Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
Tyres Now

Old 13-03-08, 23:15   #1
VLAero6
Player

Car: SL Turbo Aero Kitted[JETRB6], Berlina Turbo Daily
Trader Rating: (8)
My N/A VL Aero - NOW TURBO

I have been visiting this site ever since i bought my VL so i thought i would post my car up. Ive had the car for just over a year now.
The cars pretty much stock besides the Aero kit, 18 xhp wheels, extractors and 2.5" exhaust.The cars also lowered on king springs. I want to get a turbo for it someday but at the moment ill have to deal with N/A. Heres some pics. Let me know what you guys think.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic of the engine bay. The old girls still running strong.
[IMG][/IMG]
VLAero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-08, 19:31   #2
burchenal
Ha Ha .... quicker

Car: One word: ThunderCougarFalconBird
Trader Rating: (7)
Got to say i love the aero kit with the SL nose cone, black suits its damm well too, nice work.
burchenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-08, 10:24   #3
PSIWOG
Gold Members

Car: Audi
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to PSIWOG
sheit thats nice looking car
Old 15-03-08, 16:18   #4
CTs2 Sabo
DOSE IT

Car: XR6 Turbro
Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via MSN to CTs2 Sabo
black looks awesome good work buddy , you build it up or buy it? are you on ya p's if not turbo it
Old 15-03-08, 16:48   #5
VLAero6
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTs2 Sabo
black looks awesome good work buddy , you build it up or buy it? are you on ya p's if not turbo it
Nah i bought the car the way it is. Im doing my best to maintain it. Yeah i am on my P's but i get off them soon(October) so im saving up for a turbo conversion. I am under the old p plater rules in which i can have a turbo but not exceed 150kw per tone. When i do eventually turbo my car i would want more than that. Plus a nice dose pipe.
Old 16-03-08, 18:27   #6
VLAero6
Player

Yesterday i went and degreased my engine for the first time since i bought the car. There were a few hiccups. The car wouldnt start due to being water logged despite the fact that i covered the dizzi, coil, air box, battery and fuse box with plastic bags. Just before the battery went flat the car started. Heres a pic of the engine now + some other pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 16-03-08, 18:32   #7
vlwagz
Gold Members

Car: VLT berlina wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
looks real nice man but yeah definetly needs a turbo.
vlwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-08, 20:18   #8
72 of 150
:: pimpin ::

Car: Weekender - HSV SV88, Daily - Silver Calais Replica
Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to 72 of 150
Looks awesome mate.

Is there a section missing from the rear bumper?? Would look good with that added.

Dont stress about not having a turbo - take your time and do it properly the first time!!

Stevie
VL Calais HSV SV88 - Build #72
72 of 150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-08, 00:08   #9
VLAero6
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 of 150
Looks awesome mate.

Is there a section missing from the rear bumper?? Would look good with that added.

Dont stress about not having a turbo - take your time and do it properly the first time!!

Stevie
Yeah there is a section missing in the rear bumper. I didnt put the kit on the previous owner did. I think its cos the exhaust tip wouldnt allow that piece to fit. But year when i do eventually go turbo, it will be done properly.I know theres heaps of places that turbo the RB30 but has anyone had experience working with rajab or bresciani racing? Ive visited there sites and they are getting insane 1/4 mile times.
Old 11-08-08, 22:26   #10
VLAero6
Player

Hey guys been a while since i last posted so i thought i would update. Cars at the panel beaters getting a calais front put on. Front bumper is getting a respray(heaps of stone chips). I am also getting some genuine refurbished headlights and indicators as my old ones are worn out and the chrome has peeled. The only thing is my panel beater is having troubles alligning the eyelids onto my car . The cars been at the shop for 7 days already as they are waiting for the electrician to wire up the motor. What should i do? Do i take it to another place to get done or should i stick with this shop? The eyelids, nose cone and bumper have already been painted, the only thing that needs to be done is to assemble everything.

Also over the last couple months ive had a bit of bad luck with the car. Brakes failed so i got a new brake master cylinder installed. Shortly after clutch failed so got a new clutch master cylinder. Then car kept stopping on me. Found out it was the ignition coil and the distributor so they were replaced aswell. A few cosmetic things were replaced also. Got new spark plugs ignition leads,internal fuel pump, external fuel pump and washer overflow bottle changed. Also got a fuel injection service. Car runs like a dream now, the only thing holding me back is the panel beater. Hopefully all goes well. Will post pics of car as soon as i get it back.
Old 16-08-08, 02:33   #11
VLAero6
Player

...Update...

Got the car back from the panel beater thursday night after work. Calais front is now on and i am pleased with the way it turned out. Bad thing is my air con fan and cigaret lighter dont work for some uknown reason after recieving the car.I checked the fuse for the air con fan but it was fine. I also rang the panel beater and notified him of whats wrong and they should be fixed this weekend if not next. But overall im happy with the appearance of the eyleids.

Here are some pics i took of it the morning after recieving the car:

Old 16-08-08, 03:20   #12
HDT-VLCLE
The irregular one

Trader Rating: (34)
looks much better with the calais front on! love it

Now just hurry up and slap a pidgeon on the side of that block!
[/RANT]
HDT-VLCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-08, 17:32   #13
VLAero6
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDT-VLCLE
looks much better with the calais front on! love it

Now just hurry up and slap a pidgeon on the side of that block!
Yeah thanx mate. Will be turboing very soon as i get off my P's in October . Just saving cash at the moment so i can have a nice street setup. Im looking to have a drive in drive out service to get the car turboed, can anyone advise me as to which performance shop i should take it too. Im looking to spend around 7-8k on the turbo setup.

cheers
Old 16-08-08, 19:37   #14
vlwagz
Gold Members

Car: VLT berlina wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
looks mint with the calais front on man.
should get a decent street setup for 7-8k.
vlwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-08, 22:51   #15
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
looks excellent. i would say stick with it if you are happy with the body / kit / interior. also its a rust free car with a driveline which you are familiar with. any new car is a package of positives and negatives some which you will not find until they rear their ugly heads.

i love the eyelids and as for the reco lights did they just polish the glass and repolace the reflectors? or were the reflectors re chromed?hey look excellent anyway. as for performance shops there are more options than just bresciani and rajab. you need to find someone who you get along well with and trust to drive and work on your car. i have heard bad things about both rajab and bresciani but at the same time they are large workshops and have earned their reputation.
Old 20-08-08, 20:05   #16
VLAero6
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
looks excellent. i would say stick with it if you are happy with the body / kit / interior. also its a rust free car with a driveline which you are familiar with. any new car is a package of positives and negatives some which you will not find until they rear their ugly heads.

i love the eyelids and as for the reco lights did they just polish the glass and repolace the reflectors? or were the reflectors re chromed?hey look excellent anyway. as for performance shops there are more options than just bresciani and rajab. you need to find someone who you get along well with and trust to drive and work on your car. i have heard bad things about both rajab and bresciani but at the same time they are large workshops and have earned their reputation.
Thanx bro for the advice. The headlights were swapped over with my old ones. Im guessing they just polished the glass and rechromed the reflectors.
Old 20-08-08, 23:22   #17
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
does the glass still have the lion symbol on the front? or does it say tyc or something else?
Old 21-08-08, 21:03   #18
VLAero6
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
does the glass still have the lion symbol on the front? or does it say tyc or something else?
Both headlights have the lion on the front, the panel beater made sure that the swap overs were not fakes. Before i got the calais front the car only had 1 genuine headlight(front right) but now both are genuine.
Old 03-02-09, 21:16   #19
VLAero6
Player

....Update....

A bit has happened since i last posted. the car now has a 28 spline lsd in it now. Big thanks to Chris(vltrb-0) who not only sold me the diff but also fitted it for me, top bloke. Saved me **** loads. Car also has new berlina tail lights and k&n high flow panel filter. My plans for the car were to do a full engine rebuild with forgies etc, but that went out the window when i purchased a factory burgundy vlt 5 speed from GM weapon(Also top bloke). My plan now is to use the burgandy vl as a doner and do a driveline swap(long motor and tailshaft) from the burgundy vl into my black vl.

Since buying the car i have found a few problems. It has a radiator leak and looks like it is coming from the actual tank. Also has an oil leak and is coming from the rear side of the engine(could be rear main). The alternator also looks like its finished as i bought a high performance battery and the car just runs on 12V(should be around 14V i think) with no radio ,lights or anything, so that will be replaced. Other than that car looks to be ok no lifter noise or anything. Good thing is that my mechanic told me it will cost bugger all to fix everything as it will all be done when the engine is out. The car has done 181,XXX k's. Also brake master cylinder and stuff will also be swaped over for improved pedal feel. Transplanting a whole A8 motor will save me a lot of headaches in the long run hopefully.

Heres some pics of my black vl and a mates sp23 after i gave it a good wax.

Disc brake rear end

Both cars have been booked in next week for the engine swap. Hopefully all goes well as i have wanted to turbo my vl for some time. Will update as soon as its done!.
Old 03-02-09, 21:45   #20
AERO88
"IN THE MAKING"

Car: 88 VL SL
Trader Rating: (6)
looks awesome mate, keep us updated...
AERO88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 18:15   #21
VLAero6
Player

Finally, after 3 long weeks i finally picked up my car from the mechanics after work on friday. A8 turbo block and mx7 gear box are now in and i am pleased with how it turned out. Just after the mechanic dropped the motor in i took it for a test drive. The car was splattering had no balls and wouldnt rev over 4000rpm, so the mechanic kept the car for a little longer trying to figure out what was wrong. At first it was a suspected fuel delivery problem,with the mechanic swapping over fuel pumps but nothing changed. He then tried changing the distributor and coil but still the same. After heaps of ****ing around the mechanic found out that the afm had died. I was a bit dissapointed it took him so long to figure it out but in the end it was worth the wait. The timing belt, clutch, spark plugs, afm and fuel pumps where all replaced as long with the car getting a general service(engine oil, transmission oil and diff oil flushed out).

The car goes pretty good for a complete stocko. Pulls hardest between 2500-4500rpm but runs pretty hot so the next step will be too slap a cooler on and boost it to 12psi or so. Car also sounds alot quieter and less beefy without the extractors on but i guess turbo spool sounds better anyway.

Old 03-03-09, 21:28   #22
vltrb-0
The Regulars

Car: ke57, a ke70 with an ls1 and a turbo
Trader Rating: (26)
has come up really good man engine looks like its at home, go a GK tech no holes cooler kit and your set, fit it yourself as well very easy save you cash
vltrb-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 21:55   #23
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Looks great man, come along way! Did it used to be red? Just judging by the firewall. Looks really good with the Calais front on it.

As Chris said, the GK Tech kit as super easy to fit.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 22:02   #24
CTs2 Sabo
DOSE IT

Car: XR6 Turbro
Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via MSN to CTs2 Sabo
wow lookz good
Old 04-03-09, 21:11   #25
VLAero6
Player

thanks for the comments boys. Yes the car use to be red. The last owner resprayed the car black. Ill definately be throwing on a cooler of some sort in the next few weeks as the cars running pretty hot. This was evident as the top main radiator hose blew while i was driving back from uni today. I replaced it with a standard hose but have also ordered in a pair of gates racing radiator hoses(top and bottom) which should arrive on friday just to make sure it doesnt happen again from the high running temp. Not sure if i will get a gk tech cooler as i have been told by a few people that the cooler cores they use are cheap chinese cores but then again thats only what i have been told not something i know as a fact.