Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
JD CUSTOM

Old 03-11-08, 19:00   #76
Barnsey
Gold Members

Car: VLBT, Ke70 Daily
Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via MSN to Barnsey
does anyone know how to figure what a diff came out standard with by the i.d tag? i bought it under the impression it was a vl turbo diff but i.d tag says 3.08 so now im questioning whether its lsd and original disc brake? diff is currently out of car.

thanks in advance.

P/N 92035068
RATIO 3.08 SER.No 1111

cheers.
Barnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 19:07   #77
pmac
Ninja Sh!t

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via MSN to pmac
Open up the pan, take a look at the ring gear. It has the gear ratio stamped on it. An LSD center will have two rows of bolts on the left hand side of it.

Plus 3.08 ratio diffs only came out in a v8 thus it should be original disc brake and 28 spline. Oh and you really DONT want 3.08 gears in a turbo six youll be waiting ages for boost lol
Old 03-11-08, 19:18   #78
Barnsey
Gold Members

yeh its not turbo just yet... i'll get the diff gears changed before turbo. at least it'll be 28 spline
Old 04-11-08, 08:43   #79
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
Trader Rating: (23)
As discussed, this is the diff out of my car in question...I was told by the previous owner the diff was out of a Walkinshaw...its possible they just used the housing and kept the gear set and axles...hence the 3.08 tag on the housing....

My Berlina was a Factory Manual Turbo...

Theres no way known it had 3.08 highway gears in it....

If you dont wanna take the rear casing off, like I said in PM, measure the number of rotations of the wheels/hub to the number of turns of the tailshaft......and also pay attention to which way BOTH wheels/hubs turn when you rotate one of them...
NSNPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 09:13   #80
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrx3boy
if i do find a vlt or a vl v8 one, but its not lsd, i could just take it to a diff shop and get them to fit lsd centre to it am i correct?
Yes you can get a diff shop to put LSD in either 28 spline (VLT/V8) or 25 spline (N/A 6). I doubt you will find a VLT diff and "if" you find VL V8 diff you will also need to change the diff gears as 3.08 is way to long

Quote:
could i replace all the centres and axles etc with 28spline stuff ie would the 28spline stuff fit/bolt in to the 25spline housing?
Yes you can do that. However 28 spline axles are hard to come by in NZ

Quote:
even if i just know for sure from you guys what parts i need then i can just take it all to a diff shop to get it done - those two words shimming and backlash send shivers down my spine every time i read them in a thread lol.
Your best bet is to ring Tony at Steelie Gears (09 276 6297). He rebuilt my diff with 28 spline axles, 4 spider VR SS LSD and 3.45 gears for around $1,000. Thats with me taking the diff down to him out of the car

If you have less than 150rwkw I would just get him to put an LSD and disk brakes on your 25 spline diff
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 10:29   #81
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2QUIK2C
does anyone know how to figure what a diff came out standard with by the i.d tag? i bought it under the impression it was a vl turbo diff but i.d tag says 3.08 so now im questioning whether its lsd and original disc brake? diff is currently out of car.

thanks in advance.

P/N 92035068
RATIO 3.08 SER.No 1111

cheers.
That came from a VL V8, because only the V8s had such a ratio. Having said that, it should also have disc brakes and be 28 spline.

You may also like to view this thread:

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=21047
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 12:29   #82
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Is anyone listening?

That diff was out of my car...and the previous owner told me the diff itself was out of a Walkinshaw before being rebuilt...I can see no reason why they would not fit the 3.45 gears back into that diff/housing....and the car certainly didnt drive like it had 3.08 gears...it lit up everwhere.

Anyway, mark a line with a white texta on the hub and a line on the diff where the tailshaft bolts up to it....rotate the hub paying attention to how many rotations you get from the snout/front of the diff....

Or pull the plate off the back....could probably do with changing the oil in it anyway...
Old 04-11-08, 13:22   #83
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Oh, I had to read a few posts a couple of times before I understand what's going on here. Sorry NSNPWR.

I didn't know Walkys were fitted with 345s from factory. In that case, that makes it a bit fishy that the diff is now sporting a 3.08 tag. Also, why would someone swap a Walky diff into anything else? I guess someone could have wrecked a Walky if it was written off.

2QUIK2C, you need to take the cover off and see what ratio is stamped on the side of the ring gear.

Last edited by 5spdvl; 04-11-08 at 13:25.
Old 04-11-08, 13:47   #84
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Im not saying Walkys came with 3.45s but my car was a factory Berlina Turbo Manual with factory LSD, 28 spline axles and 4 wheel disc brakes....im thinking they would have taken the gear set out of the original diff and put it in that housing with the 3.08 tag on it...Muzza probably smacked a kerb and bent something...

I will be amazed if that diff has 3.08 gears in it because my car never felt sluggish or 'tall'...is definitely LSD...there's a driving shot in my thread under VL Turbos of the car laying down 2 lines! And a shot of when I raced it on slicks of the car smoking both wheels!

Sorry to rant but I dont want 2QUICK2C thinking ive sold him a dudd diff...ive owned that car 7 years and never had the diff out or looked at the tags...
Old 04-11-08, 13:55   #85
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Well, I can't really comment on what your diff is then. All I can advise 2QUIK2C is to check the ring gear stamp.
Old 04-11-08, 16:48   #86
Barnsey
Gold Members

dw i'll check the stamp on the ring gear, doesnt bother me that much if it is 3.08 i'll just change gear ratio to 3.9s or something lol... im sure you would of known what gears were in it anyway so i'll take your word with 3.45s

man i really need to change my user name! its gay
Old 05-11-08, 14:51   #87
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

PM SirGeo if you want to change it.
Old 05-12-08, 13:14   #88
julzvlsl
Player

Car:
hey,
i have a 87 vl sl, manual, non turbo, that i got off my grandfather (one owner since new) my question is, was it an option for disk rear on that model? because my car has never been touched, from the day he bought it off the showroom floor. I keep reading the post's here and people keep saying that it was lsd option and drum rear end for sl/exceutive.... then why does mine have disk rear end?

im confused? LOL

thanks guys

Julz
julzvlsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-08, 19:25   #89
LUXJET
yehboi

Car: PANNIC
Trader Rating: (5)
when i got my vl 5L it had a salisbury disc brake lsd diff? has anyone else ever heard of a vl v8 with a salisbury?

also i think the diff gears were 2.79 or wat ever they are...
Old 24-12-08, 08:18   #90
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I have heard of some VLs coming out with some unusual diff combos. Best to let us know what it says on the build tag in the engine bay, so we can compare it with the known diff combo ID codes.

AFAIK they're supposed to have BW78 3.08 28 spline 4 pinion open wheeler (unless optioned with LSD), with disc brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzvlsl
hey,
i have a 87 vl sl, manual, non turbo, that i got off my grandfather (one owner since new) my question is, was it an option for disk rear on that model? because my car has never been touched, from the day he bought it off the showroom floor. I keep reading the post's here and people keep saying that it was lsd option and drum rear end for sl/exceutive.... then why does mine have disk rear end?

im confused? LOL

thanks guys

Julz
As mentioned in the first post of the thread, disc brakes and LSD were optional on all models. Menaing, your grandfather optioned it with disc brakes. Check what codes are listed on thebuild plate, the disc brake disc diff code will be there (if it's never been modified).
Old 30-12-08, 20:40   #91
bubalu
CHUBCAPS

Car: 87 VL Berlina Turbo, N14 pulsar=daily
Trader Rating: (8)
what measures (if any) do you guys take when changing the diff gears to correct the speedo reading?
Old 31-12-08, 16:36   #92
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Most would take none I would guess, but you can experiment with different diameter rims (bigger rims equal a higher actual speed).

Otherwise, I believe Jaycar make a speedo adjuster box (that may only be for electronic speedos, like VN onwards); or even VDO themselves.
Old 31-12-08, 21:29   #93
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu
what measures (if any) do you guys take when changing the diff gears to correct the speedo reading?

read this thread....
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...ight=diff+gear
Old 09-01-09, 12:51   #94
TurboKiwi
Player

Car: 88 VLCT, 01 vx wagon, 89 ZR4 Galant
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to TurboKiwi
Can a 25 spline single wheeler, take the lsd guts outa a 28 spline lsd. Making the 25 spline single wheeler a lsd ?
Old 09-01-09, 13:53   #95
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

No. The 28 spline LSD has 28 spline carriers; transferring the "guts" makes the recipient centre 28 spline.

Besides, open wheeler and LSD centres have completely different casings - the "guts" wouldn't fit into an open wheeler, and vice versa.

You're better off getting a complete disc to disc 28 spline LSD.
Old 28-04-09, 16:21   #96
bjr18684
Player

Car: VL Berlina Wagon
I have a VL wagon with a 25 spline housing and I want to get it built for 28 spline or maybe aftermarket 31 spline gear (full spool and new axles, and discs). Apart from the lower shock mounts, are there any differences at all between the wagon and sedan housings?

I have been told by a diff shop that I'd need to find a 28 spline housing and get the mounts cut off my diff and them rewelded to the new housing with all the good bits.

Now I want to know if this is true or if I need to find another diff shop. To me this sounds like BS. Are they trying to get more work for themselves (or maybe just more money)?
bjr18684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 17:51   #97
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

Trader Rating: (39)
its is bs, as u know the only diff is the shock mounts.

any sedan/wagon guts will go into your wagon housing, wether it be 25/28 spline.

just do what i did and get a cheap sedan 28pline diff and transfer it into your housing, job done
Psi_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 21:28   #98
87calais
legend

Car: '87 VLCT Manual, '11 VE SS-V Manual
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to 87calais
And for anyone querying IRS conversions It has been done on 2 VL's i know of, big job, read this page to get an idea of the work involved.
Old 03-06-09, 21:58   #99
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Got a link there 87calais? I'd be very interested in seeing such a conversion.
Old 03-06-09, 23:49   #100
airbagsVL
Player

Car: vl turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
i remember reading about a guy who done it, was a huge job, he put the full running gear from a r32 gtr into it including the 4wd system lol.
airbagsVL is offline   Reply With Quote