User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Western Australia
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 04-06-10, 16:56   #26
Unseen
Player

Car: Morpheus SSV 465rwhp 720nm
Trader Rating: (2)
Hey man if u supply the bottom end and rb25 head applied automotives will charge around 7 to 8k that is a 500+rwhp motor give them a call they are realy helpfull and know their ****
Old 04-06-10, 17:56   #27
Xibit0r
phwoarrrrr

Trader Rating: (14)
So they charge 7k-8k to bolt a head on a block and put it in a car?

I'm guessing this includes rebuilding the block to?
Xibit0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 18:12   #28
dan89
Player

Car: rb25det black vlct .. 91 hilux 2.8D on 33 muddies aka BUMBLEBEE
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to dan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseen View Post
Hey man if u supply the bottom end and rb25 head applied automotives will charge around 7 to 8k that is a 500+rwhp motor give them a call they are realy helpfull and know their ****
then u gota spend another 5k on decent turbo setup!
Old 04-06-10, 19:01   #29
genki
10.84 @ 126mph

Car: Toyota JZX100 Chaser, Toyota Camry daily rocketship
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseen View Post
AND if you're like me...pay them a deposit and still no motor (about half of what they originally quoted...and they still havent even given me a quote/receipt yet for all the parts which i requested about 6months ago!)

ANGRY

having said this, not having a dig at AA, but they're "always busy" so keep that in mind.
if you're in a rush to get a motor pumped out, it might not happen as soon as you'd like. i'm in no rush so it isn't too much of an issue, but still is - basically just tell them straight off the bat "I want the engine done by this date etc" and it should be okay. I never really gave them a 'due date' so that's probably why they haven't made mine a priority

from memory, 7-8k build was quite general and included, "just" forged pistons, some forged rods, n1 oil pump (yuk), no aftermarket/large sump. pretty sure the price was only for the block, not my head which needed some machining and reconditioning - and yes they said around the 700bhp mark.

Last edited by genki; 04-06-10 at 19:12.
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 19:34   #30
JC
Resident V junkie

Car: 1996 JZX100 Toyota Chaser
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via ICQ to JC
See, the scary thing is with a lot of these motors is that you can make all these nice figures with them opened up and swapping cranks, rods and pistons (for the most part, there are always exceptions to the rule)..

Yet you go and look at a motor like a 2JZ for example, and I'm sure there are people who've put them into VL's (I think there was one for sale on the site a while back) and they can make some pretty impressive numbers as well.

I think most of it comes down to personal preference for the most part, and you have to decide where you want to go with your project.

Deadlines to workshops usually translate to more cost, unless it's a generous timeline (2 - 3 months, give or take)

Anyhow, would be nice to see a good hybrid on the road too
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 23:59   #31
Xibit0r
phwoarrrrr

alex you are too toyo biased
Old 05-06-10, 10:02   #32
JC
Resident V junkie

Car: 1996 JZX100 Toyota Chaser
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via ICQ to JC
And?

Still a valid point.. 25/26 is still able to make good numbers without being opened and all the other stuff, purely because the engineering was good at the time. Toyota's the same, so are a number of other select motors from other car manufacturers.

Sure, replacing components to make it more reliable are a good option, but if you're wanting to make a decent figure (say, 350 - 400 rwhp), most of the RB range can make that with a few bolt ons and a good tune.

As for people like Genki where they're going for a larger figure for power, they're having to open the motor up, port it and so on, so it can make the power.

I guess the bottom line is:

Pick what you want to get your end goal to be.
Pick what your budget is to achieve the end goal.
Pick your timeframe you want it achieved in.

Then buy your start point appropriately.

That all being said, I'm sure everyone knows those things and how important they are in making a good car for a decent amount. But hey, the other side being that if you want to start running around modifying an RB30, which is now a minimum on 26 years old, expect it to be problematic.

Does that satisfy Dan, or are you still up for posting mostly pointless one line posts that don't progress anything and making yourself still look like a troll?
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 10:16   #33
Xibit0r
phwoarrrrr

Now now Alex... you just speak of 2j/1j like they are un breakable and a better option.

Rb come in a VL, lots of $$ saved right there to do the basic porting mods to keep up with a toyo powertrain without having head stud and head gasket issues.

I have nothing against toyo engines, just not the smarest financial option for a VL, big coin to keep reliable to.
Old 08-06-10, 12:56   #34
burgo88
Gold Members

Car: vlt (BOOOSTN), VE GTS, RB26DETT GU Patrol
Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to burgo88
Buy a Gen 3 and bolt a t51r on it =) wat i shoulda done from the start...
Old 08-06-10, 13:31   #35
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgo88 View Post
Buy a Gen 3 and bolt a t51r on it =) wat i shoulda done from the start...
15-20K would do that...