CalaisTurbo New Tags END Ignore Digital Niche Code -->
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
Tyres Now

Old 17-12-10, 20:23   #1
Matt.
Player

Car: 1988 VL Vacationer 5 spd Sedan, 1984 Toyota Corona (JDM Styled Stance Build).
Trader Rating: (1)
How to install your VL rooflining.

Over the past few month's, I've noticed several people asking 'how to install roof lining?' or 'who can I get to install my rooflining?' etc etc.
I did it myself and it really isn't all that hard, I couldn't find a thread already explaining this so I decided to do a write-up just to help people out.

Firstly if you have courtesy lights to put in, install the loom first.

1. Remove your old roof lining, easiest way is to just rip it out.
If you want it kept good though, its basically exactly the same as installing.. Just in reverse, obviously.

2. There's several steel rods that hold the lining to the roof, insert the first one closest to the
front windscreen so that its held up by something to make 'part 3' easier.

3. Along the front of the lining (the part that surrounds the front windscreen) is a small plastic 'lip',
running your fingers around the edge of the windscreen you'll feel a gap where this lip fits into.
Start at the top, where the rearview mirror goes, and begin pressing the lip into the gap,
all the way around until you've done it completely (You will need the dash speaker covers off for this).

4. Put the clips in that hold your sunvisors in place, just as something extra to keep the lining up
because the lip may pull out as you're doing part 5.

5. Insert the second steel rod into the roof and start pressing the coloured rubber's that run around the door frame on,
do the section closest to the front of the car first and work your way back. As you get to where the loose hanging lining is,
start tucking it around the frame and press the rubber over it to hold it in place
(This is quite a tedious job, as you go chances are you won't get it right the first time,
it may pull the lip out at the front or pull the rubber off lower down where you've already done)
its pretty much the hardest part.

6. Once you've tucked the lining under the rubbers surrounding both front door frames,
put the rest of the rods in and do the same thing for the back ones, the back ones are a bit easier but it may take some time to get it all lined up and centered.
Thats just a matter of taking the front rubbers off again a little bit, pulling the back one's tight and putting the front rubbers back on.

7. Bolt in your seat belts and put the plastic covers on at the bottom of the pillars,
if your car is a project and already in pieces, chances are you have the rear screen already out, when putting it back in,
you just have to pull the roof lining tight under the back rubbers.
If you don't plan on pulling your rear screen out (I didn't) the way I did it is in part 8.

8. So your rear screen isn't out? Best way is to do what I did, get an industrial strength adhesive
(Maybe $15 for a tin depends what brand/size/where from etc.)
Using a paint brush put some on the underside of your lining (side that you won't see) and put some on the under side of the roof where it will be touching,
let it tack dry (Or go by instuctions on the tin) and pull it tight, press it up and smooth it out.

9. Put your quarter window plastics back on, reinstall your sunvisors, mirror, grab handles etc. And your done.

Allow up to 30/40 mins for installation, if all goes smoothly and given you have a helping hand,
it should really only take between 10 and 20.

Hope this helps guys.
Old 07-04-12, 14:36   #2
MUS
Couldnt care less

Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Cheers mate very helpful.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 21:03   #3
vlct2010
Player

Car: HDT LE replica Vlct 5 spd, 01 lancer glxi 5spd
to remove a calais roof linning would it b th same i have heard u may need to remove rear windscreen is this true??
Old 06-05-13, 02:26   #4
MUS
Couldnt care less

Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlct2010 View Post
to remove a calais roof linning would it b th same i have heard u may need to remove rear windscreen is this true??
I just popped out the top bit of the rear window. Pretty sure you have to do it to all VLs when removing the roofline.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-13, 22:02   #5
Matt.
Player

Car: 1988 VL Vacationer 5 spd Sedan, 1984 Toyota Corona (JDM Styled Stance Build).
Yeah with all VL's (I assume VB-VK are the same) you're really meant to remove the
rear 'screen when installing the rooflining. Although as I mentioned above a way around
this (I guess depending how fussy you are), is to just pull it tight and glue it up using an
industrial strength adhesive (I did mine this way). If you take your time and get it right,
you won't be able to tell the difference.
Old 13-07-13, 20:23   #6
Antho
Certified Wise

Car: 2 x VL Calais Turbo, VL Berlina Turbo, 2 x Ford Explorer V8, Subaru Forester GT, BMW 325i M Sport
Trader Rating: (74)
You should be able to tuck the excess in by working the rear screen seal a little bit at a time
Antho is offline   Reply With Quote