Old 07-07-10, 09:48   #26
RB2GO
NO SHOW

Car: VLT, VT
Trader Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toine_8 View Post
dont want it to turn into a money pit
Good luck man ha ha, don't mean to be negative wish you all the best but you've already taken the first step, you have a money pit
RB2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 09:58   #27
RUF-30L
Injected With a Poise

Car: VLT berlina
Trader Rating: (2)
dude dont go getting the motor rebuilt.... if you have good history on the car and the engine bay looks nice and clean you know the people that had the car before u treated it good.... like the boys said dont beef it untill it blows... i have a turbo vl and just bought another vl and switching the kit on the new one... go get a turbo kit for 1000 including ecu injectors manifold turbs, and all the rest and slap it on...get a cooler to and your set even a dual stage 10pound and 15max itll be find for 10 pound... sure you got some mechanical minded friends that could help you out maybe throw em some cash or something...once you boost it comes addictive... DUDE 120kms are u serrrious fkkk the rebuild..... im all about the money..... 1000for kit 500 install 1500 33(gearbox or mx) installed and your laughin if u dont have cash for gearbox *** it for now then...if you wanna rebuilt start thinking of chasing 300-400kw for 200fkk that bro wouldn't give the mechanics the pride of taking my cash lol

Last edited by RUF-30L; 07-07-10 at 10:02.
RUF-30L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 10:02   #28
Fresh_VL
Player

Car: VL Calais Turbo "10VLT", XR6T MK2
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Fresh_VL
i got sick of reading and theres more than enough threads on this topic

just do it yaself, we did a conversion on the side of the road in under an hour leaving the standard injectors and ecu and adding an old malpassi laying around, never skipped a beat untill it blew a head gasket, i ran a diff car (fresh built motor) on 14psi on an mf5 and again it never blew up, only swapped the box when i blew that engine up

acl forged pistons = in the bin
hi comp on na injectors and ecu = still running

if your trying to do it on the cheap start with a turbo, then injectors and computer, then cooler, then add boost, once ur box really starts slipping or u lose a gear then replace it, you'll be very surprised with what you can get away with if it's tuned right and running well

best of luck
Fresh_VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 10:03   #29
CSL-FLY
Gold Members

Car: Subaru WRX
Trader Rating: (14)
LOL money pits man you will spend so much money on it it's ridiculous.. ive owned like 5 vl's in the past 2 years and i have spent over 30k on them and Ive only recently turned 18 one month ago.... All my friends have been going out for the past couple of years every weekend but i spent the majority of my money on cars.. each to their own mate
CSL-FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 10:13   #30
RUF-30L
Injected With a Poise

^^^to true fken up to 4 cars in my name gotta get rid of 2 soonish
Old 07-07-10, 11:20   #31
toine_8
Official Member

Car: VLT Exec 88 Manual *stolen*
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2GO View Post
Good luck man ha ha, don't mean to be negative wish you all the best but you've already taken the first step, you have a money pit
mmmm i hope not,,, maybe the $20k WRX i want is a better option....

Thanks to no one, trust no one
toine_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 11:25   #32
CSL-FLY
Gold Members

Car: Subaru WRX
Trader Rating: (14)
regardless if your a car enthusiast or not they cost money.. but IMO VL's are the biggest trap... but i love em anyway
CSL-FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 11:30   #33
toine_8
Official Member

hey stevenVL, thanks for that info, and i think i will do it this way, as i have a feeling this mechanic will charge me like 3000 just to rebuild my motor

i would rather spend the money on the gbox anyway.
You mention mechanic mates, unfortunately i dont have ANY mechanic mates
hence why im asking you knowledgeable people

i would love to have a go myself, hey maybe i should - im sure there are some doco's on the site, hopefully with pictures included

im going to check this VL tonight, for the whole trubo conversion kit, inc cooler, and all so i think thats a good start - may hold out on the box for a bit longer

appreciate everyone's honesty too

Old 07-07-10, 12:45   #34
VLTF-18
Player

Car: R32 GTR Highway Monster
Trader Rating: (5)
i can Vouch for the mechanic
SHZNIT is recomending.
"Forced Entry Racing"
Top work and a great price.
Also as he said you wouldnt need to touch the head.
Make sure you have a good fuel pump and injectors to keep up with the boost your going to screw into it and you shouldnt have to worry about your bottem end and if u can an aftermarket ECU than 200kw should be right at your doorstep.a mate of mine was running a T4 on 15psi with a bosh 043 PUMP(Unsure of price) i think from memory and GTR injectors(300-400$) on standard bottem end and nothing went wrong with it.those lil extras could help u alot in the long run

Last edited by VLTF-18; 07-07-10 at 12:48.
VLTF-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 13:01   #35
RUF-30L
Injected With a Poise

nwss man im in same boat lol i wish i could have a go at installing need tools... never tried hopefully oneday ... there is a guide in the technical section i was looking at it before...

i wish i had my t4 and manifold off i would have sold it to you ahhwell goodluck...
Old 07-07-10, 13:13   #36
nomad
Gold Members

Car: 99 Calais; 02 Calais
Trader Rating: (37)
Bresciani Racing always good for conversions

But seriously... You won't see 200rwkw with standard fuel system...
Go to a smaller "workshop" and you probably won't pay as much, or you could do it yourself?
You only need to really upgrade front brakes if you're doing brakes... I put slotted front VT rotors on mine and it stopped on a dime!
If you've got an N.A box, don't expect it to last out a dyno tune lol

I had a Microtech, 818b wade cam, 700cc injectors, 044 pump, 2.5in piping, 600x300x70 cooler, 3.5in dump into 3in exhaust and made 200rwkw on 9psi (T3) but that was on an A8 (so not a high comp motor)

Last edited by nomad; 07-07-10 at 13:15.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 13:18   #37
tshaw44
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to tshaw44 Send a message via MSN to tshaw44 Send a message via Skype™ to tshaw44
just do it your self man its not that hard all i did was buy the turbo conversion for 1000 put the exhuast manifold on including turbo etc, i put the injectors on and you plug in the computer and take it to the mechanic to do your timing and tune it and your lines all up costed me 1500
tshaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 13:37   #38
Bax

Car: Pushbike
Trader Rating: (41)
Do it yourself, I did it back in the day, really wasn't that hard to change manifolds and injectors. Didn't open anything up, didn't need too and I had 160 thousand on mine.

Held up fine. Had to retard the timing a bit though.

Invest in a cooler.

Don't f*ck around with gearboxes yet, the MF5 won't hold up? Bull****. I had a dead mf5 behind mine for a year with no dramas. Clutch slipped a few times to be expected - but if you treat it nicely it'll be fine until you get the r33 box.

Do your brakes, I don't care how good you think you can downshift to slow down, you're adding power, you're increasing momentum, vl n/a brakes are terrible as they are, when you're coming up to an intersection after booting it, you're not going to be able to downshift to stop yourself going into the back of a truck. vlt calipers are the same except for cooling fins I believe - slotted discs and some good pads are cheap. VT conversions are cheap.

Disc rears are cheap. Do it.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 13:38   #39
toine_8
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaw44 View Post
just do it your self man its not that hard all i did was buy the turbo conversion for 1000 put the exhuast manifold on including turbo etc, i put the injectors on and you plug in the computer and take it to the mechanic to do your timing and tune it and your lines all up costed me 1500
god you make it sound easy... is it this simple?

Old 07-07-10, 14:17   #40
RUF-30L
Injected With a Poise

common boys use all live in victoria im sure this guy is willing to drive even 3 hours out of his way to get it done lol.... not even one person lol u needa come to syd toine
Old 07-07-10, 14:19   #41
Bax

Basically, yes.

The hardest bit is making sure all your turbo's oil and water lines aren't bent or split, lining getting them attached into the block. Then you have to tap a line for a coolant return (or feed) can't remember.

I spent a fair bit in misc parts at the time, but yes. It's that easy.

Don't know what the mechanic tunes exactly though. I just wound my timing back because it was pinging without the intercooler even though it was 98ron fuel.
Old 08-07-10, 11:55   #42
toine_8
Official Member

Ok so after speaking with my mechanic and seeing the turbo parts im looking at buying, and reading all your suggestions, i think for now what im going to do is bolt on the turbo parts to my NA motor (my mechanic will inspect it to make sure nothing damaged) and invest in a GKTech cooler and possibly a better fuel pump (recommendations welcomed)

Oh and also i need a clutch (recommendations again please)
i think this will be fine with my motor and gearbox and allow me to push about 10psi to start

Thoughts?

Old 08-07-10, 12:15   #43
Bax

Settle for 6psi to start.

As for clutches, I've always gone with Exeddy Heavy dutys. But- having said that, if you're going to upgrade to the r33 box I wouldn't really fuss about clutches yet either. It'll hold the power for a while, if it starts slipping replace it then.

BRAKES.
Old 08-07-10, 12:37   #44
gemi76
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
just wondering,were would be the best place to get theys turbo kits from,ebay, or here? and a ruff price??
gemi76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 13:02   #45
toine_8
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Settle for 6psi to start.

As for clutches, I've always gone with Exeddy Heavy dutys. But- having said that, if you're going to upgrade to the r33 box I wouldn't really fuss about clutches yet either. It'll hold the power for a while, if it starts slipping replace it then.

BRAKES.
so u think my clutch will be ok?
not fussed about brakes for now (i know its important, but id rather spend now on things i have to have in order for it to drive)
i was under the impression with a NA clutch it would constantly slip
any idea on a price for an excedy HD clutch?

Old 08-07-10, 14:57   #46
Bax

I think the clutch will be fine for a while. If you plan on dumping it and driving like a maniac it'll slip. It just depends how you want to treat it really.

Exedy clutch will probably be about 350ish, plus 50-100 bucks for a friend or a mechanic to do a cashy.
Old 08-07-10, 15:20   #47
nomad
Gold Members

Car: 99 Calais; 02 Calais
Trader Rating: (37)
Brakes you can pick up 2nd hand (VT slotted for about $300ish) and new they are around $700...

Do ya brakes seriously... Like Bax says
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 15:29   #48
toine_8
Official Member

ok will maybe leave clutch for now, i dont boot off the line anyway, and i guess thats where most of clutch use goes right? i like to push it out a bit in 2nd and 3rd though

thanks again guys - cant wait to get this show on the road

Old 13-07-10, 21:47   #49
toine_8
Official Member

Ok Well i went to see Anthony at Forced Entry Racing, and had a good chat about what i want to achieve and what parts im bringing for him to assemble
I have sourced from a guy on these forums a full bolt on turbo setup inc all banko bolts, lines, manifolds everything needed.
After speaking with Anthony, he is going to skim the cylinder head, put a cometic gasket, a new cam shaft and also fit the gktech cooler i just purchased also

I will be running all standard turbo injectors, ecu and turbo, with this cooler and my manual box, i hope to get near 200rwkw with this set up, but understand i may need to invest in a 044 fuel pump and microtec ecu down the track and definately a gbox and clutch if i dont quite get to 200rwkw

It will be great for now, but i think im already getting the bug, looking at microtech, plenums etc

The build will happen in the next month so very excited

thank you all for your help and suggestions, much appreicated and ill have to come on the next melb cruise

Ant

Last edited by toine_8; 13-07-10 at 21:56.
Old 25-07-10, 23:31   #50
GMVL8U
Player

Car: vl berlina turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
go addicted performance mate 1800 converted plus put a 3mm metal head gasket and cam would cost extra 800 and ull be pulling 200-2010rwkw i done it der best place mate and dw about rebuilding anything for now and ur trans will last u a while till its lets out i got a a6 motor wit 3mm meatl headgasket and cam running a t3t4 and i am pulling 210 wit na box and diff and engine

---------- Post added 25-07-10 at 23:33 ----------

but if u allready converted it then dats aight i thought i would just let u know wat i done and wat i have pulled out
GMVL8U is offline   Reply With Quote