RB30 I found is it's a great base to work from - it's a iron block, with a forged factory crank, and has a factory crank girdle. It needs a good set of rods, forgies, and a good oil pump with a crank collar. Personally I find for up to 700-800rwhp the single cam head will work fine on E85, but it'll be peaky due to the size of the turbo needed to make that amount of power unless you go something like a PT7675 which seem to spool pretty nicely yet have excellent top end.

If I was building an 8 second car build that sees street use on a budget (RB) I'd go a twin cam RB30, standard stroke, carrillo rods, cp pistons, nitto pump, ARP bolts and studs throughout, factory inlet, a nice collector on the exhaust, gtx42/borgy47x/pt76xx and a th400 with brake and a factory borgy diff with 31 spline axles and trutrac. Haltech/microtech/Emtron or Fueltech ecu, ID2000 injectors, a holley dominator 1800 fuel pump with walbro 460 lift, -10 line, mind inlet port work, set of tomei poncams, decent sump.

Otherwise, I decided to build a LS engine (never had one before) and wanted a high 8 out of it one day. Got a brand spanker LS3, new spool drag rods, cp pistons, new stainless solid stem valves, new bearings and all ARP studs and bolts, LS9 gaskets, mallory oil pump, baffled sump, xspurt 1550cc injectors, Holley 1800hp pump, glide with 3500 stall, and a S482 turbo and a water/meth setup while running pump e85.

Last edited by Morgz; 08-04-17 at 23:02.
Morgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 23:27   #5
mister.x
Player

Car: VL Calais, M35 250t Stagea
The A8 was a factory turbo. A6 was na, there are 2 types of na blocks "series 1" which doesn't have an oil return hole and "series 2" that does. I believe A8 vs A6 really just refered to the internals.

If you're stripping and replacing it an A6 series 2 block is your best option. It'll be cheaper and easier to find, the A8s should be left to people restoring factory turbos.
Old 12-04-17, 19:34   #6
Tksiko83
Player

Car: Blown Ve e3 gts , sr5 dual cab
Thanks boys and thank you morgz for taking the time to write all that it's helped
Tksiko83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 23:31   #7
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: VS exec forged LS3 + S482
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
Anytime bloke, if there's any other info needed I'm happy to have a chat.