CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork
G-Cylinder

Old 29-12-14, 23:31   #1
gold-vlt
Player

Car: fg xr6t daily, 88 vl series 200, 86 vl executive wagon, e46 323i
Trader Rating: (7)
Tubbing a VL Wagon!?

HI, I need some help on a issue that's holding back my project. I was wondering if anyone knows what is the widest rim/tyre combo you can run under a vl wagon that has been mini-tubbed?

I know mini-tubbing the wagon probably isn't worth it as even then that will only bring the tubs to roughly stock vl sedan width. The main goal is for the car to still remain street registered so full tubs would be out of the question.

I did measure and compare both the wagon and sedan tubs and from memory the wagon tubs were about and inch and a bit narrower than the sedan.

Since the car will be putting down some decent power I would really like to get some decent sized tyres under there as the car will be raced at events as well as driven on the street. That and I was hoping to fit a decent set of convo pro's or some widened steelies with vlt hub caps.

Now here are some problems I have come across:

*I want to keep the rear fold down seat so that it functions as per usual.

*The rear seat swings on a bracket that is mounted on the inner tub. So if the tub moves in, so does the bracket. (seat stays same width) doesnt fit.

*moving the tubs inwards will make the tubs start to protrude into the foam backing of the rear seat and possibly past the front of the seat in the corners where the tubs meet. Unless perhaps the seat was mounted slightly forward off the front of the new tubs, in which case, you may get away with it but the side profile of the upper rear seat may be too far forward in relation the the shape of the door frame. (want it to look factory as possible)

*tubbing the rear tubs in any form will most likely involve the backing metal of the rear seat to be cut and modified with underlying foam removed.

*the fold down metal flap would have to be shortened to fit between the tubs.

*my factory passenger side tub has some damage where an old repair has been done so i don't really want to re-use it. I would get pre bead rolled tubs from VPW etc or drill some out of another wagon and use those. The sharper the edge of the tub the more I would imagine it would protrude towards the front of the seat

*mini tubs alone may not fulfil the intended purpose which is to fit some decently wide tyres.

One idea I did have to make it work was to trim the fold down flap the same distance that the 2x tubs have moved inward and also do the same with the rear seat.

Possibly have rear seat to tub mount points slightly in front of stock position and instead of having brackets on the outer tubs just have a washer/spacer in between the outer tub and side of seat with a bolt holding it through a hole directly through side of the inner tub behind the wheel.

I know it's alot of stuffing around, but if it can be done well I want to give it a go.

Are there any other options that people know of?
I would seriously appreciate if someone could help me out with some good info. I've done a fair bit of searching and have found nothing of use. Cheers.

Last edited by gold-vlt; 29-12-14 at 23:46.
gold-vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 10:47   #2
gold-vlt
Player

So no one here has tubbed a wagon and kept their back seats?
Old 02-01-15, 16:08   #3
caged
Player

Car: patrol tow car
Trader Rating: (0)
Mine was still had rego and QLD legal with mini tubs of only for a month or so till I back halved it after the lower arms failed on the first outing using 28x9 mt slicks taking out all the hard work I had done and the diff, tailshaft and coilovers in the process. Anyway I scribed a line around the top of the tub including the fuel neck filler part 25mm off the body work then on the floor as well squared a line out off the body front and back then scribed a second line on the floor at I think it was 75mm to give 50mm extra once you move it over. The side of the chassis get plated back in with some 3mm plate then stitch in some 0.95mm sheet metal over the gap around the top of the tubs. Now the seat can get costly being that the tubs still have the factory shape you need to unpick the upholstery and foam then cut 50mm roughly a side but don't cut the seat latch area and play stitch in around that so only the tub clearance part moves in not the top section then take it and the upholstery to the upholsterer and they can mod the factory stuff to fit back on. The corner of the exposed extra piece of tub just needs some similar coloured carpet glued over to tidy it up.

---------- Post added 02-01-15 at 16:14 ----------

Good luck
caged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:30   #4
gold-vlt
Player

do you have any pics of the mini tubs being done?
Old 11-01-15, 19:33   #5
gold-vlt
Player

bump!
Old 26-01-15, 21:22   #6
caged
Player

Car: patrol tow car
Trader Rating: (0)
Sorry got no picks of the final product. But I do remember pulling my hair out and scratching a hole in my hat to get it to look factoryish.
caged is offline   Reply With Quote