CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Engines, Turbos, Exhausts, Intercoolers
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 15-06-10, 11:51   #1
VLC-57L
Player

Car: BA XR6 Ute & VL Calais Turbo (new project)
Trader Rating: (2)
Forward Facing Plenum using Standard ECU

Hi guys, in regards to using a forward facing plenum (for shorter and much neater cooler piping) but maintaining the use of the Standard Turbo ECU.

Has anyone done this? I have looked through as many threads as I could, and searched like crazy. I see most who use the Rajab, JD Custom plenums etc use an aftermarket ECU (mainly because they are trying to achieve much bigger horsepower anyway, which makes perfect sense)

I understand all the factory sensors must remain (i'm no dummy when it comes to this). But I am currently building a nice Standard Calais Turbo. I have spent many hours relocating the fuse/relay wiring inside, replacing the standard washer/over flow bottles, all to neaten up the engine bay. I want to run shorter cooler piping and would like a decent looking forward facing plenum, not a cut shut N/A plenum job.

I have just heard people saying the flow to the further away pistons is real bad. Plugs foul etc etc. Is it really that bad? and will it effect the standard ECU tuning much? In my mind, once on boost, the plenum is under pressure anyway, but maybe it idles rough. Any one tried this?

I can get a plenum made up quite easy, I have a relative who does cast alloy fabricating, and all sorts of metal work. I just didn't want to have it all done, and find out the car runs like a dog.

After market ECU is not an option. Not interested, I am only planning to run say 10-12 PSI max. Just a nice cruiser, with a neat (aftermarket looking) engine bay.

Any information or past attempts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added 15-06-10 at 14:47 ----------

Wow no suggestions at all?
VLC-57L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 17:57   #2
BT130T
Player

Car: VL TURBO BT1 PROJECT AND A VLBT DAILY
Trader Rating: (54)
i have reciently done this used a custom plenum with standard computer and trust me its well worth it not only are the cooler pipes shorter and it looks better but it pulls much harder and the pedal is so much lighter and more responsive.
Old 15-06-10, 18:28   #3
SRBMUU
Official Member

Car:
Trader Rating: (6)
as long as you keep your sensors at the back of the plenum it can be done ive just done it couple of days ago it isnt hard you just gota figure out what parts you need and what parts you dont
SRBMUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 18:57   #4
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

Car: 05 VZ HSV Clubsport R8 daily / VL calais turbo manual / 05 CRF450R
Trader Rating: (3)
Why don't you buy one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VL-TURBO-PLEN...item3ca6549464
HTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 18:59   #5
vanstrien
Player

Car: 30.RIP 9.45 @ 145, UNS781 BF F6 616rwhp
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBMUU View Post
as long as you keep your sensors at the back of the plenum it can be done ive just done it couple of days ago it isnt hard you just gota figure out what parts you need and what parts you dont
care to tell us which ones u need and which ones you dont?
Old 15-06-10, 19:08   #6
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

Car: 05 VZ HSV Clubsport R8 daily / VL calais turbo manual / 05 CRF450R
If your planing on such a small boost levels. A standard RB30ET plenum has been proving time & time again. But if your after smaller piping length chat to CPC.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=46459
HTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 19:19   #7
Vl_Calais
Gold Members

Car: 04' VY HSV R8 & 88' Calais Turbo [VLTGMH]
Send a message via MSN to Vl_Calais
Plenum

Hey all, anyone had any experiences with those eBay Plenums?

They look like a decect product that's well priced; always been a little sus with buying stuff off eBay though.

Thoughts???
Old 15-06-10, 20:35   #8
SRBMUU
Official Member

Car:
Trader Rating: (6)
ill try get photos up this w.e to show u what is needed. car is a drift hack so i ****ed off all the emissions gear and a couple other things
SRBMUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 20:58   #9
hatto.69
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
i have a cpc plenum and standard ecu im just wondering what you did with the sensors that were attached to the standard plenum chamber?
hatto.69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 21:40   #10
Nackerz
Mechanic at Holden/Nissan

Car: Vl Turbo, VN SS, VY SV8
Trader Rating: (8)
plenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vl_Calais View Post
Hey all, anyone had any experiences with those eBay Plenums?

They look like a decect product that's well priced; always been a little sus with buying stuff off eBay though.

Thoughts???
Hey mate

I got one of those plenums from bugzy and it took me like 3 months before i got it, and not too mention all the hidden costs i got stung with too.

Heres a pic of what it looks like with an xf throttle body

Old 15-06-10, 22:04   #11
Vl_Calais
Gold Members

Car: 04' VY HSV R8 & 88' Calais Turbo [VLTGMH]
Send a message via MSN to Vl_Calais
Hidden cost....Tell us more bud! Save us all from getting stung!
Old 15-06-10, 22:17   #12
VLC-57L
Player

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I have seen those ones on ebay and yeah he does do a version that allows you to bolt the IAAC valve in it's original spot. I know all the vacuum lines that are needed to be kept and the ones you can pi$$ off. The water line's don't need to be there also (that was just a typical factory thing to help heat everything up and run smooth from cold)

What my main concern was, does it run just as good and if not better? and also is anyone finding starvation in the 5th and 6th pistons? (the ones now furthest away).

According to BT130T and SRBMUU, I got my answer that it does run fine with a standard ECU and if anything much more responsive due to less cooler piping (less lag) but have you guys notice that 5th and 6th pistons run richer at all? I have just heard some people say they do, others say they don't.

In my mind, the runners are all so close that once your on boost, they will all have the same amount of flow anyway (especially on low boost applications) The expensive Tuned Length plenums serve their purpose for race and higher boost applications, as port lengths do become a major factor for the flow under so much boost.

---------- Post added 15-06-10 at 22:21 ----------

Thanks for posting those pics Nackerz. That plenum looks a lot better bolted up on your engine, then it does in the pics on ebay.

Forward Facing plenums are such a nicer neat way of tidying up the engine bay. I'm not going for a performance factor here, just a neater layout and using less piping.

More inputs on this topic are still welcome.
Old 15-06-10, 22:21   #13
boosted_wagon
loves to drink Alcohol

Car: factory vl berlina turbo wagon new 2 tone paint, ford territory titanium
Trader Rating: (48)
Send a message via MSN to boosted_wagon
If u run fwd facing plenum and use an xf tb or similar u don't need to run the standard crap on the back of the factory plenum. It's main purpose is for idol control which is adjusted with the xf tb anyway. I've done this on the last 3 setups and Alondra with a massive Wade cam hi mount t66 wasn't a problem at all
boosted_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 22:50   #14
Nackerz

if i had of known that i wouldnt of got the valve on the back left there, but ohwell!

just eaten tea then will post up what it cost me
Old 15-06-10, 23:00   #15
VLC-57L
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted_wagon View Post
If u run fwd facing plenum and use an xf tb or similar u don't need to run the standard crap on the back of the factory plenum. It's main purpose is for idol control which is adjusted with the xf tb anyway. I've done this on the last 3 setups and Alondra with a massive Wade cam hi mount t66 wasn't a problem at all
Are you just leaving the wiring that normally plugs into that valve and having no signs of effects at all? I can't say I have ever had my engine running and un plugged that to find out lol. I can't run my engine at the moment (still in the process of relocating my fuse wiring, and setting up a new fuse block)

Nackerz - I still think you've done the right thing by having it bolted on the back there. Better to be safe than sorry (when it comes to using the factory ECU and sensors)

Boosted_Wagon - you do make a good point there, it is only a solenoid that adjusts idle control, but I wasn't even going to even use the XF Throttle body, which means I should still run mine. Though like you said you've done this 3 times before, thanks for the info Greatly appreciated.
Old 15-06-10, 23:05   #16
Nackerz

I paid $589 for the plenum all up

$450 plenum
$34 postage
$35 to suit XF throttle body
$35 for bracket
$35 to leave the iac valve on the back

Then on top i paid $170 for the semi poleshed XF Throttle Body

So all up I paid $759

vlc-57l

I have a nistune in my na ecu
Old 16-06-10, 08:23   #17
ISL33P
VLT Berlina 26/30 T56

Car:
Trader Rating: (42)
Send a message via MSN to ISL33P
honestly, you dont need the IACV. BT130T has one of my old style plenums at the moment.

NA turbo conversion and NA computer with IACV plugged in and prior to the instal of the aftermarket ECU, had no problems with the idle. The easiest thing to do it simple adjust the idle through the throttle body.

If you are just after shorter piping the throttle body on the front of the standard plenum is the easiest and cheapest way by far.

Hatto - I have replied to your pm
ISL33P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 09:03   #18
madrx3boy
Gold Members

this is probably a stupid question, but what do I do with all the standard sensors/valves on on the factory plenum once i get an aftermarket ecu?

I plan on getting the plenum modified to front-facing, and using a KA24 throttle body, with and aftermarket ECU (Link G4), do I need to keep any of the sensors/valves in the plenum, or do I only need vaccuum lines (eg to my brake booster/fuel reg/wastegate etc)?

cheers
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 13:06   #19
VLC-57L
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrx3boy View Post
this is probably a stupid question, but what do I do with all the standard sensors/valves on on the factory plenum once i get an aftermarket ecu?

I plan on getting the plenum modified to front-facing, and using a KA24 throttle body, with and aftermarket ECU (Link G4), do I need to keep any of the sensors/valves in the plenum, or do I only need vaccuum lines (eg to my brake booster/fuel reg/wastegate etc)?

cheers
Spot on there mate. Those sensors only talk to the factory ECU. So if you are going aftermarket big bonus for you. All you will need is the vacuum lines for Brake Booster, Fuel Reg, Wastegate a Boost gauge etc etc.
Old 16-06-10, 17:28   #20
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLC-57L View Post
Spot on there mate. Those sensors only talk to the factory ECU. So if you are going aftermarket big bonus for you. All you will need is the vacuum lines for Brake Booster, Fuel Reg, Wastegate a Boost gauge etc etc.
sweet
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-10, 19:06   #21
hatto.69
Player

Car:
cheers mate
hatto.69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-10, 13:55   #22
vanstrien
Player

Thanks guys, ive got a one a mate made for me for free ill put it on now before Powercruise yyaaayyyy
Old 20-06-10, 20:04   #23
nato84
Player

Car: vt calais gen 3, vl calais project
[QUOTE=Nackerz;2509087]I paid $589 for the plenum all up

$450 plenum
$34 postage
$35 to suit XF throttle body
$35 for bracket
$35 to leave the iac valve on the back

Hey mate just wondering with the xf throttle body on the manifold does it fit under the bonnet ok it looks a bit high.?
nato84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-10, 21:44   #24
vanstrien
Player

So what trans/manual was everyone running when they ran the standard ecu without the IACV ect not on the new forward facing plenum they put on?

just curious before i do this myself.
Old 30-06-10, 23:49   #25
Felany
Single cam for life

Send a message via MSN to Felany
I was running a JD custom plenum with a standard ecu. I used that iac( one thats normaly at front of stock inlet manifold), and put one side of it to a port on plenum and the other side to the cooler pipes. Without that it wouldnt start very well. Didn't have any of that aac or anything on the back of plenum, car was manual by the way.