CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork
GRUNT Performance

Old 22-11-07, 13:13   #1
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Repolishing allready polished calais wheels

hey fellas got a set of VL calais rims that have been professionally polished but are starting to look tarnished. You can still see reflections but they are dull. Just curious to know how and what to use to get the reflective shine back? cheers
vlcalais8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-07, 13:47   #2
[GRK-WPN]
Player

Car: A strainer
Trader Rating: (1)
go to supercheap or repco, grab a 4or 5 inch rubber backing pad and the wool pad to suit, should cost somthing like 7 bucks for the wool pad and 3-4 for the rubber thing.....

also get some metal polish, i use meguairs stuff, little blue tub with fluro orange lid, $20 or u can use some autosol or somthing, dont bother with the mothers stuff its not so good, and i havnt used autosol before but ive heard its good aswell

chuck the polishing pad in a drill, spread about 1/4-1/3 teaspoon of polish to the surface of the pad or smear it along the rim in a spiral pattern, polish away untill it lustres, with the autosol i htink u need 2 pads, one to apply and one to remove but with the meguairs sheit i use u just use the 1 pad n keep polishing till it goes shiny.....

heres an end result
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...B/DSC00585.jpg

ops sorry here ya go

Last edited by [GRK-WPN]; 22-11-07 at 14:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
[GRK-WPN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-07, 14:53   #3
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Car: p.o.s. mitsubishi ute, subaru liberty sti, BMW 740IL
Trader Rating: (7)
when mine need freshening up i do exactly what he said^^^
xcept i use brasso and put the drill on a rather slow speed.
they come up literally like mirrors...

(note. don't do it with them on the car... you dont want brasso or any other metal polish spraying on your paintwork)

VL 88 WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-07, 15:07   #4
[GRK-WPN]
Player

forgot to add in the take off the car bit lol..... ya its heaps easier with em off the car!

and dude try some of the meguairs sh!t, it actually protects the metal n puts like a coating on it so like u can touch it with greasy fingers n then wipe it str8 off with a cloth... unlike other polishes that just "clean"

i got on of the valves replaced on 1 of my rims n the mechanic that took it offn put it back on was hella greasy hands..... , gave it a wipe with a cloth n there ya go, mirror again.

AND when u get ur car washed at a place, tell em to dry the rims off properly coz they only chamy the car and leave the rims to dry naturally, this makes em fade too from the water......
Old 22-11-07, 16:21   #5
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
awesome thanks heaps fellas much appreciated off to grab some meguiars i reckon, probably try using my 10 inch orbital polisher too i'll let yas know how it goes
Old 22-11-07, 16:29   #6
stockrock
Player

Car: VLT Calais
Trader Rating: (4)
nothing that a bit of autosol, a rag, a soft polishing cloth and a little elbow grease cant do.

i never tried that maguiers stuff, sounds good...
Old 22-11-07, 17:25   #7
[GRK-WPN]
Player

is it that 10 inch one with the 2 big handles on it? and it vibrates heaps ? dont even bother...... itll be useless

its gotta be a turning motion, those orbital things suck
Old 23-11-07, 23:05   #8
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
had a shot with one of the rims using a tube of autosol i remembered was lying around, it came up 10 times better than expected. The amount of black oxidised crap that came off was unreal. Just done a quick job and was impressed with the results, highly recommend using autosol to anyone planning on doing this to their allready polished rims. By the way i ended up using an old t shirt and elbow grease to apply/rub the polish in then used the 5 inch drill rubber bit with 5 inch polish pad to remove so if i can find a 5 inch applicator it probably would have come out beter.
Old 24-11-07, 14:07   #9
[GRK-WPN]
Player

what 5 inch thing are you using?

u just keep polishing untill its shiny, it brings up the black sh1t too n then takes it away completely.......thats with the meguairs stuff..

is the pad ur using the fluffy wool one? if it use, apply the polish and just keep polishing till its shiny....
Old 24-11-07, 21:04   #10
vlcalais8
Player

Car:
there a 5 inch rubber backing with a drill bit attatched that goes in the chuck of the drill, then a 5 inch woolen fluffy pad i was using to get rid of the autosol i rubbed in using a cloth. I just need to get a 5 inch applicator if there is one