Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > LPG GAS Specific
G-Cylinder

Old 04-01-08, 10:49   #1
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
changing gauge in gas tank?

hey fellas the gauge in the gas tank in my car seems to go up in larger increments instead of small ones, i noticed this as i was filling up with the boot up the other day. it also affects how the digital in car gauge shows the fuel level. I know this isnt normal as the gauges in other LPG cars ive owned act much more like a standard petrol gauge. how do i change the gauge in the tank?

Last edited by vlcalais8; 04-01-08 at 10:51.
vlcalais8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 13:01   #2
6burner
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlcalais8
hey fellas the gauge in the gas tank in my car seems to go up in larger increments instead of small ones, i noticed this as i was filling up with the boot up the other day. it also affects how the digital in car gauge shows the fuel level. I know this isnt normal as the gauges in other LPG cars ive owned act much more like a standard petrol gauge. how do i change the gauge in the tank?

Job only for a qualified LPG fitter I think
6burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 20:22   #3
GASRB6
FOR SALE.

Car: Jet Powered Pram and Solar Powered Rock Daily.
Trader Rating: (4)
Dosen't seem like a major prob. I'd call the tanks manufacturer.
GASRB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 01:03   #4
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
well i fitted a new LPG/petrol switch as well as refitting the mixer, converter, all coolant hoses, safety switch, and gas lock off plus associated wiring on my car exactly how i removed them ages back when i first thought I'd run petrol only (damn prices). Done that a couple of months back and its still good, i was also told by law a LPG shop had to do this but when i was told it could get done for 200 i thought better do it myself in an hour. If i were to change the gauge i would empty the tank in a ventilated area and disconnect the battery for safety measures, just want to know how i go about it. Theres plenty of gauges i can get from a u-pull-it car yard
vlcalais8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 13:36   #5
misk
what 2jz?

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to misk
this will give you an idea of what the valve looks like behind the tank. so ckinda looks like it wouldnt be a huge job. but obviously all the gas is gonna escape.
but do u really need to have a valve that reads correct on the tank when its always covered and the one in the cabin reads correct anyway?

http://www.apamfg.com.au/main_pages/valving_apa.html

misk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 14:33   #6
Sled
Player

Car: Red over Silver VLCT [TUF.747]
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlcalais8
If i were to change the gauge i would empty the tank in a ventilated area and disconnect the battery for safety measures, just want to know how i go about it. Theres plenty of gauges i can get from a u-pull-it car yard
It's not a hard job, but better left to a pro. The last thing you want is to install a dodgy guage and have a leak, or get dirt/moisture into your tank. Make sure you have released all the vapour (not just the liquid) out of the tank before you have a crack at it

What's the test date on the tank? you have to get your tank re-tested every 10 years, so it might be coming up, in which case they will replace the guage when all the other valves are done.
Sled is offline   Reply With Quote