Old 20-10-03, 13:07   #1
walky59
Player

Car: VX R8 Clubby
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to walky59
oil in the airbox

Hi There,

I am wondering if any walky owners out there know's of the best solution to stop the oil getting blown through the little 3 inch breather into the airbox from the left hand head. The workshop supplement doesnt say anything on the issue.

Is a catch can the only solution? Is the problem the same from the pcv hose on the right hand head? If so do I need 2 catch cans?

It seems at its worst when I am up it around the 4500 - 6000RPM's.
Old 21-10-03, 13:06   #2
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
Yeap... An oil - air catch can will slove it.

Dunno about 2 catch cans though... Should be able to use the 1 for both of them???

Can anyone else confirm this??
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY
Old 23-10-03, 15:20   #3
Stretch_W
Player

Car: Stretch Walkinshaw, VHSS 355i, Hilux Surf, AP6 Valiant
Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to Stretch_W
You only need one catch can. You can stick a ignition stater out of a flurosant globe down the hose if you must.
If you want to run a hose of each head just make sure the catch can has 2 entires, otherwise just run it into one hose. Make sure you have a return tube. Take some time to take your twin throtts off and clean thd plenum and runners because that oil does find its way down and it will cause detonation.
Old 27-10-03, 15:33   #4
walky59
Player

Thanks guys, the plumbing sucks ass .... I am getting mighty cranky getting around that manifold sometimes to work on things.

Patience is the go

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Evan.
Old 08-11-03, 23:06   #5
Stretch_W
Player

Car: Stretch Walkinshaw, VHSS 355i, Hilux Surf, AP6 Valiant
Send a message via MSN to Stretch_W
walky 59...when you take your manifold off, or whatever you plan to do with it...just make sure the restrictor has been removed from the secondary and also cut a bit of vacum hose and place it over the secondary butterfly pin....where the primary comes around to open the secondary...dont go any bigger than a bit of vacum tube though...I found that this got rid of any flat spots in my power curve.

If you have allready done all that sorry for wasting yourtime...on the other hand if you want me to explain any of that further feel free to ask
Old 23-11-05, 10:24   #6
WildWalky
Player

Car:
Good to hear I am not the only one with this problem.

There is actually a service bulletin about this which resulted in changes to the breathers. I don't have a copy or know the details but I think what happened was the later build #s were supposed to have a link from the left hand to the right hand breathers and perhaps the opposing vaccuum from the plenum and the t/body was sufficient to minimise any oil leakage.

I am at work so I can't go and have a look at the car but did you guys find that the driver's side breather causes much oil to go into the plenum? I guess the oil through the second throttle body is more obvious.

In order to clean out the plenum chamber etc is it possible to do just by removing the throttle bodies or should the plenum cover come off? Is it okay to use degreaser in there?

Do you have any specific recommendations for an oil catch can? eg baffled or baffle-less. What about the units with an air filter on the top? How much oil generally collects in the catch can because it looks like a fair bit ends up in the second throttle body/airbox.

I am considering trying to mount it up high so that the oil drains back via the pcv breather (mine has no pcv in it, I am not sure if this is standard?) back into the rocker cover. Either that or maybe using a mushroom shaped mini-catch-can directly into the rocker port with the same goal in mind.

Stretch Walky referred to a return line in one of these postings. Where were you suggesting that the return line should be plumbed? via the dipstick or something? I would have thought the self-draining arrangement would be easier but maybe it won't work.

If anyone has any suggestions of what they have done or pics that'd be great.

Thanks a lot!
Old 23-11-05, 12:18   #7
walky59
Player

Drivers side isn't too bad with passing oil.

I think I have seen what you are talking about with the linked breather setup - the guys in holden parts sent me something when I was trying to explain I wanted a new right angled hose for the breather grommit.

What I ended up doing was putting a plug in the manifold on the drivers side and re-routing 2 3/4" hoses to a external venting catch-can - no more oil problem in the plenum / airbox ... its such a good thing!!

Incidently replace your head grommits (VL V8 parts) and you can get the right angle hoses (they are off a old holden 6 - 202 believe it or not) while you are there .. mine had all hardend over time .. just be careful not to get to much crap (read old rubber chunks) in on your rockers.

Best way to clean the plenum is to crack the cover open and get in there. Might be an idea to get your injectors cleaned while its all apart any way.

My intake was like gold plated in oil crustyness. Get in there and clean it up .. do the mouths of cross tubes as well. A bit of Lock-tight or something nice to seal it back up and your done. Anything that shifts baked on grease will be alright .. just dont go spraying tonnes of crap down the runners - put it on the rag first then clean. Fix up your airfilter and split the airbox and give it a good going over .. now your air filter will last!

I have no drain back - just empty the can - much easier. I get most of the oil output when I am giving in a royal flogging in the mountains.

Most importantly .. let it warm up ... that will help alot to minimise how much is getting out through the breathers.

Hope it all works out for you.

Ev.