CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 20-08-13, 23:53   #1
gold-vlt
Player

Car: fg xr6t daily, 88 vl series 200, 86 vl executive wagon, e46 barra powered
Trader Rating: (7)
86 VL Executive Wagon Build

Make / Model: 1986 VL Executive Stationwagon
Colour: Beige over mx grey bars
Bodykit: None
Engine Type: RB30e
Engine Mods: Blown headgasket
Power: None
Exhaust: None
Gearbox: Auto
Diff: Standard drum.
Brakes: ****
Suspension: Standard
Wheels/Tyres: Standard 14's
Interior: Factory s1 sandlewood sl interior, venetians(currently stripped out)
Stereo: Factory, standard tape deck

Other Mods: None yet.

Future mods: RB25/30, highmount steampipe manifold, 50mm external gate into 3.5" dump pipe, GT38.82r or, Precision 62/66 or 67/66 turbo, custom forward facing intake manifold, Link G4 xtreme wire in ecu (have)
Rebuilt 28 spline vlt lsd disc diff (have), R33 gts-t 5 speed box (have), Rebuilt 2 piece tailshaft with R33 front yoke (have),
new rotors front and rear with braided brake, diff and clutch lines (have), upgrade front calipers (need to fit under 15's), king spring lows with new shortened shocks, adjustable panhard rod, full front and rear re-bush (done),
fit new engine crossmember (have), recondition powersteering rack, replace tie rod end and ball joints (have), fit new 3" exhaust (have), new internal and external fuel pump with 2.5l undercar surge tank, new 3 core vlt radiator (have) move battery to boot (halfway there), new windscreen and new door rubbers, all rust cut out, full respray.

History: Previous owners bought it new in 1986 from Doug Barton Holden, Wynnum. They drove up until a few years ago when they bought a new camry and the vl just stayed in their garage until I bought it on the 16/05/13.

The car appeared to be in great condition on inspection and drove perfect like a new car on the test drive (apart from the typical vl brakes). It also came with rego and a current rwc. However the old bloke conveniently didn't disclose some information..

It wasn't until i got home and checked the oil that I realised it had a badly blown headgaket with oil in the radiator and coolant mixed in under the oil cap. The thermostat was filthy and and the housings where badly corroded to the point where the lower intake manifold had corroded over half it's thickness on one side where the top hose housing goes on.

I was going to replace the engine and box anyway obviously, but i was still really annoyed I know the owner knew enough about cars to have known there was a problem but still chose to insist that it was a honest, original, well maintained car. Original yes. honest, far from it. (never trust someone just because they're a pensioner!)

I then got a bit pissed off after checking over the engine and went to pull the seats out to clean the carpet and retrieve the broadcast sheet only to find the sheet was missing, the carpet around the seats was covered in dog hair, the rear of the carpet had oil stains which were covered by floor mats and... took out the back seat to find a pool of water underneath from a leaking door seal. The water had caused the rear of the seat fabric to rot and tear and also rusted the seat frame and seatbelt bolts.

After this incident I pretty much went over the whole car to find rust and other faults which inevitably i found. Rust under the rhs of the tailgate seal and a rust hole around the bolt that bolts the a/c blower motor to the firewall at which point I also found rust coming through from the end of the drip tray under the cowl panel.

I seriously considered fixing the headgasket and selling the car at this point. but after having a good think about it i decided to just commit and fix it all.

So this is where i'm at now on the wagon. Pulling the car apart ready for rust repairs to be undertaken and then body work and paint. After which i'll be refitting the interior and focusing on other aspects of the car like fitting the new drivetrain and getting some suspension sorted before I finish building the engine.

I'm already pretty far into pulling **** apart and so on so i'll just post a few pics of what i've been doing soon and then go from there.

gold-vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-13, 20:12   #2
gold-vlt
Player

Old 26-08-13, 01:50   #3
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Put aside all the dramas, its a really clean car! Interior is flawless.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-13, 16:47   #4
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
Trader Rating: (0)
I would've gone back and cracked it at the old bloke simply for lying to me, although to be fair I would have checked the oil etc before and after driving and buying

Is a very clean wags though, keen to see how this goes
Old 26-08-13, 20:21   #5
gold-vlt
Player

Yeah the old bloke did lie but can't go back now. Usually i would have checked the oil and coolant but the reason I didn't was because he had most of the service history there and pointed out a few things that were replaced. It all looked legit and the car idled and drove like new so I didn't question it for a second at the time. I'll never make that mistake again. It must be blown between the oil and coolant gallery thus not really affecting the smoothness of the engine like if it was blown between cylinders etc. I have suspicions that the head is cracked going by the state of the coolant system and the new radiator. Oh well! Just keen to build a new engine for it now and actually get to drive it.
Old 26-08-13, 22:19   #6
MUS
Chunky but funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22 View Post
I would've gone back and cracked it at the old bloke simply for lying to me, although to be fair I would have checked the oil etc before and after driving and buying

Is a very clean wags though, keen to see how this goes
I agree 100%.
But we live and learn. I dont know how much you paid, if you got it relatively cheap who cares it was a bargain. But if you paid a fair bit of coin I could understand your frustration. But then again its mint!
Old 27-08-13, 18:55   #7
gold-vlt
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
I agree 100%.
But we live and learn. I dont know how much you paid, if you got it relatively cheap who cares it was a bargain. But if you paid a fair bit of coin I could understand your frustration. But then again its mint!
$3000. It was $3500 and he said he would take $3000. But knowing he probably did that because he was guilty of concealing problems or knowing i may find them on inspection makes me angry. Had I of known the true condition of the car I would have offered him $2000 unregistered.

Anyway I just want to make the best of the car that I can after the stuff around to make it worth while. Will be a whole new car when it's done.

I'll chuck up some more pics of some progress soon. I've just been flat out with a new job and cbf at the moment.

and yeah pretty happy with the interior for the most part. I havent always been into sl trim but it's grown on me and will add to the sleeper theme.
Old 27-08-13, 21:21   #8
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
Yeh it's not a massive deal because you're gonna fix up the motor anyway
Old 28-08-13, 21:18   #9
#adz
talks a good game

Car: vl berlina wagz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold-vlt View Post
I havent always been into sl trim but it's grown on me and will add to the sleeper theme.
agree with this

shame about the old fella being a douche, really makes it hard to want to trust people.

looking at the photos you've posted it looks pretty fricken good, despite faults mentioned

like what you have install for it, what are your plans for colour?
#adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 22:29   #10
gold-vlt
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by #adz View Post
what are your plans for colour?
Either white over mx grey or porsche arena red over mx grey with red and silver berlina pinstripe. And also satin black window frames.
Old 29-08-13, 19:24   #11
#adz
talks a good game

Car: vl berlina wagz
either way will look good, its a hard decision to make
#adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-13, 19:32   #12
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
progress photos or nothings happened?
Old 29-08-13, 20:25   #13
gold-vlt
Player

What's the best way to resize photos on photobucket and what size is good? they are a bit too big.

---------- Post added 29-08-13 at 20:47 ----------

---------- Post added 29-08-13 at 20:58 ----------

Here's the new engine crossmember and front control arms. I just wire wheeled them, chipped off the welding slag then had them sandblasted and powdercoated. Will put the new ball joints in on the weekend. New bushes already installed.

---------- Post added 29-08-13 at 21:20 ----------

The diff I have ready to put in is the diff out of my old wagon which I stripped, wire wheeled then sent off to be sandblasted and powdercoated. I also put in some new bushes and converted the diff to turbo spec with disc brakes, lsd centre and 28 spline axles. I also replaced very bearing and seal with brand new ones and I bought some braided lines since the rest of the system will eventually be upgraded as well.

Whether or not I'll keep this diff i havent yet decided as I'm not sure whether it will handle around 500hp without breaking something.

---------- Post added 29-08-13 at 21:30 ----------

And here's the new 3" exhaust. It won't be going in for a while yet. It was out of a vs wagon with a rb30 so the hangers have been cut off so that new ones can be welded on allowing it to fit up to a vl floorpan. I was going to go for a 3" dump tip but i think i'll stick with this one.

---------- Post added 29-08-13 at 21:35 ----------

would be great if i could edit my own posts! wtf.
Old 02-09-13, 00:40   #14
MUS
Chunky but funky

The edit option is in the bottom right hand corner of your post.
Great progression, and porsche arena red hands down. Was going to paint my vl that color.
Old 02-09-13, 15:09   #15
SIroller
CAL.415

almost looks like a candy apple finish.

i love it. also thats some hectic rust. wheres that floorpan becuse of window rusting through and leaking?
Old 02-09-13, 19:19   #16
MUS
Chunky but funky

Here is a absolute sex machine berlina turbo in Porsche Arena Red.
Like I said, I too was inspired to paint my car this color. When I saw this pic I almost did it! So this pic may push you to do it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63sqxy.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	61200   Click image for larger version

Name:	2w4kw8o.jpg
Views:	1344
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	61201  
Old 04-09-13, 10:22   #17
gold-vlt
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller View Post

i love it. also thats some hectic rust. wheres that floorpan becuse of window rusting through and leaking?
The rust hole is the bolt hole of the ac/fan blower motor. I think moisture got trapped behind the putty that they put over the nut in the wheel well. I'm just going to patch it the same as the loom holes and then redrill the hole for the bolt.

---------- Post added 04-09-13 at 10:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
Here is a absolute sex machine berlina turbo in Porsche Arena Red.
Like I said, I too was inspired to paint my car this color. When I saw this pic I almost did it! So this pic may push you to do it
Yeah this car is how i found out about the colour. I was looking around for a nice burgundy or maroon for a while and this one is awesome. not too dark but not too light, brown or purple. And it still goes well with the original mx grey bars.

Another colour i was considering was the mazda copper mica red. let me know what you think!?
Old 04-09-13, 19:17   #18
SIroller
CAL.415

i was thinking of that car aswell mus didn't realise it was a non factory colour just thought it was a smashing paint job with layers and layers of clear.
Old 05-09-13, 23:29   #19
MUS
Chunky but funky

Yeah Mitch I also thought that once upon a time. Arena red is a really expensive paint buddy!! So if you decide to go with that colour be prepared to pay hectic $$$$$ lol. That's why I ended up going phantom black..
I'm not sure witch red that Mazda one is so il google it lol
Old 10-09-13, 23:09   #20
MUS
Chunky but funky

Sundown red is a toyota color I beleive? Also very nice and cheap in comparison to arena red.
Old 11-09-13, 10:26   #21
gold-vlt
Player

yeah that is nice. i'm getting a quote on paint today.

---------- Post added 11-09-13 at 11:47 ----------

Ok. so paint is $371.40 for 4L arena red basecoat- protec brand and $184.00 for 6L protec clear. I'm happy with paying that.

I also found a paint code for arena red pearl metallic. Just got to find out which of the 2 i have been looking at in pics. anyone know the owner of that berlina turbo on fr's?
Old 11-09-13, 19:32   #22
SIroller
CAL.415

he was on here and some of the older blokes will remember. he stripped it and bought a house i believe. but yeah someone will still be mates with him. maybe scan some old "show us ya ride" threads in the s.a. section and see if you can PM him or pos a pic there and ask.
Old 11-09-13, 21:02   #23
gold-vlt
Player

Yeah i read somewhere that he stripped it. I think his username was NSNPWR something possibly. I'll just google search the car and get a link from there.
Old 12-09-13, 09:41   #24
SIroller
CAL.415

nswpwr is him for sure.
Old 12-09-13, 09:59   #25
gold-vlt
Player

Found him and sent a PM.

I'll throw up some more pics soon. I've stripped the whole rear of the wagon so I can get to everywhere underneath to do a thourough cleanup ready for paint.

It's taking forever to chip off all the old sound deadener and seam sealant from every single crevice. Once ive done that i'm going to pressure wash the underbody and then wet rub it ready for some etch primer, new seam sealant and 2k black.

Also started stripping the fuel tank and found a pin sized hole at the rear that needs welding. So i'll do that and then prep the tank to be painted at the same time as the underbody and hopefully install a new internal pump while i'm there if money permits.