Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
JD CUSTOM

Old 19-06-15, 12:26   #1
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
Sirollers VL Berlina EFI 304

Hi guys.

briefly i've been searching for a v8 tow car and couldn't find any nice VL v8's. either theyre all 6 grand and modified contrary to my taste, 15g and a calais or 1500-2500g and rusted out with 400,000km.

I looked at a shell in Benalla, but it had a ding a repaint and no engine. the donor car had been sitting in the elements air filter off engine bay covered in leaves and grease and it had 300,000km. I decided 1800 was too much for what was essentially an unknown engine and a rolling shell.

So after shopping around a bit more and finding a few other cars with rust or accident damage I was about to give up and look at vn - vs bt1's or something similar.

Then i thought, how hard is it to do an efi 5l conversion? after reading up here it sounds as if its within my ability and even better you can start with an efi 6cyl which is cheaper and still readily available in good condition.

Now 6 months ago I purchased a car sight unsees in Alexandra VIC. it cost 500 + pickup fuel and when we got it home it was rust free very straight very original and just had a blown headgasket.

heres a few pictures.

VL Berlina.
marinello red
sandlewood trim
n/a auto

slight accident damage. the bit on the rear 1/4 will get Paintless dent removal. the bumper I can belt out myself.

Grandpa - Nudge Bar

Now, i'd been sitting on this wondering what to do as it was a little too nice to strip but i really don't need another 6cyl. Now it has a purpose!

I started looking around for V8's under 1500 that i could make some money back on by selling parts so calais and statesma were at the top of the wanted list.

I stumbled across a partly disassembled VQ stato in Pakenham. the advert said 800. but the comments said he would take 700. I spoke to him and he said it was driven in and would run with a battery and some fuel.... was he ever wrong!

I went down to look and he had done a runner on his wife and left her with 3 kids under school age. she was trying to control the kids and a newborn and show me the car and F me it was off tap. ive been to quiter dance clubs.

we stuck a battery and fuel i and discovered the fuel pump wasnt primimbg. i left her to replace the immobiliser battery and came back again 2 days later. we started it again and it shot fuel into the air. at this point id had enough. the guy had pulled it apart and f****d with all sorts of stuff.

So i went home and hit him up with the intent to offer 500 as is. he came back at 550 and at this point i now own a VQ 304 1990 build and a VL berlina 6cyl for the sum of 1050.

The 'Q

long range tank!

ye-hah

So now I've spent some time getting it running and learning about v8's and engine swaps. I've lined up the following parts so far:

Airbox / elbows / K&N panel filter
LSD VN Live axle diff (28 spline 3:08 gearset)
finned walkinshaw style rocker covers

I've also found out the car currently leaks tranny fluid, engine oil and fuel! so it will be a lot of tidying up and seals and welsch plugs before it is installed into the VL.

Plan is to get the engine running and driving in the Q and strip out as much of the old gas and immobiliser as possible. when its down to the bare minimum to run and still running I'll pull it out and start the swap stage!
Old 19-06-15, 15:57   #2
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members

Car: Vlc wagon, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Should be a good little weekend project for you. Guessing the plan is to just clean up the Berlina and just make it comfortable to drive?

How many cars to own atm now?
Old 19-06-15, 16:20   #3
TRELL4
Useful Idiot

Trader Rating: (5)
Looking good mitch! will be keeping an eye on this build thread make sure you keep it updated hey, droptank is a great bonus
Old 19-06-15, 16:24   #4
88wagon
lucky vlct wagon owner

Car: 88 calais turbo wagon, vy ss wagon, vl na calais wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to 88wagon
Yeah definitely be watching this one man can't wait.
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-15, 18:36   #5
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
Trader Rating: (0)
very exciting build this one, will be watching keenly!
Old 21-06-15, 19:57   #6
SIroller
CAL.415

hey boys cheers for the kind words and excitement.

plans are yes a budget clean bruiser. won't be fast but i'll try to clean it as much as possible. donor as many parts as possible from my wrecks etc.

but i won't go as far out as i have with my vl turbo.

the turbo is still pretty refined but damn ive poured some cash into it!

so today I've spent another 300 almost.

purchased a 28 spline 3:08 VN diff with LSD locally.
also purchased some VT style engine covers with the throttle plate required to fit.

got a quote of 150 for the lsd centre dissasembled cleaned and shimmed and returned tighter than a nun's proverbial.

won't be a quick project but hey. every man needs something to tinker on. reliable cars are boring!

re how many cars i have atm I have:

1 x vlt wagon
1 x vx calais daily
1 x hk brougham (dad's)
1 x HR prem 186 2spd currently shell on rotisserie
1 x HR special 179 HC 3 on tree complete unrestored
1 x vl berlina (this red one)
1 x vl berlina (blue one pictured rusted to buggery)
1 x a9y claais n/a (purchased dissasembled so currently a big bucket of parts)
3 x RT81 toyota corona. 1 shell 1 free car 1 registered.
1 x VK V8 wagon (purchased to build a VL V8 but found the efi route shat all over the VK route.)

so yeah whatever that equals.
Old 22-06-15, 20:45   #7
SIroller
CAL.415

I was tossing up whether to drop in my diff centre or not but i bit the bullet today its only $150 so shouldn't be a big financial strain! still progressing slowly. got to get rid of my other scrap heaps before serious work begins
Old 23-06-15, 09:47   #8
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Hell yeah.. i will definitely watch closely, am bringing my vl factory 5l home soon.. so i keep saying. And am going to have fun bringing some life back into her as you are.
Mine seems pretty clean, not that i have properly gone through it lol. Hopefully i dont have too much drama.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-15, 21:26   #9
SIroller
CAL.415

what have you got / what did you buy? not the morning blue sl / exec? from the s.e. burbs? I've inspected most of the v8's for sale the last few months!
Old 24-06-15, 09:39   #10
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
This wasnt for sale, was my cousins car. 88' opera house edition. Rare find, dont see many around. No rust, immac paint and trim. Just a few broken odds and ends on the inside. Carby is always dry and doesnt like to change to 2nd gear til 60kmh. Stock as a rock minus a crappy deck and aftermarket catback/ air filter.

At this point i just want to, rebuilt the lsd and auto. Fix whatever the little problems are and get extractors highflow cat/ muffler. Oh and neaten up the bay.

Last edited by MUS; 24-06-15 at 09:43.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-15, 18:03   #11
SIroller
CAL.415

well guys, good news is i got some more done today. working towards a minimalist VQ so i can make sure the wiring harness has all of the gas etc deleted but still runs.

bad news is the diff centre i purchased was predictably, shot. even the carrier was a bit effed so i suppose i just spent the cash on a gearset and axles. so a tad pissed off but what do you do!

this week im back up in shepparton and we are getting dad's shed sorted and cleaned before we start on the vL.

on the VL there has been some movement however.

I purchased some 18" momo statuses from a forum member today and I also changed the VL's rolling stock from chasers to 15x7 aeros. shes looking better already.

Not sure if i mentioned but i also scored a cheap set of VT style engine covers with the throttle plate required to fit!
Old 29-06-15, 21:33   #12
priceysVL
Gold Members

Car: 1988 A9Y VL Calais Wagon
Keen to see this progress mate. And hopefully to the same standard as the wagon.
priceysVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-15, 14:24   #13
SIroller
CAL.415

pics tell a thousand words.

as I said I've finished wrecking out a few parts cars to make room for this POS.

story on the berlina.

the vehicle is currently at its third owner. original owner popped a headgasket and put the car up for sale. It was then purchased by a guy for his younger brother who was mid teens.

the teen brother didn't want the car. i guess he judged it too hard or maybe he wasn't into vl's.

the car was then advertised on gumtree where i purchased it sight unseen.

the car is pretty much dead stock. It has:
2 rear gmh mudflaps,
nudge bar
stock tape deck
stock steering wheel
uncut parcel shelf
uncut body and doortrims
unrusted boot floor
unrusted spare wheel well
all windows have the registration plates recorded on them.

its a May 88 car (I was born 18.05.88) so has the VN style seats.

as it's pictured is how we got it except it came on 14" hubcaps and rims. its got a mox of rims i had rolling around the shed on it for the moment.

paint seems good but faded. only dent I've found so far is on the rear passenger 1/4 above the taillight eyebrow.

all I've identified it as needing so far is a taillight and a few bumper trims.

Let the pictures begin!

side on:

bum end:

front pass corner:

front end (wow that nudge bar needs adjusting... )

mm those aeros suit it perfectly

---------- Post added 06-07-15 at 14:28 ----------

genuine glass:

drivers seating position:

original rego? DKY983

drivers seat not torn:

drivers headrest. I've never seen a build up of muck anything like this:

passenger foowell:

drivers footwell. dirty but no tears or excessive wear

drivers seat growing a micro-organism colony

uncut original carpeted parcel shelf

---------- Post added 06-07-15 at 14:34 ----------

dirty ass rear seat and seatbelt orange has gone white

general filth, rear pass door

map pockets look good, rear floor just as filthy as everything else

polishing these marks out will be a chllenge. and check out the lock protectr. geez thats seen some sun

damn it. hate chasing down these sort of parts.

everything is filthy. EVERYTHING!

i mean what is this?

342.xxxkm. guessing this isnt correct given the interior condition

last reg 2014 under a rego different to the original plates?
Old 06-07-15, 14:38   #14
SIroller
CAL.415

engine bay in daylight

car 83,744 to roll off of the adelaide production line.

trim codes

dont know what you call this area. cowl? between windscreen and firewall

more stuff growing

more stuff growing

boot floor. seems a bit crusty looks like its been bitumen painted at one stage

spare wheel well, just dirt no rust (visible yet)

new engine covers
Old 06-07-15, 22:40   #15
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Cool Mitch! You've got a certain way with projects, love your builds. That re-rego plate is a probably a late 2005-early 2006 at a guess (I had a new VL re-rego around then and got TPA-xxx).

I know this is a long way down the track, but any thoughts on getting cruise control into it with the EFI 304? It'd be a must-have for me having a car for this purpose. Interesting that it's a late build Berlina without cruise. I imagine the easiest way would be to use an entire cruise setup from and EFI 304 VN, and just have it use the VL cruise buttons (for the factory look).

Can help you make that adaption later on if you're interested.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-15, 18:48   #16
SIroller
CAL.415

Hey Tim, good to see youre still stalking hows life? loving being a para?

I wasn't going to bother with CC. i figure if i tow i can't really use it but for an interstate bruiser it'd be nice. I'll make sure i keep the parts then.

yeah it has no powerpack stuff so i'd probably need a new body loom and CBF with that at this point. I think I'll have a big enough project ahead of me for the moment getting it running and presentable!
Old 08-07-15, 15:55   #17
fleas
COLONY SAVAGE

Car: 1988 Executive; 1987 Executive
Trader Rating: (27)
Yeah, that's the Cowl panel

Are those the car's original instruction/log books in the boot pic?
Old 13-07-15, 11:18   #18
SIroller
CAL.415

whats the cowl panel fleas?

and nah they're VT ones. I have spare manuals but not for this particular car. just ones from the wreckers yards back in the day.
Old 29-07-15, 20:00   #19
SIroller
CAL.415

more pics hell yeah. who needs words eh?

engine bay from above

engine ready to be removed

oops forgot to undo the ger selector!

and shes out!

engine out. i'm glad i took a photo. i've already forgotten how filthy this was. Maybe the 370,000km on the odometer is corect

took her outside to clean the garage and clean the bay.

i soon realised it'd take more than one clean. Note dad's a9y na auto and another berlina wreck in the background. the orange one is an rt81 corona. parts car for my green corona which is now written off.

this is her afetr the first scrub. bay was still wet so looks shinier than it is (well currently anyway. it'll be hand polished)

---------- Post added 29-07-15 at 20:07 ----------

with the car at this point i was able to start removing pretty much everything. I started by removing stuff which i wouldn't need or wanted to tuck / shave / delete... but as I got further into it .... well it escalated...

all of the bolts I will need and some i'm not sure whether I'll need have been tagged and boxed. these cases have 2 sides with this many compartments and were about $6.50 from bunnings. i purchased 4. one's missing (I'm looking at you dad!) and one is already full. So it's been a champ so far.

now i'm sitting in bed reading up on fuse rails in gloveboxes as pulling that wiring through is the next challenge.

the last few day's efforts have revealed no rust or dents. it has revealed a missing a/c fan and that the front bumper was all held in with non genuine bolts. also the nudge bar I have is held onto the bottom of the rdiator support whereas the old One i have from another wreck is bolted on ito the standard 4 big bolts for the front bumper reo.

interesting!

---------- Post added 29-07-15 at 20:12 ----------

thats it for the moment as im heading back to melbourne and will be away from the far for another week.

next time im up itll be more cleaning and maybe re-bitumen painting the inner guards and rust treating stuff there in prep for the v8 struts and k-frame.

I did the same to my vl wagon if anyone cares to look. I'd strongly suggest getting in and doing this now on your cars as I've seen vk's rusted through and i know that all cars I've done this to have had lots of gunk up in there.

a few spotlight pics for yas:

best battery tray in an original engine bay??

bug infestation drivers side guard liner

the helpers. Indy, my sisters 7 yr old maltese ****su and Dot, my 9 month old Maltese ****su.

until next time drop a comment if you are reading it will keep me going when things start to get tough!
Old 29-07-15, 20:24   #20
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Mint Mitch, what you find is best way to clean the bay?
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-15, 20:38   #21
SIroller
CAL.415

deano that was a scrubbing brush and fuel in a spray bottle. the next steps will be degreaser and a softer brush then degreaser sponge hot water and suds then itll eb claybar polish wax.

will probably need heaps and heaps of degreaser and suds. its pretty rotten still. as you can see in the later photos with the flash>

I didn't use a pressure washer as I've seen it rip paint off of chassis rails on a mates VL either where brake fluid has seeped over the years or where the body wasnt prepped properly at factory.

It took the paint back like you can see ner the exhaust heatshield here>>>

---------- Post added 29-07-15 at 20:41 ----------

I'll use a pressure washer on the inner arches as the finish under there doesn't matter its more about getting it sealed (set safe forget.)

heres what i did to my turbo wagon a while back.

---------- Post added 29-07-15 at 20:43 ----------

unfortunately i learned some lessons on the turbo which i can get a better finish with on the berlina. if only they hadn't been learned on the nice car!
Old 06-08-15, 09:51   #22
SIroller
CAL.415

@deano we hit the engine bay with ct18 truck wash and starting to clay now. seems to be working fine. just a few stubborn aras may need a hand clean with fuel later on.

fuse harmess gave me a headache. its now through the firewall with just the blower fan assembly removed (not the whole dash)

pics and updates soon including some inspiration pictures.
Old 06-08-15, 12:41   #23
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Cheers Mitch sounds good bud
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 17:15   #24
dougall83
10:3 @129mph

Car: calais turbo"VLT006"
Trader Rating: (2)
U always surprise me with ur detail and attention mate,
Top work
Old 06-08-15, 18:18   #25
CYNICL
Official Member

Car: '87 White VL Berlina factory 5Spd.
Coming a long great always love your detail and resto kind of stuff!
CYNICL is offline   Reply With Quote