G-Cylinder

Old 27-10-12, 16:48   #51
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308vl View Post
Question, any one know how to remove the rear head rest pins from the brackets on a series 2? Took the seat out but pins stayed in the brackets.

Tap a socket from underneath to collapse in the wings
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-12, 17:26   #52
308vl
Gold Members

Car: 308 Vl Calais, Commodore SS-V, Ford Cortina
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKVLT View Post
Tap a socket from underneath to collapse in the wings
Thanks for that. Will give it a go
308vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:53   #53
NZER
Walkin What??

How you getting on bro?
NZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 15:45   #54
308vl
Gold Members

Havent lost interest yet. Just slowed down a bit. Had a problem with the front springs. I had to send them back to get the correct ones. So I havent moved to the front of the car yet. In the mean time I stripped out most of the interior.

Floor insulation was stuffed. Good for the rubbish. I found the original build sheet under the insulation, but it was brittle from being wet. I am trying to piece the ripped parts back together. Little bit of surface rust but nothing major.

I started filling and smoothing the rough panel joints around the quarter glass. I might be a bit fussy but it might help prevent rust.

Removed the front seats. Took a **** load of time - I will get a hex bit for a socket for putting them back in. For some reason, the seat runners and frames had started to rust. Will need to clean and paint. I was surprised to find the seat height adjuster still works. It had just seized solid with dirt.

Carpet is rooted. Will have to get new one.

Likely to carry on with the boot (removed a bucket full of excess filler from when it was made - will smooth the joints before painting). Will tidy up the body around the back and look to move to the front of the car.

Last edited by 308vl; 07-11-12 at 15:48.
Old 07-11-12, 17:17   #55
NZ_GTS
Player

Car: '87 VL GTS Cherry Black Mica with RB25DET inside
Lookin good.
Question for ya seeing as you have those rear 1/4 windows out. See the three vertical slots - do these go through into the inside of the car? Are there any holes that go all the way through?
NZ_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 17:27   #56
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_GTS View Post
Lookin good.
Question for ya seeing as you have those rear 1/4 windows out. See the three vertical slots - do these go through into the inside of the car? Are there any holes that go all the way through?
Thanks. The slots dont go to the inside. There is a gap and another skin of metal underneath, which separates the interior. Any water that gets through the slots should run through the gap at the lower back corner. There is a screw hole right at the top which appears to go right through to the interior - this seems to have been sealed from factory. This secures the top corner of the molding.
Old 08-12-12, 16:07   #57
308vl
Gold Members

Slowed down a bit, as number one helper (and part owner) was tied up with exams.

I purchased Walkinshaw bonnet scoop and door mouldings. These need a bit of work but I got them for a good price. Have removed the front fenders - **** load spiders and nests, and bucket full of dirt. There is minor surface rust but nothing serious which was a surprise. A bit of cleaning and painting and they will be like new.

Finally got the rest of the dash out - was a mission and a half. Carefully smashed the **** out the the stereo to remove it. Nothing important broken in the process.

Got some paint to redo all the interior plastic pieces as they were stained and faded.

Attempted to clean the rough sealant from the front windscreen. As soon as I started a crack developed from an edge. (looks like the edge had been chipped when installed). Bugger! more money for a new screen now. At least removing it from the car will be cheap and easy now!

A bit of rust also requires attention.

Does any one know what the hell this thing is?? it is near the glove box opening, looks like you can fit a key?

Im trying to decide what to do with the conditioning. Looks like previous owner had disconnected and stripped a few bits - looks like the most important part (compressor) is missing!. Im am tempted to strip everything out, but it would be nice to have air conditioning. Any advice/ idea of rough cost to get it running would be appreciated.

Last edited by 308vl; 08-06-13 at 20:59.
Old 08-12-12, 16:14   #58
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308vl View Post

Does any one know what the hell this thing is?? it is near the glove box opening, looks like you can fit a key?
[IMG][/IMG]
That is the factory alarm over ride you insert the alarm key and turn it to switch it off
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 16:18   #59
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKVLT View Post
That is the factory alarm over ride you insert the alarm key and turn it to switch it off
Thanks for that mate. Was a bit confused
Old 11-12-12, 02:58   #60
NZER
Walkin What??

Your doing an awesome job there bro!

If it was me I'd be keeping the air con. Might pay to have a search about VL air con compressors.

Not sure if Marty SS nut is running air con in his wagon. If he is, he could possibly help.

I'm runing a later model compressor due to the efi engine and where it mounts on the motor. The 308's ran the compressor on a high mount bracket factory. Drivers side. In saying that you may be able to go with a low mount bracket and run a later model compressor.
Old 11-12-12, 18:34   #61
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER View Post
Your doing an awesome job there bro!

If it was me I'd be keeping the air con. Might pay to have a search about VL air con compressors.

Not sure if Marty SS nut is running air con in his wagon. If he is, he could possibly help.

I'm runing a later model compressor due to the efi engine and where it mounts on the motor. The 308's ran the compressor on a high mount bracket factory. Drivers side. In saying that you may be able to go with a low mount bracket and run a later model compressor.
Cheers. I need to do a bit more homework. Air conditioning on a hot day is an attractive proposition. Getting spoiled in old age!
Old 23-12-12, 16:45   #62
308vl
Gold Members

Back to work again!

Removed the front windscreen, which came out rather easily. Didn't seem to have been fully sealed. A little bit of rust to clean up but nothing major. Thinking of using the VT style seal instead of the VL style seal when it comes time to fit the new screen. Looks a bit better and have heard that it seals better. Any one agree?

Cleaned, rustkilled and primed the floor/fire wall drivers side where the windscreen seems to have leaked. Lucky it was only surface rust.

Also repainted all interior plastic trim. A bit of a bugger but the so called colour match was anything but a match. The colour ended up baby blue/lavender instead!!! Wasted a bit of time and money on the first attempt.

Second colour match was spot on and was well worth the extra $$$. Some of the interior bits after painting.

Uncovered some ****in bad news. While stripping bits out of the engine bay. Found a 253 stamp on the block!!!. Very pissed off . I bought the car on the understanding that it was "definitely 110% a 308". When I first got it I tried to check the engine number just to make sure, but it was not very clear. I went back to the previous owner and was again told that it was a 308 not 253. Not very happy with this, as I seem to think that a 253 is complete waste of time.

Now the good news. I have bought a 308 bored 60 thou with flat top pistons, new bearings and seals. Looks like I will be taking the engine out after all...haha
Old 23-12-12, 19:17   #63
NZ-SXYHDT
Gold Members

Car: VK Wagon, VL Calais Turbo
that blows it was a boat anchor after all, but awesome you got a 308 to throw in now.
progress is looking good.
def go with the VT rubber seal man, youi wont regret it. just take the metal loops out that clip to gutters to stop future rust and glue your hood lining in.
Old 23-12-12, 19:38   #64
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT View Post
that blows it was a boat anchor after all, but awesome you got a 308 to throw in now.
progress is looking good.
def go with the VT rubber seal man, youi wont regret it. just take the metal loops out that clip to gutters to stop future rust and glue your hood lining in.
Ta mate. It was a bit of a bummer, but at least I now have a way foward.
Would not have been the same with a 253, would have had a nagging feeling if I carried on with it. My wifes civic would have been faster!

Last edited by 308vl; 29-12-12 at 15:19.
Old 29-12-12, 15:28   #65
308vl
Gold Members

Started stripping the engine bay. Removed all the airconditioning, power steering and radiator items. Ill look at removing the engine in anticipation of fitting the new one.

Found fair bit of surface rust up the front but nothing too serious.

Ripped out the piece of **** exhaust - it was obviously high tech custom fabrication by looks of it hahaha!!!

Close up of the seamless welds and mandrel bends. Might assemble it together as a work of art.
Old 29-12-12, 15:40   #66
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Keep up the good work,I have never seen a block with 253 stamped on it,My VH SS GP2 was a 253 but the block they used were still 308's just destroked.We do have air in the Sport wagon so it you need pics give me a yell.Also have wiring diagrams for it.

Cheers Marty
Old 29-12-12, 16:45   #67
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut View Post
Keep up the good work,I have never seen a block with 253 stamped on it,My VH SS GP2 was a 253 but the block they used were still 308's just destroked.We do have air in the Sport wagon so it you need pics give me a yell.Also have wiring diagrams for it.

Cheers Marty
Thanks mate. With the air, appreciate the offer. Ill see how I get on and will let you know if I need some info. Cheers. I was a bit confused with the engine capacity partly because the limited engine numbers that I could read suggest that it was high compression 253 out of a hq-hz. The new one will be about a 317 cause it has been bored. Atleast this will definiately be bigger than a 253!
Old 10-01-13, 16:04   #68
308vl
Gold Members

Worked late last night. Managed to pull out the engine and trans. Was quite a mission which wasnt helped by not being able to hire a crane. Managed borrow one from an ex-mechanic (it was a homemade job, but worked a treat)

Started prepping the engine bay - gonna keep it black. Toyed with the idea of changing the colour, but a little bit too much involved.

Also just removed a few redundant brackets. Will look at removing steering rack, struts etc. this weekend. Hopefully will make good progress!

Last edited by 308vl; 10-01-13 at 16:08.
Old 11-01-13, 18:09   #69
NZER
Walkin What??

Paint it body colour bro! You are half way there now. Remove the battery plate and relocate it to the boot. Fill all the unused holes and fill the indent on the drivers side wheel arch. Think I'm going to do it. Evens out the engine bay IMO. You are making good progress.
Old 11-01-13, 18:45   #70
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER View Post
Paint it body colour bro! You are half way there now. Remove the battery plate and relocate it to the boot. Fill all the unused holes and fill the indent on the drivers side wheel arch. Think I'm going to do it. Evens out the engine bay IMO. You are making good progress.
Youre a trouble maker haha. Just kidding. Ive had a nagging feeling that the black engine bay doesnt seem right. Youre probably right - body colour will be a better solution. At least with the engine out its a hell of a lot easier. Not a bad idea regarding the battery, something I hadnt thought of. Probably gonna do it now too! Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated

Last edited by 308vl; 11-01-13 at 18:55.
Old 11-01-13, 23:17   #71
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Engine bay has to be the same colour as the body,Just does not look right otherwise.

Cheers Marty
Old 12-01-13, 10:44   #72
NZ-SXYHDT
Gold Members

Car: VK Wagon, VL Calais Turbo
Most do it with engine in and bay stays original colour when doing a repsrays.
Your motors already out so your a step ahead, do it while you can mate, you will regret it otherwise. Gives that complete look too when you pop bonnet.
Old 12-01-13, 17:15   #73
308vl
Gold Members

You are all right. Thanks for the advice guys, I would have regretted later if it stayed black. Ill paint it body colour ( panorama silver). Ive already started stripping out bits and pieces, and will smooth some parts of the engine bay. I pulled out the front suspension, steering rack, took out battery tray and a few other brackets.

Will probably end up replacing all the front bushes as well - as soon as I can separate a few seized items. More money, but might as well do it properly. Hopefully it wont be too expensive.

Old 13-01-13, 06:51   #74
ss nut
Player

MK 5s Nice car I had one of those when it was just 3 years old.Great old bus.Hard to find a good one now days.

Cheers Marty
Old 13-01-13, 09:07   #75
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut View Post
MK 5s Nice car I had one of those when it was just 3 years old.Great old bus.Hard to find a good one now days.

Cheers Marty
Thanks Marty, glad you appreciate a classic! Bought it and restored it a few years ago, very complete and original. I am still a Holden fan (I also have a Ve SSV). Hopefully the photo wont offend the Holden followers.