CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 29-01-09, 20:09   #1
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (19)
Whats a VL Sandown Worth. By BROCK

WHATS THIS WORTH!!!!

Hey guys i was driving town a street today when a white VL with HDT rims and a boot wing struck my eye. It was parked under a garage and looked a bit dusty and had a rear tail light missing. It looked like it hadnt been driven for a while so I hooked a u-turn and went back for a better look.

It had a SANDOWN sticker on the back where a turbo badge would usually be.
I went in and asked if they wanted to sell. A 50yo woman answered the door and i asked if she wanted to sell. She said actually i was just thinking about it.
She said. You know what it is don't you!! I said yeah. Its a VL. She goes no. Its more that a VL this was made by Peter Brock for me. Its 1 of 20 ever made. Im like oh ok. Acting dumb. Not cause i didnt believe her but because i was unsure if she had put the stickers on but at the same time i was thinking it was possibly something special because it had the HDT wheels..

Ok so its not mint and i didn't get a good chance to go over it but.What i saw was that It only had a 104000k. Has a few dents and scratches.Had the Momo steering wheel. Mint seats under seat covers. 1 owner lady. HDT wheels, boot wing, 5 speed man. Suspension package from factory she said. She said it was only a six and said this is what brock won bathhurst in. Said it was a 1989? badged but a 88vl. Now i know he never won in a standard six. So shes not quite sure what shes got. I didnt ge to see under the bonnet and i wasnt wanting to act to keen on it either. for purchasing reasons.

Om wondering is this something a little but special. Google returns nothing for me/

I gave her my number and am keen to buy it.
But id like some advice
WHATS IT WORTH. Does any one know anything about these.

Sorry these were the best pics i could get while she was there.

Thanks guys any help would be great . Cheers Steve
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
XCHASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-09, 20:20   #2
tha don
Player

Car: VS Statesman SIII, 1971 Mercedes 350SL
Trader Rating: (3)
take down all the details on the tags and check it against the info thats on here, thats your best bet.

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=24924

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=18183

personally ive never heard about them, and i cant understand why brock would personally make the lady a stocky 6 commodore. maybe the ladys just senile in her old age?

Last edited by tha don; 29-01-09 at 20:26.
tha don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-09, 20:26   #3
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
I know i should have but from what she said she actually seemed like she wasnt stupid. I Wanted her to pop the bonnet but seeing as she wasnt actually selling the car yet i didn't want to scare her off or annoy her at this point. Im sure it would have HDT tags under the bonnet. She said it has extractors. So from that i guessing its not a turbo.
From the tip on exhaust <original> its not turbo. Not bent up like a bonner. Couldnt see the back brakes thru the rims and i forgot to look for badge on dash. Bugger
Old 29-01-09, 20:39   #4
evilrb
Player

Car: Piece of crap
Trader Rating: (0)
at a guess i was gonna say to me it looks like a car yard special, as in its a stock vl kitted out with the extras at the car yard. but then i found this info

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...=20120&IsPgd=0

look under vl calais director and it seems a sandown model was made by brock
evilrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-09, 20:43   #5
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Thats good info. Thanks for that. But it dosent say how many were built or have pictures. Any more help would be great ly appreciated. CHeers guys steve
Old 29-01-09, 20:44   #6
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
http://www.auto-museum.net/vehicule/details-11630.html

Hope you can read french!
i'd eat dog sh1t on a stick if it had fresh garlic on it
88 Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-09, 20:46   #7
evilrb
Player

im reading alot about a sandown wagon but no sedan and no pics unfortunately
Old 29-01-09, 20:47   #8
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/

Yeah I saw it was a wagon only, link to rare spares sandown decal, maybe give them a buzz and see what they know?

Edit crap link type sandown in to the description box top left of screen
i'd eat dog sh1t on a stick if it had fresh garlic on it
88 Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-09, 20:49   #9
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Chaser
Cheers Jas
Heres a translation on the page

85,0 mm Compression: 9.0:1 Distribution: Nutrition: Suralimentation: Power: 155 ch Couple: 247 Nm (25.2 mkg) maximum System: The Typical transmission of transmission: Propulsion Transmission: Manuelle 5 reports The chassis and the wheels
Direction: To rack - Attended Diameter of steering: Suspensions before: Independent rear Suspensions: Brakes before: Ventilated discs rear Brakes: Drums Tires before: Rear tires: The dimensions Length: Width: Height: Empattement: Ways before:
Rear ways: Weight: 1400 kg Reservoir: 68 liters Volume of the trunk: SCx: Cx: Performances Speed maximum: 0-100 km/o'clock: 0-160 km/o'clock: 0-200 km/o'clock: 0-300 km/o'clock: 400 meters departure arrété: 1000 meters departure stopped:
Report Weight/Power: 9,032 kg/ch Report Power/Liter: Urban first rate consumption: Urban consumption: Mixed consumption: Transmission of CARBON DIOXIDE:

This translation works great,
Id love to have a Transmission of CARBON DIOXIDE:
Old 29-01-09, 20:59   #10
evilrb
Player

mate, go to www.brockcommodores.com and look under the vl fact file menu and the sandown wagon is fourth from the top.

no info about a sedan but there is a pic of the wagon
Old 29-01-09, 21:04   #11
Boyracer
Polarized

Car: VL 5.0, VS 3.8
Peter Brock won Bathurst in a VL6? FMD, pop the bonnet to make sure its not a turbo six and get a build plate number, it should be around 42##.
The stickers are from that year 1988 but as a six I cant see it being worth more than five grand, how much are you going to pay for a spoiler kit and build plate? maybe more to a collector,does it have a polarizer? Is the wheel in good nic? Are the rims fifteens or sixteens? Get more pics, its a rare model from the last of the Brocks.
Old 29-01-09, 21:43   #12
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyracer
Peter Brock won Bathurst in a VL6? FMD, pop the bonnet to make sure its not a turbo six and get a build plate number, it should be around 42##.
The stickers are from that year 1988 but as a six I cant see it being worth more than five grand, how much are you going to pay for a spoiler kit and build plate? maybe more to a collector,does it have a polarizer? Is the wheel in good nic? Are the rims fifteens or sixteens? Get more pics, its a rare model from the last of the Brocks.
I might have to go back there soon and find out. I really dont want to let on thou that im too keen. The wheels looked pretty big i recon 16s. They are full face covered with an allen key required to get to nuts,

Not sure what id pay but probably worth 2gs easy. In current conditon but to a collector could be a lot more. Never know if i get it, i may do a resto. if its what its meant to be. 1 owner im sure she has details and books etc. Its unmolested. Even original radio etc

Any more info guys would be great. cheers
Old 29-01-09, 21:53   #13
SPRIGZY
Player

Car: VL CALAIS TURBO.(GLDJET), 2004 vy calais,2002 vx calais,98 jeep
Trader Rating: (70)
i just scanned thru my brock bible on vl's and only mentioned the wagon,not to say it didnt happen get on brock commos they are nut cases on there and ull know in minutes.
Old 29-01-09, 22:08   #14
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Hey Sprigzy have you got an account on that forum? Could you ask, Ive signed up but am now waiting. Cheers steve
Old 30-01-09, 01:50   #15
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

Car: They have 4 wheels and aren't making me rich
Trader Rating: (25)
I'd say go for it man. Any unmolested VL with those kind of kays is rare as...it's a great start for project car at the very least...but even short of a resto...a bit of love will go a long way with it. Most of the HDT enthusiasts like em original even if it is a bit rough around the edges. Who cares if it's a standard 6? I guess value wise it would be similar, if not a little more than a nitron. At the end of the day, it's a brocky and a rare one by the sounds of things. If you don't buy it I will

Last edited by VLT-025; 30-01-09 at 11:17.
VLT-025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 08:01   #16
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Cheers Dre my thoughts exactly. I'll keep you informed hey. Seeing as not many people on the forum know what it is or really worth, including myself and its not a very well known model. It would have to be a little bit unique even if its only a N/A 6.
Old 30-01-09, 08:52   #17
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
I read up on this mid last year, some bloke had stumbled across it on the road!
Its build number #4229 and was sold by fast lane in S.A
Out of all of the 5 it was the most standard looking as the other 4, 1 blue, 2 red one white and a red wagon.

As for price 1st things first i cant comment unless you can 110% comfirm this is the car were talking about by seeing if it is a HDT.

If so itd be worth what you are willing to pay n they are willing to part with. Id say 3-8k with things how they are at the moment.

If you end up buying it and want to make some quick dollars. PM ME as id be happy to add thisto my collection

NOTE: The aqbove info such as build number etc, i read on brockcommodores last year sometime im not sure how correct it is as only wrote down the bits i thought were really important into my book.

Last edited by Katsa; 30-01-09 at 09:37.
Katsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 11:59   #18
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
Trader Rating: (23)
Lol @ $2k............................................... .

Me thinks dear old lady will politely tell you youre dreaming...

Snap it up...People have been trying to fetch $20k for N/A Nitrons which really arent anything special in terms of performance etc.....
Old 30-01-09, 12:13   #19
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

Car: They have 4 wheels and aren't making me rich
Trader Rating: (25)
I think I'd happily pay 5K, maybe more for that..knowing there'd be others who'd pay more, so long as there aren't any hidden nasties, but yeah..the current owner might have some crazy ideas as to its value. Just be straight up, make an offer you're comfortable with and see how it sits with her. 20K for a Nitron is ridiculous
Old 30-01-09, 12:28   #20
Corsa
Player

Car: GMH/HDT/HSV Turbo's
Send a message via ICQ to Corsa Send a message via MSN to Corsa
Just checked through my pics and the car you looked at matches the ones posted previously believed to be #4229.
The Sandown model was released in 88 at a time when HDT wasn't selling too many cars. Three models were launched together being the Sandown, Mt Panorama and Bathurst. The Sandown's were all 6 cylinder models (most sedans plus 1 wagon) whilst the other two were V8's with the Bathurst being the higher spec model.
As the owner knows what the car is, you'll stand no chance if you go an insult her with a price you would pay for a standard VL of the same spec.
It is along with some of the other models available with the N/A 6 cyl (LE, Corsa, Sport) a cheap entry level into a Brock. Unlike the others it didn't come with a Turbo option as the Sports were still being built at that time.
Corsa
Old 30-01-09, 15:57   #21
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
So i was right it was 4229, as i said mate have a crack, its a build number car never the less!!
Old 30-01-09, 16:38   #22
Boyracer
Polarized

Car: VL 5.0, VS 3.8
Sell the six off and drop in a worked carby 5.0 HDT motor and its value would triple.

Last edited by Boyracer; 30-01-09 at 16:42.
Boyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 16:48   #23
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyracer
Sell the six off and drop in a worked carby 5.0 HDT motor and its value would triple.
It would be worth more with an original engine and matching numbers. Most people who buy these types of cars are collectors... modified cars arent worth jack!
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 16:58   #24
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

Trader Rating: (39)
^ probably be worth less as its not original.
Psi_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-09, 17:46   #25
XCHASE
Gold Members

Car:
Well thanks for your help guys. Im waiting on her to call. Shes not certain when but she thinks she will sell up sometime soon. I will make a decision if the time comes on how much im prepared to spend on this car. Now i know its more than likely something more than a cheap wing and a sticker. I only said it would be worth 2gs easy not I didnt say thats how much i would pay..