User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
G-Cylinder

Old 13-06-14, 21:08   #1
CalaisAP
Player

Trader Rating: (0)
Original Vl Calais Turbo, Evening Blue

I've been on these forums for a while since 2012 when i bought my first Calais, still don't think i've done a write up on that but I'll put a pic in here.
Anyway felt like doing a write up on my second VL. its an Evening blue over silver, factory Calais turbo.

I was looking for months for a calais turbo and i'm a very picky person, anyway i kept looking at cars that were apparently 'mint' and factory turbo then i'd go look at a car which turned out to be a hunk of *&^# and wasn't an original turbo. Not saying there's anything wrong with a converted turbo but i already had a NA Calais so i could have converted that if that's the thing i was going for. Anyway, found this one on car sales last year in Sydney and bought it without seeing it based on me being prepared for a respray or screwed gearbox or whatever could be wrong with the car. Anyway i got it for $8500, plus $300 freight to Adelaide, where it turns out the car was originally sold and bought here in August 1986 at Dutton's Automotive in Murray Bridge. Within a week i picked it up at the depo with my cousin and we drove straight to Regency park for an ID inspection, i have no idea how it passed, but it did.The car passed on ultra lows all round. lucky it had no engine mods and the exhaust is reasonably quiet.

Not long after i stored it at my grandparents house for a while before moving it to my cousins house where we serviced it etc. anyway the first night i took it out for a proper drive, the gearstick went all floppy and loose, anyway some clip screwed up in the box and it had to come out so i ended up putting new clutch in at the same time and it ended up being a $1500 job after one 15 minute drive. anyway since the i raised the car, and then re lowered it (the rear only), repainted the rocker cover wrinkle red, changed the steering wheel, removed the tint and scrubbed the @#U& out of the leather.

Original A8 engine, currently only running aftermarket exhaust, and front mount with JD custom piping. Car was originally turbo Auto, but somewhere along the line a MX7 box was put in.

The cars running pretty much standard suspension besides lowered in the rear slightly and shocks. Its on og calais wheels with 235 tyres at the back.

Factory leather car, all standard inside except for series 2 door trims (have the others). Car still had the cassette player and original steering wheel on it when i bought it. it was the most unmolested Calais turbo i could find and i got it at a reasonable price, the car also came with logbooks too. car also has the HDT LE bob tail on it which i think is a nice touch.

Eventually i want to buy a motor that's had all the hard work done already, hopefully making around 350kw.

let me know what you think of the cars, any tips or things you reckon i should do Thanks!!!

This is it how it currently looks

and from the back

This is how it looked when i bought it, pretty much exactly the same except sitting on polished rims not the machined ones.

my custom plate, with the front mount and re painted rocker cover

Thats the interior shot, just a pic from when it was on carsales

Vins on the vlct

This was my first car, vl calais, never sold it.
CalaisAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-14, 10:44   #2
priceysVL
Gold Members

Car: 1988 A9Y VL Calais Wagon
Both look very clean mate, solid investments. Must be a rare combination of leather trim in an evening blue. Never seen it before
priceysVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-14, 19:07   #3
CalaisAP
Player

Thanks man, yeah i hadn't seen an evening blue Vl before i bought this at all!