Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > walkinshaw.net > General
G-Cylinder

Old 12-06-07, 18:52   #1
sly
Player

Car: Flash suzuki sierra
Trader Rating: (0)
Today Tonight story.

Noticed last friday there was a story on the current market for aussie cars. The bulk of the story was on the phase three and the current exploding prices. they also mentioned that it has dramaticaly affected all other aussie muscle cars too.When asked which car shows the most potential for the future they closed in on a walkinshaw saying there prices are set to sky rocket. The people buying these cars are investors but they also seem to have a passion for motor sport and cars with racing heritage are the most desired.They say they are now a attractive investment and although many prices are sky high there are still some affordable models with good investment potential.
Street commodores also mentions the $150,000 walkie that sold recently saying pretty much the same thing that prices are only going one way.
So i guess what im saying is that if your thinking about getting one ,Do it NOW as they arent getting any cheaper.At worst if the financial commitmant is to much in a years time you could sell and not lose a thing.

Last edited by sly; 12-06-07 at 19:29.
Old 12-06-07, 19:54   #2
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
Yeah I did hear about that but I missed it!

Im seeing if a mate of mine taped it or not.

Good news for us walky owners though
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY
Old 12-06-07, 21:14   #3
vlgra
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
Hell yer
Old 12-06-07, 21:18   #4
disco
Player

Car: VL Walkinshaw
Although it may seem good for current owners, it really is a pity.....it also means most of us cannot go out and buy and enjoy more of these wonderful cars. The fact is the investor will most likely not be a car enthusiast, and quite rightly will wish to protect their investment....hence these cars will not see the light of day!

The wrong people are buying these cars and it's a damn shame!
Old 12-06-07, 21:20   #5
I&J
Player

Car: BT1 '88, Group A SS '88, V6 Hilux '06, VP Senator 5000i
Is it up on you tube?

How many Walki's exist now after near on twenty years do you think...still around the 650 mark? How many could've been written off and stolen? More than a hundred...you wouldn't think so?
Old 12-06-07, 23:51   #6
blownhsv
Player

Car: SS sedan and XR8 ute
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Although it may seem good for current owners, it really is a pity.....it also means most of us cannot go out and buy and enjoy more of these wonderful cars. The fact is the investor will most likely not be a car enthusiast, and quite rightly will wish to protect their investment....hence these cars will not see the light of day!

The wrong people are buying these cars and it's a damn shame!

its a point but Walky's have always been for sale and were always a cheap enough way to buy an HSV. They have maintained a steady price since the early 90's (around $30k). But when they were that price alot of people thought it was too much for a VL. I bought my first one coz i liked them. I always thought i could at worst get my money back or lose little. Now that risk is getting greater so if a walky is too much for you, look at other potentials. VN Group A? How bout the potential of a VP GTS? its the only 5 litre HSV GTS. HAs the 4 bolt block and D port heads. Plus it revived the name......and if it dont go up in value, u didnt pay much so no loss!! VN clubby? SV5000?? all cheap potentials
Old 13-06-07, 11:05   #7
disco
Player

Car: VL Walkinshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownhsv
its a point but Walky's have always been for sale and were always a cheap enough way to buy an HSV. They have maintained a steady price since the early 90's (around $30k). But when they were that price alot of people thought it was too much for a VL. I bought my first one coz i liked them. I always thought i could at worst get my money back or lose little. Now that risk is getting greater so if a walky is too much for you, look at other potentials. VN Group A? How bout the potential of a VP GTS? its the only 5 litre HSV GTS. HAs the 4 bolt block and D port heads. Plus it revived the name......and if it dont go up in value, u didnt pay much so no loss!! VN clubby? SV5000?? all cheap potentials
Hi mate, sorry my post may have been a little unclear. I actually already own a Walkinshaw. Also an XY GT replica. My point is that with the prices going the way they are, it's getting harder to add to your collection or buy and enjoy other cars. For example I would love to own a genuine VK BROCK Grp A, however with people now refusing $100K, the chances of me getting my butt into one is very small.

One point you made...with regards to VN GRP A's, I believe they are way under-valued....it's worth snapping one of them up before they also become untouchable.
Old 13-06-07, 16:42   #8
I&J
Player

Would love a blue VK SS, but I've too missed the boat there money wise. A Brock VL SS is probably my next option at this stage.
Old 13-06-07, 16:48   #9
tha don
Player

Car: VS Statesman SIII, 1971 Mercedes 350SL
Trader Rating: (3)
makes me wish i had have bought that walkie for 25 grand 2 years ago when i wanted to... i could have ended up in 10 years time selling it for 200 grand or something ridiculous like that...ahh well
Old 13-06-07, 18:01   #10
sly
Player

Car: Flash suzuki sierra
I am kinda in a predicament at the moment as to what to do with my car.My job keeps going from safe as to possible unemployment due to changing circumstances within my industry which makes it hard for me to plan my future moves.I have a large morgage ( Two actually). And as the major income earner, a loss of my job may make it very dificult until i find a new job.I may end up selling my car in the near future to give me breathing space incase of unemployment. This sadly would mean i would be out of the market and im sure i will never be able to buy back in as prices will leave me behind.I will avoid it as long as possible but i cant risk my family just for a car.Hopefully things will settle down.
Old 13-06-07, 18:57   #11
I&J
Player

Your predicament doesn't sound too good Sly...however a 60K capital gain not taxed certainly doesn't come around too many times in ones lifetime!
Old 13-06-07, 19:49   #12
blownhsv
Player

i know how u feel Sly...i was going to sell mine awhile ago due to personal reasons but since has been settled.. My biggest fear now is the worth of these things now. I dont know what u other walky owners are like but i really dont enjoy mine like i did ages ago due to the higher theft risks or getting into an accident. I always thought if it was worth more then beauty, unfortunately its not. I did take mine on a 1100km round trip last week. It was good in some ways but not in others. i still take it for a cruise occasionally but its not the fun it was... The other thing thats annoying is being asked what i want for it (its not even for sale). I dont know what its worth, i guess like anyone its what the buyer is wiling to pay. Sorry ppl...these are just thoughts ive had for quite awhile which really takes the shine off owning such a unique car
Old 13-06-07, 20:14   #13
NZ SSGRPA
Player

Car:
Yeah blownhsv, I feel your pain! when I first got my walky 4 years ago I used to drive it heaps but could never bring myself to leave it anywhere out of my sight! haha, now it doesn't get out very often, too worried about it getting dammaged =(. Although I do Know of a one owner walky with 70,000km on the clock the guy wants $36,000 for, that I'm seriously thinking about buying considering today's prices! what the hell can't have too many walky's!! haha.
Old 13-06-07, 20:22   #14
blownhsv
Player

ive had 2 walkies.... sold the other one over 5 years ago now though. investment wise yeah id buy it too mate.. for enjoyment i reckon id buy something different. I still want a VP GTS, or a fully optioned SV5000 in green. both of those are still cheap to buy.
Old 13-06-07, 20:32   #15
NZ SSGRPA
Player

Car:
Yeah I wouldn't mind a GTSR, there's one on trade me at the moment, dealer want's $90,000 though and it's had a supercharger added! I bought my S2 VT GTS 300 last year with a blown engine, had it rebuilt, now put's out around 360kw, handle's mean too!! have yet to wind it out to top speed though, had it to 240kp/h.

Last edited by NZ SSGRPA; 13-06-07 at 20:35.
Old 13-06-07, 20:33   #16
I&J
Player

Big fan of the HSV VPs...and I certainly remember drouling over a new GTS when I first saw one on the street. They're still a damn nice car, not quick by today standards obviously, but none the less a good package for it's time. Can't see as to why the vaule of GTS' wouldn't increase over the next few years.
Old 13-06-07, 20:39   #17
NZ SSGRPA
Player

Car:
Yeah there's heap's of LTD edition early model HSV's/HDT's never know what you,ll find!
Old 13-06-07, 20:40   #18
oma72
"i just got two"

Car: Walky 193,Gtsr 22,GTR XU1 replica,Yamaha R1 01
The next car i'm chasing for my collection is a red VB SL 253 auto as i'm after a run around car.The SV5000 and VP GTS are nice cars but they don't have the raced-at-bathurst history like the Walkys/VK group a/VN group a/VL group a.
Old 13-06-07, 21:35   #19
I&J
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma72
The SV5000 and VP GTS are nice cars but they don't have the raced-at-bathurst history like the Walkys/VK group a/VN group a/VL group a.
True, but the limited numbers built should be the key to their success in the future you'd think.
Old 13-06-07, 22:16   #20
blownhsv
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma72
The next car i'm chasing for my collection is a red VB SL 253 auto as i'm after a run around car.The SV5000 and VP GTS are nice cars but they don't have the raced-at-bathurst history like the Walkys/VK group a/VN group a/VL group a.

the VP GTS has links to racing though...remember the whole engine is VN Group A minus the twin throttle. and the bodykit is mostly Group A. Its just an opinion ive had for ages that it would one day increase thats all..
Old 15-06-07, 09:03   #21
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
What do you guys think about the VR Senator 215 or GTS 215? They are pretty cheap at the moment. Factory 355 stroker & T56 for $15k is pretty good value

I'm thinking about buying one as I can't see the price falling much more
Old 17-06-07, 19:13   #22
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnnjxoKYAe8

Here is the link to the story!!!!
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY
Old 17-06-07, 20:18   #23
I&J
Player

Thankyou!

Although are they joking about a current GT being worth big dollars in ten years...or did I hear that wrong?
Old 17-06-07, 22:35   #24
X-ZemPt
EPIC!

Car: '95 Deo Twin Cab Daily! :D
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to X-ZemPt
Didn't realize there were so many early model commodore lovers on the forums.
I lover basically anything pre 1980, I just bought a VL Calais converted to a 5spd. And have a VH sitting in the shed waiting for the Grp3 kit to go on it and have the respray it has been wanting for a long time.

Back on topic, I love the VL Walky's, and realize they are worth big bucks. But I never like to believe ANYTHING I hear on shows like 'Today Tonight', seeing an advert like 'The Chasers War on Everything exposed', because they setup pranks...like WTF, the are comedians, thats their job.

Anyway, anyone with a Walky is one lucky *******.
Old 26-06-07, 01:44   #25
blownhsv
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
What do you guys think about the VR Senator 215 or GTS 215? They are pretty cheap at the moment. Factory 355 stroker & T56 for $15k is pretty good value

I'm thinking about buying one as I can't see the price falling much more

I used to own a white 1994 HSV GTS manual. was a one owner with 68000 from memory... had level ride suspension and was a nice drive. spare was never used (that nice SV5000 yellow one....hmmm) but i did have dramas with it. mine was in great condition to look at but i did spend alot of money fixing problems. mine may have been a lemon though. i still like the 215's

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownhsv
I used to own a white 1994 HSV GTS manual. was a one owner with 68000 from memory... had level ride suspension and was a nice drive. spare was never used (that nice SV5000 yellow one....hmmm) but i did have dramas with it. mine was in great condition to look at but i did spend alot of money fixing problems. mine may have been a lemon though. i still like the 215's
oh and the 355 is actually 346. just thought id let u know

Last edited by blownhsv; 26-06-07 at 01:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost