Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
JD CUSTOM

Old 09-03-14, 14:46   #1
weetee
Player

Car: VLT wagon , 2002 Hiace
Trader Rating: (0)
VL Calais turbo build NZ

Hi all think its about time I start a thread on my VL Calais turbo. Ive had a few VLs in my time and have always planned to turbo one. Went through a few to find the right one and ended up doing it on a genuine s2 Calais. Ive had it for about 6 months and was already converted to manual when I got it. I live in New Zealand and as some of you might know vls and parts are getting harder to come by I think we only had 12 genuine vlts sold thru a Holden dealer in NZ and the rest of the vlt where imported privately so bugger all 30ets around. I had been collecting up all the parts for a rb30e+t kit for the past year or so and had them all ready to go did some hectic traveling and hunting but got them in the end. Heres a list of everything I got.
Low mount manifold
Factory vlt turbo (reconed)
Oil lines/banjo bolt and return fitting
Vlt ecu
Redtop rb20det injectors (identical to brown tops)
FMIC and 3 piping
Boost tap and boost gauge
Dose pipe 

Was going to give the conversion a go myself, after reading allot of threads it seemed quite easy and straight forward but also read of a lot of home jobs going wrong and with not having a decent garage or place to do it I took it to a local rb guru and he did it for me along with the cambelt, water pump ect ect. Did a good job and was quite cheap considering all the extra little fiddly things he had to do. Got a 2.5 exhaust with 2 resonators its really quiet so might get rid of 1 and im not too happy with the 3 Intercooler piping think its a bit big for my little turbo so will eventually get some 2.5 piping.
Its running 6pis at the moment would like to have it at 8psi but will start playing around with that once I get some new intercooler piping. Runs well and doses hard so im happy for now.
As for the body and condition with the rest of the car its not too bad the interior needs a good clean and a few things that it was missing, Calais steering wheel, electric window switch was buggered , centre console lid and some rear head rest that im still looking for in sandalwood for s2 Calais. The body is not too bad the paint is ****ed n faded but I was always planning to repaint it so wasnt to fussed. Only has the odd trolley ding and seems to be quite straight. Has good chrome trim its only missing the front right one even has the trim around the guards . The popup lights is missing the motor but I sauced a complete working Calais front so will have them up and running in no time.
Since Ive had it back Ive put it on 20s so I can go for a cert. ill keep you updated with the progress as I get more done slowly , hope you like it any tips or advise would be good Thanks

http://imageshack.com/a/img802/6525/iskj.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img837/3332/bp7f.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img713/4269/2vmg.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/3708/vlkz.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/2845/u53n.jpg
weetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 06:28   #2
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Nice project. Red is a bitch of a color when it's old.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 13:13   #3
weetee
Player

Cheers Mate, will try suss the pics so they come up on the thread .
Old 12-03-14, 15:03   #4
MUS
Chunky but funky

Wrap the link with this [IMG] [/IMG] then they will be visible.
Or alternatively post your links into the yellow box with the mountain looking things in the msg box.
Old 12-03-14, 15:31   #5
weetee
Player

Thanks for that, car went for cert today just need 2 drive shaft hoops and a wheel alignment print off happy days

Old 13-03-14, 02:52   #6
MUS
Chunky but funky

When you upload your images to a host, resize them or else they become ginormous like this.