CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork
G-Cylinder

Old 29-05-08, 13:02   #1
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Cruise Control part ID

Hey fellas I scanned the cruise control wiring diagram from the Max Ellery book, not sure if its for the V8 or 6 cyl but Im assuming they're the same (with the exception of the servo unit and cable). I know most of the things involved except a few, can someone give me a quick run down on what the modules look like and where they are? What about the Cruise Control Actuating Solenoid? where is it and what does it look like? Also at the end of a wire they say "spliced joint"?? Thanks in advance

Last edited by vlcalais8; 29-05-08 at 13:04.
vlcalais8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-08, 14:19   #2
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Don't listen to the Max Ellery book. They were all drunk when they wrote it.

The "Cruise Control Actuating Soleniod" is the vacuum/servo unit. It is where the cable gets its pull from.

The "Cruise Control Module (LHS)" is behind the instrument cluster, screwed to the firewall. It is what the switch plugs into.

The "Cruise Control Module (RHS)" is the CC ECU. It is a black box, a bit bigger than a pack of smokes, and it lives under the driver's side dash, below the column, on the right hand side piece, clipped on its side. When you pull the plug out of it, you will see a circuit board (very distinct).
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-08, 18:42   #3
[GRK-WPN]
Player

Car: A strainer
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
The "Cruise Control Actuating Soleniod" is the vacuum/servo unit. It is where the cable gets its pull from.

The "Cruise Control Module (LHS)" is behind the instrument cluster, screwed to the firewall. It is what the switch plugs into.

The "Cruise Control Module (RHS)" is the CC ECU. It is a black box, a bit bigger than a pack of smokes, and it lives under the driver's side dash, below the column, on the right hand side piece, clipped on its side. When you pull the plug out of it, you will see a circuit board (very distinct).
now you tell me

and i have one of those little black boxes if you need it dude, came with the dash i bought

and the cruise unit looks like a rounded box. bout 20cms by 15cm and is bolted to the inside of the engine bay on the left hand side under the intake manifold, its bolted to the car itself not the actual motor

and it has vacume lines i belive....
Old 29-05-08, 19:11   #4
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
Quote:

Awesome thanks heaps mate, talk about Max ellery writers being drunk lol they call the alternator a "generator" and have so many spelling mistakes and ****ty hand drawn diagrams you'd think a kid from pre school wrote it. Never the less it was the only thing I could find, BTW is that RHS module you mentioned on both V8 and 6 cyl models? Any chance that might be the reason of my ever lasting cruise problem? So far I have changed brake switches, vac brake switch, all rear globes are working, re soldered the wires on the back of the dash, changed servo units, changed cruise switches about 3 times, checked the vac ball which is working, checked all one way valves from the vac hoses, changed the module behind the dash and still no luck. You could probably understand why Im about to burn the car to the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GRK-WPN]
now you tell me

and i have one of those little black boxes if you need it dude, came with the dash i bought

and the cruise unit looks like a rounded box. bout 20cms by 15cm and is bolted to the inside of the engine bay on the left hand side under the intake manifold, its bolted to the car itself not the actual motor

and it has vacume lines i belive....
thats cool I got 2 here, one original from the car and another I bought to put in to see if that was my problem, thanks anyway.

Last edited by vlcalais8; 29-05-08 at 19:17. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-05-08, 19:50   #5
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I had a Max Ellery for a while, and couldn't believe it was print-worthy. I find it to be well supplemented by a Gregories.

Both 6 cyl and V8 models came with the RHS module (CC ECU). Basically, the speedo converts the speed signal from mechanical to electronic in the instrument cluster, which is sent to the CC ECU. Here, speed is monitored, and changes are made to the amount of vacuum present in the servo unit. The CC module (behind the instrument cluster) interprets what buttons are being pushed on the dash (look at the number of wires between the dash button and CC module, then after the module - it changes).

Looks like you've checked/changed everything - my guess is there are some dead wires in the dash loom (which you would miss by changing parts). I had cut wires between my dash button and CC module when my cruise died; an auto elec couldn't even pick that up.
Old 29-05-08, 22:07   #6
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
great, looks like you've done your homework thanks alot again for the info. The last thing I want is a dead wire since it will probably be a joke to find, i'll see what happens. I would much prefer Gregories its soo much better and actually useful but they only do the VL 6 cyl , might be worth to get for the things the 8's and 6's have in common but for now not really worth the $$$. Anyway I'll check it out tomorrow wish me luck
Old 31-05-08, 17:44   #7
airbagsVL
Player

Car: vl turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
i thought the gregories released a 6cyl turbo & v8 version??
airbagsVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 00:40   #8
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagsVL
i thought the gregories released a 6cyl turbo & v8 version??
Pretty sure it was just 6 cyl but if could find me the 8 cyl version I'll make you my best mate
Old 04-06-08, 00:42   #9
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I never kew that they only made the 6 version. I guess so, I've never seen an 8 (never looked either!).

You might find the vacuum setup differs, but the rest should be the same.
Old 04-06-08, 00:50   #10
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
Quote:
I never kew that they only made the 6 version. I guess so, I've never seen an 8 (never looked either!).

You might find the vacuum setup differs, but the rest should be the same.
Correct, it even states this in the original GMH VL 5.0ltr manual I have it only outlines the different servo unit and for the rest it says "refer to 6 cyl cruise control set up via volume XXX" so no help there