User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other Readers Cars
Tyres Now

Old 24-03-14, 12:56   #26
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
more running in issues.

overheated a few days ago after the system had been slowly leaking for a few hundred miles. let it cool down and filled it back up and ran fine until i lost blinkers on the western ring road of melbourne. i was a bit suprised and wondered if the flasher can may have gone. anyway ill fix that when I'm home i thought. next thing i pull up at the freeway off ramp and lost all power.

so i'm pretty sure whats happened is that the dirty water (still working on radiator flushing the clogged engine and pipes etc.) has leaked out of the thermo housing, its been sprayed all over the engine bay and has dried up as a film of dirt and grit. its also been sprayed all ovr the alterntor.

I t first thought i may have shorted out and fizzled the alterntor. but i fully charged the battery then tested the charge.

now it could be higher but that looks pretty good to me. i think the next step is a full pull off and clean of the alternator and all associated ground leads and battery clamps.

also while I'm at it i'll empty that bloody radiator again. its a bit dark but you can see how un-clear the water is.

the radiator flush has been left in for longer than it's supposed to be but its working!

also i took the radiator off and have been hosing out the inside. i'm actually getting chunks of crap out of it which wouldn't pass through the radiator (they were in the top of the core.)

so more work!

---------- Post added 24-03-14 at 14:08 ----------

Also did the math.

7.8l / 100km
Old 25-03-14, 17:52   #27
SIroller
CAL.415

today i did a little work on her and started to fall for what we all know we shouldn't do. the "while I'm at it i may as well....."

the entire front of the engine is off. all pf the alternator puleys, fan, radiator etc. theres a suprising amount of gunk there which I've been softening up and scrubbing ff with petrol and degreaser and the entire alternator apart from the top which has obviously been cleaned, is full of black grease and dirt. even all of the innards. I set to work with a toothbrush and some petrol and its come up good. even the regulator on it was ful of bloody grime. no wonder it decided to give up on me. hopefully all of this as well as the new terminals and some cleaned up earths will get me by for a while longer.

before

after

more gunk

new hardware

did i memtion i flushed out my goop? i mean break fluid sorry. from speed, i can now slam on breaks ad they'll pull up dead straight. that means i can put the brake rebuild on the back burner for the time being

At Melbourne Oldschol cruisers a few wekends ago

and finally a few dress items, 1944 kooyong tennis club lawn tennis guide.

what appears to be early 70's touring map.

the fantastic view from my home office today

getting tonnes of views here so i guess someone is enjoying the build story!
Old 29-03-14, 07:53   #28
88wagon
lucky vlct wagon owner

Car: 88 calais turbo wagon, vy ss wagon, vl na calais wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to 88wagon
Just had my first read of this thread mitcham, damn you inspire me..
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 09:11   #29
SIroller
CAL.415

so everything is back together and while it run's 1/4 of the gauge cooler im flabbergasted as to why the olt reading went down. its charging at 13.4-6 now! ah well bloody cars.

all clean and looking good. now i can start on one of a million other projects the car requires. also it cruised all of saturdy night not a hassle at all.
Old 05-05-14, 12:57   #30
SIroller
CAL.415

Updates Yee-Ha!

Today i've been out shopping. I visited:

(try to guess what i'm doing from the shopping list..)

Jaycar - (car aerial T piece parts / audio install battery fittings / audio fuse holder)
Autobarn - (Battery isolater switch, 8m 4ga wiring (blackish colour,) RCA wires 5m / 4ga crimp terminals)
Bunnings - (Resin / hardener / builders twine)
Spotlight - (1.5m x 1.2m mexican rug print material / 1.5 x .5m strechy polar fleece material.)
Clark Rubber (1.5 x .5m thin foam / .5m flat rubber 30mm wide / $10 bag of offcuts)

then I called dad and got all of my miscelaneous MDF cut-offs sent from the farm to my house in mebourne.

so whats hapening?
Battery relocation
stereo install (inc lots of fabrication)
adding some padding to the seats.

so the first activity is a bit strange. i didn't realise how ghetto it'd look until i started but i think you get the idea. Take 100m builders twine ($4) bag f foam offcuts ($10) and your cars seats.... stuff em!

with that done I removed the parcel shelf and started the build. now there'll be more photos as i go. no point giving it all away now. but I have some base details for you.

RT251D MTX sledgehammer 2ch monoblock aplifier (2 x 125wrms)
2 x DDcX6.5 (i think thats the right name.) Digital designs 6.5" woofers and tweters (splits)
2 x MB Quart Discus crossovers (not the made in china rubbish)

+ whatever the media player i got is called.

so the speakers will have to be installed angled on the parcel shelf to avoid any cutting. amp and crossovers will be in the boot.

heres some starts of the parcel shelf and woofer rings. still have a lot of work to do on the tweeter rings then the angling.

Laying it out

These are 6.5" but look like 10"s in such a small car!

trace twice, cut large then trim.

test fit -

---------- Post added 05-05-14 at 13:01 ----------

test fit was good so i drilled out the seatbelt holes and bolted it into place. I did this so i get an accurate trace of the holes in the shelf and theres no chance of wobble or movement

tighter than a nun's.... oh wait i can't say that

once bolted in pull everything from the boot and do this.

i also got the drill in there with me and half drilled through every single hole. my thinking s i'll get an accurate idea of where and what i can bolt through. rattle is caused by airpockets and anything loose. I'm thinking i can usee extra plastic threaded plugs to hold this down and theres a bajillion holes. its held by 2 standard and 2 seatbelt bolts but theres room for another 3 plugs at front and another 2 at the rear

all of the little mounds you see are sawdust from drilling the holes all the way through. couldn't believe how many there were!

i'll use the 2 5x3' holes. the oes at the back are more round but theres honest to god no room between the window and the shelf for my speakers

I'll essentially create a couple of rings, float them on a few stands built from offcuts then fibreglass it all up. I can slot these black speaker baskets into the finished fibreglss product

testing

2 x large rings 1 x small for each basket.

so yeah. its all happening! i won't let the rabbit out of the hat. I'll show everyone the material and battery in boot ideas as they happen. more fun that way.

thanks for reading Y'all -Mitch
Old 05-05-14, 13:46   #31
VKiller
TO00NZ

Car: '96 Skyline GTST
Trader Rating: (16)
Interesting car. Subscribed.
Old 10-05-14, 18:25   #32
SIroller
CAL.415

underneath the battery tray... not so happy down there!

the battery tray (its been plastic coated but obviously battery acid has leaked its way under the plastic)

woofer and tweeter angles.

seats out carpet up!

this hessian stuff always smells **** and holds tonnes of dust and dirt.

$7 @ bunnings...

lay it out

spraypaint

Wallah!

drivers footwell

passenegr footwell.

theres no rust its just dirt and some hessian stuck to the rubber plugs in the foortells.
Old 19-08-14, 23:11   #33
SIroller
CAL.415

jees been a bit slow with some updates.

Interior is back together and battery is half assed into the boot.

the car's still out and about and the list of **** thats failed increases.

Wiper motor
heater tap
temp gauge

all currently not working :/

so theres still a bit to do. parcel shelf is waiting for warmer weather to fibreglass. glovebox cd player install has flopped as the GB liner i was given is really poor condition.

Summer will bring a oil / water / volts gauge install. and this week i've purchased a new wreck for parts.

I'll be able to nick and modify the air cleaner housing, glovebox liner, blinkers, chrome, all sorts from this bad boy.

parts car purchsed 15 aug

Toyota car club of australia winterfest 17 aug 14

Melbourne Car Meets mini meet 13 (13 aug 14)

new owners manual. printed under license for aus dealers. $40 inc post purchased 7 aug 14, all 600 pages!

TCCAV cars and doughnuts 13 Jun

Visiting MuzzaVL 6 Jun

2 Jun battery relocation done (boot still needs work!)

Now Don't laugh please!

Fresh

original 1973 carpet pressure washed shampooed with the same stuff i use on my dog and reinstalled. the wire there is for the constant power from battery to cd player yet to be installed

Old 21-08-14, 18:51   #34
SIroller
CAL.415

EOI sell swap blah blah blah.

no vt bt1's

http://www.gumtree.com.au/m-my-ad.html?adId=1054820158
Old 02-06-15, 13:38   #35
SIroller
CAL.415

Hey guys.

Very ****ty incident
driving last night and had an accident. rear ended a car in front of me. fine conditions just traffic was going 1 minute dead stopped the next and even though I had heaps of reaction space in front of me it obviously wasnt enough.

Brakes locked up. I tried to steer into the bus lane but I kept skidding forward. I've been running through my head all night thinking I should have let off of the brakes and hoped the tyres re-gripped. But woulda shoulda coulda.

car is sitting in a holding yard atm. very uncertain about what happens next. a couple of repairers i've contacted have said its probably a write off.

anyway heres the pictures. thank god i was insured! And i only increased the insurance value in February aswell! I have salvage rights too so worst case scenario i get the car back and i can either start looking for panels or strip / onsell.

feeling pretty Shi77y. understandably. All of my plans are on hold.

Old 03-06-15, 12:45   #36
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
Trader Rating: (0)
What a shame mate
Hopefully the damage isn't too structural and its just a case of changing panels!
Old 03-06-15, 14:15   #37
SIroller
CAL.415

its at a repairers now. he thinks its borderline write off. due to the high insurance coverage he will need to prep a quote anyway but hes having trouble sourcing parts. He's said the guard and bonnet can be fixed but hed rather find some straighter ones. same with a bumper. beaver should be an easier fix. rad support and grill will need work / plastic welding / bending.

chrome and stuff.... i guess the point is its all repairable but hes asked what i want. I think i say write it off. i have salvage rights so ill be able to pay off my hecs and i might sell it to another rt81 guy or just let it sit on dads farm for a while. its a real shame but its also an opportunity to be out of it financially and move on either to another car or to downsize the collection.

still a shame either way but i'm a bit more calm and collected now that ive had 48 hours to think about it.