CalaisTurbo New Tags END Ignore Digital Niche Code -->
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Victoria
Tyres Now

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 28-07-09, 12:28   #1
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Differential Workshop Recommendations

Firstly, I really didn't want to start a thread like this.

But I'm having a hard time getting decent recommendations on the above; a lot of conflicting stories.

I want to hear from people in Victoria who've had big diffs built; be it drag, circuit, 9", BW78, whatever. Please don't ruin the thread by slagging each other/shops off.

I want a built BW78 using a Kaaz 28 spline 2 way LSD centre for circuit racing, with apirations to eventually modify it for a Watts Linkage. Must hold 300rwkw plus.



Please help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 12:31   #2
ANK
BANNED
 
ANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-07
Location: VIC, caulfield
Car: stolen wrx sti
Trader Rating: (7)
pannic uses a watts linkage very tuff
ANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 12:42   #3
Duke57TT
Missile Performance
 
Duke57TT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19-03-07
Location: NSW, Queanbeyan
Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
I have no idea Timmay, but the Star Wars reference gets my nod of approval. I havn't broken my diff but I guess Canberra is a little far to send the borgy.
__________________
Rubber Braided and Teflon Braided Hose For Sale.Click Me! Add us on Facebook!! Email - missileperformance@live.com.au
Duke57TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 13:09   #4
RB2GO
NO SHOW
 
RB2GO's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24-10-05
Location: VIC, Slybo
Car: VLT, VT
Trader Rating: (12)
A guy i know has just shortened a borg warner from a falcon that has the watts linkage mount on the diff cover, would be worth seeing if these swap straight over then you only have to fabricate the body mounts
.
RB2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 13:11   #5
AlmightyVL
Lurking
 
AlmightyVL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-06-03
Location: Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
Car: WRX, VT Calais
Trader Rating: (13)
I had my 9" built at Preston Auto's & Diffs as they are local. Got a steel centered hemisphere put in, new 4.11's, new LSD, new 28spline axels. Was very happy with it, took it racing after 100kms and it was sweet. I had it built to handle a 9/10 second pass. Was reasonably priced aswell comparing with other places I spoke to.
AlmightyVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 13:26   #6
burchenal
Ha Ha .... quicker
 
burchenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: VIC, banjo country
Car: One word: ThunderCougarFalconBird
Trader Rating: (7)
I'm running a 9" in my vlt at the moment; centre was rebuilt some years ago when I brought it, although not 100% sure on the specs or shop - will have to check my receipt collection when I get home.

Running a Watts linkage will be interesting, adjustable lower/upper arms as well?
Take it your also thinking of running adjustable front lower A-Arms?
__________________
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" - Ayrton Senna

Last edited by burchenal; 28-07-09 at 13:39.
burchenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 13:38   #7
GAS747
GAS747
 
GAS747's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19-06-02
Location: VIC, South East
Car: GAS747 | TUFGT0
Trader Rating: (12)
Preston diffs and autos, my diffs been going for ages and im really supprised it hasnt blown yet! I use to go thru them all the time but since preston has been doing them the diff's been awesome!

Prices and service are VERY good! + good guys to deal with and very caring for peoples cars...

__________________
GAS747 - 9.49 @ 146.4 MPH on RADIALS
Next Gen IT Consulting
SEO Melbourne
Radial Life
GAS747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 14:59   #8
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2GO
A guy i know has just shortened a borg warner from a falcon that has the watts linkage mount on the diff cover, would be worth seeing if these swap straight over then you only have to fabricate the body mounts
That's interesting - do you know what model Falcon? Might be an old one from memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burchenal
Running a Watts linkage will be interesting, adjustable lower/upper arms as well?
Take it your also thinking of running adjustable front lower A-Arms?
Hey Matt! Eventually, yes. Stock arms front/rear and panhard for a while, then Watts and adjustability like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS-747
Preston diffs and autos, my diffs been going for ages and im really supprised it hasnt blown yet! I use to go thru them all the time but since preston has been doing them the diff's been awesome!

Prices and service are VERY good! + good guys to deal with and very caring for peoples cars...
Thanks Gas. I had a quick word with them, but have had people steer me away from them. They seemed ok, although the prices on billet (axles, gearsets) seemed pretty expensive.


Anyone tried Keysborough Diffs? Had them recommended, but I've also read some undesireable things about them too.

Last edited by 5spdvl; 28-07-09 at 20:58.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:05   #9
RB2GO
NO SHOW
 
RB2GO's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24-10-05
Location: VIC, Slybo
Car: VLT, VT
Trader Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl

That's interesting - do you know what model Falcon? Might be an old one from memory.
Definately an older one, will find out exactly
RB2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:07   #10
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?
 
Epitaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15-10-02
Location: Melbourne, South Eastern Suburbs
Car: BF XR8 Ute
Trader Rating: (14)
You're gonna get good and bad stories from everyone.

End of the day, if you're a decent customer willing to spend the money required, you will get good service. The problem is tight asses lol
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:09   #11
ANK
BANNED
 
ANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-07
Location: VIC, caulfield
Car: stolen wrx sti
Trader Rating: (7)
my advice buy all the parts your self then take it to a diff shop pm eat 30t off here kurt very helpful top bloke he will give u the BEST advice that can be HAD on this forum
ANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:11   #12
MUS
Couldnt care less
 
MUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-02-07
Location: Melbourne, North Side
Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph
You're gonna get good and bad stories from everyone.

End of the day, if you're a decent customer willing to spend the money required, you will get good service. The problem is tight asses lol
^^ Good point, very true. +1 for Preston Automotives.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:48   #13
aus880
Gold Members
 
Join Date: 19-06-02
Location: International, Worldwide
Car:
Trader Rating: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK
my advice buy all the parts your self then take it to a diff shop pm eat 30t off here kurt very helpful top bloke he will give u the BEST advice that can be HAD on this forum

sorry but i agree with you again andrew

Go Kurt !!!
__________________
Classic Pursuit Vehicles

www.Facebook.com/cpv.com.au
"Real cars, real history"
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:50   #14
ANK
BANNED
 
ANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-07
Location: VIC, caulfield
Car: stolen wrx sti
Trader Rating: (7)
omfg your worse then a hot curry only you take more then 12 hours to pass threw the system

ps stop calling me by my name your not my mate its ANK880 :P
ANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 15:51   #15
aus880
Gold Members
 
Join Date: 19-06-02
Location: International, Worldwide
Car:
Trader Rating: (27)
currys and beer............ yum
__________________
Classic Pursuit Vehicles

www.Facebook.com/cpv.com.au
"Real cars, real history"
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 16:01   #16
88 Chaser
Player
 
88 Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-03-06
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
Firstly, I really didn't want to start a thread like this.

But I'm having a hard time getting decent recommendations on the above; a lot of conflicting stories.

I want to hear from people in Victoria who've had big diffs built; be it drag, circuit, 9", BW78, whatever. Please don't ruin the thread by slagging each other/shops off.

I want a built BW78 using a Kaaz 28 spline 2 way LSD centre for circuit racing, with apirations to eventually modify it for a Watts Linkage. Must hold 300rwkw plus.



Please help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.


Rowse racing, the same guys did my cage, and have done the diff thats in it, probabl know a bit about teh watts linkage also, Tim used to run an ex level 1 v8 in the konica cup series, pretty sure they would have been running the watts linkage in that.
88 Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 16:17   #17
SirGeo
Administrator
 
SirGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-02
Location: Melbourne, S.E.
Car: '67 Camaro in the Build... And still looking for a stock'ish BT1
Trader Rating: (40)
Send a message via ICQ to SirGeo Send a message via MSN to SirGeo
Ank and aus are on the money.. Ask Kurt and i'm sure if he can't do it or if you prefer a vic shop he'll be able to point you in the right direction...

In saying that, only ever heard good thinks about preston diffs and auto's as well..
SirGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 16:18   #18
rsn-wpn
BANNED
 
rsn-wpn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27-09-08
Location: Melbourne, s.e suburbs
Car: vt tucking cetre caps
Trader Rating: (3)
G&J Diff's in dandy do a good job and cheap
rsn-wpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 16:55   #19
jbonez
King Of Re-Work
 
jbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13-02-08
Location: Brisbane, Northside
Trader Rating: (1)
I think the ef/el might have a watts linkage on the diff hat
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 16:56   #20
ipg
shannon noll
 
ipg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13-07-02
Location: Melbourne, eastern subs
Car: r32gtr
Trader Rating: (5)
will a watts link affect his dose?
ipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 17:00   #21
jbonez
King Of Re-Work
 
jbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13-02-08
Location: Brisbane, Northside
Trader Rating: (1)
If anything will make it louder...

Am interested to hear what opinions there are on the watts linkage setup, theres a guy selling a billet plate style one on ebay for 700+ but think it would be a bit of a job.
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 17:45   #22
PROGMH
Moderator
 
PROGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-10-05
Location: VIC, VIC
Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
I've been steered away from keysy and G&J diffs. A mate went into G&J asking for 3.9's, after it blew up he found out it was 4.11s.

I havn't found a great diff builder down this way Timmy... heard good things about preston though and also another place in dandenong... Supatrik I think?
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 17:54   #23
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph
You're gonna get good and bad stories from everyone.

End of the day, if you're a decent customer willing to spend the money required, you will get good service. The problem is tight asses lol
I know Kane, but at least the thread is providing a few names that I can check out. I'm not the tight ass either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK
my advice buy all the parts your self then take it to a diff shop pm eat 30t off here kurt very helpful top bloke he will give u the BEST advice that can be HAD on this forum
That's it man, buying everything myself, and entrusting assembly to a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Chaser
Rowse racing, the same guys did my cage, and have done the diff thats in it, probabl know a bit about teh watts linkage also, Tim used to run an ex level 1 v8 in the konica cup series, pretty sure they would have been running the watts linkage in that.
Thanks Jason. I will check them out as well. What diff are you actually running? I was under the impression you went through a VLT/BW78 every time you killed an MX7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROGMH
I've been steered away from keysy and G&J diffs. A mate went into G&J asking for 3.9's, after it blew up he found out it was 4.11s.

I havn't found a great diff builder down this way Timmy... heard good things about preston though and also another place in dandenong... Supatrik I think?
Hrmm, that's not good. I'll check Supatrik too.

I know this all sounds like a such a douchebag thread, with me going "yeah thanks man, I'll check them out, and the, and them...." - but I really needed these suggestions so I can make the calls. A lot of my search results came up with places that mostly specialised in transmissions (autos in particular), and just did diffs on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonez
Am interested to hear what opinions there are on the watts linkage setup, theres a guy selling a billet plate style one on ebay for 700+ but think it would be a bit of a job.
Have a read: http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=133721

Bit of good info I've collated on Watts Linkages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeo
Ank and aus are on the money.. Ask Kurt and i'm sure if he can't do it or if you prefer a vic shop he'll be able to point you in the right direction...

In saying that, only ever heard good thinks about preston diffs and auto's as well..
I'll have a word with him. Thanks Steve.


This is good though guys, keep it up.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 18:03   #24
88 Chaser
Player
 
88 Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-03-06
Location: Melbourne, South eastern suburbs
Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
haha, nah the diff has been the best, nothing to hard, mini spool 28 spline 3.45's. Only had to replace it once when the gear box went, not sure what happened first, that was the original diff i bought the car with though, just a welded up job at that.

Mate had hi 9 inch done by G and J, would never go back, kept going back to get it fixed, still single legs all the time, very unpredictable diff.

I have only bought axles from G and J as they make new 28 spline ones there
88 Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-09, 18:08   #25
ipg
shannon noll
 
ipg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13-07-02
Location: Melbourne, eastern subs
Car: r32gtr
Trader Rating: (5)
i got my lsd in the vlct reco'd at preston a&d and get them to install one in my ek this week.

i just hope the fluxcapacitor in the ek holds out to the dose...
ipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger