Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 18-07-06, 17:23   #1
da_ilks
Player

Car: Liberty B4
Trader Rating: (1)
Help Me Choose A Gas System.

Guys,

I have just found out that I can get Gas Injection installed on the VL. Now, gas injection appeals to me because it means I can keep the unique aspect of my car, namely injection

Basically, Rapidflow in Hoppers Crossing have 2 system that they can install (which if I decide to keep the car I will doing)

System 1 - Coventional Straight Gas

This is your typical setup. Gas convertor, replacing the throttle body etc. Because I have a VP auto (no elec box) from what I can tell the only thing the computer will control is spark... so bit of a downside as I don't really want to lose 'injection'. Also, according to TTVN, the gas convertor hits it's limit at 4,500rpm. Also uses a bit more fuel and loses a little power (according to Gas Research)

System 2 - Gas Injection

This isn't specifically for the old Aussie 5ltr, but they would adapt the kit they use on Gen3's. It is what it says - an actual gas injection system which interfaces with the normal GM ECU, they install gas injectors etc. No power loss and minimal economy loss.

Now... the reason I am umming and ahhing, is cost. The normal straight gas system is $2600, gas injection is $4000 (fully dyno tuned etc) Fair whack of difference...

Gas Research said they don't really install the injection system on 5ltrs because their convential setup works fine, however, I really do like the idea of gas injection.

What are other peoples thoughts? Could/would you justify spending the extra $1400 to retain injection?
Old 18-07-06, 17:46   #2
Sinister
Player

Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
Why do you want either??? Bit of math should make this decision a bit easier..
Say u spend 40 a week on petrol, with gas youll be spending about half of that, thus per year youll save around $1000, this means its gonna take you nearly 3 years just to break even with the gas system let alone before it starts saving you money, and obviously 4years+ before you break even with the gas injection. If you plan to keep the car for a long time then go for it, but consider the above as food for thought..

personally i've been in a GRA 5litre and i couldnt complain one bit how it went, as smooth as the efi car... if the injection is THAT much better and they offer a FULL warranty on parts and install (its of course still very new) and money aint an issue then go for it
Old 18-07-06, 17:47   #3
2filthy3
Player

Car: vlt
Trader Rating: (0)
http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=17884

read this?
2filthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-06, 18:07   #4
da_ilks
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister
Why do you want either??? Bit of math should make this decision a bit easier..
Say u spend 40 a week on petrol, with gas youll be spending about half of that, thus per year youll save around $1000, this means its gonna take you nearly 3 years just to break even with the gas system let alone before it starts saving you money, and obviously 4years+ before you break even with the gas injection. If you plan to keep the car for a long time then go for it, but consider the above as food for thought..

personally i've been in a GRA 5litre and i couldnt complain one bit how it went, as smooth as the efi car... if the injection is THAT much better and they offer a FULL warranty on parts and install (its of course still very new) and money aint an issue then go for it
At the moment I spend around $130+ a week on petrol, as my VL is my daily. I reckon on gas I'd half my fuel bill (at least, PULP is around $1.45L, gas $.60cents), so it'd probably drop down to $60? I'd have it paid off in just over a year I reckon...

Having said that, I'm kinda finding it hard to justify the extra $1600, but been able to retain injection would be nice. Just not sure if it's $1600 nice

Last edited by da_ilks; 18-07-06 at 18:10.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-06, 18:14   #5
Yeti
UONP - Coming Back!

Car:
Trader Rating: (55)
lol, just give your car to me, problem solved! How much room would the tank take up is my question? I like my boot space. I need to fit all my victims in there and having more rooms cut's down my petrol bill
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-06, 18:14   #6
Sinister
Player

Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
At the moment I spend around $130+ a week on petrol, as my VL is my daily. I reckon on gas I'd half my fuel bill (at least, PULP is around $1.45L, gas $.60cents), so it'd probably drop down to $60? I'd have it paid off in just over a year I reckon...

Having said that, I'm kinda finding it hard to justify the extra $1600, but been able to retain injection would be nice. Just not sure if it's $1600 nice
in that case it can be justified.... u know u spend nearly 7g a year on petrol? it would be more econimical to buy an excel or barina or something on the side as a daily even compared to gassing the VL sorry just the emerging accountant in me plus if u ever wanna mod either the injection afaik is limited and would get expensive... gra at least u can add extra TB's and converters
Old 18-07-06, 18:18   #7
da_ilks
Player

lol I'm aware of how much I spend on fuel, it's farking disgraceful!!!! Explains why I'm always poor!

Nah I hate the 2 car thing, been there, done that! I shouldn't have bought another V8, but I bought this on impulse and went nuts

I won't be doing any mods anytime soon on the car - trying to save for a house.

Basically my choices are:

Sell the VL (at a loss already) and buy a 4 banger
OR
Spend a little more and convert her to gas and keep it for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti
lol, just give your car to me, problem solved! How much room would the tank take up is my question? I like my boot space. I need to fit all my victims in there and having more rooms cut's down my petrol bill
rofllll

I'd get straight gas and have the tank half in the boot/half where fuel tank used to live. Should come to roughly the same height as the rear hump, so just build a flat floor across it

Last edited by da_ilks; 18-07-06 at 18:19. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-06, 18:35   #8
Yeti
UONP - Coming Back!

Car:
Trader Rating: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
Spend a little more and convert her to gas and keep it for a few years.
You know how much i lvoe this thing! Do that, how many cars are like yours? Putting it on Gas would make it even more individual
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 00:00   #9
da_ilks
Player

Yeah that's what I was thinking

Is there any recommended places to talk to? I've spoken to Rapid Flow in Hoppers Crossing, anyone else?