JD CUSTOM

Old 09-11-12, 17:40   #1
bigrob
Player

Car: 88 VL Exec, 88 VLT Berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
high compression rb30e help

Something a little different from the usual:
Looking at raising the CR of my engine to build a decent-ish NA engine. Options are: shaving the head 20thou (any ideas on how high this will raise it to?), or if anyone can recommend any pistons that would suit to bump it up a bit, I'm trying to get maybe around 10.5:1. This will be matched with a nice port and polish, and a Camtech CT503 517 cam. Aiming for around 130atw, although more would be nice, possibly going to go nistune and slightly bigger injectors. Thoughts, ideas, and what I should expect?
Cheers boys and girls

Last edited by bigrob; 09-11-12 at 17:43.
bigrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 17:43   #2
Woggster
Player

Car: The BAT MOBILE
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to Woggster
I think SYK086 did a high comp N/A RB30 motor for his car and there was a purple/silver VL Calais with an N/A RB30/26 combo. I'd wait for them to reply or speak with a tuner e.g. Maatouks as i know they do Hi Comp N/A RB30 motors now
Old 09-11-12, 21:20   #3
bigrob
Player

any ideas what power figures they made? I'd like to stay sohc, but twin cam isn't out of the picture.

---------- Post added 09-11-12 at 22:29 ----------

been having a read of this:
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...omp-sohc-rb30/
informative, but a bit inconclusive. Anyone have any more details on using rb25 pistons for example? I don't want to spend much money if possible, and it's NA so no need for forgies.
Old 12-11-12, 10:37   #4
bigrob
Player

anyone? How much will shaving the head increase my compression by, I went to a shop and they said 20thou should be safe, anyone got anything to add to/say about this? If I get decent compression just by shaving I won't bother changing pistons, just want a bit more
bigrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 12:07   #5
trackbt1
Player

Car: new gold wags, the hearse(drift pig), vl BT1 turbo, vt V6 taxi(1:52:511 at Winton, 1:12:03 at Symmons)
you could calculate it, someone might know exactly but if you know the cc of the combustion chamber standard then subract roughly the area at 20 thou in mm, decent head gaskets tell you the the cc of gasket at 1 and 1.2mm
not much help but just an idea
trackbt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 21:46   #6
bigrob
Player

that thing sounds mental, much want! Yeah I've been googling it a bit, my cam will be quite nice for what I want, a little above gts2 spec without needing too many revs and being a hassle. I'm planning on doing a nice polish job, inside of plenum, runners etc as well as a bit of porting, nothing dramatic. So you say 25det pistons will give me around 10:1? Can anyone back that up? Might be worth a shot, and I'll deck the head to give a bit more probably. See how much I can push the good old 30e without going twin cam, it's weird I know but I have a bit of an attachment to sohc and I like to have a car that's a bit surprising
Old 11-02-13, 21:59   #7
sle3per
***** Mech-nick

Car: VL calais,
hi/comp really wont make that much of a difference if your going about it the way you are.

you have to understand compression is only really determined by the amount of fuel and air mixture in the cylinder on compression stroke being compacted into the compression chamber itself, the quickest way to achive more comp is by shaving the head maybe 20 thou to be safe, but then again if ur head isnt pocket ported and cleaned up u eliminate even maximising your 'mod' to its full potential.

ROAD SPORT SOLUTIONS
sle3per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-13, 23:42   #8
bachig24u
Player

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
that thing sounds mental, much want! Yeah I've been googling it a bit, my cam will be quite nice for what I want, a little above gts2 spec without needing too many revs and being a hassle. I'm planning on doing a nice polish job, inside of plenum, runners etc as well as a bit of porting, nothing dramatic. So you say 25det pistons will give me around 10:1? Can anyone back that up? Might be worth a shot, and I'll deck the head to give a bit more probably. See how much I can push the good old 30e without going twin cam, it's weird I know but I have a bit of an attachment to sohc and I like to have a car that's a bit surprising

I did some numbers the other day for a N/A RB30E conversion so they will be the same. 0.5mm (20thou)thinner headgasket would increase the comp by just over 0.2:1. Be the same if you machined the head or the block.

I think the NA is 9.5:1 assuming it hasn't been machined already.
you'd need to take off more than 20thou to get the comp to 10:1 if thats what you are after.
Before you do anything, measure the piston to valve clearance regardless. Only measurement will give you any element of safety.

Best check with an engine builder to chose suitable compression ratio for the fuel you use, and then see if it can be done with the choice of camshaft.
ECU Calibration Engineer - Tuner

Last edited by bachig24u; 11-02-13 at 23:45.
bachig24u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 17:10   #9
FLY-03L
Official Member

Car: 5 Speed VL SL
Trader Rating: (6)
N.a comp is 9.0:1... turbo is 7.8:1
Old 12-02-13, 20:02   #10
bachig24u
Player

That sounds about right, thats why a 2.5mm-3mm gasket will drop the comp about 1 - 1.2 points to around the 7.8-8.0 mark to get set for a turbo.
Old 12-02-13, 22:42   #11
sle3per
***** Mech-nick

cometic motha fu kazz dont go crazy thick a 1.3 will do the job nicely if your going turbo

ROAD SPORT SOLUTIONS
Old 13-02-13, 07:05   #12
bachig24u
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle3per View Post
cometic motha fu kazz dont go crazy thick a 1.3 will do the job nicely if your going turbo

He's not.
Old 13-02-13, 10:11   #13
sle3per
***** Mech-nick

He ll spend more money trying to achieve more comp were as forced induction would be the cheaper easier alternative .

ROAD SPORT SOLUTIONS
Old 14-02-13, 16:18   #14
FLY-03L
Official Member

Car: 5 Speed VL SL
1.3 is standard thickness
Old 16-03-13, 18:28   #15
RB30DEVL
Player

Car: VY SS Commodore
re - high compression RB30

Quote:
Aiming for around 130atw
My RB30DE was probably putting out that sort of power (actually, I'd say it would've been, I was able to get up to 180 km/h in 3rd gear), the listed power for an RB30DE is that, an RB25DE is 110RWKW, for the VVT motor.

I was thinking about building a fresh motor using 9.0:1 compression RB26 pistons (0.020" oversized) in my spare RB30 block and getting that decked by 0.5mm to give a compression ratio of around 10:1 with a piston to deck height of -0.52mm, or if I didn't get that decked, the compression ratio would sit at 9.6:1 with a piston to deck height of -1.02mm.

The twin cam head would be the cheapest option which would yield the same or better results as if you were to use the single cam head and bigger cam.

I don't know what it is with the boys in Newcastle, they seem to have a problem with me since I whipped their backsides in my VL (the other person was driving an EF Falcon, yeah Ford so probably "THERE YOU GO !!!!").

What I mean is both the Commodores have aluminium heads & blocks in them, etc, they seem to hate anything that's not an all iron costruction like they're all backward and I'm UnAustralian or some crap like that !!!!
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 21:28   #16
gerg_r31
Player

Car: R31 Skyline
I personally built a n/a rb26/30 (personally machined and assembled)

225.6hp, 10.75:1 intentionally mis matched cams, flow bench porting, blue printing, ram tubes etc

being different can be expensive, (i spent over 14k on just the motor) and eventually you get over it so its for sale;

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=269929

Last edited by gerg_r31; 12-06-13 at 23:15.
gerg_r31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-13, 21:17   #17
WhiteExec
Player

Car: 1988 White Exec on 14's
you got any more specs on the cam dude?

sounds similar to what i got from camtech

but keep in mind, which is also what the bloke told me that shaved my head and he has a point

you can shave the head but no point if your bottom end has a few hundred thousand ks on it and is pretty worn, luckily my bottom end had 1mm over size pistons from being freshly recoed all i had to do was change the rings which they didnt even need to be changed but i did anyway since the engine was out and the head off

new bearings all round aswell as rings and atleast you know that its 99% good to cope with the higher compression

if you are unsure if your bottom end needs bearings etc, take everything to the engine builder or engineering shop and they should be able to help you providing they dont just want your money, luckily enough the shop i just "walked into off the street" was full of top blokes and the owner was down to earth and knew exactly what i wanted and he gave it to me, at a decent price i reckon too

Head shaved
new camtech springs
2 new sets of rings (because i broke one and had to buy another full set)
full set of bearings, mains and conrod
camtech cam, not a re ground cam but a new cam
3 way and 4 way cuts on the valve seats and the valves cut to suite
head pressure tested etc
run in and assembly honey

all for just over a grand, which IMHO is a top price considering the cam alone cost $400 and his after support was absolutely awesome, you dont get guys that help you over the phone these days, its usually "youll have to bring it in and have us look at it"

where this bloke sat there for hours on end running me through this n that down to the last nut n bolt, end result

turn the key and the thing purred like a kitten

Best part of it, feels like a stock VLT and its NA
WhiteExec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-13, 10:23   #18
ProTig
Gold Members

Car: BT1
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to ProTig
Rb25de pistons(can't remember what comp t gave but was very reasonable)
Shaved head
Aggressive cam
Extractors
Cat back
Intake manifold of your choice

Should give some decent power na

And then nitrous for when you want some real power
ProTig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 17:02   #19
elare69
Gold Members

Car: calais turbo
Send a message via MSN to elare69
whats good comp ratio wit rb26/30 trying get 9.8 wit unleaded fuel
elare69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-13, 16:34   #20
TuffNaVl
Player

Car:
I have a built NA motor. it made 144.3 rwkw dropping off and running rich at 4.5k.

Camtech stage 2 cam (1500-5500)
ported heads (home job brothers first attempt came out good)
20 thou off the head
Extractors 200 cell cat into a 2.5 sports.
XF thorttle body, 76mm intake pipeing with a k&n panel filter.
VLT mx7 gearbox.
VLT turbo diff.
Replaced clutch fan with thermo fan.
Full rebuilt engine with upgraded valve springs.

went for a dyno run on low timing as my injector duty was at 90% with the aftermarket ecu. estimated to make 150rwkw but sparkplug rattled loose. Will hopefully get another tuner and looking at 155rwkw. Yet to be down the dragstrip but hopeing for a mid to low 14. sat next to an NA FG xr6 6 speed manual with zaust and cold air with 4 cylinder low on compression. also sits next 32's with FMIC and zaust.
TuffNaVl is offline   Reply With Quote