CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 06-04-09, 18:43   #26
Boyracer
Polarized

Car: VL 5.0, VS 3.8
Trader Rating: (19)
Silver and grey look tough on Calais, love the exhaust too.
The VL V8 only came in auto unless it was a Brock with the T5 conversion, it would be worth saving up for one, they are a different car with 5 gears.
Old 07-04-09, 09:33   #27
Waughy
Gold Members

Car: VZ Wagon.
Trader Rating: (11)
Thanks. Hopefully I'll have it long enough to be able to afford a respray as it's looking a bit sad att he moment. But I'd rather have it running well first before looking good. No point having a nice looking car that runs like crap. Manual would be nice, that's on the wait and see list. Exhaust has made a reasonable difference, though the heat valve is annoying when it starts to rattle. May have sorted that but, the bolts on the brackets holding it all together were loose and there's a spacer between the valve and upper end of the header pipe, I think it was the part making the rattle, once things warmed up and it had room to move. Have sorted it now I think, just waiting on shocks and bearing plates to rebuild the front suspension then I'll kick it over and see how it runs.
Waughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 06:59   #28
Waughy
Gold Members

Big spanner in the works. Found coolant in the oil and ended up removing the manifold to investigate only to find the water jackets severely corroded. Thankfully it's only the manifold, heads are still fine, so it's time to hunt for a replacement manifold.
Pics:

Last edited by Waughy; 25-07-11 at 12:37.
Old 06-01-10, 08:26   #29
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

Car: BF XR8 Ute
Trader Rating: (14)
spewing i think i just threw a standard VK/VL manifold out, ill have a hunt around work for you if i find it you can have it for nothin
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 08:53   #30
Waughy
Gold Members

That would be good if it's still around and in good nick. I missed a good one on ebay about 2 weeks ago, went for $44, had hardly any corrosion on the water jackets. Next option is something like an Eddlebrock Performer, though I can't afford or really justify the cost. Another option, someone on another forum mention this aluminium putty stuff called Devcon, I looked it up and it sounds pretty good, not sure if it would help me but.
Old 06-01-10, 17:01   #31
Boyracer
Polarized

See if you can get GMC in Victoria to weld it, hes the only bloke that can weld magnesium bike engine cases, ledgend.
Old 06-01-10, 17:43   #32
Waughy
Gold Members

I dropped it off to the old man this arvo, he's going to pressure clean it at work and take it to someone he knows local who can weld alluminium. If he can't do it I'll look into the devcon, or bite the bullet and get an Edelbrock performer. I've checked and they have one for the VL with all the pollution gear, which I'll need as the car now needs a blue slip for rego. If I can somehow afford to do it, I'll go EFI, but not looking likely.
Old 18-01-10, 14:24   #33
Waughy
Gold Members

Started to grind the corrosion and went through the wall of the water jacket, it was that deep. I've managed to score myself a reproduction manifold made by Kilkenny Castings, it's based on the GRPIII manifolds except it still has the ribbing at the base on the inlet plenum. Got it for less than half the normal price, and it's almost brand new with next to no use. Have some ACL gaskets on order, same design and materials as the OEM items, just waiting on it all to be delivered and I'll start the job of putting the old girl back together again.

Last edited by Waughy; 01-02-10 at 12:47.
Old 26-02-10, 21:43   #34
VlDUBC
MISMYVL

Car: Silver Calais
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to VlDUBC
howd it all go?
don't do it
VlDUBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-10, 06:55   #35
Waughy
Gold Members

Still at it. Had to port match the new manifold as the casting is pretty average there, but after a few hours with a ******* file I got it sorted. A couple of walls I took about 3mm off. Tidied up the heads and cleaned out the bolt holes, got the new manifold back on last night. I had bought a set of OEM valley seals but they have been lost in the mail, so I had to go with the corks, I just hope I've sealed all the gaskets etc properly. Now I'm slowly putting it all back together, hit another snag with the bracket for the throttle cable where it's sitting hard against one of the intake runners so I can't bolt it down flat. Probably just bend it a bit to make it sit better. Getting a new dizzy cap and rotor, going the smaller size as the factory thing is a bit ugly IMO. Still have one show stopper in that the driver side thermal vacuum switch is busted and I'm having a hell of a time finding another. I need it before I can fill the cooling system and start the car, hopefully I'll get one soon, I'm dead keen to have her running again.
Old 28-02-10, 20:25   #36
Boyracer
Polarized

I reckon it,ll fly, the inlet manifold you showed me had the ripples in the bottom, apparently its a Bathurst spec thing from the day, I got the old one fixed but it wasnt a cheap fix.
Old 03-03-10, 07:42   #37
Waughy
Gold Members

Hopefully it might go a little better. It's all back together now, just need to sort the driver side thermal vac switch and I can fill it and run it, if it will go. I pulled the filter off Monday and it was like mud running out of it, so I'm a little concerned about the oil pump and pickup. Got a smaller dizzy cap and rotor to suit, next will be leads and I want to fit some iridium plugs, but the current ones haven't done much work so they can stay for now.
Then it's rego and I can drive it, but probably not tuntil around August when I do my tax, unless I can save the fees before then.
I thought the old one wouldn't be a cheap fix, that's whey I went looking for another. Hopefully it'll do the job for you.

Last edited by Waughy; 03-03-10 at 08:28.
Old 03-03-10, 16:19   #38
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Trader Rating: (1)
That devcon stuff is very expensive, but its worth its weight in gold in plenty of applications.
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 16:35   #39
Waughy
Gold Members

I didn't end up looking for it. Used the JB weld stuff to fill a couple of bolt holes that would have left my EGR ports open and it filled them quite well. Probably would have done a decent job of the original manifold if I had stuck with it, but too much mucking around for my liking and ability with doing such repairs.
Old 08-04-10, 07:40   #40
Waughy
Gold Members

Well she's all back together and running, small fuel leak where the fuel line screws into the carby which I'll sort when I have more time. Also need to do tranny oil (pan gasket has a small leak anyway), and replace a couple of o-rings on some power steer lines that have slight leaks and it should be good for a blue slip. Still got a fair wait but I hope to have it on the road again towards the end of the year if all goes well.
Pic of the new manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	23099  
Old 21-09-10, 11:11   #41
Waughy
Gold Members

Well, close to 6 months later, and things are going backwards, in a sort of good way but. I've decided to let it sit out of rego a bit longer so in the mean time I'm doing some stripping down and cleaning.
First off is the front end, bumper is off and headlights are out for a clean. Lenses and reflectors are in good shape, just quite grubby so should clean up well.
Next on the list are the sideskirts. They'll be coming off so I can get in behind them and clean out all the much that's built up over the last 24 years. While they're off I'll give them a good clean and attempt to repaint them, bring them back from thier current grey/white look to the matt black they should be.
I've got plenty of time so it'll just be little bits here and there, hopefully I don't uncover anything bad, it's mostly cleaning and tidying up I'm looking to do. If all goes well it should be back on the road in the next 18 months or so, see what happens.
Old 21-09-10, 19:36   #42
Boyracer
Polarized

Sounds good, my sill covers were full of dirt too, hopefully I can get my 5.0 up and running by the end of the year too and we can get a few VLs on a cruize before Christmas.
Old 21-09-10, 19:40   #43
Waughy
Gold Members

Yeah I've noticed a bit of **** caught up under the ends. Would like to think I could have it back on the road by the end of the year just so I can drive it, but think I'm better off to save the money that would go towards rego for other things. I'd love to respray it right now, motor is still running fine for 300k, so a rebuild isn't necessary just yet.
Old 02-09-11, 20:48   #44
Waughy
Gold Members

Side skirts painted and refitted, new front bar to go on for blue slip, needs painting eventually. New aftermarket headlights fitted, original lenses need some work then I might get them back on. With the lights, the extra white piece that the Parker globe goes into isn't there, and the original fell apart, had to wrap some tape around he globe holder so it sits tight. Also found the dust boot that sits over the back of the doesn't sit tight on the new assembly, had to tape it on. Otherwise they look great, and with new globes they work a heap better than the old setup. Slowly making progress.

Last edited by Waughy; 04-09-11 at 10:15.
Old 10-09-11, 17:58   #45
Waughy
Gold Members

Registered and back on the road. Feels great to gave it out again. Need get the windows tinted I think, pretty warm today, and the aircon wasn't doing a great deal, but it needs a regas too.

Last edited by Waughy; 29-05-18 at 12:29.
Old 22-11-11, 07:18   #46
Waughy
Gold Members

300,000 k's clocked up on the old girl. Struggling a bit to maintain interest at the moment (funding). Just keeping it running for now.
Old 23-02-12, 08:35   #47
Waughy
Gold Members

Sold it last night. Off to a good home, new owner has no plans to mollest it which I'm pleased to hear.

Last edited by Waughy; 18-07-12 at 11:30.
Old 07-09-14, 22:55   #48
fleas
COLONY SAVAGE

Car: 1988 Executive; 1987 Executive
Trader Rating: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waughy View Post
Ok, here's the new look, seal is a perfect fit and looks good IMO, not the same as the factory kit but at least this will stop water getting in and delay, if not prevent any future rusting.
How much you get charged for this repair.
Am thinking of doing this to my WScreen for a peace of mind.
You reckon O'brein do this?

Cheers
Old 08-09-14, 06:31   #49
Waughy
Gold Members

It was done as part of a rust repair, all up was about $800. O'Briens could do it but you'll need a panel beater to sort the top corners out as you'll have a small gap, as well as the mounts for the clips on the factory trim to fill in.
Old 08-09-14, 12:57   #50
fleas
COLONY SAVAGE

Car: 1988 Executive; 1987 Executive
Trader Rating: (27)
Thanks mate!