CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
JD CUSTOM

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 19-09-07, 19:20   #51
MadVK308
I LOVE THE SOUND OF VN's
 
MadVK308's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-08-04
Location: QLD, . . .
Car: 5 speed VLT Berlina, VXII Clubby
Trader Rating: (23)
Send a message via MSN to MadVK308
There is a guide on installing VY seats to a VL, not quite as straightforward is this is though.

Series 1 seat rails are actually attached to the seat base, wheras series 2 (they use a spacer on the passenger side) are not. This is why seies 2 rails are used for mods like this

Mick

EDIT: Series 1 rails are actually a different design too (drivers side)

Last edited by MadVK308; 26-09-07 at 10:55.
MadVK308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-07, 20:34   #52
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker
 
VLT-025's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-03-06
Location: Adelaide, Your VL's birthplace...Don't knock it
Car: They have 4 wheels and aren't making me rich
Trader Rating: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVK308
There is a guide on installing VY seats to a VL, not quite as straightforward is this is though.

Series 1 seat rails are actually attached to the seat base, wheras series 2 are not. This is why seies 2 rails are used for mods like this

Mick
Cheers
__________________
W.T.B. MOMO "RACE" 350mm steering wheel in good condition
VLT-025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 14:48   #53
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVK308
EDIT: Series 1 rails are actually a different design too (drivers side)
if they are different will the s2 rails fit in a s1 without having to drill holes in the floor?

and does anybody have an answer on fitting vn/p/q seats? (do they fit up the same) cheers fellas
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 20:13   #54
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
VL Series 1 seats and rails are entirely different. I suggest guys that you head down to your local wreckers and compare the seats out of an '86 VL, then check the seats in an '88 VL.

Headrests are square on Series 1; Series 2 are rounder (very similar, if not the same, to VN headrests).

No drilling needed, Mitch, and VN-VS seats will all fit VN-VS. Front seats from VN-VS will fit your VL if you swap the rails around (just swap the entire rail assembly on the VN-VS seat with your Series 2 VL rails). Back seats need to be cut and retrimmed.

Series 1 VL seats rails come off in one big piece, where as Series 2 rails can be seperated into a number of sections (making them perfect for retrofitting later model seats by swapping spacers and fittings). They're also held onto the seats with 13mm bolts, rather than 6mm hex bolts (they are the devil).
.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 20:33   #55
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
VL Series 1 seats and rails are entirely different. I suggest guys that you head down to your local wreckers and compare the seats out of an '86 VL, then check the seats in an '88 VL.

Headrests are square on Series 1; Series 2 are rounder (very similar, if not the same, to VN headrests).

No drilling needed, Mitch, and VN-VS seats will all fit VN-VS. Front seats from VN-VS will fit your VL if you swap the rails around (just swap the entire rail assembly on the VN-VS seat with your Series 2 VL rails). Back seats need to be cut and retrimmed.

Series 1 VL seats rails come off in one big piece, where as Series 2 rails can be seperated into a number of sections (making them perfect for retrofitting later model seats by swapping spacers and fittings). They're also held onto the seats with 13mm bolts, rather than 6mm hex bolts (they are the devil).
beautiful, thats what we like thanks 5spdvl
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 18:43   #56
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
No problems mate.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-07, 01:37   #57
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
fitted up vn calais seats on friday night they look pretty hot. the swapping of rails took about 10 minutes each, putting the seats in took another 30 mins each (dang) but by far the hardest part was geting the s2 rails, in the rain, removed a set of seats just o find they had s1 rails (wtf?) then had to remove anothr set while it was stilll raining. great mod highly reccomended.
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-07, 16:05   #58
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
heres what vn calaiss look like in my car -
before
after<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x154/SIroller/calaisnshepafterrepair089.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 07:57   #59
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Nice Mitch, love your work. I borrowed my little brother's grey leather VN Calais seats for a while; they do look sh*t hot.

What sort of power window switch are you running there?
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 10:00   #60
Counterpoint
Previously VL EXEC87
 
Counterpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-04-05
Location: VIC, Western Suburbs Somewhere...
Car: VL Executive 87
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to Counterpoint
Id done this to my vl but have since reverted back to Vl Berlina interior.

I cut the foam on either side of the rear case to reduce its size and allow the doors to close without touching then just pulled the material on tight. Also had to do the same with the sides on the back to make more room for the center piece. I made sure i didnít cut them back so far that they would no longer fit over the wheel tubs. Then for the center i cut and 1" off either end of the plastic while it was still attached but not the foam and pushed it in tight, fixing the plastic to the steal behind the seat. All fit perfect, no bags or stretches in the material at all. Had ppl asking who i got to modify the seats all the time.
Heres a link with a few pics.

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=83753
__________________
Quote:
Posted by ATMO_BT1
..be careful drifting but, that's how cars get bent and hearts get broken..
Counterpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 11:17   #61
MadVK308
I LOVE THE SOUND OF VN's
 
MadVK308's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-08-04
Location: QLD, . . .
Car: 5 speed VLT Berlina, VXII Clubby
Trader Rating: (23)
Send a message via MSN to MadVK308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
fitted up vn calais seats on friday night they look pretty hot. the swapping of rails took about 10 minutes each, putting the seats in took another 30 mins each (dang) but by far the hardest part was geting the s2 rails, in the rain, removed a set of seats just o find they had s1 rails (wtf?) then had to remove anothr set while it was stilll raining. great mod highly reccomended.
lol I had the same prob, I pulled a set of seats out of a half crushed car from the wreckers only to find they were series 1 (rest of car looked series 2)
MadVK308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 17:40   #62
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
Nice Mitch, love your work. I borrowed my little brother's grey leather VN Calais seats for a while; they do look sh*t hot.

What sort of power window switch are you running there?
no idea its an aftermarket item that came with the car. i thought at the time maybe it was a series one thing, (as my fathers 88 vl has the vl power switches) but later found out the truth. one day i will get it replaced with a stocko one. and cheers for the comment on the seats, grey leather would be nice.

tested these seats out last night on mt dandenong tourist road they are nice
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 15:50   #63
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
looking at doing this conversion?? i have some s2 rails available, also willing to help bolt it all up!
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 13:34   #64
boostn vl
Player
 
boostn vl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-12-07
Location: NSW, tweed
Car: vz clubsport 6.7 turbo vl turbo,
Trader Rating: (0)
who wants to sell me some s2 seat rails
boostn vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 20:50   #65
Danny_Boy
MYGMH-6
 
Danny_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27-10-07
Location: VIC, Melb, S.E suburbs
Trader Rating: (9)
great thread! i wouldnt mind doin this in the next month or so... but i dont know if i have s1 or s2 seats in my car as i bought these berlina seats($150 bargain!) because the old ones were rooted... see pic,

Danny_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 00:42   #66
XCHASE
Gold Members
 
XCHASE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-07-08
Location: SA, Adelaide
Car:
Trader Rating: (19)
I have just put VR SS seats in the front of my car and its a 86. I didnt have to change any rails or anything. Simply by drilling one hole in the left hand side of the drivers rail to suit the hex head bolt and getting a longer hex head bolt it fits straight in. I started to swap the rails and tracks over but didnt find it to be required. Sure the original track on the left side of the drivers protrudes past the original hole in the floor pan by an inch but it seems theres no reason to go to the trouble of changing tracks. My seats are marked underneath as dec1986 so assume its series 1. I then used some manifold washers as a extra support to the hex bolt but its not required. I will try and get some pics up soon. Just have to get the rear seats altered. Anyone got some pics of the rears in.??
XCHASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 07:16   #67
VL_Nick
Player
 
Join Date: 17-02-03
Location: Canberra, ACT
Car: VL Wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
so if you didnt change any rails on either of the seats then the passenger seat will sit too high on the inside.

So what you are saying on the drivers side is that you drilled a new hole in the rail to line upo with the hole in the floor? Why woudl you do that when it takes less that 5 minutes to swap over the rail.

I recently fitted some VR Senator seats into my VL (86 model) and although I have done this once before it took me only 10 minutes to swap over the rails on the seats so they will fit. Why bother drilling holes, it only makes it illegal that way as you have modified the mounts.
VL_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 09:54   #68
SIroller
CAL.415
 
SIroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-07
Location: International, Chapel Street
Trader Rating: (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL_Nick
So what you are saying on the drivers side is that you drilled a new hole in the rail to line upo with the hole in the floor? Why woudl you do that when it takes less that 5 minutes to swap over the rail.

Why bother drilling holes, it only makes it illegal that way as you have modified the mounts.
agreed that is dodgy as its not hard...
__________________
Hibernating.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 12:30   #69
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.
 
5spdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29-07-07
Location: VIC, City
Trader Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Boy
great thread! i wouldnt mind doin this in the next month or so... but i dont know if i have s1 or s2 seats in my car as i bought these berlina seats($150 bargain!) because the old ones were rooted... see pic,
FYI they are not Berlina seats, but actually Series 200 seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCHASE
I have just put VR SS seats in the front of my car and its a 86. I didnt have to change any rails or anything. Simply by drilling one hole in the left hand side of the drivers rail to suit the hex head bolt and getting a longer hex head bolt it fits straight in. I started to swap the rails and tracks over but didnt find it to be required. Sure the original track on the left side of the drivers protrudes past the original hole in the floor pan by an inch but it seems theres no reason to go to the trouble of changing tracks. My seats are marked underneath as dec1986 so assume its series 1. I then used some manifold washers as a extra support to the hex bolt but its not required. I will try and get some pics up soon. Just have to get the rear seats altered. Anyone got some pics of the rears in.??
That's illegal. And not safe.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-08, 14:44   #70
88VLE
Player
 
88VLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-02
Location: NSW, the gong
Car: VL calais replica (b4 it was stolen). Now a VT and VR Calais 5L.
Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to 88VLE
hey, i've done a search and found this thread..but i was wondering if anyone's made a thread about fitting vt,vx etc seats into a vr or earlier models??

i just bought vx calais leather seats and wouldn't mind sum info about fitting them to a vr. cheers, josh.
__________________
Nissmodores..dont hate, appreciate
88VLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 19:41   #71
Brodz
Gold Members
 
Brodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-05-08
Location: Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
Car: VN Clubsport #302, VN Exec slammed on chasers
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to Brodz
just did the front seat conversion, looking at doing the back, can any1 assist next weekend???
Brodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-09, 19:49   #72
FRKVLT
Gold Members
 
Join Date: 04-12-08
Location: VIC, Melb
Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
can you do the front seats even tho l have a series one?

will attempt it tomorrow.

Last edited by FRKVLT; 13-04-09 at 20:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
FRKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-09, 18:58   #73
Brodz
Gold Members
 
Brodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-05-08
Location: Melbourne, Northern Suburbs
Car: VN Clubsport #302, VN Exec slammed on chasers
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to Brodz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossvl
hey mate im in the process of puttin vn sv5000 seats into my vl, how much do u think it would cost to get a Upholsterer to do the back seat for me???

alsodoes any1 know were i can get a s2 passanger side inner rail spacer??? i really need 1
also looking for a price on getting someone to modify the back seat to fit
Brodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-09, 23:25   #74
ekul
Gold Members
 
ekul's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-07-07
Location: Adelaide, western
Car: vlt,ke70
Trader Rating: (4)
was going to put vn calais seats in my vl, i like the rear and front seats.

Do vn seats come with the adjustable hight of the seat? or do you use the ones off your vl seats? also any moding for the rear seats?
ekul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-09, 13:04   #75
ando05
Official Member
 
ando05's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30-03-08
Location: Adelaide, northern
Car: Turismo Vlt Berlina on sigs
Trader Rating: (6)
I put front an rear vn calais seats in my vl awhile back, fronts just follow this thread all works sweet, rear was a headache took ages to get right but once done looks mint.

If ya need any advice on the rears just PM me

Troy.
ando05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitting front VLT discs & calipers to the rear? captainah General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork 11 20-07-05 02:10
WTB: front seats - grey VL_Nick For Sale - Everything Else 0 16-08-04 11:32
wtb: grey front seats platinum For Sale - Everything Else 2 31-07-04 01:08
VS versus VT front seats - are they interchangeable? mwb Other Car Discussion 3 11-02-04 11:54
Fitting Calais S2 front seats into a 86 Exec S1 86VL General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork 23 10-05-03 12:54


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.