Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
G-Cylinder

Old 05-04-08, 13:13   #1
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Trader Rating: (1)
Jason's VL V8 Calais [AKA: NZ's VL2DY4]

INTRODUCTION

I’ve been a member of this site for a while now (since 08/04/04) around 4 years and thought I would finally post a write up and some pics of my V8 VL Calais.

I’ve been holding off as I have always wanted to do just one more thing to the car before I was happy with it. Well, I can see that I am always going to have one more thing to do – so I have decided to just post this up and then update it as things progress.

I bought the car as a N/A Calais with Group A front bar and 16” mags. The car had all the rust removed and a new VT type rubber on the front windscreen to replace those crappy VL plastic things. It had been re-painted in a multi metallic maroon/burgundy colour and was generally very tidy.

SUMMARY OF CAR

Here is a summary of the car as at 05/04/08 – for a more detail on the things I have done to the car please continue reading down the page for a chronological list of changes.

Model: VL Holden Commodore Calais V8
Year: 1987
Colour: Multi Metallic Maroon/Burgundy
Engine: Mildly worked 308 – Edlebrock intake, Holley 570 Street Avenger Carb, C.O.M.E Racing cam, engine balance, ported and polished heads and extractors.
Exhaust: 3” cat back mandrel bent exhaust with a single ‘superflow’ muffler
Gearbox: Stage one shift-kitted TH400
Diff: Standard 3L single spinner 3.45 (soon to be replaced hopefully)
Suspension: Front: Dobi superlow coils and Bilstein performance shocks – Rear: Dobi superlow coils and Bilstein Performance Shocks
Wheels: VY SS 18” – with matching spare
Bodykit: VL Group A front bumper and rear spoiler– VK Director sideskirts and VK Group 3 rear bumper.
Interior: Custom bucket seats with number plate stitched into the top of them – rear seat, door cards, parcel tray, console lid, and glove box cover all upholstered to match and a Sportline 330ml steering wheel.
Stereo: CD Player, 6’s mounted behind VR speaker pods on front doors, 6x9’s on parcel tray, single 12” sub in boot – 6x9’s run off Sony 222 amp, sub run off lightning audio amp.

CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF CHANGES

Here is a list of things I have done to the car over the years I have owned it – starting from when I purchased the car through until when I wrote this

* Lowered the car – took the springs off my old VL Royale
* Fitted a new exhaust 2 ” mandrel bent exhaust with dual mufflers
* Crashed and buggered the driver’s side front guard – so I fixed that and while I was at it fitted some VK Director side skirts.
* My girl friend bought me the VL2DY4 number plates for my 21st Birthday
* Fitted some silver VK door Handles my mate polished up for me.
* Got some tints put on, as my last car had them and I was used to having them.
* Totaled the front bar – which was riveted and bogged and was generally a bloody rough job – so I replaced this with a new item
* Got a Group A grille to replace the standard Calais item
* Fitted some bonnet struts (wagon tailgate struts and VR ball joint brackets)
* Got some VY 18” mags and resurfaced them to top condition.
* Purchased some new VZ SS calipers and discs.
* Tracked down some adaptor hubs, braided brake hose, and a 1” master cylinder. Then completed the brake upgrade – 296mm rotors and twin pot calipers.
* Added some more sounds – 2 amps, 6x9’s in the parcel tray, sub in the boot and 6’s in the front doors – mounted behind VR speaker pods
* My friend helped me acquire some custom made bucket seats for the front with the number plate stitched into the tops of them – also got the rear seat re-upholstered in the same material
* Got the door cards, rear seat, parcel tray, glove box and console lid re-covered in the same material
* Purchased another VL Calais that had been converted to a carbied 308, with minor mods – edelbrock intake, holley 600, extractors etc. This car was running a shift-kitted TH400 trans
* The next BIG step was to swap everything that needed to be swapped; engine, trans, trans shifters, trans cooler, drive shafts, cross members, power steering rack, steering columns, battery trays, radiators, brake discs, fuel pumps etc etc. Then the really fun job – swapping all the wiring looms & computers – this took a long time but thankfully as the V8 was originally a RB30 then I was able to use some of the existing loom that was left in the car. I just had to adapt some looms and change some plugs here and there – either way, great fun – not
* I then wired up some more accurate gauges for water temp, oil pressure and voltage.
* A while later I proceeded to completely recondition the engine as there was some blow by and the engine was just running rough in general. The whole engine was reco’d from bottom to top and in the process added a C.O.M.E Racing cam, balanced the engine, ported and polished the heads and added some bigger and better extractors.
* Added a Sportline 330ml steering wheel – A huge improvement over the standard VL wheel!
* Lowered the car a little more – Dobi coils and pedders shorterned shocks for the rear and Lovell coils and Monroe shocks for the front.
* Added a cat back (well where the cat would be, don’t need cats in NZ) 3” mandrel bent exhaust running single ‘superflow’ muffler. Click here to listen
* I haven’t had the car on the dyno yet as at the point of writing this the engine was still been run in and I have been too busy with my new job.
* Purchased and installed new Dobi Superlow coils for front and rear, some new Noltec strut tops/mounts and a Nolathane strut brace.
* Some son-of-a-bitch ran into my car at the gas station and buggered off before anyone at the gas station could get their plate. Turns out I parked out of view of the cameras also. Not Farken amused!!!
* Ended up paying to fix the rear of the car myself – insurance excess was $1250 so I thought I would be just as well off paying for it out of my own pocket.
* When I got it all fixed it was a good time to replace the standard rear bumper with something to match the rest of the kit. The obvious choice – VK Group 3 Rear bumper.
* Finally I got my act together and got one of Mike’s (Niche) fuse rails sent over. Great quality replacement and a great price even after shipping to NZ. Installation was easy just time consuming (I wanted to make sure I did it all well the first time). All in all a great addition to the cars electrical system.
* After having issues with power supply, especially when running numerous things at once; stereo, heater, electric fan, headlights etc. So I purchased a 100amp bling bling chrome alternator. Installed it and cleaned up all the wiring – also got a bigger gauge wire to run from battery to alternator.
* The secondaries on the carby started to flood every few days – not ideal filling up your intake with petrol and spilling it all over the hot engine. I pulled the carb off and cleaned it and reset the float levels – this worked for a while but it was an old Holley 600cfm vacuum secondary carb and it really needed replacing. I had a few choices but after tracking down a brand new Holley 570cfm Street Avenger Carb for a bl00dy good price I went ahead and purchased it. I got it for cheaper than most places were asking for a replacement Holley 600cfm vac sec, so naturally I was well pleased.
* Tuned up the new carb – replaced the main jets with one size up as it was leaning out slightly under light amounts of acceleration – before the secondaries kicked in.
* Finally got around to replacing all my suspension – well most of it. Sabre 30mm heavy duty sway bar, Bilstein Performance shocks all round, new Nolathane control arms and upper and lower trailing arms, Nolathane on car adjustable panhard rod – bling bling chrome edition and replaced all other bushes with Nolathane. – Please refer this link for more details on my suspension upgrade: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...17#post1787417

I think that basically brings us up to date – please view the pictures and tell me what you think – it’s been a long time and a for the most part on a tight budget but here is my pride and joy to the stage it is in now, I hope you all like!

PICTURES

My old Royale and my Newly purchased Calais:

My Calais as it was when I purchased it:

After Lowering it:

After the little incident with the tree:

The new [VK Director] Sideskirts:

The new mags [VY SS 18's] and new [VL Group A] Grille:

Replacement Group A Front Bumper after the last one broke:

The V8 Calais I purchased to swap engines with my RB30:

Some nice clean photos of my car as it was about a year ago:

The result of the Petrol Station altercation:

All fixed after the crash - my new VK Group 3 rear bumper:

My new carb [Holley 570cfm Street Avenger]:

All of my new suspension components [For more details and photos of my suspension upgrade please visit this link: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...17#post1787417]

A photo from a few days ago:

I hope you all enjoyed this little journey, it took me a long time to write this thread!

FUTURE MODS

* New diff – LSD, not sure what ratio I will go for yet
* Other than that I am very pleased with her

Feel free to post comments.

Thanks for viewing,

Jason

Last edited by Spike; 15-06-08 at 01:18. Reason: Fixed errors :)
'87Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 21:28   #2
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
Well done jason enjoyed reading that you've done way more than what I thought you had done to her and it looks mint now we need to see more of it on some of the NZ cruises !!
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 21:43   #3
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1KVL
Well done jason enjoyed reading that you've done way more than what I thought you had done to her and it looks mint now we need to see more of it on some of the NZ cruises !!
Haha... glad to see someone enjoyed the read - it took a lot of effort to write it all up. I have been waiting for a while for it to be posted and finally it has been. Although i noticed a few errors on the page and now i can't edit them... The two i noticed so far are corrected below

Under SUMMARY OF CAR it should say "Here is a summary of the car as at 05/04/06" - not 01/12/06. And down the bottom of the
CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF CHANGES it should say "new Nolathane control arms and upper and lower trailing arms" - not upper and lower control arms

And as for the cruises... I now need to get her fixed again
I was all keen to go on the cruise that is planned for this weekend... however as you know... things haven't gone to plan. Oh well next time i guess.

Cheers,

J
Old 13-06-08, 05:32   #4
SIKVLT

Yeah I guess these things happen more to some than others !!
What brand are the front seats ?
Old 13-06-08, 06:31   #5
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
Trader Rating: (0)
Nice write up, you surely have done some work to that car!

That Calais you purchased looks mint! If you still have the rims on that one I reckon you should put them on yours
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-08, 07:12   #6
hsvhel
gtr in progress

Car: LC GTR Torana
Send a message via MSN to hsvhel
jason
if you dont mind me asking, what did you part with for the v8 vl?
Old 13-06-08, 10:23   #7
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1KVL
Yeah I guess these things happen more to some than others !!
What brand are the front seats ?
Umm... I think they are Racepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
Nice write up, you surely have done some work to that car!

That Calais you purchased looks mint! If you still have the rims on that one I reckon you should put them on yours
Yeah over the years i have done a lot to it... it's just crushing to see it get damaged, but sh!t happens i guess.

It was quite tidy overall but the interior wasn't that tidy and the body had a few dents and some faded paint. I was gonna put those rims on but they were only 17's and the offset was all wrong. Even the 16's my car came with (same wheel different size) scrapped like a b!tch, even when no one was in the back sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvhel
jason
if you dont mind me asking, what did you part with for the v8 vl?
Hmmm... i can't really remember i think i paid $5,500 for it. I got most of my money back when i sold it with my 6 in it though.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Later,

J
Old 13-06-08, 23:58   #8
SELO XST 045
167rwkw @ 10psi

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to SELO XST 045
nice build up mate ..

can i ask what wheels are on the donner car .. ? and what size ( i like em )
SELO XST 045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-08, 01:47   #9
Spike
WHT-747

Car: VL Calais Turbo, 180sx
Trader Rating: (37)
Send a message via MSN to Spike
Fantastic write up mate & looks immaculate as well.

Congrats
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-08, 17:30   #10
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZAVL
nice build up mate ..

can i ask what wheels are on the donner car .. ? and what size ( i like em )
Thanks

The mags are ROH ZS 17s. I don't know if they still make them. Beware that the offset isn't very suitable for early Commodores. You can get a shallower dish which may work better but they look no where near as good!!
Old 19-06-08, 15:43   #11
leb vlt
Roll Cage Territory

Car: 10.8 @ 121 mph
Trader Rating: (62)
Send a message via MSN to leb vlt
great write up man and very nice progress wih the car, top effort
leb vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 16:44   #12
SELO XST 045
167rwkw @ 10psi

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to SELO XST 045
Quote:
Originally Posted by '87Calais
Thanks

The mags are ROH ZS 17s. I don't know if they still make them. Beware that the offset isn't very suitable for early Commodores. You can get a shallower dish which may work better but they look no where near as good!!
nice nice
i am starting to like roh wheels or is the old school toch coming back to me ..

i am guessing there normal size wheels on them 17/40/235
btw looks like it was prity low too .. tho..
SELO XST 045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 22:00   #13
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

First of all - Here is the latest update, minor accident on slippery wet road: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=138543

Quote:
Originally Posted by leb vlt
great write up man and very nice progress wih the car, top effort
Thanks... It has been a little project of mine - slowly absorbing my money. Just always one more thing that needs doing

Check out the link above and you'll see what the next parahraph is all about - I haven't driven it for 3 weeks come this Saturday. Waiting for insurance and suspension/panel beaters to sort their sh!t out and fix her up. It's so annoying not having a car and even more frustrating not having my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZAVL
nice nice
i am starting to like roh wheels or is the old school toch coming back to me ..

i am guessing there normal size wheels on them 17/40/235
btw looks like it was prity low too .. tho..
I think from memory the tyres were 17/40/225 and yeah it was very low. It was running modified superlows springs all round, it was actually very uncomfortable and quite a pain in the ass that low - But it looked farken awesome!
Old 30-06-08, 00:23   #14
DIXIE
BANNED

Trader Rating: (15)
lol nice plates !

DIXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-08, 22:01   #15
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

-- Update --

Was meaning to update this a while ago but have had some problems and have been busy lately. Anyways, the main purpose of this update is to inform you all about my new USB Head Unit - What a treat it is

Anyways i have purchased a Pioneer DEH-P7950UB. A few different reasons why I chose this particular model:
  • Rear Direct USB Connection
  • Ability to read up to 250GB USB HDD's
  • Supports Playlists (even though the 2008 models don't)
  • Price was slashed as it was the 2007 model
  • Supports more folder/files than the 2008 model
  • Better in most ways than any others on the market in NZ
I ran the USB cable from the back of the unit under the centre console and under the carpet so it comes out under the drivers seat. I then plug in my USB 1.8" 20GB HDD (or pocket drive as D!ck Smith like to call it) and it sits away out of site under then seat - just velcrod to the carpet at the moment.

This little combination is awesome and i can't recommend it enough to anyone who has a lot of music and is over listening to radio stations - NZ has some terrible stations

It has around 16GB of music on it at the moment - Mostly classic rock/rock/metal and heavy metal and some occasional other genres to keep the selection fresh.

It takes about 30-40 seconds to scan on start up but you can listen to the radio whilst it does that. I can then play all songs or selected folders on random. 2000+ songs on random and no load time between them is like having your own personal radio station. I used to hate having to change CD every few days, so this is the perfect solution - i never have to change CD again

Photo time:

A picture of the items I ended up using

The Head Unit Installed

The HDD as it sits, out of the way under my seat

Hope you all enjoyed this little ramble and i hope some people find this information usful as i found it very hard to find information on similar setups.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

SUMMARY OF CAR - UPDATE

Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P7950UB Head Unit running 20GB 1.8" USB Hard Drive, 6’s mounted behind VR speaker pods on front doors, 6x9’s on parcel tray, single 12” sub in boot – 6x9’s run off Sony 222 amp, sub run off lightning audio amp.

Later,

Jason

Last edited by '87Calais; 13-08-08 at 22:04.
Old 19-08-08, 23:00   #16
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
good to see after 4 years the car is still progressing. it looks great and so does the donor vlc can i say.

just one question why didn't you use the vlc's diff aswell as the engine and gearbox??
Old 11-09-08, 22:17   #17
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
good to see after 4 years the car is still progressing. it looks great and so does the donor vlc can i say.

just one question why didn't you use the vlc's diff aswell as the engine and gearbox??
Hey,

Bit of a late reply but i only just noticed this question now - The reason i didn't use the donor cars diff is that the donor car was originally a RB30 and whoever did that conversion didn't do the diff - hence the diff was the same in that as too what i have in mine. Plus i didn't know how that diff had been treated - at least i know how mine has been treated... well for the period of time i've owned it anyways.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 21-11-08, 20:19   #18
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Hey all, I thought i would do a rather comprehensive update as i have just had four wisdom teeth extracted and can't do much else. I have put up a few pics in the NZ section over the last few months but i thought i would update my car's thread so that everything is in one place.

SUMMARY OF CAR - UPDATE

Brakes: New PBR 1" master cylinder, new VZ twin piston calipers on DBA VZ slotted rotors up front (I'm using adapter hubs to run the VZ spec rotors). Standard VL calipers on DBA VL slotted rotors at the rear. I'm using super dot 4 fluid and running braided lines up front. The calipers have all been painted to match the body colour and the rotor 'hats' have been painted a charcoal/bronze colour.
Wheels & Tyres: HSV VZ Clubsport 19s with Yokohama Advan Sport (235/35/R19) on all corners.
Body: Fitted some aftermarket (Taiwanese) VK Berlina tail lights.
Other: I installed a hidden cigarette lighter socket under the dash so i could wire up my new Navman GPS unit - Photos to come.

Here is a list of things I have done to the car since i started this thread. Changes continue on from the end of list in the first post.

* Had to get the front end of the car repaired after under steering into a curb. I wasn't going fast but because of the angle the wheel struck the curb it managed to smash a piece out of the wheel and force the whole left front suspension assembly to move. It has pulled the radius rod through the cross member and moved the lower arm and the strut assembly. It forced the wheel into the quarter panel and also broke my side skirt. The front bumper also sustained some damage. I gave my insurance company a call and eventually after around 1 month i got it back. Here is a thread with more info and pics if anyone is interested: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=138543

* To rectify the damage the following items were fixed or replaced: 1x new mag, fixed side skirt, fixed bumper, 2nd hand GMH quarter panel, new indicator lens, new passenger side and centre bumper mouldings and a new aerial.

* Whilst it was at the paint shop i got them to repaint the window surrounds/B pillar etc in a satin black as they were starting to look tired. I think even though it was a subtle touch it made a big difference.

* Purchased some new (Taiwanese) VK Berlina tail lights as my old calais ones were falling apart. The passenger side one was just a cheap second hand one as a temporary measure when my car got rear ended at the petrol station. Over time the lenses started falling out and it was letting in water. I couldn't find any genuine VL Calais lights and after months of searching gave up, i didn't like the VL Calais knock offs so i decided i would go the the black surrounded & black striped VK Berlina/VK SS lights. I went with the Taiwanese ones as the GMH ones were impossible to find new and all the second hand ones were broken or brittle.

* After getting the car fixed i splashed out on a new Head Unit as i was fast getting sick of changing CDs. The old CD player had done very well and it was time to upgrade. After some research i settled on the Pioneer DEH-P7950UB as it was a 2007 model and was going relatively cheap compared to other models in its class. It had everything i wanted (mainly rear USB input for direct USB hard drive connection) and was rather well priced.

* I installed the new head unit and ran a hidden usb wire under the carpet along the centre console and out underneath the driver's seat. Here the 1.8" DSE 20GB hard drive resides. It is simply Velcro'd to the carpet for easy installation and removal - No more changing songs and 2000+ songs to enjoy... on random it's like your own personal radio station! More info can be found in this thread: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=144092

* Then it was time to upgrade and paint my brakes. So i purchased: A brand new PBR master cylinder, some brand new PBR VT spec front calipers, 2x rear caliper overhaul kits, 2x VT DBA slotted front rotors, 2x DBA VL slotted rear rotors and a lot of Super Dot 4 brake fluid.

* I then enlisted the help of a friend to paint my calipers the same colour as my car - he decided to mix it up on the front calipers and painted the slides a charcoal/bronze colour. He then painted the 'hats' on the rotors that same charcoal/bronze colour. The end result was fantastic!! I then removed all of the old components, replaced them with the new items and proceeded to pressure bleed the brake system and replace all of the old fluid with super dot 4. NOTE: I already had the adapter hubs and the braided lines from my earlier brake upgrade - refer 'chronological list of changes' in the first post of this thread.

* Then one day when browsing on Trademe (NZ's ebay equivalent) I stumbled upon some VZ Clubsport 19s. Although i wasn't really looking for new mags i had grown tired of my current wheels. After a bit of negotiating and waiting for the auction to end without anyone else bidding, i ended up with some almost brand new wheels and tyres. Both the wheels and tyres had only done around 2000kms from new and i thought it was too good an offer to pass up.

* I purchased a Navman GPS unit for cheap from a mate and installed it in my car. However i had no way of running it as i had taken my cigarette lighter socket out of my car as it blew fuses all the time. I had also used the old cig lighter wires to hard wire my radar detector so i had a problem. How to power the Navman from the car battery.

* I decided to install a new cig lighter socket under the dash, i thought this was a better idea than hard wiring as i may need the socket to power other items. I installed it where the old Auto Transmission Computer used to be, as i was running the Chev box i no longer needed the AT Comp. I used the bracket for the AT Comp to mount the new socket and also used the switched power wire from the plug. I put a blade fuse in the power line as a backup fuse to ensure nothing i plugged in would get damaged. After some soldering and heat shrinking it was all ready to go. (I will post pics of this later)

I think that brings us up to date... I'm sure i will end up doing another massive update at some stage in the near future - after all i still haven't got an LSD - could be on the cards for early next year though.

PICTURES

Damage from under steering into the curb... A sight no one wants to see - their car on a tow truck!

Damage to the Cross Member/K Frame (it's crushed by the end of the radius rod):

Fixed up after the curb incident and freshly painted window surrounds/B pillars:

Repainted window surrounds/B pillars and new VK Berlina tail lights:

The new slotted rotors i invested in for all four corners:

Freshly painted rear calipers and new slotted rotors:

New VT Spec calipers and new slotted rotors all freshly painted:

A different angle of the front:

A photo at the beach of the rear passenger side, showing the new brakes:

Front driver's side photo of my HSV VZ Clubsport 19s:

Side on photo of the car with the VZ Clubby 19s:

A photo from the Labour Weekend cruise (Sun 26 Oct 08):

Hopefully people will actually read what i've written... Having said that it is a bit of a novel!
Even if you don't read it, enjoy the photos and let me know what ya think

Thanks for viewing,

Jason

Last edited by '87Calais; 21-11-08 at 20:21.
Old 21-11-08, 20:43   #19
Boeing77L
Official Member

Car:
Great write up!
Excellent progress... Well done
Boeing77L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-08, 09:07   #20
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNVT
Great write up!
Excellent progress... Well done
Thanks... I'm sure there's more to come. I always seem to find something else that can be done!

Cheers,

Jason
Old 22-11-08, 15:40   #21
SIKVLT

Good score on the rims they look sweet as
Old 12-12-08, 20:10   #22
7FOUR7
Be like me

Car: VZ SS Thunder 6.0- Another vl soon
Trader Rating: (26)
Send a message via ICQ to 7FOUR7 Send a message via MSN to 7FOUR7
top writeup mate and a very nice calais indeed!
Old 13-12-08, 03:39   #23
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
Jason, please stop crashing your car!
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-08, 21:25   #24
'87Calais
NZ's VL2DY4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
Jason, please stop crashing your car!
It's not like i plan for these things to happen... but i will take note of your advice Alex.

>> UPDATE <<

Here is a list of things I have done to the car since i started this thread. Changes continue on from the end of the list in my last update post [post #18].

I spent a bit of time and money tidying up the engine bay over the Christmas period. Below is a list of items i purchased, some details as to what i did and some photos of the results.

- Gilmer Drive and Belt (with power steering option)
- PCV valve & catch can
- Filter style rocker cover breather
- Chrome metal fuel line for carb

- Metal & glass fuel filter
- Rocker cover mini studs and cap screws - ohhh shiny!
- Dual carb return springs
- New air cleaner/filter drop base - bit more clearance under this one
- Reduced from a 4" high filter to a 3"
- Nice new air cleaner wing nut

* I wanted to do something about the V belts for sometime and a Gilmer setup has always been on my mind. Although i was quite keen on the idea, for various reasons i kept delaying it. Well i finally got my sh!t sorted and got one for Christmas - buying presents for people to give you is so much easier; you get exactly what you want

Anyways, I knew i needed to space the power steering pump out - but i had to space it more than expected as i needed to run a small spacer on the water pump pulley otherwise it wouldn't bolt up. The pulley was too deep and hit the pump without the use of the spacer. I then had to space the crank pulley 10mm so the V belt pulley at the front of it would clear the water pump pulley and line up with the power steering V belt pulley... What an effort... Thankfully my brother's mate came to the party and machined me up a billet alloy spacer to match the crank pulley.

* I decided to install the PCV and catch can due to the excessive venting i was getting from the rocker covers when the engine was warm - i was told this was quite normal for a Holden V8 and the best solution was to install an open PCV system and help the engine to circulate the fumes better. I chose to run a catch can to keep the engine cleaner and also to see how much oil i was loosing from all this heavy breathing. I always liked the 'filter' style breathers and as my old 'mushroom' style breathers were getting on i decided to replace the remaining one with a 'filter' style.

* I finally tracked down a chrome metal fuel line to replace the standard hose and brass fittings my new carb came with. I used the new fuel line in conjunction with the glass fuel filter to redirect the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. I had previously been using a reducer due to the line from my fuel pump being 5/16" and the line going into the carb being 3/8". I specially assembled the new fuel filter using a 5/16" input and a 3/8" output and in turn was able to make a more direct route to the carb as the reducer was no longer required.

* I needed to change the rocker cover gaskets and re-torque the heads so i decided at the same time i would replace the rocker cover hold down screws with mini studs and shiny cap screws. After trimming the length of the studs they became very practical - well for the passenger side at least. Due to the driver's side being so close to the brake booster i was unable to screw the studs in first and place everything over them like i did on the passenger side. Either way they look much better than the screws i was using.

* My throttle return spring wasn't that flash so i upgraded it to some heavy duty dual return springs... and they are added safety as there are two springs to rely on instead of one. After changing the spring i decided to change the filter from a 4" to a 3" as the drop base on the 4" was contacting with the return springs at various stages through the throttles' travel. With the 4" the air filter wing nut was also contacting the bonnet lining and was starting to work a hole in it.

* After replacing the filter element with the 3" option and running a different drop base i put my new air cleaner top on and fitted the new, big, shiny wing nut.

Well after that ramble i think i am about done. For those of you who read it i hope you find it informative and enjoy the read. For those who don't read it, below are some recent photos for you to enjoy instead!

PICTURES

Here are 4 small photos of the cig lighter socket i installed under my dash and my Navman setup. These are delayed photos from my last update post.

Here is the gilmer drive installed on my engine:

How the engine bay used to look:

How the engine bay looks now:

Another of the restyled bay:

The new chrome fuel line i purchased:

Below is an assortment of photos i took one fine evening about a month ago:

Some new photos of my brakes - much more visible through the new mags:

And that draws this update to a close - thanks to all those who took the time to read and to those who took the time to have a looksy at the photos. As always comments welcome

Cheers,

Jason