CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Engines, Turbos, Exhausts, Intercoolers
GRUNT Performance

Old 02-08-08, 09:41   #1
t0rana
Player

Car: VL Turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to t0rana
no oil pressure

i just had my engine in for a full rebuild to turbo specs
primed the oil filter ect start it up and its not making any oil pressure at all
is this a common problem with rb30s any idears why it wouldnt be making ANY oil pressure at all ?
t0rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 10:13   #2
stokowagn
Official Member

Car: VZ Thunder SS Ute
Trader Rating: (11)
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...ressure+pum p

I did mine by just jacking up the back of the car, filled with the correct amount of oil, cranked a few times with fuel pump fuse out and perfect!
stokowagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 10:15   #3
jordy
Caps lock technician

Car: '87 Calais turbo, Yamaha FZ8N
Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via MSN to jordy
There needs to already be oil in the oil pump before it will start sucking oil from the sump. Most people will either: 1) pack the pump with vaseline; 2) fill the engine with twice as much oil, crank it over until you get pressure, then drain it back to the normal amount; or 3) get an oil can and squirt oil down the high pressure rail (accessible under the oil filter) until the pump fills that way.
Old 02-08-08, 10:49   #4
WPN.747
Player

i had teh same problem man i did all that vasilene **** more oil wont do ****!

100% to work crank it over with no belts on so can spin faster should get oil pressure straight away! if that doesnt work somethings wrong

why have stupid custom plates, when you can have standard issue ones!
WPN.747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 13:46   #5
theVLguy
Gold Members

Car: VL turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
take the plugs out when u crank it too
theVLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 00:43   #6
STONE RACING
ROMPER

Car: the other ones and new toy rx7 13b large extended bridge port pac built number plates ISS UES munch munch fuel for lunch
Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to STONE RACING
best thing to do is pack the oil pump with engine assembly lube vaso is too thick and will sit for ages some times before it will prime the assembly lube primes it str8 away with no hassles
STONE RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 00:57   #7
giantbrandon
aus880 for pm

Car: vl calais turbo s2, calais turbo wagon s1, exec v8 77k, crf450x
Trader Rating: (19)
morey's oil stabilizer is also another one you can use to pack your oil pump
Old 03-08-08, 09:26   #8
PSIWOG
Gold Members

Car: Audi
Send a message via MSN to PSIWOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbrandon
morey's oil stabilizer is also another one you can use to pack your oil pump
not good for a new engine. you would need to drain the oil as soon as it starts to allow the engine to wear in. This really raises the point if the engine was put together correct this wont be an issue ?? Who done the work
Old 03-08-08, 16:51   #9
giantbrandon
aus880 for pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIWOG
not good for a new engine. you would need to drain the oil as soon as it starts to allow the engine to wear in. This really raises the point if the engine was put together correct this wont be an issue ?? Who done the work
people use that **** to rebuild engines its not that bad and if it works then its all good, its no different to useing grease
Old 03-08-08, 17:22   #10
PSIWOG
Gold Members

Quote:
people use that **** to rebuild engines its not that bad and if it works then its all good, its no different to useing grease
If you speak to engine builders they don't like to actually use grease, they all have their own favorite assembly lubes. Grease, if needed to be used is much better than Morey's as it doesn't have anywhere near the anti wear additives as the Morey's. Brandon I think your a mechanic so I don't need to tell you how important it is to use a correct running in oil to allow the engine to bed in correctly. I'm sure you have felt Morey's in your hand, the **** is like honey ! You couldn't touch your own fingers rubbing them together if you wanted to its just that good at what it does and not the type of additive that you want when trying to get the engine to set in. Everyone has different ideas on this but what I'm getting at here is there is an underlying issue if its not getting oil pressure. When I build an engine I don't like to mask the problem by shoving thicker additives in the engine to get pressure
Old 03-08-08, 17:31   #11
jordy
Caps lock technician

Car: '87 Calais turbo, Yamaha FZ8N
Send a message via MSN to jordy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN.747
i had teh same problem man i did all that vasilene **** more oil wont do ****!

100% to work crank it over with no belts on so can spin faster should get oil pressure straight away! if that doesnt work somethings wrong
Seriously, what the fuck. This will not work.
Old 03-08-08, 18:56   #12
giantbrandon
aus880 for pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIWOG
If you speak to engine builders they don't like to actually use grease, they all have their own favorite assembly lubes. Grease, if needed to be used is much better than Morey's as it doesn't have anywhere near the anti wear additives as the Morey's. Brandon I think your a mechanic so I don't need to tell you how important it is to use a correct running in oil to allow the engine to bed in correctly. I'm sure you have felt Morey's in your hand, the **** is like honey ! You couldn't touch your own fingers rubbing them together if you wanted to its just that good at what it does and not the type of additive that you want when trying to get the engine to set in. Everyone has different ideas on this but what I'm getting at here is there is an underlying issue if its not getting oil pressure. When I build an engine I don't like to mask the problem by shoving thicker additives in the engine to get pressure
gease is good for getting oil pressure up when your having problems i wouldnt use it otherwise, but i have heard of lot of builders that have used moreys for engines that are left a while before being started as normal assembily oil may not stay in the bearings long enough, but im not saying to fill the whole sump up with moreys you still run your normal run in oil, by the time the engine has oil pressure its pushed that oil back to the sump and it mixes in
Old 03-08-08, 21:23   #13
carcrazy
Dont mess with Crazy

Car: Imaginary one
Trader Rating: (12)
Take the oil filter off and get a oil squirter can pump about a cans worth down the large delivery pipe cast into the side of the block (not the threaded boss that the filter fits onto) that comes up from the pump, fill the oil filter up with oit and then crank the motor over without plugs in it. It will get oil pressure.

Packing pumps with vasso is a very bad idea as the vasso can clog up oil lines and cause damage.
carcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 18:35   #14
PSIWOG
Gold Members

Quote:
gease is good for getting oil pressure up when your having problems i wouldnt use it otherwise, but i have heard of lot of builders that have used moreys for engines that are left a while before being started as normal assembily oil may not stay in the bearings long enough, but im not saying to fill the whole sump up with moreys you still run your normal run in oil, by the time the engine has oil pressure its pushed that oil back to the sump and it mixes in
Yer very good point of using the moreys on bearing shells if its going to sit for a while. Every builder is different but all in all most ways have their merits
Old 02-09-08, 12:42   #15
boostin31
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy
Take the oil filter off and get a oil squirter can pump about a cans worth down the large delivery pipe cast into the side of the block (not the threaded boss that the filter fits onto) that comes up from the pump, fill the oil filter up with oit and then crank the motor over without plugs in it. It will get oil pressure.

Packing pumps with vasso is a very bad idea as the vasso can clog up oil lines and cause damage.
nah vasso good **** it melts away when it gets hot anyway.Wont block anything.
boostin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 13:35   #16
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
Trader Rating: (23)
Quote:
Thats it right there, worked for me.
NSNPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 20:54   #17
rodger1
Player

Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin31
nah vasso good **** it melts away when it gets hot anyway.Wont block anything.
Bull Sh it i used vaso packet the oil pump with the **** did it work no, we even try'd pressurizing the sump raising the oil level nothing (heaps of cranking) so i removed the oil pump and the back cover got all that vaso **** out then compleatly filled the oil pump with oil, used a small amount of vaso to fill the suction side of the pump to stop the oil draining back, (i use to use vaso all the time in all the 202's, 5.0 and opel engines i've done but my engine rb30 hated the ****, pull the oil pump off remove the back cover and check to make sure the gears are actually in the pump, i know it's unlikley but i've seen it before with brand new pumps.
rodger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 11:08   #18
vltnitron
Gold Members

Trader Rating: (30)
Quote:

that is exactly how i did it. i have a drum pump for 20lt containers and the nozzle on the end is exactly the same size as the drilling in the block. held it in and pumped it in.
You can actually hear the oil squirting down in to the oil pump area. buy first turn of key full oil pressure.
If you also pump oil in to the threaded hole which the filter spins on to, it will prime the oil gallery system buying you time when you crank it.

i will take photos today of my spare block to show people

[IMG][/IMG]ok this it what it looks like with the oil filter removed.

[IMG][/IMG]
this is my drum pump that cost 20bux. you dont need a 20lt drum can just stick in your 5lt if you have too. The nozzle pipe size in 11.95mm to 12mm.
Fits perfectly in the drilling in the block with no leakage when pumping the oil in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Goes in on the hole on angle to filter surface.
[IMG][/IMG]
To play it safe with a brand new engine hold the nozzle on the filter barb and pump oil through, which will put oil throught the bearings and up in to the head.

Last edited by vltnitron; 07-09-08 at 20:34. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
vltnitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 20:39   #19
jetstream
Player

Car:
This is a common problem on all nissan motors.
I made an item to fix it.
i machine a oil filter haif the size out of alluminium added a line to pump oil to it screwed the filter on and filled it with oil.on the end of the hose i got a pump that pressurerize radiators and a clear 1 container filled it with oil kept the pressure at around 10psi in the container and kicked it over until the oil started pumping itself. Works ever time guarenteed never lost a motor yet.so simple. hope this helps all you guys.
Old 08-09-08, 09:53   #20
vltnitron
Gold Members

Trader Rating: (30)
someone might want to put this in techincal thread, seeming it's a common problem
vltnitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 19:41   #21
rodger1
Player

Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rana
i just had my engine in for a full rebuild to turbo specs
primed the oil filter ect start it up and its not making any oil pressure at all
is this a common problem with rb30s any idears why it wouldnt be making ANY oil pressure at all ?
how did u end up going? what method did u use?
rodger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 15:50   #22
MxPx VL
DEETS

Trader Rating: (11)
Some other ways of getting oil pressure
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=247476
MxPx VL is offline   Reply With Quote