Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > V8 Discussion
GRUNT Performance

Old 17-11-10, 20:30   #1
Farrout
Official Member

Car: VL 5 sp, 07 Hilux SR5
Trader Rating: (0)
What clutch for efi conversion

Just got a replacement clutch for a 5L and T5 that is going into my VL. It was in a VH previously and the clutch that I pulled off is different to the HD Exedy one I just bought (for a VN V8). The old one has different hole centres, and although there are more holes in the flywheel they aren't threaded. Has anyone got any thoughts? If I were to tap the appropriate holes to fit the new clutch would it work fine with the older style v8 clutch pedal?

Old Cluch

Flywheel
Farrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-10, 22:09   #2
Pub247
Player

Car: VP Wagon VN Calais RB30 drag car
Trader Rating: (7)
is the motor an efi v8 or a carbie converted to efi. From my knowledge all v8 flywheels including chev will bolt up to a v8 so it may be a case of an early or chev flywheel bolted up or even aftermarket.
I see no reason why if another set of holes that lined up were tapped it wouldnt work as long as the holes are on a PCD and the housing is central.

My personaly opinion is you find a v8 flywheel to suit your new clutch or buy and return a clutch to suit the flywheel you have

Last edited by Pub247; 17-11-10 at 22:11.
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-10, 22:31   #3
Farrout
Official Member

Definetly an efi motor, engine prefix is VU.

Was thinking this may have been an earlier v8 clutch off the VH it came out of? Maybe the flywheel is off that too?
Old 18-11-10, 07:34   #4
admj1
Player

Car:
vn and vs v8 are different clutch pressure plates...

vn v8 has fitted bolts locating + attaching the pressure plate..
vs v8 has dowels and nonfitted bolts attaching the pressure plate..

probably a vs style (no idea when they started? vr?) non threaded holes are most likely the dowel holes..
id return the vn clutch and swap it for a vs clutch..
admj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-10, 16:50   #5
Farrout
Official Member

Ok, I returned the clutch and took my old one with me. It turned out it was a VS clutch so they swapped it over.

This leads me to ask if the pivot ball height and cable setup for the VS clutch is the same as for a VN? I've got a VN workshop manual and it says the pivot ball should be set at 105mm from the front of the bellhousing.

Also there are only two dowels in the flywheel, should there be three? Does this matter?
Old 20-11-10, 07:50   #6
admj1
Player

Car:
unsure how many there should be - i would have expected more than two however and would be inclined to use them all.
not using them would not reduce the capability of the clutch however it would probably affect the balance..
they serve only to align the pressure plate with the flywheel - otherwise it could be installed off centre.. the pressure plate itself would be driven by friction alone and wouldnt impart any shear load on the dowel pins.
admj1 is offline   Reply With Quote