User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Victoria
JD CUSTOM

Old 17-06-14, 13:16   #1
AJETVL
Player

Car: VL Calais Turbo S11 1987
Trader Rating: (0)
P-platers allowed to drive Vl turbo cars in Victoria?

The Victorian Government is relaxing vehicle restrictions to allow P-platers to drive heavier vehicles for work and smaller fuel-efficient V8 cars.

Under the new restrictions, power will be limited to 130 kilowatts per tonne instead of the number of cylinders.

Full Story
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-1...rnment/5528564
AJETVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-14, 13:42   #2
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
130 kW per tonne, and as you said, for fuel efficiency. There will be no VL Turbos.

Kind of irritating to see all of these P-platers getting excited and thinking they'll be allowed to drive xr6 turbos and the like
Old 17-06-14, 17:43   #3
12maneym
Gold Members

Car: lw5 berlina turbo wagon A9Y wagon turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to 12maneym
2010 models only and later isn't it?
Old 17-06-14, 19:11   #4
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (4)
yeah, these guys didn't read the actual article however
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-14, 10:09   #5
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
is there a link to the article?
back when we were on our p's it was the 125kw per tonne and vlts STOCK passed, so if that were the case it would def mean you would see plenty of vl turbos on our streets on a daily basis again
Old 18-06-14, 13:01   #6
[SLY.747]
LMCT 696969

Car: VZ HBD Calais 5.7, XR5 Turbo with the lot lol
Trader Rating: (12)
Lol did anyone actually read the rule change? As 12maneym said 2010 models and newer, dont think your going to drive your vl's on p's anytime soon. Plenty of little pocket rockets to choose from, or spineless heavy v8 boats tho!
[SLY.747] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-14, 13:39   #7
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Yeah newer than 2010 so definitely no VLs
Old 06-07-14, 20:55   #8
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (4)
its due to the fact that there is "no data" on the power and weight of older vehicles, yet NSW you are allowed to drive them...
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 09:35   #9
conci
Player

Car:
4 Probationary prohibited vehicles
r. 4
(1) For regulation 56(1) of the Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2009 substitute—
"(1) Subject to subregulation (2), for the purpose of regulation 57, a probationary prohibited vehicle is a motor vehicle (other than a motor cycle) that—
(a) in the case of a motor vehicle manufactured prior to 1 January 2010—
(i) has an engine with 8 cylinders or more; or
(ii) has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (other than a diesel powered vehicle); or
(iii) has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle); or
(iv) is declared by the Corporation under subregulation (4)(a) to be a probationary prohibited vehicle for the purposes of this regulation; or
(v) has a modification declared by the Corporation under subregulation (4)(b) to be a high powered modification; or

(b) in the case of a motor vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 2010—
(i) has a power to mass ratio which exceeds 130 kilowatts per tonne; or
(ii) has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance, other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle.".
(2) For regulation 56(2) of the Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2009 substitute—
"(2) A probationary prohibited vehicle does not include—
(a) a vehicle declared by the Corporation under subregulation (4)(c) not to be a probationary prohibited vehicle; or
(b) a vehicle operating under a club permit issued under Part 3.4 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009.".

the last section states that a car operating under the club permit scheme does not get included into restrictions, put it on club reg and you can drive al vlt
conci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 22:26   #10
will-98
Player

Car:
i have recently been looking into this as my vl almost on the road, on the vicroads website there is a section for cars manufactured before january 1 2010. (THE OLD RULES ARENT GONE) in this section it says you can apply for an exemption if your car is a family type car (sedan) and has a power to weight ratio of under 125kw per tonne. i was curios to see what the power to weight ratio was for a stock vlt was so i did the calculation which was power (148kw) divided by weight(1250kg) times 1000, and it came out to 118.4kw per tonne. a sedan vlt is clearly banned on the vicroads prohibited vehicle data base, so i sent in an enquiry asking why it was banned and i received a call back, the outcome of the call wasn't good but nor was it bad, i asked her why it was banned because its clearly under the requirement for an exemption and she litteraly replied "i dont know". she said you can send an exemption form in with a separate sheet stating the specifications of the vehical and hope for the best.
will-98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-14, 22:00   #11
MUS
Couldnt care less

Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
It's banned because they know you will boost it and wrap it around a pole with your limited driving experience. The past has shown plenty of p players doing what I just said. This is why they were targeted and ridiculed off our roads.. That and they dose loud which results in direct underage pregnancies as the 17yr olds may get aroused

Last edited by MUS; 16-08-14 at 01:57.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-14, 16:40   #12
will-98
Player

Car:
yeah i do agree, but what about other cars, for an example a vs statesman v6 supercharged, u can apply for an exemption and I'm sure u can just as easily get more power out of it. so i just don't get why vicroads have done this. stuffs it up for people that aren't going to be stupid.

Last edited by will-98; 17-08-14 at 16:51.
Old 17-08-14, 17:48   #13
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

A VS statesman doesn't have a performance reputation. Remember how the restrictions here are for performance.

A VL turbo is synonymous with dangerous driving - that's the reputation sadly, no matter how much I disagree with it
Old 18-08-14, 15:46   #14
will-98
Player

Car:
good point man, too bad people have given them a bad reputation, ill try with the exemption and let you know how i go, not a good chance of getting one but worth a shot.