User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Other Car Discussion
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 18-05-13, 19:47   #26
3lturbo

Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LOACH* View Post
I would have thought that most people on here would dislike the electric handbrake because you can't have as much fun with it. What are the advantages of it?

Do you still need to have the key in the ignition to make the engine start with the button?

100k is a lot of money but what other 600hp+ new cars are available in that price range.

Personally I don't mind the styling, will be good to see it in a variety of colours.

IMO the factory handbrakes are an eyesore, and to be honest you don't really buy a car like the GTS to do D1GP winning drifts, where you need to use the handbrake (well we don't anyway).

Front bumper and grill look ugly too, hopefully they sort out the styling for the series two when they bring one out later on down the track.

WhiteExec I think you should stick to your vl with blown air con, and no reverse too
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-13, 19:58   #27
trkdup
Official Member

Car: nike shox's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Quite possibly the ugliest rear I've ever seen. Ever.

Once I saw the rear, everything else was now null and void.
Have to agree that is so ugly. But each to their own I'm sure some poeple will make them look nice!!
trkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-13, 22:06   #28
RJB-223
(******)

Car:
Trader Rating: (28)
Quote:
I would have thought that most people on here would dislike the electric handbrake because you can't have as much fun with it. What are the advantages of it?

Do you still need to have the key in the ignition to make the engine start with the button?

100k is a lot of money but what other 600hp+ new cars are available in that price range.

Personally I don't mind the styling, will be good to see it in a variety of colours.
Main benefit of electric handbrake is design and ergonomics, you can design a simple and clean looking centre console without an ugly big lever in the way. When you have 430kW and 740Nm on tap in the GTS you definetly don't need a handbrake to have fun

VF range with push button start haven't got an ignition barrel. The key can be in your pocket or in the centre console to start the car.

Exterior styling may be dividing people at the moment, but in 2020 when aussie built RWD v8's will be extinct, I think a lot of people will be looking back at these VF's as aussie icons and people will accept the styling
RJB-223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-13, 22:10   #29
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
Can someone do a photoshop of the ass end lower..
Old 18-05-13, 22:25   #30
SHIZNT
Red Rocket! Go!

Car: MY99 WRX
Trader Rating: (8)
Quick dodgey photoshop....

Old 18-05-13, 23:33   #31
TRELL4
Useful Idiot

Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIZNT View Post
Quick dodgey photoshop....
Looks a tad better lower but still such a Camry rear end!

Front looks good though.
Old 19-05-13, 07:14   #32
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
Get rid of the boot spoiler, smoke the tail lights, delete the slim red lights, debadge and colour code the exhaust inserts
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-13, 08:49   #33
*LOACH*
Player

Car: Berlina Turbo Manual Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJB-223 View Post
Main benefit of electric handbrake is design and ergonomics, you can design a simple and clean looking centre console without an ugly big lever in the way. When you have 430kW and 740Nm on tap in the GTS you definetly don't need a handbrake to have fun

VF range with push button start haven't got an ignition barrel. The key can be in your pocket or in the centre console to start the car.

Exterior styling may be dividing people at the moment, but in 2020 when aussie built RWD v8's will be extinct, I think a lot of people will be looking back at these VF's as aussie icons and people will accept the styling
Thanks for the info.
Given the choice I would rather keep the mechanical handbrake as they can be integrated quite nicely into the design of the centre console and I would prefer to have it. I guess the electronic handbrake is set up so you can do hill starts with it?
The push button start however sounds great. I have had the ignition barrels on my VL and the VP I used to have fail away from home necessitating a locksmith.
*LOACH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-13, 14:30   #34
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROGMH View Post
I'm pretty impressed by the new VF range, especially the HSV styling. They're smart by having their top of the line car with over 600hp too!
I'm not too sure why but every where I read everyone absolutely hates the styling and bags out HSV reminiscing about when a walkinshaw was perfect (Yet didnt sell well).

I can't wait to see some of these out on the road!
The VL Walkinshaw did sell well until they expanded the run by another 250 cars due to demand.

Last edited by EvilPet; 19-05-13 at 14:32.
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 07:46   #35
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPet View Post
The VL Walkinshaw did sell well until they expanded the run by another 250 cars due to demand.
Years later dealers were modifying them to sell and get off the lot. I wouldn't call that great demand. That's why there's some with half body kits, calais fronts etc.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 12:58   #36
Bax

Car: Pushbike
Trader Rating: (41)
Two seconds of farting around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badpshop.jpg (184.0 KB, 42 views)
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 13:29   #37
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Those tailights have to go

5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 15:13   #38
CYNICL
Official Member

Car: '87 White VL Berlina factory 5Spd.
They seem to look better on the road than they do in the digital artist drawings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9adK2lEg4w

I don't mind the look of the VF Calais but they are all pretty meh.
CYNICL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 17:47   #39
RJB-223
(******)

Car:
Trader Rating: (28)
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Given the choice I would rather keep the mechanical handbrake as they can be integrated quite nicely into the design of the centre console and I would prefer to have it. I guess the electronic handbrake is set up so you can do hill starts with it?
The push button start however sounds great. I have had the ignition barrels on my VL and the VP I used to have fail away from home necessitating a locksmith.
The electric handbrake is not always necessary for hill starts. Instead, when the car detects a gradient/hill the electronic brake control module automatically applies pressure to the calliper pistons and the brakes hold the car.

You could engage the electric handbrake yourself if you want and than the handbrake will automatically disengage once clutch is engaged and a certain percentage of throttle is applied.
RJB-223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 17:55   #40
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Quote:
Years later dealers were modifying them to sell and get off the lot. I wouldn't call that great demand. That's why there's some with half body kits, calais fronts etc.
Did you read what I wrote? The initial run was so successful they expanded it by 250 (which THEN didn't sell) - To say the entire run of Walkinshaw cars was unsuccessful is incorrect.
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 23:55   #41
*LOACH*
Player

Car: Berlina Turbo Manual Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJB-223 View Post
The electric handbrake is not always necessary for hill starts. Instead, when the car detects a gradient/hill the electronic brake control module automatically applies pressure to the calliper pistons and the brakes hold the car.

You could engage the electric handbrake yourself if you want and than the handbrake will automatically disengage once clutch is engaged and a certain percentage of throttle is applied.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the electronic brake module could be set up to work with a manual handbrake anyway. Nice.
*LOACH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 16:01   #42
Stock_87
Player

Car: 1987 VL Berlina, 1989 TX5 Turbo
Face like a bashed arsehole
Stock_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 19:59   #43
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: VS exec forged LS3 + S482
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
Twice the power of the 215i GTS... sounds good.
Old 22-05-13, 14:27   #44
CYNICL
Official Member

Car: '87 White VL Berlina factory 5Spd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Eiv07dKkw
CYNICL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-13, 18:30   #45
b1ancardi
Player

Car: RB25det VL Berlina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
Front - looks like a wrx/subaru
Back - Mazda 6
Everyone keeps saying this.
While I agree, I dont think thats a bad thing. The Commodore has, gone from bland, to slightly less bland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIE
'i can hear it dosing in the air tonight... homa godd.. homa godd...'
b1ancardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-13, 18:37   #46
3lturbo

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/565...ures-announced . The fact that they stayed under 100k is impressive.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-13, 20:49   #47
Matt.
Player

Car: 1988 VL Vacationer 5 spd Sedan, 1984 Toyota Corona (JDM Styled Stance Build).

No comment.
Old 01-06-13, 23:46   #48
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Shoot me now.
Never thought a camry would look more aggressive then a clubby.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 21:07   #49
Turismo
Gold Members

Car: VE Berlina Daily
Enjoy it while it last. If things keep going the way they are we'll only have new ricer's to compare and modify.

I'm happy that Holden is still bringing powerfully cars to the table and not tucking tail like some other company's. It's still an Australian car (for the most part) and an aussie Icon.

That being said I think it could do with a bit of originality.
Turismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 21:40   #50
RB30DEVL
Player

Car: VY SS Commodore
re - VF

Quote:
I'm pretty impressed by the new VF range, especially the HSV styling. They're smart by having their top of the line car with over 600hp too!
I'm not too sure why but every where I read everyone absolutely hates the styling and bags out HSV reminiscing about when a walkinshaw was perfect (Yet didnt sell well).

I can't wait to see some of these out on the road!
Yeah and it would be nice to get better service from Holdens customer service department about these cars, the people through there and the dealers have been less than helpful when it comes to getting quotes either online or over the phone like I can't get through to this rep :-

Dear Russell,

We write in reference to your recent email correspondence received at Holden Customer Assistance regarding the availability of the Holden VF Commodore SS Sportwagon as a 6 speed manual.

As requested, we are responding to you via email.

We thank you for taking the time to contact us and wish to advise that currently, there are no plans for this vehicle to be made available in 6 speed manual transmission nor can it be custom ordered. However, please be advised that if such an announcement is to be made in the future, this information will be made available on the Holden website (www.holden.com.au)

Should you wish to discuss matters further, please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned on 1800 033 349 or via return email, quoting the above mentioned reference number.

Yours sincerely,

Bridget Hustwaite
Holden Customer Assistance Centre

This is what I get off this site :- http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...ce=kidsandcars

SS Sportwagon 6.0-litre V8 five-door wagon: $43,990 (manual), $46,100 (automatic)
SS-V Sportwagon 6.0-litre V8 five-door wagon: $47,490 (manual), $49,690 (automatic)
SS-V Redline Sportwagon 6.0-litre V8 five-door wagon: $53,490 (manual), $55,690 (automatic)
Calais V Sportwagon 6.0-litre V8 five-door wagon: $54,990 (automatic)

As above , it is the VF Calais V sportswagon which comes with the auto only option, not the VF Commodore SSV sportswagon as I was after technical info on them, I've always had that communication problem with "them", a bit like the people who always get me & my dad mixed up , we both drive Heron white Commodores but his is is a VX1 V6 model, whereas mine is a VY1 V8 SS model.

it's always been the same with Holden that the Calais & Statesmans have always been all autos standard, I've heard of people been able to order VL Calais with a manual transmission , I don't know how true that is but, SS Commodores have always had a factory standard manual transmission unless you want to pay over $2000 extra for the auto option.

Yeah they probably get annoyed with me because I never buy a brand new Holden but I've never been in a position where I could afford to buy one like that.

I've always been brand loyal towards Holden and always a Commodore person and I can't work out why the person I ring up at a dealer is rude to me when I'm after a quote or why their website fails to process a quote.

Probably by the time I can afford to buy the later model that one will be 5 years old.
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote