Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 07-02-05, 21:30   #76
Slushbox
Player

Car: VL Calais - 3L N/A
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaWags
sweet thanks coasty. sounds all good, but the only bit im worried about is the whole cutting the guard. dont wanna do something i can fix ya know...
I fitted my PVC piping almost 4 years ago now, but at the time i didn't have access to a 100mm drill bit so I used a Jigsaw. It went through the steel like a hot knive slicing butter, just required a steady hand. There days I use a drill bit.

Anyway, the point I was going to make was that when I was originally doing my I was worried about making a mess cutting the hole, and making it prone to Rust. I sprayed a quick coat of Primer round the cut, and 4 years latter the hole is still rust free. No Regrets.

Good Luck. Worth doing the mod as everyone else has said - runs cooler, and improved throttle response. Highway driving at 2am is alot more fun - Crisp cold Air... Beautiful.
Slushbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-05, 15:10   #77
SilvaWags
Player

Car: 87' Waghoon
yeah was thinkin the same as you about the rust slushbox. Sounds like a bit of primer is the go. thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-05, 18:58   #78
michael2427
Official Non-VL Owner

Car: Coming Soon
Trader Rating: (10)
planning to do this with a Group A Front spoiler in the next couple of weeks, just a question has anyone been caught, fined with this setup on it? or is it basically hidden?
michael2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 19:28   #79
Slushbox
Player

Car: VL Calais - 3L N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2427
planning to do this with a Group A Front spoiler in the next couple of weeks, just a question has anyone been caught, fined with this setup on it? or is it basically hidden?
It's totally hidden, especially with the Group A kit. I've moulded my PVC pipe to fit over the back over the hole in the bumper. I don't have this car anymore so I can't take a photo of it.

Also hidden behind the normal VL front - depending how the pipe is fitted, it may be showing a little out the bottom. The VL below is my new project - please excuse the different bumpers, rough paint and filthy wheels.

I've only had one cop say anything about it, he had to lie on the ground to see it!, and he just said as long as it's secured to the car, it's fine. Don't know what the Aussie laws are like though.

Last edited by Slushbox; 16-03-05 at 08:13.
Slushbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 19:40   #80
michael2427
Official Non-VL Owner

sounds safe to do i guess you put your pipe near where the light hole is?
Old 01-03-05, 19:47   #81
michael2427
Official Non-VL Owner

and with what with someone siad earlier about blocking the pipe off with a cap on raining days or dusty roads, wouldn't the car overheat?
Old 01-03-05, 21:45   #82
nicko01
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2427
and with what with someone siad earlier about blocking the pipe off with a cap on raining days or dusty roads, wouldn't the car overheat?
the car wouldnt go at all :/
unless you made the hole in the air box unblocked when you put a cap on
nicko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-05, 22:11   #83
SilvaWags
Player

Car: 87' Waghoon
i reckon if ya worried, tape some fly screen over it. be really its gotta get through the air filter and afm mesh screens to do any serious damage...
Old 02-03-05, 16:53   #84
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko01
the car wouldnt go at all :/
unless you made the hole in the air box unblocked when you put a cap on
plug the hole in the bottom of the airbox, and take the factory snorkel back out if thats what you had blocked
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-05, 21:16   #85
Jonno
Official Member

Car: Marlin Blue VLBT, Opel Corsa OPC, GQ Patrol
Trader Rating: (2)
I just finished doing the intake today. Noticed a slight increase in power over the cone filter I had sitting in the engine bay before (sucking in all that hot air).

As for cutting the hole in the metal, I just drilled the hole and took a hammer and a strong chisel to it, cut through the sheet metal like warm butter. I was a bit skeptical about the pipe catching leaves and crap off the road, so instead of mounting it on a 90 degree angle, I just used the one 45 degree bend so it angles down a bit, then I bought a square end for the pipe from the hardware. If I can get the end off the PVC again (that glue holds strong!) I might put some fly screen in there (My car does a bit of off road driving so just to be safe).

Cheers for the tutorial!
Jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-05, 15:26   #86
JuZi
Official Member

Car: '88 Blue VL Series 2 Exec
Send a message via MSN to JuZi
the lfy screen should stop you getting shyte in ur airbox, mine has none and it'll get a couple of small leaves and a little sand (not sure how that got there), there was mostly dead flies there, but the filter stayed fairly clean, but i'de recommend cleaning it every 10,000 instead of 20-40k cause all the dirt sticks to oil filters much more than the paper ones.

slushbox ur lucky you got a dumb cop, you're not supposed to cut through the metal so it is illegal, but if you paint it black nobody will see it
Old 15-03-05, 07:34   #87
calais76
Player

Car:
Does anyone know if cutting the guard is legal in QLD?
calais76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-05, 19:27   #88
Toucan
Player

Car: Banana Boat
Trader Rating: (6)
[sorry if this is a stupid question] would this work on a VN?
Old 21-03-05, 19:39   #89
quikvl
10.88 @ 126.6 mph

Car: VL Calais Turbo SII 320kw
Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via MSN to quikvl
yeah would work on anycar...the method would be pretty much the same for a VN as the VL...but i think the flex-able pipe is better for a VN because there is some brackets to go around....
Old 04-04-05, 00:55   #90
Bundaboy
Player

Car: VL Exec N/A 6 Cylinder Auto
I wouldnt mind doing this to mine. Only problem is around my area if floods on the roads and the water comes up to about where the pipes you put in for it are, it would suck in water. Also I want to keep my car legal. Is it really illegal to cut metal in the gaurd like that?

Last edited by Bundaboy; 04-04-05 at 00:58.
Bundaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 14:56   #91
BADVLSL
10 Sec VLT.. err.. to 100

Send a message via MSN to BADVLSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundaboy
I wouldnt mind doing this to mine. Only problem is around my area if floods on the roads and the water comes up to about where the pipes you put in for it are, it would suck in water. Also I want to keep my car legal. Is it really illegal to cut metal in the gaurd like that?
I wouldnt reccomend doing it then if its prone to 'floods'
But if you did or already have done it.. you can put a cap over the end of the pipe near your front bumper and use the orignal hole up in then engine bay.. usually no water will get access to it then

Legality of this issue has been covered times before..
In a cops eye he can see it as not orignal and structual damage (the cutting of the hole) which in that case itll be defected and a new piece wouldhave to be rewelded into that spot in which you cut that hoole unfortunately!
Old 14-04-05, 19:04   #92
[vlt300]
Player

Car: vl calais turbo
Send a message via MSN to [vlt300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockyMcStock
i did what coastvl did but used a large 15cm-10cm pvc adapter piece as a bellmouth on the end of mine. if people are worried about the filter, get a k+n panel filter instead of a pod, it will look stock and be just as effective.
yeah ive done the cold air intake also. pretty much exactly how the pics show it with a kn filter on it. works good i reckon compared to the pod that i had sitten under the bonnet. and hopefully cops wont see it either
[vlt300] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-05, 11:58   #93
1ShyVL
V.I.P

Car: 1990 Toyota Celsior
Send a message via MSN to 1ShyVL Send a message via Yahoo to 1ShyVL
Its a bit harder to do with my car as where the piping would go down, i got my intercooler piping there, and i got a pod sitting behind the headlight, so its just sucking in hot air, so i need to do something, but damn its cramped there so its hard
1ShyVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-05, 17:02   #94
ExecTurbo
304ci and counting.

Car: 5.0L VS Exec, Datto B310 Coupe Project
Trader Rating: (3)
with a cooler and a pod filter, the difference between having cold air to the filter and not is negligable. being that either way, the air has to pass through a huge heat exchanger (the intercooler) the temp difference would be around .1 - .6 of a degree...

On VL N/A's and VLT's with no cooler and a box filter this makes a difference, but with a cooler, this isnt nessacary.
Old 15-04-05, 17:05   #95
1ShyVL
V.I.P

Car: 1990 Toyota Celsior
Send a message via MSN to 1ShyVL Send a message via Yahoo to 1ShyVL
You have seen my engine bay (Read - respraying rocker cover)
So my POD is right to stay where it is?
1ShyVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 00:31   #96
beat VN
Player

Car: GT Passage
Send a message via MSN to beat VN
VERY NICE ARTICLE, help me heaps. does have many positives as it has a nice suking sound when accelerating , seems to want to pik up quicker aswell. every little bit helps. i did this last yr on my VL N/A and havent had anywater go even close to the filter, the filter does get a little dirtier but owel. OH i just used the stock air box and had 2 45 degree bends so the opening faces directly to the front(100mm piping heated in an oven and at the tip it opens out to 150mm. alos the stock whole in the front of the airbox is blocked of to give the air a little force at getting in there.
I only have this and a 2 1/2 lukey exhaust and mine will keep up with or most of the time beat a 6cyl up to VS. tis funny watchin them laugh then u sit beside them the whole way n get to about 90 n begin to cruise past them . Tis HILERIOUS!!

for example this guy was drivin next to me looked over n laughed at me try to race him(VR 5sp ute) syco mags/paint and he thought he could get me goin down one gear but he went down another n still sat next to him
Old 06-06-05, 18:57   #97
daggy
Player

Car: Nissan Navara d22, Kawasaki zx7r
Send a message via MSN to daggy
if ther was a way of not cuttign the body maybe runnign down the side of the radiator(not sure on the spacing that is there) but would taht be leagel then? or could they get you for cutting up your airbox?
daggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 19:04   #98
daggy
Player

i raced a vs ute at saturday witha full car load 3 times and not once did it get close to me.. (dead stock vl ;s) how much better would it go with a cai ?
Old 06-06-05, 19:22   #99
michael2427
Official Non-VL Owner

for starters the vs will beat a n/a vl anyday mate, get a cai, extractors, chip and you might be able to keep up with it
Old 06-06-05, 20:02   #100
daggy
Player

well i guess saturday night was a speshal night cause it dint beat me once.. and how muc more noticeable will the cool air intake be? or is it barely noticeable ?