Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Suspension, Brakes, Gearboxes, Diffs
G-Cylinder

Old 16-11-08, 11:48   #1
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Slotted Discs - what do YOU have?

Hey peeps,

Looking for a bit of a consensus as to what sort of front discs you're running.

Make sure you mention size, style (straight slotted, curved slotted, cross drilled, all of the above, two piece, gold electroplated, etc)m brand, price.

Also what calipers, and what pads.

So what works for you?
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-08, 11:55   #2
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
I had a set of the gold electroplated VT front discs on mine, straight slotted with ebc red pads, was fairly good. Ive got 6 piston AP racing calipers and 343mm 2 piece rotors, straight slotted on the front now and a VE rear conversion along with a VT master and booster, cant get a better pedal feel, cost heaps though.
i'd eat dog sh1t on a stick if it had fresh garlic on it
88 Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-08, 12:51   #3
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Car: VLCT/VY ADVENTRA LX8
Trader Rating: (36)
Fronts

Im running VN Group A twin piston calipers.
RDA 328mm x 28mm slotted dics.
Bendix Ultimate 1353 pads
Custom made Braided lines

Rears
Standard calipers
DBA 280mm x 11mm slotted.
Bendix Ultimate 1086 pads.
Custom Braided Lines.

I run the std VL Turbo 1 inch master and dual vac booster and the pedal feel is excellent and can lock the brakes easily at near any speed. You actually have to be quite careful not to overbrake the car. I went this direction more so as it is a bolt on with factory fit parts of the same era of car!

Last edited by YEP_boost; 16-11-08 at 12:56.
YEP_boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-08, 15:41   #4
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Awesome, I was hoping to hear from you Jason. I hadn't been able to work out the disc diameter on your fronts.

And it's interesting to get some feedback on the VN Group A twin pison setup, thanks Steve.

So we like DBA/RDA slotted/electroplated? And Bendix pads?
Old 17-11-08, 08:39   #5
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Yeah the SV brakes are absolute poison when you try to buy parts for them. The RDA discs are fine and although not quite as good as a DBA I cant justify the price difference. I paid $310 trade for a front pair of RDA discs vs the DBA std disc were $320 each non slotted.

The 1353 pads retail at $305 for the ultimate's but thank god I get along well with Bursons as I only paid $122. I was going to use the EBC greens but id been told they werent much chop by a couple of people and I was looking at $180 per end and I think $220 per end for the EBC reds. There is a new Bendix compund out called SRT but they are up around $250 per set and from what I am told are just top notch pads but a lil noisy cold. Id love to give them a go but I cant justify the extra money for the pads when the thing pulls up very hard as it is now!
Old 17-11-08, 15:50   #6
[FLY-BYE]
always hidden never drive

Car: 87 calais turbo, 500hp r32 gtr daily
Trader Rating: (5)
this isnt brake related, but just curious as i noticed you were running wanli tyres, what are they like, just want to know from someone who actually has them on there car coz everyone i know says that there arent too crash hot in the traction department
[FLY-BYE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-08, 19:05   #7
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Depends how much power your putting down really. Mines pretty useless on a launch on the street but without slicks most cars are. For what I paid for them I cant complain and in general road going form theyre ok but ive had better handling tyres than these, the Falkens that I had before were very nice and much more predictable in feel.

Besides that these things smoke really good!
Old 17-11-08, 19:34   #8
[FLY-BYE]
always hidden never drive

Car: 87 calais turbo, 500hp r32 gtr daily
Trader Rating: (5)
oh ok thanks man, yeah i know they smoke well ive seen them do skids before, just the guy who did the burnout had pirellis up front, i was more asking i dont feel like understeering into a gutter in the wet kinda thing haha
[FLY-BYE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-08, 19:57   #9
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Nah you wont go flying into a gutter unless you want to of course. Theyre not to bad in the rain actually!
Old 17-11-08, 20:05   #10
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Didnt realise we were posting pics!, nah dont worry I wont there is more than enough threads with pics of my brakes on here.

Total cost was through the roof mate, cant really remember, but it was closer to 7K includin booster and master with full synthetic fluid, it all really depends on what you are doing with the car,Ill probably go for the 4 piston rears next year some time, but its already overkill as it is.

YEP boost has a good setup, I wasnt a big fan of the ebc pads really, racebrakes do a pad, they are fantastic, more expensive and wear out alot faster, but work with very little heat in them, and still work very very well when extreemly hot.
Old 17-11-08, 21:23   #11
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEP_boost
Yeah the SV brakes are absolute poison when you try to buy parts for them. The RDA discs are fine and although not quite as good as a DBA I cant justify the price difference. I paid $310 trade for a front pair of RDA discs vs the DBA std disc were $320 each non slotted.

The 1353 pads retail at $305 for the ultimate's but thank god I get along well with Bursons as I only paid $122. I was going to use the EBC greens but id been told they werent much chop by a couple of people and I was looking at $180 per end and I think $220 per end for the EBC reds. There is a new Bendix compund out called SRT but they are up around $250 per set and from what I am told are just top notch pads but a lil noisy cold. Id love to give them a go but I cant justify the extra money for the pads when the thing pulls up very hard as it is now!
Sounds like you're Group A setup is like a mini money pit within the bigger money pit (car)!!

I'm looking at running DBA 4000 slotted electroplated on the front; only problem is I've found such huge variances in prices. From $120 per disc for "kangaroo paw" vented slotted, up to $600 for stuff on eBay! Granted, I have gone the 330x32mm option (doh), but I wouldn't think they'd be that much more expensive!!

I don't even want to know about pads - R32 GTR calipers surely run some god-awful expensive pads.
Old 17-11-08, 21:35   #12
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Not always the case although im not dure, maybe pm VHR32, he has used the calipers alot, and could probably help with pad choice
Old 17-11-08, 21:54   #13
ajay
Player

Car: '86 turbo 5 speed.
Trader Rating: (2)
i used to have just the standard rotors (turbo size) and bendix ultimates in the front and they were more like moderators than brakes. Changed the rotors to dba drilled and slotted with some pads that the guy i bought the rotors off recommended, changed the fluid to nulon dot4 and they actually work like brakes now. One of the best things i've ever done and didn't cost much either. Changed the back to dba slotted with ebc blacks and the car stops pretty damn good now. It was around $400 to $450 for every thing, including front wheel bearings and fluid.
Old 18-11-08, 02:43   #14
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
Sounds like you're Group A setup is like a mini money pit within the bigger money pit (car)!!

I'm looking at running DBA 4000 slotted electroplated on the front; only problem is I've found such huge variances in prices. From $120 per disc for "kangaroo paw" vented slotted, up to $600 for stuff on eBay! Granted, I have gone the 330x32mm option (doh), but I wouldn't think they'd be that much more expensive!!

I don't even want to know about pads - R32 GTR calipers surely run some god-awful expensive pads.
True in a way but like anything, its the real deal. Nearly everything on the car is era correct HSV items so in the end they retain theyre worth. Like anything there is cheaper ways to do brake conversions and I could have used rubber lines, cheaper pads and non slotted discs but at the end of the day I got what I wanted.

I have driven a VLT with the 4 piston Nissans. My preference was and still is that the Group A setup is a little better for what I wanted but not by much and either conversion will set you back similar money either way you go if starting from scratch. If anything the Nissan kit is easier to obtain as the SV calipers are very hard to track down these days.
Old 17-02-09, 14:07   #15
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Bump an old thread a 'lil...

I saw a set of VN Group A twin pistons on eBay yesterday - opening bid was $600! One caliper was brand new though.

I've been researching pads to suit my R33 calipers, and found some stupid price differences:

-EBC Red ($610.55 front and rear at my local RDA supplier)
-EBC Red ($530 front and rear on eBay)

Best Repco have is Bendix ultimate:
-$292 front ($150) and rear ($142)
-Ebay is much the same (front $120, rear would be a little less)

Repco want $324 per front disc (DBA4048XS; gold electroplated drilled/slotted 330x32mm [VT HSV] ), eBay wants $420 a pair!

Madness! What're people's opinions on pads? From what I've read, EBC Red seem to best suit my application. Although, they're website was the only one that gave decent information on operatonal temperature range, compositiion, etc...=/

Last edited by 5spdvl; 17-02-09 at 15:37.
Old 17-02-09, 22:11   #16
vhr32
Player

Car: VH RB20DET street/track car
Trader Rating: (30)
Send a message via MSN to vhr32
What are you going ot use the pads for? Just fast street use?
vhr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 22:55   #17
furryfrog
180kw

Car: '81 corolla KE55S sr20de+t
Trader Rating: (11)
RDA straight Slotted all round standard size vlt rotors.
rx7 FD calipers on the front
adaptors off vhr32
QFM pads on front, bendix on rear
VT 5L master
VS s3 booster
elf brake fluid

sold the car before i fitted QFM on the rear, car stopped very well with good pedal feel.

i used a set of ebc pads in the car previously and they were very harsh on the discs, i personally wouldnt use them again.
furryfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 23:04   #18
kalais6
Official Member

Car: VL Calais Turbo (KALAIS6)
Trader Rating: (1)
I've just got 330mm slotted fronts with twin spot calipers along with decent pads and just standard size rears, slotted with a pad upgrade - as soon as the car has an engine I'll be able to see what improvement there is
kalais6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 08:34   #19
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhr32
What are you going ot use the pads for? Just fast street use?
Street use, but I also want to be able to rely on it for track use (Winton, etc). And $500+ for pads, I don't want to have to change them too often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEP_boost
Yeah the SV brakes are absolute poison when you try to buy parts for them
Not wrong!

Just got quoted at Repco:
-DBA020 $330 (standard)
-DBA020SL $322 (slotted)
-DBA020XS $354 (slotted/x-drilled/gold electroplated)

That's all VN Group A rear 280x20mm vented rear discs.

And yes, slotted is somehow cheaper.

So.....eBay spec racing right?

So I got quoted that from Repco.

Here's what Bursons had to say:
-DBA020 $300 (standard)
-DBA020SL $270 (slotted)
-DBA020XS $270 (slotted/x-drilled/gold electroplated)

So what you say? Well, it gets better. I found a seller on eBay who practically throws these things out.

He does DBA020SLs for $205 each ($125 cheaper than Repco, $95 cheaper than Bursons), and DBA4048SLs for $245 each ($124 off Repco, $85 off Bursons)!

But he did me a deal for a pair of DBA020SLs and a pair of DBA4048SLs for $850, plus post. Why am I telling everyone this?

Because I'm sure someone else could benefit from this.

eBay username is gemicam.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/BrakeWorx

He has like five items listed, but if you email him he can get pretty much anything.

He ALSO said he can beat $530 front and rear for EBC Red R33 GTS-t pads. I'll have the exact price tomorrow.

Last edited by 5spdvl; 18-02-09 at 20:23. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18-02-09, 20:57   #20
vhr32
Player

Car: VH RB20DET street/track car
Trader Rating: (30)
Send a message via MSN to vhr32
I wouldn't get EBC pads, Ive had greens and red ceramic and was not too impressed. (IMO)

I would use a set of TRW/Lucas pads front and rear (cheap at $80ea? approx)
Or Bendix Ultimates...
Maybe QFM HP-X...

Then have a good set of race pads just for track days, ie:
Hawk HT10? (I have used these at Symmons Plains and found them really good!)
SBS Pro track?
Ferodo DS3000?
Race Brakes RB74?

Maybe Ferodo DS2500 all around would you street and the odd track day but it is silly to use such expensive pads ($500-600) on the street for 99% of the time!

remember using race pads on the road might end up chewing out rotors because the pads aren't being used at their optimum temp range.

Matt at RBS would be able to advise on a decent pair for the street and then a pair of track pads.

Last edited by vhr32; 18-02-09 at 21:01.
vhr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 21:14   #21
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

That's quite interesting Matt.

I read this:

http://soarer.ace.net.au/lucas_trw.html

Re: TRW/Lucas pads, and they got an excellent review. Cheap too! I got quoted $500 front and rear for Bendix Ultimates. When they're that much, I figured I may as well go for EBC Reds.

Here's a bit more on HPX, and an advertiser for QFM really raving about the Lucas pads:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...s-t200562.html

Cheap too - $60 fronts, $50 rears (Lucas pads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot1986 (SAU)
HPX over ultimates any day of the week, in every respect. However, if dust isn't of concern to you, and you do want to do some light tracking, then Lucas pads will give you a little bit better performance than either the HPX or Ultimates, and are cheaper than either of them too. $60 for the front and $50 for the rears.

Also, keep in mind, that particularly on the track, the quality of your brake fluid is the biggest factor in performance...
Old 19-02-09, 10:31   #22
blu magoo
Player

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to blu magoo
standard... cuz ima cheap c*nt haha nah strait drilled, vn v8 callipers and bendix pads
blu magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-09, 11:00   #23
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhr32
I wouldn't get EBC pads, Ive had greens and red ceramic and was not too impressed. (IMO)

I would use a set of TRW/Lucas pads front and rear (cheap at $80ea? approx)
Or Bendix Ultimates...
Maybe QFM HP-X...

Then have a good set of race pads just for track days, ie:
Hawk HT10? (I have used these at Symmons Plains and found them really good!)
SBS Pro track?
Ferodo DS3000?
Race Brakes RB74?

Maybe Ferodo DS2500 all around would you street and the odd track day but it is silly to use such expensive pads ($500-600) on the street for 99% of the time!

remember using race pads on the road might end up chewing out rotors because the pads aren't being used at their optimum temp range.

Matt at RBS would be able to advise on a decent pair for the street and then a pair of track pads.
I'm looking into a set of TRW/Lucas pads from gemicam at the moment, but I like the idea of having a second set of pads for track days.
Old 26-02-09, 21:53   #24
nellyb
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
ve calipers, 320mm EBC straight slotted rotors, and bendix pads.
Old 27-02-09, 15:46   #25
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
Ferodo DS2500 pads for street duties and DS3000's for track. DS2500's are an awesome pad and you can get them to suit the c5 caliper that alot of later model commodores use. .51 co efficient of friction from basically cold right up to 900 odd degrees. They double as a awesome hill climb pad or ok to pretty good track day. DS3000's really are track only and take some warming up but bite like a mofo. Use these pads on a Harrop 343mm/330mm rotor combo with AP racing brake fluid and braided lines all round.

The DS2500's I have on there now are like 260 or so for the fronts and I forget what the rears are....