G-Cylinder

Old 10-04-16, 12:53   #1
mattlads
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
vl on a 15 year olds budget

Hey guys ,
This is my nephews vl he just bought ,it was $800 and it is his first car and I have been given the task of making it look semi respectable.
It is an 86 automatic executive.
It has had 2 previous owners full history of roadworthys and was serviced at the holden dealership up until 150000 ks and now has 210000.
Came with factory optioned 28 spline disc rear end and optioned for the extra rust protection and it shows as the body is in great shape .
The paint was a bit rough it had gone a bit dull and brownish and had a lot of small stone chips and scratches that had been covered in what looked like white out.
mattlads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-16, 17:48   #2
mattlads
Player

Car:

This is how it looked when it first rolled into my back yard.
My phone camera is pretty terrible so it doesn't show all the spots on the paint.
first thing I put in a new in tank pump as the old one had disintegrated . flushed all fluids and gave it a good wash . then a bit of black paint around the windows .

---------- Post added 11-04-16 at 18:02 ----------

There was a few little spots where the tape lifted paint on window surrounds in last photo but they were touched up haha I couldn't leave it like that. Did a little bit of filler just on the small dents
Then there was a few weekends of rain so it sat for a bit.
Finally the sun came out and we started paint .
I did the door jams , bonnet and boot first separately as i have only been doing a few hours work each Sunday when my nephew bailey comes over to help and I find doing it this way it doesn't become a huge overwhelming job trying to rush to finish before the weekend is over .I've kept him as involved as possible doing the work and have been trying not to take over but it is hard when it stares at me all week ha.

---------- Post added 11-04-16 at 18:22 ----------

The paint is just that cheap septone paint from supercheap .
The white and clear was about 80 each so it was well "super" cheap.
We decided to add some jumbo holographic flakes so its not just another white vl .I find adding a pearl or metal flake always helps on a backyard respray because it adds movement so if you have a bit of dirt or something land in your paint it is hidden amongst the reflection or shine of the pearl instead of just a black dot in the middle of a plain white bonnet.
This is the first time I've painted a car literrally in a backyard since I was in high school in mums front yard. I'm really loving this project it is basically exactly what I did with my first car ,so it has brought back a lot of memory's and its fun to work on a car where not everything has to be perfect and there isn't any stress of money or deadlines.

---------- Post added 11-04-16 at 18:37 ----------

The holoflake is hard to see on my phone camera but in person it is ridiculously over the top. I'll get better quality photos up after I cut and polish it.

The next weekend we started the rest of the old girl
Masked up and then sprayed with the white base

Then some suspect clouds started to appear so I had to call it for quits for the day

---------- Post added 11-04-16 at 18:55 ----------

2 hours later it absolutely poored down but luckily enough the acrylic paint had dried enough so the rain didn't leave any water spots or marks.
The next weekend everything was remasked and the first coat of holoflake was sprayed .
He wanted a really dirty flake job so that's what he got.
The photos really don't show how reflective the flakes are .
You will see there is also a strong orange peel , you really have to bury the flakes in clear, wetsand then reclear otherwise the surface will feel like a piece of 80 grit sandpaper .

---------- Post added 11-04-16 at 19:11 ----------

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/2w5udlv.jpg[/

---------- Post added 11-04-16 at 19:12 ----------

Old 12-04-16, 18:25   #3
Mad87VL
Official Member

Car: VL SL Commodore 1987 (Calais Mock)
Nice stuff, start them young, that's the same age I started mine and I still have it 6 years later haha, keep it up!
Old 13-04-16, 00:38   #4
bo5ton
The ReviVL

Car: N/A VL Berlina
This is great! Your nephew is lucky you have the knowledge and know how to help him!
bo5ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-16, 21:42   #5
philby
Gold Members

Car: AVL 6
Trader Rating: (9)
looks good want to do mine?
But why did you not remove the door locks, handles, belt moulds and mirrors, dor trims before painting it?
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-16, 14:57   #6
mattlads
Player

Car:
Found a guy parting out his wrecked vt on Gumtree. So I went and scavenged the brake booster and master for $50! I really wanted to get the big front discs and calipers but they were all in pretty bad shape so I didn't.

Philby I left them on because I really didn't want to tear the car down nothing more frustrating then removing 30 year old plastic trims and because all the rubber seals around the locks and door handles are on the outside it is very easy to slide your tape in there and fold it back over to lift the edge slightly. I used a piece of whipper snipper cable around the back windscreen seel just to get it open enough to get some paint under there and not have that ugly seem when people just tape the edge.. Its just a lot faster if I was doing it properly in a shed I'd pull it off. Most people always completley strip the car break it all lose pieces and can't put it back on then give up and its up for sale advertised as " ready for paint" a month later haha.
Old 17-04-16, 14:15   #7
mattlads
Player

Car:
ok an update.
i planned on finishing it this weekend but ofcourse whenever you want to paint it attracts rain . it was on and off with sunshine so i didnt get to do the bumpers and the trim. theyll be getting done in mx grey i ordered a tin off ebay 1 litre of concept paint for $60 which is fairly cheap for a mixed tin and a half decent brand.
i installed the vt brake booster and master i didnt get any photos of install because i forgot and it was darkish anyway.
gave the boot a quick hit of export satin black which came up surprisingly well and only cost $6 . then a little bit of red on the plenum and some white on the overflow bottle because it had gone really brown and rough.

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 14:20 ----------

Old 17-04-16, 14:23   #8
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Good work
You fixing boot lip rust?
Also did you prime the car?
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-16, 14:24   #9
mattlads
Player

Car:

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 14:28 ----------

these photos are a bit out of order so last photo of boot is full of water and dust from wetsanding the rest of the car.

hey deano ,
i only primed the bits where it had been broken throught to metal.
i havent fixed the rust yet because i just moved into this place so i havent got a shed or anything yet thats why shes sitting in the grass haha, but once i do ill get a tig welder and some other tools and sort it out for him.

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 14:33 ----------

i put the boot on and reconnected the locks and then decided to be a hero and put the bonnet on by myself which turned out to be a mistake. i think it may have become slightly ben on one corner from when it was first taken off and just lent against the wall. i had it all padded off taking no precautions got it on bolted it on , did a test shut and it had a little bit of panel gap on one side and i had already removed all the towels adjusted it ever so slightly and as i was closing it again to check it caught on the bloody sill and chipped the paint

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 14:39 ----------

I am completely hating myself at this point

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 14:44 ----------

after picking up all the towels and rags very aggressively and putting them away i went and grabbed the touch up paint taped off the area and gave it a few coats then went and grabbed a pinchful of the holoflake and tried to sprinkle it in by hand . ( the holoflake was only $15 if anyone was wondering on ebay) . i am hoping i can add some clear and then wet sand it all down and get it even.

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 14:51 ----------

---------- Post added 17-04-16 at 15:01 ----------

i am getting a little frustrated with the car at the moment but only because of the weather.
i should have really had it completly painted in 2 weekends and had it buffed and polished and posted all over instagram by now but that is one of the downfalls of the backyard respray haha .
i only have a few more things to go now tho i just have to
-paint the moulds
-cut polish
-tidy the engine bay now i have the bonnet back on
and ill probly take the rocker cover to work and powdercoat it with a few other smalll things

then i can get it out of the yard because i have decided i want to build a vl of my own , i bought a gt35 turbo lastnight as an impulse buy haha so now i just need the rest of the car
Old 17-04-16, 17:06   #10
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Haha great work mate! So you went acrylic again?
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-16, 17:16   #11
mattlads
Player

Car:
yeah went acrylic
Old 20-04-16, 09:46   #12
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
looking good im looking forward to a fully unwrapped snap and a close up of it buffed in the sun!
Old 20-04-16, 11:56   #13
mattlads
Player

Car:
Yeah can't wait to see it fully polished. I have to do the bumpers first tho I don't want to risk the silicon getting on them then trying to paint over them. I'm hoping this long weekend to get it all done
Old 23-04-16, 16:45   #14
mattlads
Player

Car:
OK I had to work this morning and there was ment to be an afternoon shower and it is suppose to rain the next two days. the odds were against me , but I decided I'm gunna chance my arm to get this done and just add extra thinner for faster flash times.

---------- Post added 23-04-16 at 16:52 ----------

I had the whole thing sanded and taped in less then 15 min. After the first coat I noticed the pitting in the old side moulds and trim was a lot worse then it looked before paint. I do regret not pulling them off now and burying them in hi build primer
To smooth them out. I decided to hold off on drivers sides moulds as they were the worst and I'll do them with the rear garnish and small front grill.

---------- Post added 23-04-16 at 17:01 ----------

The sun briefly came out so I went with 1 to 1 mix ratio to try and to get some build and smooth it out then added to quick coats of clear.

Its mainly the small top pieces of trim where it is really rough so at least they will be easy to pull off and flatten out some other time

---------- Post added 23-04-16 at 17:05 ----------

There was so much newspaper to stop over spray it looked like it was wrapped in a vinyl comic book strip

---------- Post added 24-04-16 at 15:33 ----------

OK today I finished off the moulds and put the tail lights in.

So now I am calling it quits on this car as I feel like I have done enough and being its the nephews first car he should be working on it .
Its being trailered back to his house tomorrow and I'll polish it next weekend most likely .
He is going to paint the fuel tank and the exhaust to give it an all over cleaner look.
Other than that and some cleaning I'd say its basically finished.
Its already been lowered and has a newish exhaust and some bushes done so it is basically ready to go.
Everything including the car from fuel pump , taillights , paint, thinners, oils, master cylinder and new pads right down to sandpaper and masking tape has still cost less then $1200 .
And it should look a million dollars when its all washed down and rolling down the street.

I will post up some higher quality flicks when she is all done