User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > Western Australia
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 09-04-09, 19:51   #51
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
I had Police wait for me to come out to the car park at Food Kingz on Alexander Drive last September on my second day back in Oz.

Here's the gist of the conversation as I've told this story many times now.

The police lights and siren came on as I turned off my alarm.

I guess they were expecting some 19yo (I handed my license at their request) but then asked me to pop my bonnet.

"Here we go.." I thought to myself.

Then one of them proceeded to tell me that my modifications (from HDT) were illegal.

An argument ensued.

"You're about 21-22 right?" - He responds with a "Yes".

"So you're telling me you're an expert on a vehicle that was released during a time you were in nappies?

"On what basis are you alleging? - Are you an expert in these cars - mine is the only one of it's type in WA"

"Well it's modified...illegally" he responds.

"Yeah, but BY HDT, and such modifications are no different to HSV mods - they're LEGAL"

"No it's not....the car doesn't comply with ADRs"

I shake my head.

"HDT had secondary car manufacturer status JUST LIKE HSV" - you're saying it was not - What ADRs doesn't it comply with?

There is a pause. I knew he didn't know what "secondary car manufacturing status means OR relevant ADRs"

"Can I please take both of your badge numbers as I object to being harassed"

"You can't even quote me the relevant ADRs you say this car does not meet"

"I'll be taking this to the Ombudsman"

"Furthermore, what grounds did you have to wait for me in the car park? - has this car been reported stolen or are you just harassing me - I'm just having dinner over there and I haven't violated any law - THAT'S HARASSMENT - I'm sure the Ombudsman and your Police Commissioner will hear about that as well"

"Wait here"

I reach for my phone. "I'm advising I'll be recording this conversation now so there will be no issues with who said what"

"So you can't quote me the ADR law I'm breaking?"

A pause and hesitation and they look at each other.

He hands back my license "Have a good evening sir..."

They walk back to their car and drive off.

*ssholes.

Lessons learned:

- If you're in the right, take out a recording device and advise you will be recording the conversation. They CANNOT object to that according to my Barrister as long as you advise them.
- Reasoning being is that recording a conversation allows an accurate transcript of the conversation if there are any disputes
- If they refuse, state that you believe you're being harassed and can you please have their names and their badge number and that you'll be making a complaint to the Ombudsman and also the Police Commissioner via your local MP.

At that point they *should* back down because it's too much hassle and paperwork.

BUT just be aware, if you take them on, make sure you do the right thing on the road thereafter.

I took a Senior Sargeant to court and won and I avoided driving my car in the Fremantle / Rockingham area for years after that because I knew if he ever pulled me over, he'd throw the book at me for anything he could trump up.

Last edited by EvilPet; 09-04-09 at 19:58.
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 23:46   #52
joelah501
25 club

Car: VLCT RB25DET
Trader Rating: (1)
Haha that would've taken some balls. Nice to see that they backed down when they realised they were in the wrong, and didn't try to ping you for some other stupid reason just to get back at you. Good on you man.
Old 10-04-09, 02:01   #53
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelah501
Haha that would've taken some balls. Nice to see that they backed down when they realised they were in the wrong, and didn't try to ping you for some other stupid reason just to get back at you. Good on you man.
I don't really take too kindly to being harassed. I regularly get hassled by WA Customs and Immigration at Perth airport and I ALWAYS have my Barrister's number on hand if things start going awry. Last time I was quizzed as to why my nephew didn't look anything like me. I stopped them there and loudly said whether that was a racist comment and whether such a comment was called for, and also their full name as I object to such questions which has nothing to do with customs nor immigration. You'd never seen a bloke pack my bags so quickly and let us both through.

You know I live abroad and travel extensively. Guess where I get hassled the most?

PERTH!

It always starts with Immigration at Perth Airport, then a full 100% search at customs.

More than likely I'll get pulled over during my time at Perth and hassled about my car.

Last time I was back I was assaulted at a pub (the Brizzie) by a complete stranger wanting to pick a fight, then at Target of all places buying some socks by some bloke who clearly thought I was someone else, and then to top it off, some *sshole vandalised my car causing around 6K of damage.

Perth has really gone down the toilet.

Regardless I ALWAYS stand up for myself when I'm being victimised.
Old 10-04-09, 10:19   #54
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

Car: R51 Pathfinder
Trader Rating: (12)
what did they do to your car????
Old 10-04-09, 10:28   #55
SLOW6
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT turbo 'sport', VE Maloo LS7, customized 2011 Suzuki Hayabusa
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelah501
I think they KNEW that they were in the wrong... they just realised he's not to be ****ed with... Cops will try as much as you can give them, thats why there like dogs. MOST of them... Ive had a lot of good ones mind you but majority have got issues.

Customs are the worse in Perth... I know... I used to work for Qantas for 10 years. I used to get cheap travel and go everywhere. Ive been thru many many places and the hardest place to go through is PERTH!!! im dead serious...

I now come back throught customs I always go through the RED section to be searched etc, they say to me, "you havent declared anything so you dont need to", im like, yes but i always get picked out to be 'randomly' searched so im saving myself the hassles... a few times they have assured me its ok and to go through and while being stood in line ive been tapped on the shoulder to come and be searched and interogated! hhaaha.. i walk past the person that told me, 'its ok', and usually smile and say, "see told you so".

One time this stupid customs whroe went thru my video camera and starting looking at footage of me videoing my gf in our hotel room,, she says "who is this girl?" im like none of your business but its my gf... "is she over 18" im like what are you trying to suggest? Give me back my video camera,..she replies with "you dont have any rights here!!!" pffft... ass clowns!

No wonder authorities are getting shot at and burnt and attacked... they need to screen no just for ppl who can handle the jobs but for ppl who arent out to change the world in a single day!!!
Old 11-04-09, 13:33   #56
MaZzA
HYPO VL

Trader Rating: (21)
perth cops suck balls
they are all pigs
***in ****s just got me doin a u-turn
lucky i didnt get a sticker though, i couldnt get up the curb when they pulled me over
MaZzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 19:32   #57
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksvl
what did they do to your car????
Vandalised at Motorvation - take a look at the MOTORVATION thread elsewhere on this.

Worse thing, despite the calls and emails to MOTORPLEX, STILL no response!!

How's that for courtesy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOW6
I think they KNEW that they were in the wrong... they just realised he's not to be ****ed with... Cops will try as much as you can give them, thats why there like dogs. MOST of them... Ive had a lot of good ones mind you but majority have got issues.

Customs are the worse in Perth... I know... I used to work for Qantas for 10 years. I used to get cheap travel and go everywhere. Ive been thru many many places and the hardest place to go through is PERTH!!! im dead serious...

I now come back throught customs I always go through the RED section to be searched etc, they say to me, "you havent declared anything so you dont need to", im like, yes but i always get picked out to be 'randomly' searched so im saving myself the hassles... a few times they have assured me its ok and to go through and while being stood in line ive been tapped on the shoulder to come and be searched and interogated! hhaaha.. i walk past the person that told me, 'its ok', and usually smile and say, "see told you so".

One time this stupid customs whroe went thru my video camera and starting looking at footage of me videoing my gf in our hotel room,, she says "who is this girl?" im like none of your business but its my gf... "is she over 18" im like what are you trying to suggest? Give me back my video camera,..she replies with "you dont have any rights here!!!" pffft... ass clowns!

No wonder authorities are getting shot at and burnt and attacked... they need to screen no just for ppl who can handle the jobs but for ppl who arent out to change the world in a single day!!!
I had a girl at customs go through my photos once and quiz me about people in them. Like WTF? What does that have to do with anything.

I once flew back to Melbourne to do a presentation for BP and I was requested to explain the contents of the slide pack. I refused stating that contents were "client confidential" and that revealing the contents publicly at this stage could affect the share price (yes it could actually).

I stopped them there and requested to speak to someone in charge and then paused and said I'm calling my Barrister and BP Legal - how could the contents of a slidepack be an issue with customs and immigration?

Again, STAND YOUR GROUND.

I was let go pretty quickly upon threat of lawyers.

Last edited by EvilPet; 11-04-09 at 19:39. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-04-09, 17:06   #58
mdbvlct
Gold Members

Car: Evo 8 MR , suzuki swift Gti (daily)
Trader Rating: (6)
lol aaahhh yes the boys in blue,Rather fine lads i rekon =\.

i was driving home from my mates house late 1 sunday night about 2 n abit months ago when i got pulled up round the corner from my house at 1230 at night ...."have u had a drink this evening?" yes mr officer about 3 hrs ago n b4 i could finish my scentence the sargent cums bursting in."DO U HAVE ANYTHING IN THE CAR WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT" "no sir" "do u mind if we chek?" nuh go for it ... at 1230 on a sunday morning i had to be at work in leess than 6 hrs these pigs tore my car apart ... even looking through me old maccas bags ... no matta what .. the cops are c*nts PURE and SIMPLE they dont care bout u at all .
Old 14-04-09, 10:45   #59
SHAUNUS
Player

Car: D40 Outlaw on 24's, 2013 CRF 450, 2010 CRF 250
Trader Rating: (0)
the only troubles i had with my car and cops in perth were having to call them on two different occasions at approx 4 in the morning reporting theft attempts.

they were so blunt towards me too. they were cannington police. instead of asking about the break in and attempted theft they seemed more interested in who i live with and my gf's name etc. i was blown away. this hell bitch female cop was hassling me bigtime. wasnt interested in my car at all.
SHAUNUS is offline   Reply With Quote