User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
JD CUSTOM

Old 14-09-13, 22:21   #26
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
shouldn't need saying but make sure the tanks well aired out before welding

have you tried dry ice for the sealant and dedener? apparently service stations sell it.
Old 15-09-13, 10:37   #27
gold-vlt
Player

Car: fg xr6t daily, 88 vl series 200, 86 vl executive wagon, e46 barra powered
Trader Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller View Post
shouldn't need saying but make sure the tanks well aired out before welding

have you tried dry ice for the sealant and dedener? apparently service stations sell it.
haha. I just cleaned the tank out with a bottle of metholated spirits and then left the tank out in the sun after i emptied it so it could evaporate. then I dropped a rag in front of the internal pump hole and lit it up to get rid of the fumes. worked pretty well. And no it didnt melt the swirl pot as it was just a flash flame.

I don't know how well dry ice would work upside down but it wouldnt have saved much time under the car. Only would have helped in the wheel wells where the deadener is really thick.
gold-vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-13, 19:37   #28
gold-vlt
Player

purchased some new parts recently. Lowe fabrications polished door sill scuff plates and 2 sets of nos gm complete hella tail lights.
Old 27-09-13, 09:13   #29
gold-vlt
Player

---------- Post added 27-09-13 at 09:24 ----------

Cut the windscreen and rear screen out. now ready to sand them back and seal. Not much rust fortunately. I'll be cutting out the cowl panel soon and prepping beneath it for paint before the new rare spares cowl gets welded in. Also have that drip tray rust to tend to at the passenger side drain hole.

Pulled out the filthy fuel tank and cleaned it out.

Now i've got to sand it and welded a pin sized hole That i found at the rear sidewall of the tank on a weld and replace the vapour lines which i'll need to find super small clamps for as the original clips hold like shiit on aftermarket hose or are too small.
Then i'll be replacing the internal return hose to the swirl pot with a new gates submersible fuel hose and installing a new internal fuel pump. Ideas on which pump to use??? After something to support 500 - 700hp.

---------- Post added 27-09-13 at 09:25 ----------

STILL HAVE NO OPTION TO EDIT MY OWN THREAD!!? why is this?

---------- Post added 27-09-13 at 10:54 ----------

I decided to remove the diff and fuel tank the other week so that I could start stripping the rear half of the underbody and prep it for paint.

So far I have chipped off all the old underbody deadener with a chisel and screw driver and gone over the whole underbody with a wire brush.

On my next day off, i'm going to remove any surface rust and old seam sealer with a wire wheel, then sand the whole underbody (most to bare metal). Then i'll wipe it all down and lay down some epoxy primer and satin black 2 pack. Then I can lay on some new sound deadener in the wheel tubs. I kinda want my fuel tank painted at the same time if I can get my **** together and line it up to be ready.

---------- Post added 27-09-13 at 10:55 ----------

Old 09-10-13, 21:54   #30
gold-vlt
Player

I'm thinking of mini tubbing the rear before I paint. Where can I buy some tubs that will fit or have some made up? I can drill and cut out the old ones myself and possibly weld new ones in as well.
Old 30-10-13, 10:04   #31
gold-vlt
Player

Ok the wagon is being sent off next month for rust repairs and to have the engine bay and inner doors sandblasted. Just have to paint the rear half of the underbody and then put the diff back in to get it rolling.

I'll also have to remove the engine so the panel beater can weld the bay before sandblasting which will be a pain in the ass as i have to get the car back into the garage which is located directly above a very steep driveway. so hopefully the tow truck will be able to tilt the tray into the garage so the vl can just roll off into it's spot.

Also bought some more parts recently. ARP headstuds and 15x7 intercepters.
Old 08-11-13, 09:32   #32
gold-vlt
Player

Went and bought all my paint supplies yesterday. Opted for protecs premium range. 7 litres of Porsche arena red pearl metallic basecoat, 3 litres GM mx grey metallic, 4 litres of satin black, few litres of clear, 20 litres of 2k thinners, and some high fill primer, epoxy primer and reducer.

Hoping to have the wagon in paint by the years end. It's getting the rust cut out and the engine bay sandblasted this month so I'll be starting on the body once i get it back home.

---------- Post added 08-11-13 at 09:37 ----------

Cut out the old cowl panel with rust in it. Started cutting rust out of passenger side drip tray. ready to be plated soon. Considering cutting out drain hole panel and making up a custom drain hole. Possibly twin drain into a stainless Y-piece drain pipe or just have one elongated drain hole for even drainage on slopes.

---------- Post added 08-11-13 at 09:51 ----------

Underbody has been sanded since these photo's where taken. Today i'm going to coat the underbody in epoxy primer and seam seal the underbody with some 227 sikaflex. Then next day off I'm going to give it all a light sand and lay down some underbody deadener and 2k satin black. I was considering mini tubbing the rear first, but it seems that will require too much stuffing around with modifying the back seat and brackets. Would have liked to fit some decent rubber and convo pro's under there!

---------- Post added 08-11-13 at 09:54 ----------

---------- Post added 08-11-13 at 09:55 ----------

---------- Post added 08-11-13 at 09:57 ----------

New rims. Will probably fit reconditioned vlt hubcaps or just repaint the rims silver.
Old 20-11-13, 10:17   #33
gold-vlt
Player

The wagon is nearly completely stripped now. all thats lfet to remove is the hoodlining, door trims, glass, door handles and roof racks. Then just got to mask up a few places and send off to get the shell sandblasted and shortly after rust repairs.

Also just purchased a complete rb26dett top end which i'm going to freshen up once it arrives.
Old 20-11-13, 13:16   #34
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Sweet progress! Cant wait to see it painted.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 12:14   #35
gold-vlt
Player

Haven't touched the wagon for a few months. Just purchased a rotisserie for it and i'm currently in the process of making up brackets and getting the car mounted.

There's really not that much work left to do on it now before it's ready to be sent off for sandblasting and rust repairs.

I'm aiming to have the whole body done and the car fully reassembled less the engine and box by august.

Also bought a rb25det neo to drop in until I have cash to finish the big engine for it.
Old 10-07-14, 12:28   #36
gold-vlt
Player

Been way too busy with work to get anything done on this. Getting stuck back into it this week. Anyone in brissy able to give me a hand to modify the rotisserie mounts to fit the wagon?
Old 01-10-14, 14:57   #37
gold-vlt
Player

Small update. Still nowhere near finished but should have the body done and assembled Before christmas if all goes to plan.
Recently I bought a complete, brand new hotside for the 25/30 that I'm building, along a few other little parts that I'll need.

Precision PT6766 turbo with "S" compressor cover, T4 divided 1.00 rear housing. ,6boost 25/26 t4 divided manifold, black turbosmart pro-gate, speedflow turbo and block fittings, spool type 2 rear head oil drain kit

---------- Post added 01-10-14 at 15:03 ----------

Small update. Still nowhere near finished but should have the body done and assembled Before christmas if all goes to plan.
Recently I bought a complete, brand new hotside for the 25/30 that I'm building, along a few other little parts that I'll need.

Precision PT6766 turbo with "S" compressor cover, T4 divided 1.00 rear housing. ,6boost 25/26 t4 divided manifold, black turbosmart pro-gate, speedflow turbo and block fittings, spool type 2 rear head oil drain kit

---------- Post added 01-10-14 at 15:04 ----------

Double posted and no option to edit/delete?
Old 01-10-14, 16:45   #38
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
I'm still looking forward to this!
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 08:59   #39
gold-vlt
Player

Thread from the dead. No pics yet till i cbf posting (maybe in another 3 years). Acquired a shortened 9" housing off a mate to build and using the 28 spline bw 78 internals in my sedan instead. Looking at running it with coilovers and 4 link setup with 275/60 et streets.
Old 15-09-17, 19:12   #40
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
jesus!

is it up and running yet?
Old 25-09-17, 12:54   #41
gold-vlt
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller View Post
jesus!

is it up and running yet?
Haha! noooooooooo. Long way off. Have hardly started on engine yet as it's going to be a full built forged build. I could probably get an rb25det neo up and running fairly easy though as I have a couple of them here that only need assembly and machining. But i only have a r33 5 speed here which needs a clutch so I would rather wait and save for a glide and rb30 build. Besides the combo that I just mentioned is for my series 200.

My only real focus is getting this body and rear end setup sorted.