Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > V8 Discussion
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 30-03-10, 18:06   #1
tab
EVENT OFFICIAL

Car: black vl calais fuel injected with 8 pistons
Trader Rating: (3)
Wiring instruction for a injected 5 litre conversion

Since everyone keeps asking, i have made up a list for the wiring from the vn - vs injected 5 litre loom.if you are doing a conversion in your vl or commordore

i have done a injected 5litre conversion on my calais (originally carby v8) and done all the wiring myself. I`m am running a trimatic. But wiring is same if you run the turbo transmission. It takes a good 2 - 4 hours to do and not hard to do yourself,
just gota have some auto elec knowlodge.

If you have any question about it just send me a pm.
You will need 2 relays (4 pin) , one is a fuel pump relay and the other is a efi relay.
On a realy there are 4 pins which have nubers next to the pins, the numbers are: 85(switch power), 86(negative earth), 87(power supply direct from battery), 30(wire to item that will receive power)

black plug on the efi loom in engine bay (near battery):

Red wire:

Positive(+) power supply for injectors when ignition is switched on. Need to connect this red wire to relay pin 30 (this will be the efi relay) via a 30amp fuse (before connection to pin 30 on relay).
Connect pin 85 on relay from a ignition on power supply ( a wire that will give positive power when ignition is switched on only) , connect pin 86 on relay to earth, and connect pin 87 on relay to direct battery positive (+) power.
So relay should click on and off when ignition is turned on and off.

Violet(purple) wire:

Positive(+) power supply for fuel pump (via oil pressure switch) when ignition is switched on. Need to connect this violet wire to relay pin 30 (this will be the fuel pump relay) via a 30amp fuse (before connection to pin 30 on relay)
also you will need to connect a wire from your fuel pump (+) with this violet wire to relay pin 30 (so two wires go on the same pin on relay) as this will give power to the oil pressure switch and fuel pump when the ignition is switched on
(the computer is designed to only run the fuel pumps when there is oil pressure as a precaution and thats why the violet wire runs through the oil pressure switch) .
Connect pin 85 on relay from green with white trace wire on the black pulg( this wire that will give positive power when ignition is switched on only via the computer for one second and then cuts out until you start the engine and there is oil pressure)
, connect pin 86 on relay to earth, and connect pin 87 on relay to orange wire on black plug ( this wire goes to oil pressure switch as a direct power from battery) and also you need to join a wire direct from the battery (+) to this pin(87) on relay as well.
(so two wires go on the same pin on relay). So relay should click on and off when ignition is turned on and off via the computer.

Orange wire:

Positive (+) wire to oil pressure switch direct from battery to fuel pump relay pin 87 ( read above in violet wire)

red with black trace wire:

Positive (+) power supply for computer. Connect this red with black trace wire direct to the positive (+) battery power (countinuas power) via a 30amp fuse. No relay required. This will give continuas power to the computer.

Green with white trace:

Fuel pump switch wire from ecu to fuel pump relay pin 85 (read above in violet wire). Will give power to fuel pump relay to switch on and off.

Grey plug on efi loom in engine bay (near battery next to black plug)

bule with white wire:

Ac cooling fan relay(gives negative (-) power) (not reqiuired to hook up this wire anywhere) or you can hook up you themo`s to this wire via relay (and it will switch thermo`s on when water gets to 91c) can be altered to
different temp via computer (need software)

light green with black trace wire:

A/c relay (not required to hook up this wire anywhere) unless you are running air cond.

Blue wire:

Oil pressure light, give positive(+) power to a oil presure light in cabin. Does not need to be hook up if you dont have a oil pressure light, or you can just put a small led light on you dash and hook it uo to that.
(optional) specailly if you run a oil pressure guage.

Green (next to blue wire) wire:

Coolant tempreture signal wire, this give you a reading on you water temp guage. Best to put a aftermarket electric water temp guage with new sensor, as the vl dash guage will give you a wrong reading with the orignal sensor on the motor.
Connect this wire to you reciveing signal on you tempreture guage.

Green with black trace:

Not required.

Brown wire:

A/c switch. (not reqiured to hook up anywhere) unless you are going to connect the air cond up.

Brown with red trace wire:

Tacho signial, hook this wire up to your rpm tacho guage.

Black plug on efi loom in engine bay ( the one with 2 wires):

Purple wire:

Starter motor solinied positve (+) power supply. This wire need to be hook up to igntion starter, so when you turn the key to start it give power to the starter motor to turn over.

Brown wire:

Alternator dash light positive (+) output, this wire needs to be connected to a battery light on the dash, otherwise ti will no charge the battery if it is not hook up to a battery light.

White plug on efi loom near computer (inside car):

Brown with white trace wire:

Check engine light negative (-) power output. (must connect) connect this wire to a light somewhere on you dash to negative wire on the light and the positive wire from the light should be connected to ignition on power.

Brown with yellow trace wire:

To trip computer. (not required to hook this wire up anywhere).

Pink plug on efi loom near computer (inside car):

This plug hooks up to your transmission wiring loom if you are running the turbo transmission. If you are running a trimatic or manual here are the wires to be connected:

Yellow with white trace wire:

Trip computer. (not required to hook up any where)

grey wire:

Inhibitor switch, negative (-) power input. This wire needs to be connected to you inhibitor switch on your gear stick so the computer knows when it is in park on netural.
If the car is manual than this needs to be earthed out to negative (-) continuasly.

Grey with red trace wire:

Tourque converter clutch solinied. (not required to hook up any where if not running a four speed transmission)

pink (next to grey with red trace wire) wire:

Anti theft circuit. Need to connect this wire to positive (+) ignition on, otherwise it will no run the computer, this wire can be hooked up to your immobiliser realy so the car will not
start unless this wire gets a positive power supply.

Light blue wire:

Auto transmission tempreture switch/ 4th gear. (not required to hook up any where if not running a four speed transmission).

This is all thats needed to do and the car will start.

If you have any problems just let me know, and i can help you out.

Hope this helps everyone.

Cheers tab.
tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-10, 19:29   #2
sam5l
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
great write up wanna come do it for me? lol jokes thanks mate
sam5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-10, 17:07   #3
DA HOON
do it with junk, not $$$

Car: hacked up vr with ls1
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to DA HOON
good stuff mate, good detailed write up.
Old 31-03-10, 17:45   #4
tab
EVENT OFFICIAL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam5l View Post
great write up wanna come do it for me? lol jokes thanks mate
lol, never again, one conversion is enough, hahaha.....

---------- Post added 31-03-10 at 18:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA HOON View Post
good stuff mate, good detailed write up.
yeah thanks mate, i done all the research when i done the conversion, but never found anything useful online to help me with my wiring, so i thought it would help every one out there looking at doing a conversion.
Old 07-04-10, 19:29   #5
sam5l
Player

Car:
[QUOTE=tab;2443666]lol, never again, one conversion is enough, hahaha.....[COLOR="Silver"]

yeh ive gotta do it soon and im ***n scared
sam5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 06:50   #6
tufflux
Player

Car:
Vss

Any chance you know what the go is in regards to the VSS. I'm putting a T400 behind mine, into a hilux and I was wondering what the go is with the VSS, is there a way around this???
tufflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 19:20   #7
NASTY1
[IMPRSVE]

Car:
Trader Rating: (4)
hey mate nice write up.

am just wondering i want to drop a 5ltr into my vl im currently running a microtech in it and gona ditch it.what should i do as my loom has propably already been modified to suit microtech

what do you have?
NASTY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 18:40   #8
tab
EVENT OFFICIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY1 View Post
hey mate nice write up.

am just wondering i want to drop a 5ltr into my vl im currently running a microtech in it and gona ditch it.what should i do as my loom has propably already been modified to suit microtech

you will not be able use the microtec loom anyway. you will have to use a vn v8 efi loom with the vn computer, so it doesnt matter if u already have a microtech. all the 6cly engine loom will have to come out with the microtech.
Old 19-06-10, 18:36   #9
NASTY1
[IMPRSVE]

Car:
well i followed some parts of this tech write up but no fuel pumps priming..

any one got a wiring digram for vl efi6 to efi v8?

what do you have?
Old 20-06-10, 21:11   #10
TIDYVH
Player

Car:
good write up man, just wanna add three things to this thread off the top of my head.

pin 30 on a relay is the supply and pin 87 is the load. although it will still work the otherway around as they are just a set of contacts, the standard for wiring a relay is pin 30 supply and 87 load. This will make problem diagnosis easier down the track.

It also says to put a fuse in between the relay and the load, this doesnt completly protect the circuit. The fuse should be the first thing in the circuit from the battery to pin 30, that way all the wiring from the battery to the relay and all the way to the load is protected.

Last thing is the oil pressure switch doesnt inhibit fuel pump operation in the event of oil preassure loss. it is there incase the fuel pump relay becomes faulty, the engine can be cranked and when oil preasure is raised, the switch closes and runs the pumps.

To test this, unplug the oil pressure switch and it will still start and run fine. Or disconnect the fuel pump relay and crank the motor, when the oil pressure light turns off the fuel pumps will turn on and engine will start.
TIDYVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-10, 16:49   #11
NASTY1
[IMPRSVE]

Car:
hey all.i have folowed this wiring diagram.

my car cranks over now.
i have problems with this part it doesnt work unles you bridge the violet wire mentioned up the start of this diagram.it cranks over with the pink wire hooked up but fuel pump only works when you bridge it to pink wire and now fuel pump primes constantly.how do i get it to work normaly?

pink (next to grey with red trace wire) wire:

Anti theft circuit. Need to connect this wire to positive (+) ignition on, otherwise it will no run the computer, this wire can be hooked up to your immobiliser realy so the car will not
start unless this wire gets a positive power supply.

what do you have?
Old 03-08-10, 00:22   #12
ih8law
DEFCTD

Car: Vx ss
Hey bud do u have any pics of your wiring diagram from the battery are having problems with a mates one fuel pump is on ignition but no starter motor unless bridged from the grey wire too the battery would be much appreciated if u could send me a few pics of the wiring in your engine bay

Cheers
ih8law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 06:07   #13
NASTY1
[IMPRSVE]

Car:
i myself used the vl battery loom so i didnt change anything

what do you have?
Old 19-09-10, 18:52   #14
golum
Player

Car: Vx ss Also Have a Yellow BT1 , Purple Pearl Berlina
Can Some one get Some Wiring Pix Up on this ?
golum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-10, 18:22   #15
Farrout
Official Member

Car: VL 5 sp, 07 Hilux SR5
Very helpful thread mate, I've got a couple of questions with the wiring. Firstly with the small plug near the ECU. The colours of my wires are different from what you have stated. I'm not sure but I think my loom might be out of a VP. Here is a pic:

the wires are;
Top: Red with black, White with Black, solid plastic, green with blue, brown with white
Bottom: Brown with white, yellow with black, black, purple with white, pink

I'm not sure what is what as the colours don't correspond to what you have.

Secondly I have a few loose wires without plugs near the rear left of the engine, here is a pic:

The wires are: purple with white, green with blue, pink with blue, black, and brown.

I think the purple with white wire may be for the starter motor and the brown one goes to the coil or tacho.

Any help with these would be appreciated.
Farrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-11, 17:28   #16
tufflux
Player

Car:
Wiring issues

Hey guys,
havign a small issue. I have the hilux wired up and it runs fine, but i currently have the pink wire on the small plug near ecu wired directly to battery +12v, but it primes both before and after the car is run. By this i mean that even if I hook it up to my ignition source inside the cabin, it still primes once the battery is connected then cuts out once pressure is up, and once you turn the car off after the engine running it will prime again and then shutoff, is this normal??? I have a VP 5lt engine in it, otherwise it works great
tufflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 19:27   #17
Farrout
Official Member

I would think that if it still runs after you have turned off the ignition that something isn't quite right. From memory the ecu runs the fuel pump when the ignition is first turned on. Have you wired the fuel pump relay with the switch from the ecu? It should be the green with white trace wire.
Old 23-02-11, 05:46   #18
tab
EVENT OFFICIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufflux View Post
Hey guys,
havign a small issue. I have the hilux wired up and it runs fine, but i currently have the pink wire on the small plug near ecu wired directly to battery +12v, but it primes both before and after the car is run. By this i mean that even if I hook it up to my ignition source inside the cabin, it still primes once the battery is connected then cuts out once pressure is up, and once you turn the car off after the engine running it will prime again and then shutoff, is this normal??? I have a VP 5lt engine in it, otherwise it works great

yeah mate, that is normal, it does it to my car as well, once you switch it off it will run for a sec and then cut out. thats just how the ecu is programmed. on some ecu`s it does it and some it doesnt. so no need to worry about it.
Old 21-05-11, 19:54   #19
Tunzbig
Player

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to Tunzbig
Just used this method, i did have a v6 conversions loom but didnt work and was to messy this method is heaps better cheers mate!
Old 24-05-11, 10:47   #20
79stanza
Player

Car:
Hi I was just wondering if this wiring would be the same for a VR 5LTR with a 4L60E box or do you know how to wire up using this box?????
79stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 17:01   #21
ashley161
Player

Car:
so would it be ok to use the vl straight 6 body loom with the vn v8 engine harness when im putting my vn 304 in a vl excecutive??
ashley161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 21:20   #22
Farrout
Official Member

I kept the body loom in my VL and just hooked up the appropriate wires for the gauges. You will get to know wiring diagrams well!
Old 20-07-11, 21:09   #23
senator5l
Player

Car:
hi guys doing vs 5l conversion ising t700 box aswell , is the wiring the same for a vs as a vn 5l
senator5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-11, 06:25   #24
tab
EVENT OFFICIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by senator5l View Post
hi guys doing vs 5l conversion ising t700 box aswell , is the wiring the same for a vs as a vn 5l
pretty much the same. check your loom out and see if the colours match.
Old 15-09-11, 13:02   #25
4BNSLY
Gold Members

Car: VL calais v8 project neverending vt ss 5spd
can sumone plz tell y im not getting any pulse to my injectors
ive changed the ecu and still no change

cheers ronny
4BNSLY is offline   Reply With Quote