CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > For Sale & Wanted > For Sale - Advertisers > 6Boost.com
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 18-05-07, 08:38   #51
6BOOST
Where 4 out thou Maniman?

Car: 9 sec Corolla Panelvan
Trader Rating: (20)
While standard camshafts will be fine for spool, it kinda takes away the benifit of the twin cam head. If you spent the same amount of $$ your spending on going twin cam on the RB30 head with port development and valves, and a large camshaft, you'd prob make the same power as a stock GTR head and valves. My point being, that at the very least, get some camshafts that drop in with no mods, IE under 9.2mm of lift which is where the head starts to need machining, and get yourself a set of valve Springs from Performance Springs(I know, I sound like salesman for these guys, simple fact is they are the cheapest around, and work a treat, and I've used them many many times) that will drop straight in, and there you have it.

Preferably spend some money on port work, and now your starting to look like a winner in terms of hp gains. For future reference, and I can't stress this highly enough, a turbo DOES NOT push the air into the engine, so who needs port work?? Everybody. Why does a GTR head make more power?? Becuase it flows more air. It is just as critical to do port work on a turbo engine as it is on an NA engine, anything you do to increase airflow, will increase HP, and in my opinion, every $$ spent on the cylinder head and airflow development will be worth twice the HP as anywhere else in the engine.

Kyle.
Old 18-05-07, 18:23   #52
7FOUR7
Be like me

Car: VZ SS Thunder 6.0- Another vl soon
Trader Rating: (26)
Send a message via ICQ to 7FOUR7 Send a message via MSN to 7FOUR7
Ok, yeah the head will be ported, we have already planned on that. Also I will grab a set of cams and springs for it, i was under the impression that the standard ones were good enough for 500rwhp, but I suppose as you said they will make power easier :P

Cheers for that Kyle :)
Old 18-05-07, 18:52   #53
QIK86
Insert humour here

Trader Rating: (47)
this thread is a great source of info from someone who actually knows what they're on about. great work.

by the way, congrats on the zoom feature kyle. the car looked sweet.
Old 19-05-07, 02:41   #54
AFG-WPN
Armin Van Buuren

Car: D34DLY R34 356rwkw :) :) :)
Send a message via MSN to AFG-WPN
kyle, how are ya mate.

this will be the dumbest question in the thread, and proberly make me look real stupid but ahh well lol.

just wondering if the garrett gt30/71 (i think or its calld 32/71) can use same oil n water lines the normal ones off t3 turbos that are for sale usuelly on the forums, or am i gonna have to go and get custom ones made up?

piks of the turbo can be found in the following thread.

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=103497

also another dumb question, standard dumpy fit on this? or will i have to go custom

your a legend kyle, keep up the good work. :)

Baset.
AFG-WPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-07, 10:20   #55
6BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK86
this thread is a great source of info from someone who actually knows what they're on about. great work.

by the way, congrats on the zoom feature kyle. the car looked sweet.
Thanks mate, appreciate it:)

Nugget, stock cams will definately make 500rwhp, thats not the question, and yes, some bolt in style cams will make the same power on less boost, I'm just presuming that your not fitting a 1000hp turbo to a 600hp engine;o) When you want more, you won't need to pull the thing apart and do extra stuff.

Well, I honestly can't give yu an answer baset. I haven't ever seen a plain bearing GT3071, I was under the impression that they were only ball bearing, however I will say that thats the very smallest turbo I would fit to a RB30, its not much bigger than standard. The dump looks similar to the VL, the wastegate flap is part of the flange likea VL housing, and it looks like a plain bearing core, so the oil and water lines should be interchangable, but don't hold me to it, they may need some slight tweaks. It looks like in the pics that the water lines are blocked off anyway.

Kyle.
Old 19-05-07, 12:31   #56
AFG-WPN
Armin Van Buuren

Car: D34DLY R34 356rwkw :) :) :)
Send a message via MSN to AFG-WPN
thanks for the info kyle, the reason for buying this turbo is that im just doing a turbo conversion so i had this turbo come and it was cheap, so i thought why not lol.

thanks agian mate.
AFG-WPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-07, 14:22   #57
HDT-3L
Player

Car: vl
Trader Rating: (2)
hi kyle just needed some insight on what you think is the best fuel pressure regulator to run on the street.

what model and brand regulator do you prefer? this is for a vl turbo

thanks
HDT-3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-07, 21:47   #58
6BOOST

I really like magnaflow. They have a street reg up to 800hp that is around $300 and good for almost anything street orientated. They haev very good pressure control, and look pretty trick too. I hate malpassi's, which the pressure seems to do whatever it wants whenever it wants, and I have a turbosmart T reg on my own car, which works nicely too. The cheapest option up to 350-400rwhp I'd use that works nicely is the Sard, but this is more suited to factory style rails and barbed fittings. 1000% better than malpassi though.

6BOOST
Old 19-05-07, 22:08   #59
Cubes
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
I guess I was lucky the bloke who built my motor recommended King HP bearings. Unsure of any other oiling mods done. The motors travelled 50,000km's to date.

You say 2.2-2.75thou on the big ends depending on rod quality. A set of stock rods what would you run and for a set of spool rods?

I'm considering another small slow home build of an rb30 using a set of spool rods, cp pistons and full length oil pump drive so I can feel safe reving it a harder out at Mallala. There wouldn't be any other little tricks done to the rb30 bottom end you know of to help keep it alive?

Good work Kyle. Quite an interesting thread.

*subscribes*

Last edited by Cubes; 19-05-07 at 22:21.
Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-07, 10:12   #60
6BOOST

Spool rods I'd run 2.2-2.5 thou, depending on application. STreet style up to 400rwhp prob 2.2, street 500rwhp to track style work I'd use 2.5 thou, they are a really well made rods and as I said, Luke had them tested and are genuine 4340 chromoly, which met or exceeded all specifications for the metal, so its good quality forging as well, not cheap junk.

The lengthened oil pump drive is a good thing, we have a shop up here that welds the nose of the crank up then grinds it back with the longer snout on it, and matchs it to your oil pump drive so its tigher and doesn't smash out the corners. I like this better than a collar, check with your local crank grinder to see if they do it. There are a few oil system tweaks, I think I already mentioned it, drill the main oil galleries leading to the main bearings with a 7mm long shank drill, then use bearing blue and drop the bottom shell in. You'll notice the hole is off centre, and you need to use a small jewellers file to file the hole out and match the oil gallery hole in the block. Then simply grab a die grinder and radius all the passages in the block you can get to that oil flows under suction or pressure, such as where the oil filter screws on, and radius the edges inside the pump. These things will ensure you have a nice unimpeded flow to your bearings:o)

Kyle.
Old 22-05-07, 22:03   #61
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Car: VLCT/VY ADVENTRA LX8
Trader Rating: (36)
Kyle,

Regarding fuel pressure regulators I need some information. We are doing some upgrades to a couple of RB30's at the moment and come fuel system wise Im not totally sure the best steps to take. Both motors are fairly fresh with good t3/t4 highflows and will both be set up with LINK ecus. We are expecting power to be around the 230 - 250 rwkw mark. Now with gtr 440cc inj or 550cc inj will i need to upgrade the regulators past that of the std vlt item? We are looking to keep one of the cars very sleeperish and would much prefer to run with std regs to aid in this look.

Some guys are saying to me yes no probs it can be done, others are saying no you will need the bigger reg. Whats your view?

Steve
YEP_boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-07, 00:26   #62
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
Trader Rating: (23)
Im sure Kyle will reply but just to share my own experiences....Ive made 280+ rwkw with mine (Auto) with a GT35/40 and 2xBosch 910pumps, standard VLT Reg and single entry rail with 13B 550cc injectors. Never had fuel pressure problem. Hope that helps some.
Old 23-05-07, 00:41   #63
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Thanks Daz, we were looking at a few options, we just want to go cost effective and simple. Were the inj plugs on the rx7 550's the same as the vl or different?

Also Kyle we are looking at running 984 pumps, any negatives in doing so verse say the 044 apart from the different fittings?
Old 23-05-07, 01:01   #64
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Cant get anymore cost effective than what the car came with factory : )
Injector plugs are different dependant upon S4/5 but both are different to VL style plug...they will fit stock rail if you turndown the tops of the injectors by about a mm (so's to allow fuel hose to be pushed over)...
Old 23-05-07, 01:11   #65
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Yeah I had heard that they needed that slight mod to fit and I wasnt clear wether there was a difference in plugs!
Old 23-05-07, 11:28   #66
6BOOST

The GTR injectors are good enough for about 280-290rwkw through a manual at stock pressure in a VL, they have the same plugs as the VL. The RX7 injectors have different plugs though. I would stick with the GTR injectors and the stock reg is fine even up to 300-330rwkw through an auto, the only real reason to start needing to change it is usually the need for more pressure. Past that power level it becomes a good idea flow wise, rather than actually needing it to control pressure under power.

I think I have 2-3 sets of GTR injectors here, they usually go for about $250 if you can't find any.

Kyle.
Old 23-05-07, 12:19   #67
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Thanks Kyle, that is what I had thought about it but you hear so many conflicting stories these days. I will let you know if I need a set of the gtr's as I may have a set lined up already. Cheers!
Old 23-05-07, 13:39   #68
VPW
Player

Car: pedestrian at the moment
Trader Rating: (16)
the rectangle injector plugs on the s4 rx7 injectors will be the same, it will just be the locating pin on them that will be different, so you just grind it down and you wont have a prob (its just a locating pin, it doesnt hold the plug in place or anything, i always do it when fitting plugs to different air temp sensors and water temp sensors)
Old 23-05-07, 17:09   #69
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Ok cool, ive got the series fives then and they are def different and very hard to get connectors for if the injectors dont come with them!
Old 24-05-07, 20:38   #70
VPW
Player

Car: pedestrian at the moment
Trader Rating: (16)
they shouldnt be that hard. Call automotive service solutions/petroject (whatever its called in your particular state) and ask them for the oval type injector plug.
Old 24-05-07, 22:19   #71
Jet R31
10.21@140.89

Car: r31 skyline lego block
Trader Rating: (7)
Motor traders sell them now dazz aswell,easy to get now
cheers
darren
Jet R31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-07, 18:43   #72
plugger
242.1@ 18 psi

Car: VL Turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
Hey Kyle, wonder if you could help me out with Q on the rocca breathers...

i have freshly rebuilt pretty std rb30et prob done bout 800ishkm since run in
and having probs with heaps of oil coming from the rocca breathers...like filling a 600ml bottle(just temporary) in few weeks of prob 80% daily driving the rest giving it hard time.

im using mobil 1 5-50 which was recomended by a mate.
i got a feeling that its prob bit to thin?? and suggestions with another brand type etc etc??

also are std size breathers adequate size or do i need to go bigger??
ive seen few high hp cars that have (looks like) std size hoses and breathers... any suggestions??

have also read that you need to mod the oil galleries in the head to stop build up in the head when giving it a hard time...from what i know its std reco head that was done at time of the engine being built...

thanks mate
dale
Old 03-06-07, 16:09   #73
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
Trader Rating: (29)
Hey Kyle, what do you prefer for street applications, bar and plate or tube and fin intercoolers? Why? I have a bar and plate mick's metalcraft one at the moment but was considering upgrading to a plazmaman tube and fin 'race series' item. I've noticed a fair few big names over here making to swap to tube and fin, why is this?
Old 03-06-07, 23:58   #74
.loz
Gold Members

Car: Purple e36 328i manual coupe
Trader Rating: (5)
any interest in BMW's?
Old 04-06-07, 09:01   #75
6BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugger
Hey Kyle, wonder if you could help me out with Q on the rocca breathers...

i have freshly rebuilt pretty std rb30et prob done bout 800ishkm since run in
and having probs with heaps of oil coming from the rocca breathers...like filling a 600ml bottle(just temporary) in few weeks of prob 80% daily driving the rest giving it hard time.

im using mobil 1 5-50 which was recomended by a mate.
i got a feeling that its prob bit to thin?? and suggestions with another brand type etc etc??

also are std size breathers adequate size or do i need to go bigger??
ive seen few high hp cars that have (looks like) std size hoses and breathers... any suggestions??

have also read that you need to mod the oil galleries in the head to stop build up in the head when giving it a hard time...from what i know its std reco head that was done at time of the engine being built...

thanks mate
dale
It might have something to do with you using synthetic oil in a new engine, the rings don't bed in and its is considered a big no no, you should always run mineral oil in a fresh engine for at least 2000k's, at least in street applications anyway. Another thing may be ring gaps, which you can't do anything about now, and the size of the breathers. Because air speed through smaller breatehrs is higher, it often sucks out more oil with the air, increase the breather size, and it often brings the oil levels down. However this wouldn't just show up with a rebuild unless you've increased power/performance a lot over your last setup. Also, the oil restrictors are located in the block, not the head, and yes, its a good idea to make them smaller at the time of your rebuild, however this wouldn't be the cause of your sudden increase of breathing unless you went to a bigger oil pump and are really ringing the neck of this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO_BT1
Hey Kyle, what do you prefer for street applications, bar and plate or tube and fin intercoolers? Why? I have a bar and plate mick's metalcraft one at the moment but was considering upgrading to a plazmaman tube and fin 'race series' item. I've noticed a fair few big names over here making to swap to tube and fin, why is this?
I really don't see any point in changing a cooler unless you know the figures. THere is so many different brands, good an bad on the market, and a good tube and fin may cooler better than a poor bar and plate, while a good bar and plate may flow more than a poor tube and fin. Read that a few times till you get it:)

Micks metalcraft are a reputable brand, and should use decent cores, the bar and plate, as a rule, will cool better than a tube and fin. My best advise for you to decide if you need to change it to a good tube and fin, is do some pressure testing before and after the intercooler. Get some sort of pressure gauge on each side and meausre pressure drop across the core, just borrow a mates boost gauge or something. First thing, plumb it into the same spot as your current boost guage, and go for a drive. Make sure they both rear the same boost, as some don't, and if they are different, keep note of that difference. Now switch to each side of the cooler, and see the pressure drop. You don't want anymore than about 2psi drop across the core. It won't hurt so much, there would be heaps of 8/9 sec cars with more, but its a good ruile of thumb to know where there would be some benifits and gains to be had.

Test first, change later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .loz
any interest in BMW's?

I'm happy to build a manifold for anything from a motorbike to an airplane, the only requirement is a vehicle to build it on. What sort of BMW and can you get me a car local in brissy to build it on?? And what sort of kit/engine would you like to run??

Cheers......................6BOOST

Last edited by 6BOOST; 04-06-07 at 09:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
6BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote