User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand
Tyres Now

Old 27-09-14, 18:32   #7201
ZOO222
Gold Members

Car: 1988 Vacationer
Trader Rating: (0)
Does it have a bung O2 sensor maybe? or maybe the afm has seen better days ?
ZOO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-14, 18:47   #7202
VL-Dan
Player

Car: VL Berlina Sedan, VL Berlina Wagon, VL GTS...
I now present to you.....What is possibly New Zealand's most rooted VLT

Now before you go searching the number plate on carjam.....at some stage in it's 27 year life somebody has ripped the tags off it, replaced them with New Zealand assembled Berlina 3L tags and riveted them to the firewall (New Zealand cars have their tags below the left strut tower). It's also had a number of parts swapped with the other 2 VL's on the property, but unfortunately neither of them have the missing Turbo tags

And on with the show

And the money shot

Lucky for me, when they swapped the body tags they didn't realise that Aussie Assembled cars have a number stamped into the left strut tower next to the top mount...It's still there and ends in 'M' indicating it was built in Melbourne. If I'm really lucky, the build sheet will be somewhere under the carpet and tell me the full story of what the car is.....
VL-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-14, 22:55   #7203
12maneym
Gold Members

Car: lw5 berlina turbo wagon A9Y wagon turbo
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to 12maneym
Man that is ****ed ! But can be saved
Old 27-09-14, 23:27   #7204
NZMike
Gold Members

Car: VYII SS, VL SL Turbo
That's a pretty crazy find. Going to try to save it? Or far too gone?
NZMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-14, 05:53   #7205
VL-Dan
Player

The photo's don't tell the complete story haha....
The rear end is so rusty, that you can push down on the rear quarter panels and it's like they are on hinges
Also, my old man leaned on the left front part of the nosecone and his hand basically fell through (had to laugh at that).
Then we tried to open the boot and the outer skin lifted, but the inner bootlid shell stayed behind

What's a little more annoying is the rego for this car is on hold, but because the plates and tags are off another vehicle they don't mean bugger all...If it had it's original tags the outcome might be a little different
Old 28-09-14, 07:15   #7206
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Anything can be saved,But at what cost??
And maybe there is a Bogus BLT running around now because of the missing tags.
Keep the number off the strut for future reference Dan.

Cheers Marty
Old 28-09-14, 11:16   #7207
convert
Player

Car: hilux
Trader Rating: (1)
It must be something more than an sl
The rear headrests, bonnet insulation etc
What is the number on the strut tower?
The tag on the firewall that's there now. What does it say?
The NZ assembled berlinas had a body coloured tag on the guard just down from the strut tower, they didn't have the emissions decal nor did they have a silver plate like the one that's there. The Aussy built NZ new ones had one silver tag only with the vehicles details as per every other Aussy built Vl NZ just didn't require the compliance plate apparently(correct me if I'm wrong).
Will be very interesting to see if there is a build sheet under the carpet.
Fingers crossed for that mate.
A good find non the less!
Old 28-09-14, 12:22   #7208
VL-Dan
Player

It appears to be either SL or Executive based....The seats (which are original) are plain, although the rear headrest's are baffling...
The original door cards are in one of the other VL's and are just plain vinyl (usually SL).
It's got a Calais interior light (which I believe some BT1's came with) and also has Air Con (usually Berlina/Calais spec)....

Yeah both of my Berlina's are Aussie assembled Kiwi new and just have the one shiney body tag on the firewall along with the long skinny Vin tag.

Here's a pic of the firewall tag, it's a Kiwi tag which has been riveted in place. The vin number on this tag matches the number plates. Picture isn't very good but I can see where the previous Aussie tags (Body, Compliance, Vin) used to be...

The number stamped into the top of the strut tower is "AVL022251M". Picture I got isn't good but that's what I can read of it.

Now the long wait for the owner to pull it out of it's current position....Hopefully it doesn't break in half haha
Old 28-09-14, 13:26   #7209
NZ_GTS
Player

Car: '87 VL GTS Cherry Black Mica with RB25DET inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZMike View Post
Cheers for picking that up, Yea when i put them on i just googled "VL Gas struts" and saw a picture with them that way so thats what i did :-P.

---------- Post added 27-09-14 at 10:32 ----------

Well. I got my new cas and bearing installed and took it for a drive and I still have the miss. So far I've changed Spark plugs, coil, crank angle sensor, both internal and external fuel pumps, fuel filter. The spark leads were brand new a month before I took the car off the road, so they should still be ok.

Also the reason why I replaced my pumps was because they were making this horrible whirring noise and after my drive today it made the same noise again.

My fuel injectors have been reconditioned too.

Starting to feel like giving up on it.
VLs came with noisy fuel pumps as standard... Have you checked the distributor - mine had a cracked rotor or something at one stage, and when it got hot it developed a miss.

---------- Post added 28-09-14 at 16:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Dan View Post
The photo's don't tell the complete story haha....
The rear end is so rusty, that you can push down on the rear quarter panels and it's like they are on hinges
Also, my old man leaned on the left front part of the nosecone and his hand basically fell through (had to laugh at that).
Then we tried to open the boot and the outer skin lifted, but the inner bootlid shell stayed behind

What's a little more annoying is the rego for this car is on hold, but because the plates and tags are off another vehicle they don't mean bugger all...If it had it's original tags the outcome might be a little different
Sweet find! How did you even find it?! Body is clearly passed it- the mind boggles as to how it even rusted out so bad!
NZ_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-14, 17:50   #7210
convert
Player

Ahh I see what's happened now. I couldn't make out the NZ plate in the first photos.
When can you pick it up?
Old 28-09-14, 18:48   #7211
VL-Dan
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_GTS View Post
Sweet find! How did you even find it?!

Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by convert View Post
When can you pick it up?
All depends on the old guy...as you can see he needs to move afew things out of the way first but he said it would be done within a month so hopefully that's how it pans out
Old 28-09-14, 21:10   #7212
NZ_BT1
VL Turbo BT1

Send a message via MSN to NZ_BT1
Haha wow where the hell has that been sitting? ? Beside the sea LOL far out!!! When you get it kick the owner in the head and make sure he can't breed...how anyone could let something like that rot away is beyond me!!!. Oh and some bt1s had aircon like mine did which means that they had no power steering like mine it was usually no power steering and aircon or power steering and no aircon...my executive turbo had a calais light along with aircon and power steering :-) . It can be saved my family has prooved that many a time and is currently with Dads MK2 supra as some of you have seen :-)
Old 29-09-14, 03:41   #7213
weetee
Player

Car: VLT wagon , 2002 Hiace
Whoa , what a state. How on earth did you find that ? Are you like me and look up every westy looking houses driveway hoping to see a vl ? Keep us posted on what you find . In the mean time welcome to the A8 club .
weetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-14, 06:25   #7214
NZMike
Gold Members

Quote:
VLs came with noisy fuel pumps as standard... Have you checked the distributor - mine had a cracked rotor or something at one stage, and when it got hot it developed a miss.
Yea there is the normal noisy pump sound and then there is this. I wish i took a video of the sound but didn't think of it at the time.
Here is a video of the old pumps making the same/similar noise: http://1drv.ms/1t8WS0h

Ill try to get hold of a second distributor as i do think the plastic on the rotor arm is cracked. Its a clean straight cut/crack so i thought it might have meant to be like that. My miss starts to effect it less as the car warms up. Really bad when first driving but after about 5-10 kms of open road it settles down, but still there. Also my detination sensor keeps retarding the timing if i'm accelerating quickly, if i put my timing to 10 - 12 degrees it doesn't. I'm also running the car on 98 octane so really it should run nice on 20 degrees. I'm hoping the issue is related. :-S.

Last edited by NZMike; 29-09-14 at 06:52.
Old 29-09-14, 16:22   #7215
NZ_GTS
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZMike View Post
Yea there is the normal noisy pump sound and then there is this. I wish i took a video of the sound but didn't think of it at the time.
Here is a video of the old pumps making the same/similar noise: http://1drv.ms/1t8WS0h

Ill try to get hold of a second distributor as i do think the plastic on the rotor arm is cracked. Its a clean straight cut/crack so i thought it might have meant to be like that. My miss starts to effect it less as the car warms up. Really bad when first driving but after about 5-10 kms of open road it settles down, but still there. Also my detination sensor keeps retarding the timing if i'm accelerating quickly, if i put my timing to 10 - 12 degrees it doesn't. I'm also running the car on 98 octane so really it should run nice on 20 degrees. I'm hoping the issue is related. :-S.
Are you running stock fuel pumps? I have an aftermarket Bosch pump, and it ain't much quieter than that! Did you replace the pump with a new one or a second hand unit?

Definitely try replacing the rotor arm. You should be able to find a new one for a few bucks.
Old 29-09-14, 18:14   #7216
NZMike
Gold Members

Quote:
Are you running stock fuel pumps? I have an aftermarket Bosch pump, and it ain't much quieter than that! Did you replace the pump with a new one or a second hand unit?

Definitely try replacing the rotor arm. You should be able to find a new one for a few bucks.
It had an external 070 "knockoff" pump on it when i got it, not sure what the internal pump was, either way the internal wasn't working. I have replaced it with a factory replacement Goss internal pump and a walbro 255 external pump. The walbro is overall quieter but just that one instance it went loud and high pitched. Took the car for a drive tonight and the pump sounded fine. Maybe it was just low on petrol, doesn't help having a broken fuel gauge

I changed over the airflow meter to my spare one to give that ago, put some more petrol in and took it for a quick drive. It still had the miss but it didn't "retard the timing" like it use to do under acceleration so thats a plus.

I had a guy locally who said i can buy his spare distributor off him for $40 asked to pick it up and he stopped replying
Old 30-09-14, 17:11   #7217
VL-Dan
Player

Out with the old....

And in with the new....

That's right, I've removed the extractors in order to return the car to factory specs....
Old 30-09-14, 20:51   #7218
convert
Player

Nice, that's one lucky GTS haha.
Have you had the front pipe hpc coated?
Old 01-10-14, 16:42   #7219
VL-Dan
Player

Yeah, not to my specifications but I can live with it. Asked them to do it in silver, old man went and picked it up and they gave him that which I would call polished.....
Apparently that is their version of silver? Hmmmmm oh well it's all fitted up now

Now onto more unmodifying modifications
Old 01-10-14, 19:01   #7220
convert
Player

Yeah that's rather shiny.
Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to get coated?
Looks the goods mate.
Old 02-10-14, 16:03   #7221
VL-Dan
Player

Cost $126 all up....$100 for the coating itself and $26 to strip the old paint off. As a comparison the extractors I took off (also coated by HPC) cost $338....They've been on the car for 5 years and none of the coating has burnt off.
Old 03-10-14, 05:03   #7222
ZOO222
Gold Members

Car: 1988 Vacationer
going to drop my diff this weekend and swap in my LSD disc rear end. Should be no problems doing it in the driveway ?
ZOO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 15:47   #7223
NZ_GTS
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOO222 View Post
going to drop my diff this weekend and swap in my LSD disc rear end. Should be no problems doing it in the driveway ?
Apart from the rain - nah should be no dramas! I swapped mine out just with the car on jack stands in the garage. Helps to have another set of hands, but it's a simple job otherwise.
Old 03-10-14, 20:19   #7224
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
nz thread going off tits!

that gts / formula hack-up looks like it was once a nice car. i agree sl. it has an sl / exec tape deck which isn't something youd normally downgrade to.
Old 05-10-14, 14:04   #7225
NZMike
Gold Members

Quote:
VLs came with noisy fuel pumps as standard... Have you checked the distributor - mine had a cracked rotor or something at one stage, and when it got hot it developed a miss.!
Well i got a new bosch rotor and installed it yesterday. I also replaced some of my leads which had a few minor cuts in them.

Took it for my usual test drive and it made no difference. I waited till it was fully warmed up as it usually evens out. and accelerated quickly and the whole car bogged down again, hasn't done that since i replaced the air flow meter.
I pulled over to do some checks and found a little fuel dribbling out of a connection on the engine side of the fuel filter, I've never had a fuel leak from there before. The fuel pump also started to make that noise again so i took a video.
http://1drv.ms/10A24Dp
The 2 fuel pumps are brand new as well as the fuel filter. Im starting to wonder if there is an electrical issue and the fuel pump isn't getting enough power. or there is a blockage somewhere in the system. In the video you hear the pump start to go quiet and when it does the car almost stalls.