Old 06-06-04, 23:07   #1
richo
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
VL Security Questions

Hey hows it going.
I am very cautious about my Vl.
Its my first car and i wanna get some security on it, cause the key is nearly stuffed.

Now i am going to buy a really good alarm and get it professionaly installed.
Now i am thinking about getting new locks put in it and also a new ignition barrell so if someone does get in with my key they cant start it cause it will be with another key.

Now i wanto get central locking and power windows for my alarm benefits.

My questions are

1 - How much would it cost for Power Windows and Central Locking kits to buy not installed ?

2 - Is it better to get them out of a Calais and get the Calais doors etc ??

3 - I know alot of people hate solex locks but if they are installed properly are they good ?

4 - Is there any other commodore above VL what can fit the locks etc ??

Please write back thanks.
Bye
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-04, 03:49   #2
87vl
Player

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via ICQ to 87vl Send a message via MSN to 87vl
get ur electric windows out of a calais, either on here or from the wreckers. or buy a cheap/smashed one from the auctions and get what u want out of that.

solex locks are alright if there put in properly. dont deadlock them if ur gonna get central locking though...they will stuff the actuator for the c/l.

if u just buy 4 calais doors u will hav to respray the car whereas if u do what i did and put them in urself u dont hav to go through getting everything painted, and taking doors off is a bitch.

only vb-vl can use solex locks i think...

my 2c
87vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-04, 11:27   #3
richo
Player

Car:
I am thinking about getting central locking, should i get it off a calais or just buy the kits ?
And whats this thing with dead locks for solex ??
Write back.
Old 08-06-04, 12:28   #4
poohkies
no it's a calais not a vl

Car: VL Calais Turbo,Autech 260rs, GT Spec B Liberty wagon, R33 4 door daily
Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to poohkies Send a message via Skype™ to poohkies
cental locking kit's are $50 and take u couple hours to put in, peace of piss
poohkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 09:26   #5
richo
Player

Car:
Witht he central locking someone was saying with solex locks in dead lock that the locks dont work properly ?
Is that true
Old 18-06-04, 02:37   #6
87vl
Player

yes that is true. u can dead lock them by turning the key all the way left or right (cant remember exactly).

the reason they will bugger up the c/l is bcos the motor cant push the lock forward to unlock it, as the slide lock inside the car isnt functional in 'deadlock' mode.

and yer i hav heard that they dont dead lock properly also but u hav to install them a certain way to get them to work i think.

Last edited by 87vl; 18-06-04 at 02:41.
Old 18-06-04, 09:54   #7
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (27)
New locks and ignition barrel are a waste of money. any door lock including solex are easy to overcome with a big screwdriver

ignition barrel isn't the problem it's the shroud around the column that is

who pays attention to an alarm ? almost nobody so spend the money on silent anti theft devices: immobilisers

www.Facebook.com/cpv.com.au
"Real cars, real history"
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-04, 19:13   #8
PISTVL
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (9)
aus880 i remeber we were talking about the benefits of quick track etc.. i remember u were mentioning that they do not work in underground car parks as in they can be tracked signal is lost.... just an update my friend who has quick track installed a number of times his alarm went off in a car park eg bondi westfields about 4 levels under and he did receive a call from his tracking company! did u mean that they can not tell the location of the car when in a underground car park??
Old 18-06-04, 19:15   #9
PISTVL
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (9)
sorry for the typos 3rd line was meant to be they cant be tracked/signal is lost..
Old 18-06-04, 19:21   #10
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTVL
sorry for the typos 3rd line was meant to be they cant be tracked/signal is lost..
No worries, Yeh they work in some undergorund carparks but not in all. as you rightly say they won't locate which level the cars on anyway.

Thieves often put cars in locations where they believe won't get signal, then come back later. if the car's still there and nobody else is then they have the green light to strip it there and then.
or they dump and come back later to see if the car had a tracker and is recovered now

Old 21-06-04, 03:42   #11
87vl
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880
No worries, Yeh they work in some undergorund carparks but not in all. as you rightly say they won't locate which level the cars on anyway.

Thieves often put cars in locations where they believe won't get signal, then come back later. if the car's still there and nobody else is then they have the green light to strip it there and then.
or they dump and come back later to see if the car had a tracker and is recovered now
aus880,

Dont want u 2 take me the wrong way, but u seem to know a lot about this stuff with vls and other cars too well. Not that it's a bad thing, i give u credit for ur knowledge and all.
Is this bcos u hav owned ur fare share of vls b4, or u know people that steal or used to steal them.

like i said dont get offended or anything, if u want to PM me instead of replying feel free.
Old 21-06-04, 08:31   #12
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vl
aus880,

Dont want u 2 take me the wrong way, but u seem to know a lot about this stuff with vls and other cars too well. Not that it's a bad thing, i give u credit for ur knowledge and all.
Is this bcos u hav owned ur fare share of vls b4, or u know people that steal or used to steal them.

like i said dont get offended or anything, if u want to PM me instead of replying feel free.
No offence taken, I've just been interested in car security for many years(i'm a lot older than probably anyone on here) and noticed how easy it is to overcome virtually every system. also read lots about the matter and spoken to police about their experience with car theft.
Been to many stolen cars alight as well, most memorable being the WRX that was just a floorpan basically and had been stripped and then flat towed for a short distance before being set alight.
People watched a guy rolling down the street steering it just before he set it alight, would have looked ridiculous seeing it

'spose I've therefore come to a few conclusions over the years about the best way to try to prevent theft.

Old 21-06-04, 09:15   #13
revelry
I hate cars.

Car: Fairlane
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to revelry
Best security is never park it somewhere you don't trust. My car is always out the back of my house and rarely will I leave it on the street.

Immobilisers i've heard are good but how do they work? Do they just kill the motor so it can't start up? If so wouldn't they then just be able to sit the car in neutral and push it?
Old 21-06-04, 09:21   #14
mustbe8
Player

Car:
Quote:
spose I've therefore come to a few conclusions over the years about the best way to try to prevent theft.
And those are?
mustbe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-04, 09:28   #15
mustbe8
Player

Car:
Quote:
who pays attention to an alarm ? almost nobody so spend the money on silent anti theft devices: immobilisers
That depends, have you ever been in a car with 140db screamers inside it? Also, most alarms come with imobilisation points.

If a theif has to do more than simply get in and drive away then they will always think twice about stealing your car.
mustbe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-04, 11:47   #16
Munro-
BLEH

Car: VLT
Trader Rating: (17)
Send a message via ICQ to Munro-
You want to safe guard a VL. Its not possible. If a thief wants your car its gone! I had a problem with my "alarm system" it has dual immobilisers and central locking... Its great other than the fact that the immobilisers dont mean **** if you know anything about the systems you have put in. Basically they will stop honest theives that just want to go for a joy ride. But if someone wants your car for parts it is dead easy to get around this ****. There is no way to safeguard a car.

Hope this helps for every1 getting a security system.
Munro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-04, 16:29   #17
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch
You want to safe guard a VL. Its not possible. If a thief wants your car its gone! I had a problem with my "alarm system" it has dual immobilisers and central locking... Its great other than the fact that the immobilisers dont mean **** if you know anything about the systems you have put in. Basically they will stop honest theives that just want to go for a joy ride. But if someone wants your car for parts it is dead easy to get around this ****. There is no way to safeguard a car.

Hope this helps for every1 getting a security system.

That's my experience with most immobilisers, i was horrified at how easy they are to get around.

Old 21-06-04, 20:03   #18
dasmoogan
Player

Car: '75 XB Falcon Wagon
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelry
Best security is never park it somewhere you don't trust. My car is always out the back of my house and rarely will I leave it on the street.

Immobilisers i've heard are good but how do they work? Do they just kill the motor so it can't start up? If so wouldn't they then just be able to sit the car in neutral and push it?
Exactly, there's always a way of stealing a car, including something as simple as putting it in neutral a push it, coz a steering lock can be broken without a pinch of piss. Basically, if someone decides they want your car more than you do, you'd better hope you're around at the time because there's not a lot else you can do about it.
dasmoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-04, 03:00   #19
vlclassic
Player

Car: series II VL Calais
Send a message via MSN to vlclassic
Seriously, where do these thieves sell their stolen parts to? Mechanics? Private sales? Because alot of vl owners would be on the lookout for their parts for along time.. Especially wheels, intercoolers and other obvious parts. Obviously this kind of crime is 'big time' if the parts are shipped interstate and/or sold interstate. Makes you think why there isn't a system for part numbers to be recorded so they can't be sold, obviously not many people want to go to the effort until its too late.
vlclassic is offline   Reply With Quote