Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 06-03-16, 14:52   #1
200series
Player

Car: VL series200 turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
Timing 90 degrees out? help asap please

have recently brought a manual vl, have re-set the timming belt and tensioner (as the previous owner didn't tension the belt befor tightening), put everything back together, made sure no.1 piston is at TDC on compression stroke, made sure rotorbutton was pointing towards no.1 on dizzy cap, starts up with a struggle, and when it idles it idles fine, but as soon as you touch the accelerator it dies, i have eliminated the TPS and have NO codes on me ecu apart from 31, which it doesn't run aircon so all codes are clear, i put the timing light on it and couldn't see any marks, i then got the timing light and looked at the harmonic balancer on the alternator side and i could see the timing marks !!!!!???? I'm stumped someone please tell me how to fix this ?
200series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 10:24   #2
86_vlbt
Player

Car: vl berlina turbo. Vl wagon. Vl exc
have you tried taking out the dizzy and turning it 180 degrees as both cylinder 1 and 6 piston will but up at the same time. other wise if the marks are close to the mark either side pull dizzy out and move it one tooth either way and try again
86_vlbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 17:01   #3
12maneym
Gold Members

Car: lw5 berlina turbo wagon A9Y wagon turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to 12maneym
Yea I'd say a tooth out
Old 12-03-16, 13:35   #4
200series
Player

ok so new update, the car starts and idles fine, but wont rev over around 2000-2500 rpm, it just dies as if theres an automatic fuel cut... tps is working and air flow meter isn't the problem im really stuck...
Old 12-03-16, 15:11   #5
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Plugs?
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 15:48   #6
200series
Player

car has also been sitting for 12 years and was run 3 times for like a minute in that period of time.

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 15:48 ----------

and not plugs allready checked, fuserail was cut out and i have wired everything correctly back together .
Old 17-03-16, 06:22   #7
bachig24u
Player

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (2)
sounds like the MAF or in tank fuel pump issue now.
ECU Calibration Engineer - Tuner
bachig24u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-16, 14:45   #8
200series
Player

not the MAF as i have a working car next to it and that car still runs fine with that maf, even swapped the whole dizzy from one car to another, no difference at all, i took intank fuel pump out because it wasn't pumping fuel, (hose on the internal fuel pump had perished) replaced that but when i connected it up again it pumped fuel, but not like my other vl's, could it be lack of fuel pressure, i put a see-through fuel filter in the engine bay to see if there was **** in the lines/make sure fuel was pumping, took allitle bit to fill up this tiny little fuel filter but yea any more suggestions ?
Old 17-03-16, 14:56   #9
bachig24u
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200series View Post
not the MAF as i have a working car next to it and that car still runs fine with that maf, even swapped the whole dizzy from one car to another, no difference at all, i took intank fuel pump out because it wasn't pumping fuel, (hose on the internal fuel pump had perished) replaced that but when i connected it up again it pumped fuel, but not like my other vl's, could it be lack of fuel pressure, i put a see-through fuel filter in the engine bay to see if there was **** in the lines/make sure fuel was pumping, took allitle bit to fill up this tiny little fuel filter but yea any more suggestions ?
Is the ignition timing problem sorted?
Which model ECU is in it?
is the engine NA or Turbo?
What codes come up on the ECU?
When it gets to 2000-2500 does it blow black smoke or pop or backfire?
Old 17-03-16, 15:02   #10
200series
Player

timing is still out, car idles but miss fires somtime, its 3em ecu, although i tried an auto ecu, still had the same problem, clear of codes, appart from 44, but this car is factory non aircon. engine is N/A, had the head rebuilt 12 year ago and has been sitting since, i have change oil and and coolant ect.. checked all spark plug gaps, turned the timing disc on the inside of the disributor around NO DIFFERENCE ...... im really mind blown.. and if you hold if at about 1500-2000 rpm for more than 5 seconds car dies...
Old 17-03-16, 16:08   #11
bachig24u
Player

Quote:
timing is still out, car idles but miss fires somtime, its 3em ecu, although i tried an auto ecu, still had the same problem, clear of codes, appart from 44, but this car is factory non aircon. engine is N/A, had the head rebuilt 12 year ago and has been sitting since, i have change oil and and coolant ect.. checked all spark plug gaps, turned the timing disc on the inside of the disributor around NO DIFFERENCE ...... im really mind blown.. and if you hold if at about 1500-2000 rpm for more than 5 seconds car dies...
definitely, must Focus on timing issue as if its that far out the engine can't rev properly.
Can you get another timing light to confirm. Most engines would be really unlikely to run that far off.

be worth checking the harmonic balancer hasn't perished and the timing ring has slipped around. check the engine for true TDC and the balancer lines up. then check doulbe check timing belt isn't a few notches out. 53 steps from dot to dot.

Have you drained fuel tank completely?. 12yrs.. might take a few fuel filters and an injector service to really sort this one. Cut up the old fuel filters to see how much contamination you are dealing with. The perished rubber from the in-tank pump would have gone through in to the high pressure pump. needs to be checked. See if it can flow around a litre in in 10seconds through the return line.
Old 17-03-16, 16:13   #12
200series
Player

timing is %100 as in the notches line up and harmonic balancer is in good nic, the car has only done 199000, swapped pump ect.. thouroughley cleaned intake fuel pump, the pickup (little sack/filter looking thing) on the intank fuel pump was completly perished, as i though it wasn't sucking because of not enough fuel but i've put plenty of fuel in...
Old 17-03-16, 22:35   #13
86_vlbt
Player

the fact that you cant rev over 2000-2500. to me sound 100% like a afm issue. have you checked wiring to the afm that its not broken wire ?
Old 18-03-16, 11:07   #14
200series
Player

i allready pulled the boot of the afm and checked the wires, and i re-wired a new plug onto the cas aswell.. i did a compression test last night with my old man, here's the results.... No.1 - 155 No.2 - 145 No.3 - 175 No.3 - 175 No.4 - 175 No.5 - 180 No.6 - 160, so the guy the rebuilt the head 12 years ago ****ed somthing up, i think this is the reason as to why its not running .... as i chucked the afm straight onto my other vl and runs perfect...
Old 21-03-16, 13:55   #15
200series
Player

no.3 - 165 *
Old 22-03-16, 07:51   #16
bachig24u
Player

Quote:
i allready pulled the boot of the afm and checked the wires, and i re-wired a new plug onto the cas aswell.. i did a compression test last night with my old man, here's the results.... No.1 - 155 No.2 - 145 No.3 - 175 No.3 - 175 No.4 - 175 No.5 - 180 No.6 - 160, so the guy the rebuilt the head 12 years ago ****ed somthing up, i think this is the reason as to why its not running .... as i chucked the afm straight onto my other vl and runs perfect...
Comp test is only an indicator of a catastrophic mechanical fault. Flipping the dizzy chopper disc is never a good idea and can really screw things up, it needs to be correct way up.

I'd really like to have a look at this timing issue
if you're around Sydney/illawarra.
Old 22-03-16, 15:18   #17
200series
Player

my mechanic i see and speak to said the tame thing, those compressions would be fine, he said as of right now he is stumped, unfortunently im in Perth, Western Australia so it's abit far away, i ripped the engine and gearbox out this morning, only bought it for the head and gearbox, would've been nice to have the car running before i took it out but who cares, GOOD NEWS, car is getting primed this weekend and hopefully painted next weekend, it's my partners car, getting painted in pearl pink with black side mouldings, converted to manual with usual small mods.. but $10000 spray job so hopefully should look mint ! will post a thread up on the build after i finish it, dont have time atm haha...

---------- Post added 22-03-16 at 15:21 ----------

and what were you getting at with the intank fuel pump? that could still be the underlying issue here.... does anything on the engine actually read the fuel pressure, or does it have to be at a certain level for the engine to rev ect.. ?
Old 27-03-16, 19:04   #18
200series
Player

bump, wanted to know about the in tank fuel pump issue....
Old 30-03-16, 09:13   #19
86_vlbt
Player

the only thing that knows what the fuel pressure is. is the fuel reg and it has no wires to it .
ive had one of my cars running with only the external pump working as i had the tank out and swapped pumps and wired it up backwards but even with that disconnected it still ran
Old 31-03-16, 11:07   #20
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Trader Rating: (4)
tooth out
stretched timing belt
stuffed keyway on crank (copped that on my old motor)
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-16, 11:26   #21
200series
Player

i could still read the branding on the timing belt and showed no signs of cracking ect.. keyway on the crank is fine, i took the head off and from what i could see it looked like only 1 side of the valves on the head were opening up... half the piston on all the pistons were clean as hell and the other half was black same with the valves ...