User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Victoria
GRUNT Performance

Old 29-07-10, 16:56   #26
PR03LT
Game Over

Car: Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
after these so called hoon cars a crushed, it will cause alot more problems and road toll will go up. because then they will be buying cheaper cars which will be a lot more unsafe on the roads. example hoon has his r33 skyline the he spent his life savings on crushed. Then buys a gemini, chops the springs, welds the diff up connects some diesel squirters and before you know it his skating down your street for only $1000

Last edited by PR03LT; 29-07-10 at 20:08.
PR03LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 17:00   #27
fullsick
I'll get you my pretty!

Car: One lonely little 5 spd Calais.
Trader Rating: (10)
Use your car responsibly and you wont have any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not Safe For Work? But you dont work :D
fullsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 17:07   #28
patch
[ZUTUTU]

Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to patch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR03LT View Post
after these so called hoon cars a chrushed, it will cause alot more problems and road toll will go up. because then they will be buying cheaper cars which will be a lot more unsafe on the roads. example hoon has his r33 skyline the he spent his life savings on chrushed. Then buys a gemini, chops the springs, welds the diff up connects some diesel squirters and before you know it his skating down your street for only $1000
+1

if my car was ever crushed:

a.) i wouldnt be stopping when i saw the flashing lights

b.) next car id be buying would be a clapper with cheap and nasty mods done to it.

The government is out to make money rather than stop "hoons"

the saying ".prevention is better than cure" is so true in this instance.

Educate rather than fining, but government doesnt wanna spend their dollars, and it's easier to make dollars handing out defects and petty traffic fines, then after 3 "strikes" take your car
patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 17:11   #29
vltrb-0
The Regulars

Car: ke57, a ke70 with an ls1 and a turbo
Trader Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsick View Post
Use your car responsibly and you wont have any issues.
yeh the problem is there is a fine line between responsibly and being arse ****ed cause you can be

how can someone doing donuts all over the road be compared to someone who chirps a wheel taking off at the lights?

it comes under the same law

there is a difference between having a little bit of fun in an industrial area and speeding at 150km/hr through a school zone when they define that i will take a chill pill and shut up
vltrb-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 17:14   #30
PROGMH

Car:
So if the government educate everyone and do driving courses what's going to be the new excuse for 'hooning' ?
It's definately what is needed but it won't ever stop people doing burnouts or racing etc.

If you get caught three times within three years then you are clearly pretty stupid and deserve to get your $1000 peice of crap crushed.

The guy who had his VT crushed the other day hasn't had the car or his licensed for a year now. He says 'Im not a hoon anymore. Ive learnt my lesson.' I'm sure the police will see him soon enough.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 17:19   #31
vltrb-0
The Regulars

other thing i heard as a loop hole to this is that if the car has finance it cannot be crushed, i am unsure if this means it can't also be sold
Old 29-07-10, 17:24   #32
PROGMH

Car:
If it's under finance it's sold and the money is paid back to the finance company. You're not allowed to buy your car back. Any profits go to TAC victims / road trauma victims.
If the car is worth lots it will be sold. If it has a certain safety rating it will be sold.

In other cases it will be crushed. It's just a news worthy front page vote grabber.
Old 29-07-10, 17:40   #33
hemi_val
Player

Car: valiant regal
Trader Rating: (0)
in my opinion the media who are basically controlled by the government anyway have done a very good job of convincing the majority of the general public into thinking that people doing burnouts in industrial areas at 2am actually affects them so that through the use of fear they have support for an excuse to raise big amounts of revenue. they even came up with a term for it, 4 -5 years ago the word "hoon" had nothing to do with cars. why don't drink drivers get the same punishment? because doctors, lawyers, political figures and other mature aged people with disposable income, power and awareness of their democratic rights might do that. so instead they have screened through everyone and found a target group that mainly consists of young people who cant afford lawyers and who no one will stand up for because tracy grimshaw told them they're a hoon and they're bad.

statistically burnouts aren't even a piss in the ocean on the road toll, speeding excessively is dangerous, i'm not denying that and this stunt they're pulling to win votes by crushing peoples pride and joy is going to encourage some serious speeding as has been mentioned when people decide they're not handing their car over without a fight.

i'm not gonna sit here and say burnouts are completely safe but the punishments are way too strict in comparison to other more dangerous traffic offenses and if it they actually thought it was as unsafe as they make it out to be the government would be pushing for safe legal outlets for it to take place, but then they wouldn't be getting as much of this easy money.
hemi_val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 17:58   #34
UND_CVR
Player

Car: toyrolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi_val View Post
in my opinion the media who are basically controlled by the government anyway have done a very good job of convincing the majority of the general public into thinking that people doing burnouts in industrial areas at 2am actually affects them so that through the use of fear they have support for an excuse to raise big amounts of revenue. they even came up with a term for it, 4 -5 years ago the word "hoon" had nothing to do with cars. why don't drink drivers get the same punishment? because doctors, lawyers, political figures and other mature aged people with disposable income, power and awareness of their democratic rights might do that. so instead they have screened through everyone and found a target group that mainly consists of young people who cant afford lawyers and who no one will stand up for because tracy grimshaw told them they're a hoon and they're bad.

statistically burnouts aren't even a piss in the ocean on the road toll, speeding excessively is dangerous, i'm not denying that and this stunt they're pulling to win votes by crushing peoples pride and joy is going to encourage some serious speeding as has been mentioned when people decide they're not handing their car over without a fight.

i'm not gonna sit here and say burnouts are completely safe but the punishments are way too strict in comparison to other more dangerous traffic offenses and if it they actually thought it was as unsafe as they make it out to be the government would be pushing for safe legal outlets for it to take place, but then they wouldn't be getting as much of this easy money.
we have a winner ladies and gentleman
absolutely spot on
UND_CVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 18:44   #35
GMH-383
Player

Car: Bus
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi_val View Post

awesome writeup!!!

---------- Post added 29-07-10 at 18:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROGMH View Post
So if the government educate everyone and do driving courses what's going to be the new excuse for 'hooning' ?
It's definately what is needed but it won't ever stop people doing burnouts or racing etc.

If you get caught three times within three years then you are clearly pretty stupid and deserve to get your $1000 peice of crap crushed.

The guy who had his VT crushed the other day hasn't had the car or his licensed for a year now. He says 'Im not a hoon anymore. Ive learnt my lesson.' I'm sure the police will see him soon enough.
If the government educated people and built proper facilities for car events there would be much less hooning because people would have somewhere to take their cars to do burnouts/drags etc., crushing cars definitely is not needed as it can cause people to do even worse things like trying to outrun cops in a high speed chase because they don't want their car crushed, but then again define "HOONING" these days even cruising nicely on a Friday night on the hwy is considered hooning these days...
GMH-383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 19:16   #36
PROGMH

Car:
Define hooning? It's described on the vicroads website and also the police website.
It explains exactly what constituted a hoon offence.

Calder is open every fortnight and various tracks have drift / drive events on.

It comes down to your attitude when you drive, if you do burnouts and get caught then these are the laws that you will face...

I think people are getting confused in regards to driver education. I can't see how driver education and car control is going to stop people doing skids and racing... the thing it will do is give drivers more training in how to handle a car and could possibly save lives with safer driving and better action once you lose control.
Old 29-07-10, 19:35   #37
GMH-383
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROGMH View Post
Define hooning? It's described on the vicroads website and also the police website.
It explains exactly what constituted a hoon offence.

Calder is open every fortnight and various tracks have drift / drive events on.

It comes down to your attitude when you drive, if you do burnouts and get caught then these are the laws that you will face...

I think people are getting confused in regards to driver education. I can't see how driver education and car control is going to stop people doing skids and racing... the thing it will do is give drivers more training in how to handle a car and could possibly save lives with safer driving and better action once you lose control.
yeah what im trying to say is even if you have the right attitude towards driving as long as you have a nice/modded car you are going to get pulled over defected/fined for the smallest of reasons, I've had my car for over 3.5 years now it has never even seen one burnout the tire's still got them little nipples on them but as soon as i take it out on the hwy i get pulled over everything checked and that's the reason my car's been sitting in my garage for the last 2 years it has not been further then the 10 min drive around my street once a week to keep everything running well... I do agree there needs to be something done about those serious "hoons" that do the really dangerous/dumb things but car crushing is not the way to go about it as it will just make things worse.
Old 29-07-10, 19:45   #38
milad
VLT SOLD, FOREVER HAPPY

Car: 88 SL VLT- SOLD
Trader Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL-FLY View Post
honestly man if my car was gonna get crushed i would NOT be stopping
x2!!
milad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 19:53   #39
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (27)
if you got to the stage where you stood to lose your car perm wouldn't anyone with 1/2 a brain wake up and rethink the way they drove on the road

if they didn't, and particularly if they were cowards and ran, then they deserve all the fines and trouble

www.Facebook.com/cpv.com.au
"Real cars, real history"
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 20:06   #40
PR03LT
Game Over

Car: Calais Turbo
Why dont the police lead by example and crush this hoons car???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-oa3KNxrv0

Last edited by PR03LT; 29-07-10 at 20:08.
PR03LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 21:00   #41
r_jackson
Player

Car: VL SII Calais 5lt
Send a message via MSN to r_jackson
dont be a ****wit on the road an you wont have anthing toworry about ?... thats the wa i see it
Old 29-07-10, 22:34   #42
darkstar
Silver Bullet

Car: 5spd Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (21)
Send a message via ICQ to darkstar
People that support this are missing the fundamental flaw here. A 'hoon' act is not clear cut law defining act that can be summed up as doing a burnout for x amount or meters etc. It is an interpretation of driving style and the police have the power to identify that you were hooning, when you perhaps not, and you will have to fight it in court to remove the strikes or you will risk getting your car crushed.

Chirping 2nd, if you had a shift kit = hoon act and they can impound your car.
Losing traction over an oily road in the wet when turning an intersection by mistake = hoon act.

Tight LSD chirping around a slow tight corner driving normally = hoon act

Overtaking could also be classified as a hoon act depending on the car, style of overtake and location of where you did the overtake.

The point here is that it is not a certified clear cut that a set of specific actions that are scientifically measurable are a hoon act. It is all based on interpretation (sans the speeding and smoke/burnouts). The cops can really abuse this law and start impounding more cars and getting them crushed for very minor, subjective 'hoon' offenses that were not hooning at all.

The majority of speeding and accidents involving serious injury or death are related to Alcohol + Speed and not hooning. I do not see cops petitioning to crush cars of serial alcohol abusers that drink and drive.
Old 29-07-10, 23:33   #43
FORZA
The Regulars

Car: quadriple turbo rajab/bresciani built wheelie bin
Trader Rating: (10)
all you indiviuals making comments like "dont hoon and you dont have to worry about it" pull your heads in

if we are going to be using this line of thinking maybe we should put the 12 year old who steals a mars bar from the milk bar in jail for 25 years, i mean if they dont steal then they wont have to worry about it right?

this is about setting up bullsh1t punishments that do not fit the crime, what has Australia come to when someones property (and pride and joy for most of us) can be stolen and destroyed for doing burnouts? i am still yet to see any hard evidence where a single person has been killed from a burnout. furthermore... how the fcuk can the same punishment be handed down to someone cutting some hoops in a deserted industrial zone as someone who blows .257 and is doing 150km/h in a school zone which is what chris was saying on the first page, wheres the consistancy?

like i said, anyone who supports this law and actually thinks its going to make a difference maybe you should take a look at the Victorian road toll. the police are bragging that they are "winning the fight against hoons". if they are winning this imaginary fight the media has forged against the evil hoons then why is the road toll climbing?

i could go on all night but i dont really see the point, these threads pop up every few months meh

ps if anyone tried to take my car away from me to crush it id rather wrap it around a pole and thats no bullsh1t
FORZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-10, 23:40   #44
vltrb-0
The Regulars

another comment

you chirp your wheels you loose your car for x times period

my old man has 20k worth of material stolen from a shipment of copper and the cops aren't even slightly interested and tell him to contact his insurance company

my trailor gets stolen from my property and the slack **** pig doesn't even fill out the paper work properly so he doesn't have to chase it up

i drive down a road to get fuel and a cop does a u-turn to do a 'random license check' and make sure my car isn't 'stolen' and i end up getting a major defect

anyone who agrees with these laws is the type of person who sits at home on a friday night because they have nothing better to do
Old 29-07-10, 23:40   #45
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: VS exec forged LS3 + S482
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
darkstar your pretty much on the money here - the law is open to interpretation by individual officers - and thats dangerous, its dangerous because they aren't perfect and they do make mistakes.

I personally think cars are only crushed for the IMPACT emotion of seeing your car which you are supposed to be attached to. The blokes that re-offend like this arent car enthusiasts and loosing the car probably isnt an overly big deal.

As for running from the Police I think if one death is recorded and found to have come from this law - then Mr Lay will probably be hung out to dry - its a dangerous gamble they are playing, and for what... they can record a rego number and go back and find the car later.

I think likening the car to a tool that inflicts injury and therefore should be crushed or sold is wrong. What about people that get killed on farm accidents we dont crush tractors, and if someone gets maimed by an accident in a house we dont take away their house and sell it or burn it?
Old 30-07-10, 00:34   #46
GMH-383
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
People that support this are missing the fundamental flaw here. A 'hoon' act is not clear cut law defining act that can be summed up as doing a burnout for x amount or meters etc. It is an interpretation of driving style and the police have the power to identify that you were hooning, when you perhaps not, and you will have to fight it in court to remove the strikes or you will risk getting your car crushed.

Chirping 2nd, if you had a shift kit = hoon act and they can impound your car.
Losing traction over an oily road in the wet when turning an intersection by mistake = hoon act.

Tight LSD chirping around a slow tight corner driving normally = hoon act

Overtaking could also be classified as a hoon act depending on the car, style of overtake and location of where you did the overtake.

The point here is that it is not a certified clear cut that a set of specific actions that are scientifically measurable are a hoon act. It is all based on interpretation (sans the speeding and smoke/burnouts). The cops can really abuse this law and start impounding more cars and getting them crushed for very minor, subjective 'hoon' offenses that were not hooning at all.

The majority of speeding and accidents involving serious injury or death are related to Alcohol + Speed and not hooning. I do not see cops petitioning to crush cars of serial alcohol abusers that drink and drive.
wow exactly what i was going to write up you can lose your car for the smallest of reasons due to these laws... even if you are not at fault like the tight lsd and shift kit comments you just mentioned do it 3 times and they can crush your car just because you have a tight lsd or a shift kit, spot on.
Old 30-07-10, 10:10   #47
Agent86
Player

Car:
To further Darkstarts point,

Hooning as understood by the police, is any form of driving that can be in any way shape or form, as performance orientated..

Now, this seems understandable until you learn that excessive braking is in there too..
As is not slowing down for corners deemed to require a slower speed..

This kneejerk BS is far too loosley written, to be properly defensable too..
No law should be left to a matter of opinion, as this leaves it wide open for abuse.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 14:31   #48
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
I love reading this, it shows how the main offences are speeding and burnouts, NOT a minor accidental chirp as some seem so worried about.
The guy from Epping takes the cake, really most people on here have nothing to worry about, calm down you'll all be o.k.

Quote:
Victoria Police has impounded 130 vehicles involved in hoon offences, since the legislation was introduced on 1 July this year.

Of these, 80 vehicles (62%) were being driven by probationary drivers at the time of the offence. All drivers were male.

Victoria Police has also detected a recidivist offender. The 20-year-old probationary-licensed Seabrook man’s first offence occurred on 22 July when he was detected performing a burnout in another person’s car in Altona. The car was subsequently impounded.

On 12 August, the same man was detected in Werribee after he was observed allegedly travelling at 130 Km/h in a 60 zone and ‘fishtailing’ down the road over a distance of about 70 metres.

The man is expected to be charged on summons and police may make an application upon conviction for his car to be impounded for a further period of up to three months.

Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby said some drivers lacked maturity and common sense.

“There have been a number of offences detected by police which demonstrate to us that some drivers have a complete disregard for the safety of others and for the law,” he said.

“Many of these drivers simply lack maturity and common sense.”

Police have also detected the following:

• On Tuesday 15 August an 18-year-old suspended probationary driver from Epping allegedly performed a six-metre burnout in the Victoria Police impoundment warehouse when retrieving his car, which had been impounded for a separate hoon offence performed by a friend. The vehicle will now be impounded for a second time. The owner will be summonsed to court, expected to face charges of improper use of a motor vehicle and driving whilst suspended.

• Two drivers had their vehicles impounded together on 4 August, when detected allegedly racing against each other along Dandenong Road. Police detected a car allegedly performing a burnout at an intersection and then race against a motorcyclist, reaching speeds of 140kph in the 70kph zone. Both were seized on the spot and drivers will be summonsed to court.

• A 38-year-old motorist allegedly performed a 30-metre burnout along Chapel Street, South Yarra only metres from a police road-block, involving three police officers wearing reflective vests. As the car came to a stop, Stonnington Traffic Management Unit members were able to walk over to the driver and seize the vehicle on the spot.

• Another motorcyclist was intercepted by police after being detected at 140kph along Queens Way, Windsor (70 zone), with a pillion passenger.

Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby said all offences relevant to the hoon legislation are extremely dangerous.

“Most drivers have been detected excessively speeding and police are pleased with the ability to swiftly remove these drivers from Victorian roads,” he said.

The following speeds have been detected and vehicles have subsequently been impounded:

• 142kph in 60 zone in Knox – 19-year-old probationary driver
• 180kph in 100 zone in Caroline Springs – 22-year-old driver
• 140kph in 60 zone in Keilor Downs – 21-year-old probationary driver
• 160kph in 80 zone in Melton – 27-year-old driver
• 150kph in 70 zone in Frankston – 22-year-old driver

www.Facebook.com/cpv.com.au
"Real cars, real history"
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-10, 14:43   #49
vltrb-0
The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880 View Post
I love reading this, it shows how the main offences are speeding and burnouts, NOT a minor accidental chirp as some seem so worried about.
The guy from Epping takes the cake, really most people on here have nothing to worry about, calm down you'll all be o.k.
how fcukin old are those stats? 130 cars yeh maybe in one ****ing weekend, the revenue this BS law brings in is insane

half of those infringements have been worded to portray dangerous driving, you weren't there i wasn't there so we don't know the full story

minority targetted and arse raped for all they're worth, mission accomplished

Hoon laws

Release date: Tue 29 July 2008

Last updated: Wed 30 July 2008
Hoons_main

Police have impounded an average of 10 cars a day since hoon laws were introduced by the State Government in June 2006.

Hoon related offences include burnouts, doughnuts, drag racing, repeated driving while disqualified and high-level speeding. Offences are detailed in section 84C of the Road Safety Act 1986.

First time offenders can have their vehicle impounded or immobilised for 48 hours. Second time offenders risk having their vehicle impounded for three months and third time offenders may lose their vehicle forever.

Hoon Hotline

If there is some fast hoon…in your neighbourhood…who you going to call...? Hoon Hotline.

You can ‘dob in a hoon’ by phoning the Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000. Information collected through the hotline enables Victoria Police to gather intelligence to target repeat hoon offenders or focus on particular areas.

Hoon statistics
Types of offences committed
Offence

Number (per cent)

Careless driving

3 per cent

Conduct, engage in race, speed trial

0.9 per cent

Court order, past offence

0.5 per cent

Drive while disqualified

5 per cent

Excessive speed

39.3 per cent

Failure to have proper control

O.7 per cent

Improper use of motor vehicle

48.4 per cent

Speed or drive in a dangerous manner

1.3 per cent

Smoke or undue noise

0.3 per cent

Where hoons live – top 10 suburbs
Suburb

Number of hoons

Greater Bendigo

Greater Geelong

Narre Warren

Dandenong

Melton

Frankston

Greater Ballarat

Shepparton

Hoppers Crossing

Mildura

*Statistics are from July 2006 to July 2008.

so on average 10 people a day lol say $1500 base revenue raised per offence, not a bad little income, 'improper use of motor vehicle' ask weezy about that one complete and utter BS

Last edited by vltrb-0; 30-07-10 at 14:47.
Old 30-07-10, 14:46   #50
BRODWN
Player

Car: VL Turbo Wagon
I would run, hopefully get away....car to mates house running gear out and shell back to my driveway for them to pick up and crush to their hearts content.