CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Victoria
Tyres Now

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 04-04-13, 20:36   #1
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Defect info?

A guy I know got a major for "to much suspension travel" and "suspicious wheel size" and got a major.. From what I thought in Victoria you had to get THREE things not rwc to get a major because wouldn't only two mean a minor? But get this, he has walls on his rims but they didn't put that in the defect notice.. Does it seem that the cop wasn't sure what to defect? *mods if put in wrong section please move*
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 21:26   #2
mooe_13
Player
 
mooe_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22-01-09
Location: Melbourne, Western suburbs
Car:
Trader Rating: (4)
A major component like tyres or suspension means automatic major
mooe_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 23:57   #3
WHTGMH
20x11 7" Dish YES!!
 
WHTGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-03-09
Location: Melbourne, Northen suburbs
Trader Rating: (10)
They are the cops they can give you wateva they feel like major or minor
WHTGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 09:39   #4
theh8grip
Player
 
Join Date: 15-10-12
Location:
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Adam peddit aka major defect/epa slapper king
.
theh8grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 13:45   #5
MUS
Couldnt care less
 
MUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: Melbourne, North Side
Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooe_13 View Post
A major component like tyres or suspension means automatic major


Quote:
Originally Posted by WHTGMH View Post
They are the cops they can give you wateva they feel like major or minor
What they said.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 14:03   #6
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHTGMH View Post
They are the cops they can give you wateva they feel like major or minor
thats true i suppose, i seen your car getting defected on youtube on a current affair lol

---------- Post added 05-04-13 at 15:04 ----------

i just thought there would have rules to go by when it comes to major or minor as in they have to follow specific guidelines, its wrong.
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 14:07   #7
PROGMH
Moderator
 
PROGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-10-05
Location: VIC, VIC
Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
There's this term in the law called 'officer's discretion'. It's a great thing.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 14:37   #8
mulkers
Official Member
 
mulkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-03-06
Location: VIC, Tongala
Car: VE SS Sportwagon, VL Berlina Turbo, VL 5.0 Berlina, Slocus work hack
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz-anth View Post
A guy I know got a major for "to much suspension travel" and "suspicious wheel size" and got a major.. From what I thought in Victoria you had to get THREE things not rwc to get a major because wouldn't only two mean a minor? But get this, he has walls on his rims but they didn't put that in the defect notice.. Does it seem that the cop wasn't sure what to defect? *mods if put in wrong section please move*
Three defective items is a myth. Minor/Major is up to the discretion of the guy writing the ticket, as is the need for rwc
__________________
F/S - WTB: Madeira (Red) interior trim pieces
mulkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-13, 21:09   #9
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Learn something new everyday I guess
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 12:09   #10
GM.0870
Player
 
GM.0870's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27-12-12
Location: Melbourne, Chelsea Heights
Car: 1987 Red Over Silver VL Calais Turbo, Series II, Manual & Sunroof [RBWPN]
Trader Rating: (0)
when are people going to learn and live with the fact that Cops can do what they want and thats the end of that.
GM.0870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 14:59   #11
WHTGMH
20x11 7" Dish YES!!
 
WHTGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-03-09
Location: Melbourne, Northen suburbs
Trader Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz-anth View Post
thats true i suppose, i seen your car getting defected on youtube on a current affair lol

---------- Post added 05-04-13 at 15:04 ----------

i just thought there would have rules to go by when it comes to major or minor as in they have to follow specific guidelines, its wrong.
Yeah I copped my fair share of defects lol but that's what you have to expect if you drive a modified car on the street
WHTGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 15:50   #12
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
This thing isn't that modified compared to most though.. Just a few things and yes I know cops can do wat they want but should still have common sence with what is rwc and not rwc with a car to be able to slap a defect on a car
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 16:27   #13
SHIZNT
Red Rocket! Go!
 
SHIZNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: Melbourne, Western Suburbs
Car: MY99 WRX
Trader Rating: (8)
I just got a major defect cleared on Friday.

My defect was for having a front mount intercooler & pod filter (2 intake mods), exhaust and not enough travel in suspension.

My car has coilovers so I took the car to a suspension specialist to have the suspension adjusted within factory specifications.

The method the cops use to measure suspension travel is by pushing down on the car above the suspension and seeing how much movement it has. This is technically wrong as this measures stiffness and not the amount of travel.

The law is your suspension must have 2/3 travel. What this law means is clearance between a suspension component and its associated bump stop is not alterered by more than 1/3.
__________________
Forced Entry Racing
All Competition Cylinder Head Porting, Machining & Flow Testing - 0422 124 745

Last edited by SHIZNT; 07-04-13 at 16:31.
SHIZNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 15:37   #14
VSExe
Player
 
VSExe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-04-12
Location: VIC, Knox Way
Car: Holden VS Executive(Daily); VR Lexcen(13s 4 $1300)
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHTGMH View Post
Yeah I copped my fair share of defects lol but that's what you have to expect if you drive a modified car on the street
Does it cost you much when you get defected? Lets say you take the 19s off for the day, to pass road worthy, and then after the defect is cleared, you chuck the 19s(and everything else) back on and get pulled up again, what happens? like do you cop a bigger punishment or anything?

mint car by the way!
VSExe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 15:42   #15
PROGMH
Moderator
 
PROGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-10-05
Location: VIC, VIC
Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
You cant modify your vehicle from a roadworthy state while the roadworthy certificate is valid.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 19:26   #16
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Never knew that lol

---------- Post added 09-04-13 at 19:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIZNT View Post
I just got a major defect cleared on Friday.

My defect was for having a front mount intercooler & pod filter (2 intake mods), exhaust and not enough travel in suspension.

My car has coilovers so I took the car to a suspension specialist to have the suspension adjusted within factory specifications.

The method the cops use to measure suspension travel is by pushing down on the car above the suspension and seeing how much movement it has. This is technically wrong as this measures stiffness and not the amount of travel.

The law is your suspension must have 2/3 travel. What this law means is clearance between a suspension component and its associated bump stop is not alterered by more than 1/3.
It's just a joke sometimes, do coil overs need an engineers cert? Sounds stupid but apparently you need one as changing the hole strut etc :S did the rwc end up costing u much
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-13, 06:42   #17
SHIZNT
Red Rocket! Go!
 
SHIZNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-06-06
Location: Melbourne, Western Suburbs
Car: MY99 WRX
Trader Rating: (8)
Technically I think they have to be ADR approved coilovers. At the end of the day its at the discretion of the mechanic doing the rwc whither to pass it or not and I havn't had any problems so far.

A rwc will set you back $100-$150.
__________________
Forced Entry Racing
All Competition Cylinder Head Porting, Machining & Flow Testing - 0422 124 745
SHIZNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 11:57   #18
WHTGMH
20x11 7" Dish YES!!
 
WHTGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-03-09
Location: Melbourne, Northen suburbs
Trader Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSExe View Post
Does it cost you much when you get defected? Lets say you take the 19s off for the day, to pass road worthy, and then after the defect is cleared, you chuck the 19s(and everything else) back on and get pulled up again, what happens? like do you cop a bigger punishment or anything?

mint car by the way!
Well every time I got defected I never had to take my 20" rims of because my tyre load rating was 93 above what the car came out with 91, I'm not to sure if the rules have changed but my mechanic use to say my*tyre load rating was above standard so I could run my rims

Technically after clearing a defect that requires a road worthy your not meant to modify your car as the road worthy is valid for 30 days and I'm guessing if you got pulled over by the same cop within those 30 days there would be some questions for the road worthy tester, I've never come across this so not 100% sure what happens

Also when I got defected I received a $299 fine but it depends on the cop if he wants to give you the fine, I always got fined because I have no respect for cops

Last edited by WHTGMH; 13-04-13 at 12:02.
WHTGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 17:50   #19
VSExe
Player
 
VSExe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-04-12
Location: VIC, Knox Way
Car: Holden VS Executive(Daily); VR Lexcen(13s 4 $1300)
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHTGMH View Post
Well every time I got defected I never had to take my 20" rims of because my tyre load rating was 93 above what the car came out with 91, I'm not to sure if the rules have changed but my mechanic use to say my*tyre load rating was above standard so I could run my rims

Technically after clearing a defect that requires a road worthy your not meant to modify your car as the road worthy is valid for 30 days and I'm guessing if you got pulled over by the same cop within those 30 days there would be some questions for the road worthy tester, I've never come across this so not 100% sure what happens

Also when I got defected I received a $299 fine but it depends on the cop if he wants to give you the fine, I always got fined because I have no respect for cops
ahh ok, so that 2" bigger rims size is all bull****... thought so.

Do an update on your vs thread man, im waiting lol!

thanks!

are flappers legal?
VSExe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-13, 19:10   #20
Gouldy
Player
 
Gouldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30-01-12
Location: Melbourne, Werribee
Car: Vl turbo,vt ss ls1
Trader Rating: (1)
Cops=revenue raisers that is all!!
Gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-13, 00:55   #21
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Flappers are legal cops would honestly prefer ppl to have then
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-13, 23:50   #22
VSExe
Player
 
VSExe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-04-12
Location: VIC, Knox Way
Car: Holden VS Executive(Daily); VR Lexcen(13s 4 $1300)
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz-anth View Post
Flappers are legal cops would honestly prefer ppl to have then
Saweet!!! Im tossing and turning between ssv's or vs s2 calais and flappers for my vs exec... Being a daily i think the 16s are more practical, thoughts?
VSExe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-13, 20:42   #23
jmz-anth
Player
 
jmz-anth's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-12
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car: VS BT1 jet,VZ berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Definitely 16"s
jmz-anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13, 16:42   #24
paparazzi
Player
 
paparazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-07-06
Location: Melbourne, Sth Eastern
Car: 97 STI Wagon, landcruiser & [PRORB-6] IN THE BUILD.
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to paparazzi
oi tuna ur cars **** mate
__________________
INTENSEAutomotive 0401 887 616
P R O R B 6 in the build..
paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13, 17:21   #25
GM.0870
Player
 
GM.0870's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27-12-12
Location: Melbourne, Chelsea Heights
Car: 1987 Red Over Silver VL Calais Turbo, Series II, Manual & Sunroof [RBWPN]
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz-anth View Post
Flappers are legal cops would honestly prefer ppl to have then
flappers are gay, does not suit VS-VZ at all!
GM.0870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 15:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger