User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand
Tyres Now

Old 04-11-12, 19:15   #76
NZMike
Gold Members

Car: VYII SS, VL SL Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
What does everyone think. To keep AirCon or ditch it?

Will have to do quite a bit to get it going again as i found today most of the pipes are twisted and some have been pierced open. I will need a smaller fan for it also.

I just don't know if i can be bothered sorting it out. easier to rip it all out.
NZMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 19:44   #77
NZER
Walkin What??

Bro. I'm all for air con. I'm collecting parts to put it all back in. When you've got kids in the car seats the window won't do. Just IMO.
NZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 15:54   #78
NZ_BT1
VL Turbo BT1

Send a message via MSN to NZ_BT1
get rid of it.....I did.....
Old 05-11-12, 17:49   #79
NZMike
Gold Members

If you are looking for bits ill sell you what i have :-)
Old 06-11-12, 03:41   #80
NZER
Walkin What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZMike View Post
If you are looking for bits ill sell you what i have :-)
Thanks for the offer. I'm waiting on sikvlt to get back to me about his air con. If there is any bits he doesn't have I'll hit you up. Question, are the air con pipes coming out of the firewall alloy?

Air con can help the interior stay dry and not damp and smelly!
Old 06-11-12, 15:35   #81
NZ_BT1
VL Turbo BT1

Send a message via MSN to NZ_BT1
So can keeping it in the garage and not driving it in the rain.....and having all new seals throughout the car LOL
Old 15-10-13, 06:12   #82
NZMike
Gold Members

Just a little update.

Started off with this

Then last weekend I picked it up

And now it is like this

So now i just have to do some finishing touches to this and should be good to go.
Old 15-10-13, 07:03   #83
rusty577
Player

Car: 300+ VL Turbo 5 Speed, Worked 63 EH Special, XJ Jeep
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to rusty577
Looking really good mate. Im in the process of doing all this right now. Even the same colour.
Old 15-10-13, 10:29   #84
hsvhel
gtr in progress

Car: LC GTR Torana
Send a message via MSN to hsvhel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER View Post
Thanks for the offer. I'm waiting on sikvlt to get back to me about his air con. If there is any bits he doesn't have I'll hit you up. Question, are the air con pipes coming out of the firewall alloy?

Air con can help the interior stay dry and not damp and smelly!
Dont hold your breath on that, i've been waiting months for a part.....
Old 15-10-13, 19:13   #85
NZER
Walkin What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvhel View Post
Dont hold your breath on that, i've been waiting months for a part.....
That was a old post! I got the mintest air con parts from him. Never had a problem with him. If it's a flux capacitor you waiting on, I know you won't be in luck. He said he used his last one to power up the milk shed.
Hit him up man.

---------- Post added 15-10-13 at 22:14 ----------

Engine bay is looking good champ.
Old 14-05-14, 17:05   #86
NZMike
Gold Members

Hi all, thought i would update you guys a bit.

I last left off with the engine bay finally getting painted up.

Things slowed down quite a bit more as i shifted house, but it meant that i finally have a garage where I live that that car can be stored in :-D. Has been at my parents place the whole time i have owned it :-P.

When we finally got settled into our new place managed to get a car trailer and transported her to her new home. Garage looks pretty tidy in this shot, just goes down hill from there lol.

I Spent a lot of time just tidying up parts of the engine and gearbox. Scrubbing and painting as much as i could. Alternator and powersteering pump all freshly reconditioned too.

I also decided after a lot of internal debating that i would dye my enter dash black and try to go for a black and red theme over the whole car. I got the idea because I really like the blacked out interior of my VY SS. My Main concern was that all the vls that i have seen that have had there dash "Painted" black looks like utter ****, flaking paint or uneven coats with spray lines. I Tested out the vinyl dye on a spare dash piece that i had spare and it turned out perfect. So i decided to take the risk.

It all worked perfectly.
The next step was to try my hand at basic upholstery. Note the custom Turbo badge that i got 3d printed to be the same size as the normal calais badge.

I also made myself up a hand brake and gear stick boot using the same fabric.

While i was still living at my old place i managed to get some old recaros really cheap. Since my vl seats were really sad i thought why not put them in. Down side to them are the ugly head rests. I'm on the look out for some lower profile ones. Saw some at the time i bought the seats but missed out on them and haven't found any since.
My Uncle adapted the factory rails to suit the new seats. I might look into a better way of doing them again down the track.

My partner randomly decided to buy me all new carpet for the vl one day so we order the full set with underlay.

And this is what the interior looks like now. Very happy. I just need to sort out the door cards, rear seat and the hood lining.

The Next step before i could get the engine back in to the car was i needed to buy a new clutch. Thanks to the Turbo flywheel being different to the na i had a bit of a **** time getting a clutch for a reasonable price. People would quote me a nice price, i go to pick up, confirm with them that it is for the turbo model and then they get confused and try to convince me that there is no difference.....
I ended up getting my parents to bring an HD Clutch back with them from Aus when they went on there yearly cruise.

Probably not the best clutch but still be better than a lot of shops were offering me around here.

Then i bolted up the clutch and gearbox and just left it for the next sunny day. (Roof in garage is too low to do indoors).

An it is in

After a visit to one of the many yellow turbos around here i managed to figure out all the engine wiring and should be all sweet.
Had issues with the fuel pump not going, that turned out to be a relay.
Had an issue with the front drivers indicator and the drivers high beams and found after pulling half the dash apart that it was just the connector at the headlights was a bit corroded, so just cleaned it up and all is good.

My next issue which has now held me up is my radiator. I didn't think to check my old radiator till the engine was in the car but the whole thing is buggered just full of crap and leaks in a few places. Few of the plates have been welded up from previous hack fixes so the whole thing needed to be re-cored.
If i recall correctly it was going to cost me $600 to get it fixed up. so i decided to look for a new one. I saw a few months back that Fenix sold them for $300 so i got in contact with them and they said they still had some that they could sell for that price.That's where the waiting game started.
After i payed for it they realized they didn't have any in stock so they ordered one from Australia for me. That didn't bother me at all as i wasn't in an immediate rush for it. But now my radiator is stuck in nz customs with no word about whats going on. The guys at Fenix are just as annoyed as i am. So no one knows when it will be cleared. It arrived in Auckland on the 4th of may and been there ever since.

Other new bits i have got are new head lights and tail lights from Aus.

Compare new and old

One pain in the ass thing i have found is the hose from the rocker cover to the intake manifold. I would have just used my old one but somewhere down the track it is the only pipe i lost.
No where stocked it and to order it in it would be $60. Couldn't find any wrecks with one. I found that an old late 80's berina or something had a hose with the right diameters but was just 3 times too long, so i got that and cut it to size. Fit perfectly. Then about a week after it was fitted i noticed the whole thing had sliced open. Getting pretty pissed off at that point i decided to just order me one for $60. Took about a day for it to arrive and this is what i got.

Army Green. Pretty over that little hose :-P.

So really all i need now is to get my radiator and should be able to drive it away. Only taken me just over a year and a half to get my **** sorted.
Old 14-05-14, 17:37   #87
VL-Dan
Player

Car: VL Berlina Sedan, VL Berlina Wagon, VL GTS...
She's looking pretty good man, you gonna stick with no Intercooler?

Regarding the breather hose on the rocker cover...they are still available from Nissan, I purchased 2 of them about a year ago

From memory they were only around 30 or 40 bucks each trade price. They fit perfectly, are the right colour and best part are a Genuine Nissan item
VL-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-14, 18:15   #88
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Looking good,But go for the aircon.Yes to confirm they are alloy thru the firewall.And at the moment my TX valve has packed up.So in the process of repairing that.

Cheers Marty
Old 14-05-14, 19:45   #89
NZMike
Gold Members

No intercooler.... for now. I have one ready to put onto it. Bought it ages ago. I do really like the factory cross over pipe. But my one has been hacked up to have a bov attached. So im really torn, Ugly bov or ugly intercooler piping. Too hard to come across a non rooted cross over. Ill keep an eye out when i go to aus in August.

Ah damn it, i didn't even think to try nissan for that hose. Oh well too late now. We have a few options for making that hose black, So should be ok.

Air Con parts are long gone. even the heater switch in the dash has been gutted and replaced with non air con circuitry, Old air con board was rooted, barely any contact surface left. But the actual face of the unit was perfect so just got the guts out of a spare that i had.

Im not overly worried about air con, every vl i have owned so far hasn't had air con. Plus the car will never be taken out in the rain and usually will have its windows down in the garage to air it out.

Last edited by NZMike; 14-05-14 at 19:50.
Old 08-06-14, 20:35   #90
NZMike
Gold Members

After a lot of time spend trying to get timing correct and sorting out afm problems i finally got it running right.
Took it for a short drive down the road and back, maybe 400m max. Things seemed ok, didn't push it very hard at all.
Afterwards i checked the dipstick and there is a milky residue up the stick, oil still looks fine, and also on the under side of the oil cap. This could just be condensation since the engine has been sitting for awhile without being fired up and the oil level didn't really change. But my next issue makes me think it is worse.
I went to check if there was any bubbles appearing in the radiator and found the the coolant was insanely pressurised, i also noticed that the coolant was starting to leak out of the top radiator hose. I left the car over 30 mins and it still had massive pressure. Ended up opening the cap anyway, coolant wasn't hot but exploded everywhere. Which really makes me think head, block or head gasket is gone... I haven't done any more tests on the engine as i'm worried it will just cause more damage.
My mechanic friend said i should try just tighening up the head bolts some more. which i guess might work if the gasket is only slightly broken but i would rather it be done right.

So i guess my question to you all will be, What is the easiest way of getting the head gasket replaced?
  • Should i leave the intake and exhaust on the head when i remove it?
  • Leave the exhaust manifold and turbo in the bay? Not sure if ill be able to get to the exhaust manifold bolts while it is in the bay.
  • Any way that i could get away with not removing the crank pully?, I don't have a puller to get it off.
Also i have heard people say that you can reuse head bolts on the rb30s. Is this true or not worth the risK?

Would be so much easier if the engine was still out of the car :-S. Oh well.

Last edited by NZMike; 08-06-14 at 20:38. Reason: Added head bolt question
Old 13-06-14, 16:59   #91
tubular2
Gold Members

Car: 87 berlina
hi just reading your post and i wanted to say i had the same problem of massive pressure in cooling system when i brought an alloy radiator with a 1:1 cap.
it was gurgling and spluttering and ended up splitting on side of header tank. so i got original recored and am using original cap and has been fine since then. done about 1000km

BUT i had no milky substance in oil or under cap.

hope its not to serious !!!!
Old 13-06-14, 17:19   #92
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZMike View Post
After a lot of time spend trying to get timing correct and sorting out afm problems i finally got it running right.
Took it for a short drive down the road and back, maybe 400m max. Things seemed ok, didn't push it very hard at all.
Afterwards i checked the dipstick and there is a milky residue up the stick, oil still looks fine, and also on the under side of the oil cap. This could just be condensation since the engine has been sitting for awhile without being fired up and the oil level didn't really change. But my next issue makes me think it is worse.
I went to check if there was any bubbles appearing in the radiator and found the the coolant was insanely pressurised, i also noticed that the coolant was starting to leak out of the top radiator hose. I left the car over 30 mins and it still had massive pressure. Ended up opening the cap anyway, coolant wasn't hot but exploded everywhere. Which really makes me think head, block or head gasket is gone... I haven't done any more tests on the engine as i'm worried it will just cause more damage.
My mechanic friend said i should try just tighening up the head bolts some more. which i guess might work if the gasket is only slightly broken but i would rather it be done right.

So i guess my question to you all will be, What is the easiest way of getting the head gasket replaced?
  • Should i leave the intake and exhaust on the head when i remove it?
  • Leave the exhaust manifold and turbo in the bay? Not sure if ill be able to get to the exhaust manifold bolts while it is in the bay.
  • Any way that i could get away with not removing the crank pully?, I don't have a puller to get it off.
Also i have heard people say that you can reuse head bolts on the rb30s. Is this true or not worth the risK?

Would be so much easier if the engine was still out of the car :-S. Oh well.
I would say condensation,Do some tests for a suspect gasket.do you have the correct radiator cap??

Cheers Marty
Old 13-06-14, 23:11   #93
NZMike
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut View Post
I would say condensation,Do some tests for a suspect gasket.do you have the correct radiator cap??

Cheers Marty
I did a compression test on it yesterday and it came back with 135psi on 2 cylinders and 130 on 4. It was a cold test but still a good enough result. So im not going to pull the head off just yet.

I had a look at the new radiator cap that came with my new radiator, but there isn't any markings about the pressure of the cap. The cap is a different size to my old radiators one so can't swap them to test.

I've also decided to get my turbo looked at this weekend. When i drove it last weekend it had a quite noticeable whine to it. wasn't like induction noise. was making it when i was just slowly accelerating. Sounded like this but louder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMY1cudJv_E

So if or once my turbo gets the all clear then ill chuck it back on and then try out a different radiator cap.
Old 03-07-14, 23:46   #94
NZMike
Gold Members

I had the day off last tuesday, so i managed to get the last few things ticked off to take it for another test drive with the reconditioned turbo. Driving lightly it seemed pretty good; But when it was on boost the car seemed to run out of puff, like it was leaning out. I checked my coolant hoses and it seems that they are a good pressure now. still got the same radiator cap. so don't know why that's all right now.
Tonight I replaced the fuel filter and gave it another test drive. Much better now. Doesn't feel like its leaning out.

It still doesn't feel as if i has all its power though. Wasn't overly impressed with the acceleration. Here is a crappy video i made of the drive tonight: Video Link

What do you guys think? seem normal or slow?
Old 06-07-14, 20:04   #95
NZMike
Gold Members

Failed wof today. for not having a cert for the turbo......
Old 06-07-14, 20:24   #96
12maneym
Gold Members

Car: lw5 berlina turbo wagon A9Y wagon turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to 12maneym
Don't need one I thought they came out turbo?
Old 06-07-14, 22:12   #97
NZMike
Gold Members

Indeed, i don't need one. Tried to argue the point but they just straight refused. They calmed that there was no proof that it was a factory turbo. i guess build tags aren't enough any more.
Old 07-07-14, 15:13   #98
VL-Dan
Player

To be fair the build tags don't actually state it's Factory Turbo.....although we know what "LW5" means, they wouldn't have a clue.

One way to prove it, is from your ownership papers (or just look it up on carjam) which will have your engine number. Provided your car still has it's original engine the number's will match and that should do it...

Another way would be to take Aaron with you, he would convince them lol
Old 12-07-14, 11:38   #99
NZ VL com
Player

Car: vl calais, vl royale 195kw non turbo
and my supercharger has passed 4 times in a row at the place i go to, bit of a raw deal there
Old 13-07-14, 14:24   #100
VL-Dan
Player

Hmmmm, just looked up your rego on carjam...When it came to NZ in May 1996, it was registered with an A6 engine? May have had an engine swap before it came across the ditch

Might have to take Aaron with you then lol